Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Dusty said:

So the best thing we need to do is have no defensive formation or system? That doesn’t make any sense and it’s what got ole sacked. You absolutely have to have a system a top level football. 

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from what I wrote!

The players don't believe in the system and find it too hard to implement / or it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying therefore don't have a system, I'm saying have one that's less complex / they do understand / they believe in.

Just now, 5waller5 said:

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from what I wrote!

The players don't believe in the system and find it too hard to implement / or it doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying therefore don't have a system, I'm saying have one that's less complex / they do understand / they believe in.

It certainly looks like everything has been overcomplicated and the players don’t know where to be— and instead of simplifying things, the coaching staff is confusing the players. 

7 minutes ago, The_77 said:

It certainly looks like everything has been overcomplicated and the players don’t know where to be— and instead of simplifying things, the coaching staff is confusing the players. 

Agreed. And that's why I think it's the end of the road for BR - The team is confused, they've stopped listening now

6 hours ago, turlo said:

Achieving the clubs targets set by the owners/board of qualifying for Europe and challenging for silverware in his first two seasons is generally considered a success. 

Correct. For the last two seasons he could genuinely consider those seasons were a success.

However the way this season is panning out its looking somewhat unlikely...

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Agreed. And that's why I think it's the end of the road for BR - The team is confused, they've stopped listening now

Im sorry but no point in getting rid of BR ,can see the point ,he is not a bad manager ,so let's give him some slack 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John rayner said:

Im sorry but no point in getting rid of BR ,can see the point ,he is not a bad manager ,so let's give him some slack 

He’s had plenty of slack. He was lucky to survive the post covid collapse. 3 seasons in a row the team have completely collapsed, just this time he wont get saved by the bell. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I personally think leaving him til the end of the season relegates us. The defence is truly abysmal and gets worse not better each game. The belief that 2 half fit returning young defenders will resolve this is clutching at straws.  Unless you are a truly world class level manager you are never going to stay in a job longer than 4/5 years. There's a shelf life. Rodgers has had 3 years and reached his. Be it now or end of the season he's not got long left and giving him a transfer budget to spend on defenders having flushed 15m+ down the toilet on vestergard and Bertrand is a daft idea especially when the defensive problem is system not personnel.

I quite agree that our defence has been abysmal and will probably mean a bottom-half finish unless remedied.

But I reckon expecting relegation is overstating it - simply because we do have strong goal-scoring capacity.

- For PL goals conceded, we rank 17th out of 20. Only Watford, Newcastle & Norwich have conceded more.

- But for PL goals scored, we rank 6th out of 20. Only Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham & Man Utd have scored more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I quite agree that our defence has been abysmal and will probably mean a bottom-half finish unless remedied.

But I reckon expecting relegation is overstating it - simply because we do have strong goal-scoring capacity.

- For PL goals conceded, we rank 17th out of 20. Only Watford, Newcastle & Norwich have conceded more.

- But for PL goals scored, we rank 6th out of 20. Only Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, West Ham & Man Utd have scored more.

We're basically just upmarket Blackpool 2010/11.

Which isn't quite what I'd hoped we'd go on to be after the two 5th placed finishes.

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

That says something is wrong with our defensive trading, coaching and tactics. Maybe Rogers knows this but he can’t sack his own coaching staff so shields them and blames the players. Very disjointed we are not a collective unit.

I feel the mistakes and lack of concentration is also down to mental fatigue. I have assumptions why, but I’m sure others would disagree.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

That's insane we're scoring so much considering the dull brand of football we're playing atm. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Very interesting stats. I didn't realise we'd scored so many. 

2 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I personally think leaving him til the end of the season relegates us.

I don't think we're that bad in terms of the league.

By our own understandably high expectations, we're well below par. 

But there are far worse teams in the league. Not that that's any saving grace as without that buffer we do still need to sort shit out. 

57 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

If the defence was merely bad I'd totally agree. There's more than enough goals in this team which isn't the case with most relegated sides. The problem though is that the defence is currently several levels below bad. Scoring 3 goals in a game quite feasibly won't be enough for a point. Rodgers is done as far as I'm concerned, his methods stagnant. He won't be able to fix this. Keeping Rodgers for the season means you're completely banking on keeping a high scoring rate whilst confidence and mood in the stands and dressing room is constantly eroded by a horrendous defence. Maybe we'd scrape home due to the even greater weakness of 3 other teams but it would be mighty close.

1 minute ago, willie-bell-in-rothley said:

Our last 2 away games Leeds & Villa and Watford at home we were singing ''30 year and you've won fook all'' please get a grip and be realistic, i wouldnt want any of their players or management crews over what we have, we will come out of with Brendan, and he will get the credit.

What do you consider to be a realistic expectation at the minute? 

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I mean...Puel ball lasted how long? Brendan has enough in the bank he can survive a dodgy season I reckon. 

Not saying I agree with it but EPL money dwarfs Conference or Europa money. If we crash out in March but finish 12th, that's still more than we'd get going to a final vs Olympiakos or something. 

Was it ever eradicated?

As people say we've played some good stuff under Rodgers, we've also played some god-awful stuff, usually split in half of every season, come the turn of the year it rears it's ugly head, returning to some form of successful play at the beginning of a new season, that's not happened this season however and we've been poor for approaching 12 months now.

It's a 50/50 split between being good and being disgusting under Rodgers, however that is on the tipping edge (I'm being lenient, it's probably well over) of disgusting outweighing the good.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gubbins said:

I personally think leaving him til the end of the season relegates us. The defence is truly abysmal and gets worse not better each game. The belief that 2 half fit returning young defenders will resolve this is clutching at straws.  Unless you are a truly world class level manager you are never going to stay in a job longer than 4/5 years. There's a shelf life. Rodgers has had 3 years and reached his. Be it now or end of the season he's not got long left and giving him a transfer budget to spend on defenders having flushed 15m+ down the toilet on vestergard and Bertrand is a daft idea especially when the defensive problem is system not personnel.

Never gonna get relegated talk about an exaggeration!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not yours.

Apparently so

I think I said 65+ points and then cups were very much dependent on draws, though I did also expect us to qualify out of our Europa league with Napoli.

What were your expectations?

I think the "don't know what this competition is" line has been taken slightly out of context. He probably meant more about the teams we could face and how it works rather than believing it's not worthwhile (he may think that at some point but not when the question was asked).

Plenty of other comments to be annoyed about ahead of that one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I think the "don't know what this competition is" line has been taken slightly out of context. He probably meant more about the teams we could face and how it works rather than believing it's not worthwhile (he may think that at some point but not when the question was asked).

Plenty of other comments to be annoyed about ahead of that one.

Well I hope he would know all of that, I imagine he was just being flippant and moody. I'm sure with a clearer mind he wouldn't have said something that could so easily be used as ammo against him lol

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Any media turning the screw yet? No doubt all still busy brown nosing him. 

You won't hear much from the main media, they have a weird thing around him where he cannot be criticised (I get with top players like Lampard and Gerrard who are now managers but not Rodgers).

Lesser websites like Football365 are more balanced and, at times, quite critical.

5 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

Never gonna get relegated talk about an exaggeration!!

I only think that happens if we keep Rodgers til the end of the season regardless. Every chance in the world that if we keep him we get 0 points over the next five games with a couple of thrashing for good measure. That's gonna leave us in the thick of a relegation battle with a confidence free, demotivated and leaderless team. 

If we get rid of him and appoint almost any competent manager the inevitable new manager bounce combined with the inherent squad quality is enough to fire us into the sunny uplands of at least midtable mediocrity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dusty said:

These problems would not be fixed immediately by just hiring a new manager. These players are out of form and low on confidence. As soon as we concede a crap goal into the new managers reign, the players heads would drop again.

...the new manager would probably tell them he is going to find a replacement if they are not capable of carrying out basic instructions!!!

You can not have a system where your players cannot cope with situations they experience every game. It should be eradicated in the first instance. For it to happen again means that, that player, is either not learning or he is adjusting to something around him, which he has erroneously taken on board.

If you are not strong enough to insist in certain things being implemented by the players, you are never going to eradicate the problem as there is no reason to, so far as the player is concerned. 

• Like 1