Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the new manager would probably tell them he is going to find a replacement if they are not capable of carrying out basic instructions!!!

You can not have a system where your players cannot cope with situations they experience every game. It should be eradicated in the first instance. For it to happen again means that, that player, is either not learning or he is adjusting to something around him, which he has erroneously taken on board.

If you are not strong enough to insist in certain things being implemented by the players, you are never going to eradicate the problem as there is no reason to, so far as the player is concerned. 

Indeed. I'm not yet in the 'Rodgers out' camp but look at the difference Conte has already made at Spurs in the league who we face next Thursday, compared to wrong man for the job Nuno! A managerial change here may well be better than a rest as things have evidently gone stale (regardless of there being no Fofana or JJ in the reckoning still) but I believe it's resting on what happens in the games between now and the New Year.....especially with facing Liverpool twice and Man City. Since Villa on Sunday then getting eliminated from what looked to be a relatively easy Europa League group has hardly helped Rodgers' cause though..... 

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Apparently so

I think I said 65+ points and then cups were very much dependent on draws, though I did also expect us to qualify out of our Europa league with Napoli.

What were your expectations?

In which case last season was a good one? Yet you claimed Rodgers lost it after losing to Liverpool and man City in 2019 🤣

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

In which case last season was a good one? Yet you claimed Rodgers lost it after losing to Liverpool and man City in 2019 🤣

Last season met expectations aye, we started the season off well points wise and then kind of bailed on it didn't we. I don't think we reached the same performance levels as we had done in the previous season, but we still picked up a lot of good results in the first half of the season.

On the "broke Rodgers" thing. What I said was, we have rarely since played with the same style and intensity as we did in the first half of that season. I believe those results saw Rodgers start to take a more cautious approach and that ultimately had led to the point we're at now.

I loved the Rodgers that wanted to go for the throat and relentless press and attack the opposition, that was a man I was on board with. Since that Liverpool result I maintain he sees the game differently and would much rather try and cling onto a result than go and try and score more. We saw plenty of back 6's in the 20/21 season as we went ultra defensive in the last 20-15 minutes.

I don't particularly think he's a better manager for becoming more cautious which is why I opted for the word broke :D

• Like 2

Guest Danny Clender

When the “entitled” fans start to sound liberal, you know we’re in for it. 
What a wonderful resource for anthropology FT really is.

Edited by Danny Clender

Can't believe it's taken this long for Brendan to protest that defensive frailties are responsible for our recent downfalls. Some might say that his lack of attention to defending has been his achilles heel at every club he's been at when push comes to shove. I can only remember once when he set us up in a positively negative system, at Man City some time ago, Other than that, he prefers to slug it out by playing so-called "expansive" football. Well he's been well and truly rumbled this season and that has become glaringly obvious following the Villa and Napoli games. Teams let us over extend ourselves and wait for the inevitable mistakes. We were in the box seat going into the Napoli game. It was crying out for us to keep it tight and create chances on the break. What did we do? Try to take the game to Napoli in the Maradona. No wonder we tripped over our bloody arses. 

1 minute ago, l444ry said:

Can't believe it's taken this long for Brendan to protest that defensive frailties are responsible for our recent downfalls. Some might say that his lack of attention to defending has been his achilles heel at every club he's been at when push comes to shove. I can only remember once when he set us up in a positively negative system, at Man City some time ago, Other than that, he prefers to slug it out by playing so-called "expansive" football. Well he's been well and truly rumbled this season and that has become glaringly obvious following the Villa and Napoli games. Teams let us over extend ourselves and wait for the inevitable mistakes. We were in the box seat going into the Napoli game. It was crying out for us to keep it tight and create chances on the break. What did we do? Try to take the game to Napoli in the Maradona. No wonder we tripped over our bloody arses. 

Brendan is definitely a cavalier and I suppose it gives entertainment but the roundheads won - they usually do.

Our coaches are fairly poor to be honest. We’ve lost our spark totally. Brendan has had ample time to sort out the squad. We are beyond poor at the moment. Yes the players are at fault too, but the manager should be galvanising them, inspiring them and driving them forward. 

its doing my head in a little with all the pundits banging on about injuries, we've been saying it for 2 years, that's not bad luck that's something you are doing wrong, I'm not talking about JJ, Fofana or Riccy doing his knee but the constant soft tissue injuries, we never used to get them to this extent, they come from being over worked

Just now, Jimmy said:

its doing my head in a little with all the pundits banging on about injuries, we've been saying it for 2 years, that's not bad luck that's something you are doing wrong, I'm not talking about JJ, Fofana or Riccy doing his knee but the constant soft tissue injuries, we never used to get them to this extent, they come from being over worked

As has been pointed out regularly, it would be such as issue if the replacements/ back ups had been any good this season too. I think we can see now how valuable it wss dragging 10 or so solid games out of Fuchs early last season.

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I could see it being an overhang from the pandemic compressed seasons, but that should  be self levelling across the league

His overall reputation as an elite coach is based on the Liverpool season of 2013-14. His other two seasons saw them finish 7th and 6th with 61 and 62 points, and two finishes of 5th with us managing 62 and 66 points.

He's a very good Premier League manager, a 5th-7th placed one generally, but his record in Europe is poor. His teams play some superb football, blow the opposition away but are always liable to chuck in several shockers each season.

He is much better than he's shown this season, that's for sure, and it is very frustrating.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

....I saw an article (probably at the beginning of last season) regarding the backroom staff,  and the way they assess individual players!!!

There was a clip of one of the players on a box about 2 feet high, which they jumped off (with their toes pointing in a 10 to 2 position) and landing with straight legs. I cannot see how this practise can benefit the players as the "shock absorbers" in the knees, would constantly be under pressure, unless the knees were bent on landing.

I do not know if this is a standard method of judging the players, and what they expect to find out by this process, but every time I see an injury I do wonder if it is the cause of our constant injuries.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

I think the "don't know what this competition is" line has been taken slightly out of context. He probably meant more about the teams we could face and how it works rather than believing it's not worthwhile (he may think that at some point but not when the question was asked).

Plenty of other comments to be annoyed about ahead of that one.

The overachieving thing has left a scar it seems

I have had some time to think about this since yesterday's match which made me quite angry and have decided that I don't think he should go yet. I think Rodgers is a capable manager and can turn this around ( although does need to very soon). I think one of the big problems Rodgers has is a lack of experience in his back room staff with people like kolo touré, who as a defensive coach clearly does not seem to be up to it and Chris Davies who I forgot was our assistant manager until yesterday as he has so little presence. There only real previous experience was a Celtic. I think he needs to bring in a more experienced coach's and assistant (someone like Shakespeare) who help him when he runs out of ideas and can challenge him when they think he is getting it wrong as I wonder if the lack of experience in the backroom staff mean this isn't happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I could see it being an overhang from the pandemic compressed seasons, but that should  be self levelling across the league

Self-Leveling. Wonder how that works with the pressing/attacking style of football we play as that has to be more physically demanding than sitting deep or playing counter attack. Besides Leeds and maybe Brighton all the rest have established squads with more depth. West Ham perhaps but its still early in the season to be using them as an example(at least for me) and they didn't have European football last season.

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

Self-Leveling. Wonder how that works with the pressing/attacking style of football we play as that has to be more physically demanding than sitting deep or playing counter attack. Besides Leeds and maybe Brighton all the rest have established squads with more depth. West Ham perhaps but its still early in the season to be using them as an example(at least for me) and they didn't have European football last season.

Yes, fair point, all requirements being equal, then perhaps, but clearly differing styles have differing requirements.

7 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Don't think Brendan likes characters in his backroom staff, he wants to be the top man and surround myself with yes men who won't question his ways or tactics. He'll rather have inexperienced staff members or friends then bring in quality experienced members of staff. Really p***ed when Brendan wasn't keen on our ex physio Dave Rennie who had been at Leicester for two decades and had him sacked, all because Rennie was to friendly with the players and wanted injured players to fully recover before playing.

You know he got sacked for leaking team information here there and everywhere right? I get you hate Brendan but don't make up total nonsense at least.

Stop to tell bullshit

8 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Don't think Brendan likes characters in his backroom staff, he wants to be the top man and surround myself with yes men who won't question his ways or tactics. He'll rather have inexperienced staff members or friends then bring in quality experienced members of staff. Really p***ed when Brendan wasn't keen on our ex physio Dave Rennie who had been at Leicester for two decades and had him sacked, all because Rennie was to friendly with the players and wanted injured players to fully recover before playing.

Or despite what the tin foil hat conspiracy brigade want to believe, the club was investing 100's of millions in facilities and wanted to bring our medical dept structure in line with what the top clubs in Europe have with a Head of Sports Medicine (Sports Dr) running the show, which Rennie didn't want to work under. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

How do people come up with this crap? Proper tin foil hat stuff just to spin a narrative.

• Like 4