Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

10 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Don't think Brendan likes characters in his backroom staff, he wants to be the top man and surround myself with yes men who won't question his ways or tactics. He'll rather have inexperienced staff members or friends then bring in quality experienced members of staff. Really p***ed when Brendan wasn't keen on our ex physio Dave Rennie who had been at Leicester for two decades and had him sacked, all because Rennie was to friendly with the players and wanted injured players to fully recover before playing.

This is one of your best posts to date. Absolute nonsense again. 

16 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

When have we been consistently playing great football this calendar year?

The statement was “We haven't played great football in about 12 months”

Not about consistency, I hope you agree although we haven’t been consistent we have had the odd good game in the last 12 months we just haven’t been able to string them together. 

I've begun watching a biopic of the Cloughie era at Forest. Apart from the players hilarious reminiscences of the guy, his awareness of motivation and the 'basics' was the keystone of their success. Peter Taylor found the players and Clough integrated them into the ethic of playing for each other. 

That aside, his paramount imperative was that his team had a superb defence. It's irrefutable - the basis of all great teams is a great defence. Those defences invariably operated as a single entity. Recalling the Arsenal defence in the era of Adams, Bould, Winterburn and Dixon (Keown), it was like watching line dancing - they'd all step forward in-sync, leaving the opposition attack hopelessly offside.

The City defence of '15-'16 wasn't considered anything special. Only Fuchs was considered to be a high level defender. Yet, as a unit, for that season, they performed out of their skins. Of course they had N'Golo in front of them, but their élan, at that time, was superlative.

It's now rock bottom. A significant injury has left City without Fofana. Evans has moments in every match where he's grimacing in discomfort. Söyüncü needs a strong personality working with him and Amartey is a decent defender to call on when needed, but he's not at the level necessary to sustain top-half competition. 

This summer I hoped for two talented young central defenders. Instead we got a Saints cast-off (we got two Saints cast-offs - but the less said about Bertrand, the better). Did we need Soumare - a player in search of a position? Is Lookman any better than Ünder? Daka appears to be the sole player who can improve squad quality.

Some posters have questioned what Kolo Touré is doing. As a member of the unbeaten Arsenal side of 2003-2004 he should know his stuff inside-out. But, is Rodgers pulling rank on him?

Some posters were also lambasting Castagne. Couldn't see why though. He always puts in a shift - watching Bertrand on the other side, late in the game, having the absolute gall to be cajoling us to move forward, when he'd been largely absent for most of the game was particularly offensive. N'Didi was getting his share of negative criticism too.

Bertrand apart, it's not down to individuals playing badly in defence - it's a lack of inspiration and an ongoing neglect of something every competent manager since year zero has known - you build a team from the defence up and the defence works best as a unit.

If Rodgers doesn't act to fix this and quickly then Top and the board will have to act and quickly.

For me, it's interesting that that Arsenal defence was fixed as a four - no change in formation was necessary, because they knew each other's play and position. It's imperative now that someone brings stability to the back line or, for whatever reason, significant players will be leaving asap.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, erlee said:

Let's go back in time..to a place call Anfield

(BR transacted 300M quids of players? ))

The squad that Klopp inherited was poor. No wonder he's had to get rid of plenty and spend to get quality in.

I know I defended some of Rodgers' signings here (Justin, Castagne, Fofona etc) but this summer has been the issue. We spent £60m on nothing really and have not improved the team. The biggest issue is not having a good right winger.

3 hours ago, turlo said:

Or despite what the tin foil hat conspiracy brigade want to believe, the club was investing 100's of millions in facilities and wanted to bring our medical dept structure in line with what the top clubs in Europe have with a Head of Sports Medicine (Sports Dr) running the show, which Rennie didn't want to work under. 

Which is where to be seen? We keep getting reoccurring injuries so there's got to be a problem.

We were so much better, in terms of playing being fit, under Ranieri and Pearson. Is it a coincidence something has changed? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The squad that Klopp inherited was poor. No wonder he's had to get rid of plenty and spend to get quality in.

I know I defended some of Rodgers' signings here (Justin, Castagne, Fofona etc) but this summer has been the issue. We spent £60m on nothing really and have not improved the team. The biggest issue is not having a good right winger.

The biggest problem is trying to play 'Man City/Barca' style football at the back-end  i,e play your way out beautifully/stylishly - but then you get someone like Soyunchu making the 'occasional' mistake for example. Then there is all that 'useless possession' sideways and back. Looks nice but hardly gain.

If Jamie Vardy is your best scorer - you need to be direct and get the ball to him. Nuff said.

Jamie Vardy is still the top scorer after 6 years since we won it. wow.  ... 

Edited by erlee
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Which is where to be seen? We keep getting reoccurring injuries so there's got to be a problem.

We were so much better, in terms of playing being fit, under Ranieri and Pearson. Is it a coincidence something has changed? 

Wasn't saying it was working and there could be many factors contributing to this. Could be down to coaching methods, intensity of training, quality of sports science /condition staff, lack of experience condition players to cope with European football etc etc.(injuries were much worse when we played in the UCL 2016/17). The whole area needs looking at.

The club management wouldn't re-organise the whole medical set up, with significant investment just because the manager thought the former Head Physio was too friendly with the players. 

1 hour ago, erlee said:

Let's go back in time..to a place call Anfield

(BR transacted 300M quids of players? ))

...a lot of what Souness is saying is very much what we are at present experiencing on this Forum!!!

We are questioning the Coaches, should we see anyone coming in then you will know we are at the end game.

I personally belive he needs someone to come in to help and advise him, but that in turn undermines Rodgers position. 

It is a big game coming up, and perhaps the one thing he could do is select the players he feels are willing to fight for the team and bring in some fringe players to supplement the team.

This is perhaps the one team he can afford to do this  against.

If he is staying here, he needs to stamp his authority on this club, it won't work otherwise. 

Trouble is Rogers is trying to play like Liverpool and Man City with his tactics but we just don't have players and Quality to play like that but he won't change his style to suit our players.So I am afraid we will either have a mast clear out and buy Quality in or change the style of play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AshbyBlue said:

Trouble is Rogers is trying to play like Liverpool and Man City with his tactics but we just don't have players and Quality to play like that but he won't change his style to suit our players.So I am afraid we will either have a mast clear out and buy Quality in or change the style of play.

Sorry, but this has just sailed right over my head.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AshbyBlue said:

i reckon  he bought players that doesn't suit his style of play & now he has played/painted himself into a corner

Was he given Vestergaard or did he had a say??

I never been a huge fan of him.

I was always vocal about his coaching style which I believed he was restricting our true potential.

But to all fairness, he should have the opportunity to finish this season.

We are better than other PL teams.

We have better ethics and principles then others

Because we are LCFC.

Edited by kiwiturk
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AshbyBlue said:

Which is it? Because they're like chalk and cheese.

One's exciting the others far from exciting.

For what it's worth I think we'd be quite suited to playing like Liverpool do, but you find your own way, you get the best out of what you have at your disposal, nobody should simply copy anyone else, that's the unfortunate thing for some bizarre reason a majority want to play like Man City, whilst Man City are effective at what they do even they are boring at it, the majority of teams who try and do it and stink at it, well, it's even more boring and frustrating. 

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Which is it? Because they're like chalk and cheese.

One's exciting the others far from exciting.

For what it worth I think we'd be quite suited to playing like Liverpool do.

Agree but our players don't work hard enough.Take Barnes for example he's never going to track back to help out so midfielder should cover him but they don't.You don't see Salah tracking back they cover for him.

7 minutes ago, AshbyBlue said:

Agree but our players don't work hard enough.Take Barnes for example he's never going to track back to help out so midfielder should cover him but they don't.You don't see Salah tracking back they cover for him.

They used too, then we went in this passive direction, trying to be like Man City.

Edited by Matt

A note for optimism - the fact that Rodgers does give our youth talent opportunities in the team has meant younger players from other clubs are more likely to sign for us as they think there is a clearer pathway to the first team.

A case in point is Popov, who I just saw has scored a hat-trick for the under-18s. 

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

This season we are just about bottom of all the defensive stats.

The Last 2 seasons we spent 567 days in the top 4 and statically had 1 of the best defensive records.

I doubt very little has changed between the coaching and management style but everything being pinned exactly on that??
This is a player issue, we haven’t suddenly started the zonal marking we spent the entire 567 days in the top 4 zonal marking.

Fofana is a massive loss, Cags has turned into Sol Bamba, Evans is struggling, Ricardo is struggling, Timmy’s levels have dropped and Thomas is still learning.

You then have 3 of our most solid and consistent performers in Youri, Kasper and Ndidi not hitting the notes of the past 2 seasons either.

Put it all together That’s 8 of your defensive unit all pulling 3/4s each week when they are usually 7/8s 

They are shot to pieces in confidence brought on by their own silly mistakes and nerves nothing to do with a new coaching system he’s suddenly brought in, why would he change what was working?

The whole clubs come out and said they are working really hard on defending set pieces in the 2/3 days they have between games but until we get that clean sheet the niggle in each of their minds will be there, you see it as soon as the opposition score, we need 1 shut out just for the confidence boost and from there we can grow.

Getting rid of Rodgers now is just baffling, do we honestly believe we’d get 1 of those “big” names that are currently in jobs more likely end up with 1 of the merry-go-round churn managers.
It saddens me when people say they would rather Big Sam, Roy Keane, MoN or even Nigel, I don’t know about the ‘Where do you see us in 5yrs’ thread but I honestly think getting rid of Rodgers now will put us back 5yrs as any new manager will want to put his own team together regardless of the quality we have & players that brought into Rodgers project will go Fofana, Youri, Ndidi possibly Daka for sure, they might all go anyway but it will be over time and at least that funding is being laid back into an existing philosophy not something that’s starting from scratch.

We have all seen when it clicks it clicks but like everything in life people only linger on the negatives, the over achieving comment got up peoples noses and pointed to stats and the players we have and the forecast these players were predicted to go on to & again..we still have those players and they are not being asked to do anything more than when people were championing them. Collectively they need to address it, stop the hospital passes, get the aggression from within to attack the ball, chase the opposition back, win the 2nd ball you know the basics regardless of system or formation.

I know I’m flogging a dead horse as reading this thread most have made their minds up and want a managerial change stating he should be getting a tune out of the quality we have yet hand on hearts how long after do you believe after changing a manager we would see the players we saw during the last 2 seasons or would it be ok to allow a 6mth-1yr -2yr grace period to build confidence and to have a window to get his own players?

This is a confidence issue which a good result and hopefully clean sheet tomorrow can build, followed by I don’t know 2 more wins, the return of JJ (another confidence boost with the team) we start to see shoots of recovery then into next year Fofana back I’m not saying all hinges on those 2 but it all builds confidence within the team. So I’d much prefer us to put the graft in now to push through the problem than to spend building up a team over the next 2 seasons

Thanks for that. Agree with everything with the exception of the club changing the style of football for a new manager. Its never going to happen so supporters should get used to players passing the ball around the pitch to create space. Because the next manager is going to play possession football as well. You didn't just go through 5/6 yrs of change in order to revert back to a system that brought you the miracle of 2 titles in 2 years without European football. The club isn't stupid. Its in the process of building something consistent and financially sustainable that can last. 

Edited by SO1

It's the sheer scale of the decline that has most of us concerned. We're bloody lucky we have enough firepower to score goals for fun at times, because our defence is now objectively the worst in the league. That's not an exaggeration - plenty of people have pointed to objective facts that we are performing at or near the bottom in every possible metric.

We're less daft as fans than some people care to admit. We know it's as much a systematic problem as a confidence issue. And that falls on the coaching staff to address, but we keep blindly hoping and waiting for it to 'click'.

We've been waiting for four months. Four. Months. It's unacceptable.

Yes, a clean sheet for us could be a turning point. But we've had false dawns on three separate occasions this season and been left disappointed after hoping against hope that we'd turned a corner. And a lot of us have just completely given up on it even happening. If this season was a player, it would be Demarai Gray. 

Make no mistake - Vardy, Daka (and I guess Albrighton for Norwich) are the only reason Rodgers hasn't got us sat firmly in the relegation zone right now.

• Like 1