Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

This season we are just about bottom of all the defensive stats.

The Last 2 seasons we spent 567 days in the top 4 and statically had 1 of the best defensive records.

I doubt very little has changed between the coaching and management style but everything being pinned exactly on that??
This is a player issue, we haven’t suddenly started the zonal marking we spent the entire 567 days in the top 4 zonal marking.

Fofana is a massive loss, Cags has turned into Sol Bamba, Evans is struggling, Ricardo is struggling, Timmy’s levels have dropped and Thomas is still learning.

You then have 3 of our most solid and consistent performers in Youri, Kasper and Ndidi not hitting the notes of the past 2 seasons either.

Put it all together That’s 8 of your defensive unit all pulling 3/4s each week when they are usually 7/8s 

They are shot to pieces in confidence brought on by their own silly mistakes and nerves nothing to do with a new coaching system he’s suddenly brought in, why would he change what was working?

The whole clubs come out and said they are working really hard on defending set pieces in the 2/3 days they have between games but until we get that clean sheet the niggle in each of their minds will be there, you see it as soon as the opposition score, we need 1 shut out just for the confidence boost and from there we can grow.

Getting rid of Rodgers now is just baffling, do we honestly believe we’d get 1 of those “big” names that are currently in jobs more likely end up with 1 of the merry-go-round churn managers.
It saddens me when people say they would rather Big Sam, Roy Keane, MoN or even Nigel, I don’t know about the ‘Where do you see us in 5yrs’ thread but I honestly think getting rid of Rodgers now will put us back 5yrs as any new manager will want to put his own team together regardless of the quality we have & players that brought into Rodgers project will go Fofana, Youri, Ndidi possibly Daka for sure, they might all go anyway but it will be over time and at least that funding is being laid back into an existing philosophy not something that’s starting from scratch.

We have all seen when it clicks it clicks but like everything in life people only linger on the negatives, the over achieving comment got up peoples noses and pointed to stats and the players we have and the forecast these players were predicted to go on to & again..we still have those players and they are not being asked to do anything more than when people were championing them. Collectively they need to address it, stop the hospital passes, get the aggression from within to attack the ball, chase the opposition back, win the 2nd ball you know the basics regardless of system or formation.

I know I’m flogging a dead horse as reading this thread most have made their minds up and want a managerial change stating he should be getting a tune out of the quality we have yet hand on hearts how long after do you believe after changing a manager we would see the players we saw during the last 2 seasons or would it be ok to allow a 6mth-1yr -2yr grace period to build confidence and to have a window to get his own players?

This is a confidence issue which a good result and hopefully clean sheet tomorrow can build, followed by I don’t know 2 more wins, the return of JJ (another confidence boost with the team) we start to see shoots of recovery then into next year Fofana back I’m not saying all hinges on those 2 but it all builds confidence within the team. So I’d much prefer us to put the graft in now to push through the problem than to spend building up a team over the next 2 seasons

The longer we persevere with Rodgers the more likely this will happen 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

It's the sheer scale of the decline that has most of us concerned. We're bloody lucky we have enough firepower to score goals for fun at times, because our defence is now objectively the worst in the league. That's not an exaggeration - plenty of people have pointed to objective facts that we are performing at or near the bottom in every possible metric.

We're less daft as fans than some people care to admit. We know it's as much a systematic problem as a confidence issue. And that falls on the coaching staff to address, but we keep blindly hoping and waiting for it to 'click'.

We've been waiting for four months. Four. Months. It's unacceptable.

Yes, a clean sheet for us could be a turning point. But we've had false dawns on three separate occasions this season and been left disappointed after hoping against hope that we'd turned a corner. And a lot of us have just completely given up on it even happening. If this season was a player, it would be Demarai Gray. 

Make no mistake - Vardy, Daka (and I guess Albrighton for Norwich) are the only reason Rodgers hasn't got us sat firmly in the relegation zone right now.

I get Rodgers is at the head and ultimately it’s on him but it’s not Rodgers smashing balls to a team mate in no mans land with 2 opponents around him, it’s not Rodgers telling 4 players to go to 1 opponent in the 6yd box leaving 2 opponents free behind them, it’s not Rodgers letting opponents just run off with the ball whilst our player jogs behind them..could go on and on with all the mistakes individual players are making.

I also get confused with what fans believe he tells Kasper to do because he gets slated for wanting to play out from the back but then there are probably more complaints about Kasper’s continuance of pumping the ball out into touch so again is that Rodgers?

We all had high hopes for this season watching the preseason games and a lot of us probably thought top 4 this season for sure after watching the Villarreal game as we were brilliant.

So what is the fundamental change between preseason and now, do we think Rodgers spent the whole of preseason doing it 1 way to then rip that up and start with something new?

Players levels have dipped, injuries again, concentration levels, commitment and the glue: confidence have all dropped, yes it’s his job to pick that up but as a professional it’s on each and every individual to put in 100% and it’s not happening and we don’t have the squad to continually drop players that aren’t performing.

You mention the only reason we are not sat bottom is Vardy etc digging us out and again that’s the fans line of we won despite the manager, if Rodgers getting slated for the defence should he not get credit for the attacking side that is doing well?

• Like 2

BKL if you going to blame the players for the defensive problems, then you also cannot praise the manager when we perform well in games.

Ultimately I think defensive coherence is 80% coaching and 20% the player.  Higher quality players, will have the ability to play it out rather just clearing in whatever way possible, more aggressive players will close down better, but positional organisation is down to the coaching.  Its also a coach's job to motivate and improve morale in the players.

Now for us, we already know these players are capable, its not like we have just been promoted with lower league players and we not sure if they can cope with the pace of the EPL, so we have experienced defenders, experienced keeper and are failing as a unit defensively. 

So what has changed?

Before we played keep ball much more, this took the pressure off, although it also killed us off as an attacking threat due to us passing it between defenders, in recent games this has been changed, and ultimately its showing that we not organised enough to tolerate the more end to end football, of course the problem with defending corners wont be down to this, I think the reason this hasnt been an issue for the full tenure of Rodgers is simply the weakness wasnt discovered, but now it is, team after team is taking advantage of it.  Of course confidence is a factor and I do agree after some clean sheets things should improve, but confidence is also gained when you give the players hope, they look to their leader who gives them confidence that he knows how to plug the gaps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Which is it? Because they're like chalk and cheese.

One's exciting the others far from exciting.

For what it's worth I think we'd be quite suited to playing like Liverpool do, but you find your own way, you get the best out of what you have at your disposal, nobody should simply copy anyone else, that's the unfortunate thing for some bizarre reason a majority want to play like Man City, whilst Man City are effective at what they do even they are boring at it, the majority of teams who try and do it and stink at it, well, it's even more boring and frustrating. 

I read it exactly the same and also agree with us being more suited a Liverpool approach. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

BKL if you going to blame the players for the defensive problems, then you also cannot praise the manager when we perform well in games.

Ultimately I think defensive coherence is 80% coaching and 20% the player.  Higher quality players, will have the ability to play it out rather just clearing in whatever way possible, more aggressive players will close down better, but positional organisation is down to the coaching.  Its also a coach's job to motivate and improve morale in the players.

Now for us, we already know these players are capable, its not like we have just been promoted with lower league players and we not sure if they can cope with the pace of the EPL, so we have experienced defenders, experienced keeper and are failing as a unit defensively. 

So what has changed?

Before we played keep ball much more, this took the pressure off, although it also killed us off as an attacking threat due to us passing it between defenders, in recent games this has been changed, and ultimately its showing that we not organised enough to tolerate the more end to end football, of course the problem with defending corners wont be down to this, I think the reason this hasnt been an issue for the full tenure of Rodgers is simply the weakness wasnt discovered, but now it is, team after team is taking advantage of it.  Of course confidence is a factor and I do agree after some clean sheets things should improve, but confidence is also gained when you give the players hope, they look to their leader who gives them confidence that he knows how to plug the gaps.

Para1 - I brought this up as the reverse is being mooted, Rodgers fault for defence and players digging him out in attack so why can’t it be players letting him down in defence and praise for him in attack??

Para2 - agree, in a set piece situation but after that it’s up to players to be in the correct positions and to adapt for what’s being played in front of them as u can’t replicate every possible scenario an attacking player will do or bounce of a ball in a training environment.

para4 - no really comment other than if we have stopped the keep ball isn’t that what people wanted and to go into this basketball type situation which is just a lottery.

Keeping the ball, working hard on and off it, spreading an opposition around the pitch and moving the ball quicker to penetrate is what he wants but isn’t happening, so he has a problem if they can’t do that because they can’t do the basketball play either.

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

The Last 2 seasons we spent 567 days in the top 4 and statically had 1 of the best defensive records.

I doubt very little has changed between the coaching and management style but everything being pinned exactly on that??
This is a player issue, we haven’t suddenly started the zonal marking we spent the entire 567 days in the top 4 zonal marking.

Fofana is a massive loss, Cags has turned into Sol Bamba, Evans is struggling, Ricardo is struggling, Timmy’s levels have dropped and Thomas is still learning.

You then have 3 of our most solid and consistent performers in Youri, Kasper and Ndidi not hitting the notes of the past 2 seasons either.

Put it all together That’s 8 of your defensive unit all pulling 3/4s each week when they are usually 7/8s 

They are shot to pieces in confidence brought on by their own silly mistakes and nerves nothing to do with a new coaching system he’s suddenly brought in, why would he change what was working?

The whole clubs come out and said they are working really hard on defending set pieces in the 2/3 days they have between games but until we get that clean sheet the niggle in each of their minds will be there, you see it as soon as the opposition score, we need 1 shut out just for the confidence boost and from there we can grow.

Getting rid of Rodgers now is just baffling, do we honestly believe we’d get 1 of those “big” names that are currently in jobs more likely end up with 1 of the merry-go-round churn managers.
It saddens me when people say they would rather Big Sam, Roy Keane, MoN or even Nigel, I don’t know about the ‘Where do you see us in 5yrs’ thread but I honestly think getting rid of Rodgers now will put us back 5yrs as any new manager will want to put his own team together regardless of the quality we have & players that brought into Rodgers project will go Fofana, Youri, Ndidi possibly Daka for sure, they might all go anyway but it will be over time and at least that funding is being laid back into an existing philosophy not something that’s starting from scratch.

We have all seen when it clicks it clicks but like everything in life people only linger on the negatives, the over achieving comment got up peoples noses and pointed to stats and the players we have and the forecast these players were predicted to go on to & again..we still have those players and they are not being asked to do anything more than when people were championing them. Collectively they need to address it, stop the hospital passes, get the aggression from within to attack the ball, chase the opposition back, win the 2nd ball you know the basics regardless of system or formation.

I know I’m flogging a dead horse as reading this thread most have made their minds up and want a managerial change stating he should be getting a tune out of the quality we have yet hand on hearts how long after do you believe after changing a manager we would see the players we saw during the last 2 seasons or would it be ok to allow a 6mth-1yr -2yr grace period to build confidence and to have a window to get his own players?

This is a confidence issue which a good result and hopefully clean sheet tomorrow can build, followed by I don’t know 2 more wins, the return of JJ (another confidence boost with the team) we start to see shoots of recovery then into next year Fofana back I’m not saying all hinges on those 2 but it all builds confidence within the team. So I’d much prefer us to put the graft in now to push through the problem than to spend building up a team over the next 2 seasons

OK Brendan. Again. 

4 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Statisticaly one of the best defenses in the league last year? We conceeded 50 goals. That's bang on mid table (9 teams conceded more) and we were in the top 3 for goals conceded from set plays...

We started very well at the back ladt year but the absolute fact is we have been horrendous defensively for an entire calender year and although some of the blame does and should go to individual errors, much of it HAS to go to the manager, specifically the stats regarding set plays because he has literally not done one thing to address it.

Edited by Scotch
  • Like 1

Some of you seem to be forgetting that this is a team game - and therefore loss of form isn't solely down to the individuals' performance. It's about confidence in those players around you giving you confidence in your own play. It all links up. Rodgers has to find a way of instilling confidence back into the squad. I believed he had his blind spots - Perez being one, but this summer's incoming players have been poor to middling - bar Daka.

I think he's up to his neck and failing to keep his head above the mire. He has talented players in midfield and attack, but he's not supporting them by solving the problems at the back. he made a mistake with Bennett and now he's made a mistake with Vestergaard - and if they weren't his choice then what is his job? He was a choice find to replace Puel but I think he's been uncommitted all along - despite what he has stated. In my earlier post about Clough, he may have acted like General Melchett but his teams were paramount. I don't think Rodgers has that outlook - I think it's about Brendan Rodgers above all else.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I read it exactly the same and also agree with us being more suited a Liverpool approach. 

Think Rodgers and the club are trying to work out some kind of hybrid of Liverpools system but it takes time and our players with the exception of Ndidi, Soumare and KDH seem to lack the physicality. Its like our midfield players are really good at one thing..... or the other. That's the thing that impresses me the most about Liverpools midfield is how well rounded they are both attacking and defensively. And they didn't cost a fortune! I'd say that's the templete we are shooting for given the purchase of Soumare.

I love James Madisson. When he 's healthy he's just an incredibly talented player. But the game has changed and that physicality that Liverpool and others have is starting to be a real detriment to him. The incessant fouling and abuse he takes has to take its toll on him and it makes me question how much longer players with his body type and size will be in the game in that position.. All positions getting bigger and stronger. Of course when he's on all of this is the last thing on my mind.

I think Rodgers understands the league as his teams have become more and more physical from Celtic on. Transforming a club and maintaining a push to stay in the top six are always going to be a tough ask. Still need that Left footed right winger. This is a big Summer for the club.

20 minutes ago, Scotch said:

Statisticaly one of the best defenses in the league last year? We conceeded 50 goals. That's bang on mid table (9 teams conceded more) and we were in the top 3 for goals conceded from set plays...

We started very well at the back ladt year but the absolute fact is we have been horrendous defensively for an entire calender year and although some of the blame does and should go to individual errors, much of it HAS to go to the manager, specifically the stats regarding set plays because he has literally not done one thing to address it.

Fully agree set pieces are down to him and his coaching staff & they should be trying to tweak or change the approach for sure but saying that  down to players to carry it out.

Individual errors anywhere on the pitch is all on the player

5 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Sorry, but what’s baffling is that you quote 8 defensive players are playing well below there level, but that has nothing to do with coaching.

C’mon Brendan, be realistic. 

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Fully agree set pieces are down to him and his coaching staff & they should be trying to tweak or change the approach for sure but saying that  down to players to carry it out.

Individual errors anywhere on the pitch is all on the player

Individual errors seem to happen to much less often to those sides that are well-coached and have a good understanding of where to be and what to do on the pitch. 

I can’t shake the thought that we’ve overcomplicated our approach to games and how we are trying to solve our problems— the lineup against Napoli reeked of this. 

Edited by The_77
Typo

1 minute ago, The_77 said:

Individual errors seem to happen to much less often to those sides that are well-coached and have a good understanding of where to be and what to do on the pitch. 

I can’t shake the thought that we’ve overcomplicated our approach to games and how we are trying to solve our problems— the lineup against Napoli wreaked of this. 

So he’s gone from a top 4 (5) coach after last 2 seasons to rock bottom in the space of 18 games, don’t know how may times it needs saying but lack of confidence breeds hesitation and errors

What was wrong with the lineup v Napoli and what would you have started with?

The problem I have with Rodgers is firstly him popping at the fans after he made a nonsense of the team 

selection against Chelsea

Secondly having been given a fantastic contract by the club is failure to rule himself out of the Yanited job.

The resulting desperate performances against the Villa and Napoli adding to the issue

i wish him well but think a defeat tomorrow could give him a very large pay day

24 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Reading that I don't think he has a clue how to turn this around and I'm not sure he's seeing the situation for what it is. 

He talks about pressing better as a team but if you take Thursday night as an example we weren't even doing the defensive basics right. No amount of pressing from higher up the pitch is suddenly going to improve defenders holding the line, increase the discipline in their positional play, or limit the number of goals conceded from set pieces. Yes, statistically I'm sure more players pressing will lead to less times the defense is exposed as you reduce the opportunity but it doesn't solve the fundamental issues.

Herein lies the problem with BR for me, as mentioned above I'm sure his ideas do address a weakness, however he's missing the glaringly obvious problems and coming up with overly complicated solutions, and if that's how it comes across to us as fans then you have to wonder what he communicates to the players week in week out and how they interpret that on the pitch. 

He has no ideas left... and his coaches are yes men

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

So he’s gone from a top 4 (5) coach after last 2 seasons to rock bottom in the space of 18 games, don’t know how may times it needs saying but lack of confidence breeds hesitation and errors

What was wrong with the lineup v Napoli and what would you have started with?

Why would you start Bertrand in the biggest game of the season so far? 

How do you know it's lack of confidence? Maybe the players aren't buying in to him and his tactics anymore? I'm not saying it is or isn't any of these things but it's too simplistic to say with certainty it's a confidence issue

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Reading that I don't think he has a clue how to turn this around and I'm not sure he's seeing the situation for what it is. 

He talks about pressing better as a team but if you take Thursday night as an example we weren't even doing the defensive basics right. No amount of pressing from higher up the pitch is suddenly going to improve defenders holding the line, increase the discipline in their positional play, or limit the number of goals conceded from set pieces. Yes, statistically I'm sure more players pressing will lead to less times the defense is exposed as you reduce the opportunity but it doesn't solve the fundamental issues.

Herein lies the problem with BR for me (as mentioned above I'm sure his ideas do address a weakness), he's missing the glaringly obvious problems and coming up with overly complicated solutions. If that's how it comes across to us as fans then you have to wonder what he communicates to the players week in week out and how they interpret that on the pitch. 

I muted Ian Marshall on Twitter but you, sir, are talking a lot of sense with this post. :P

1 hour ago, Winsum said:

The problem I have with Rodgers is firstly him popping at the fans after he made a nonsense of the team 

selection against Chelsea

Secondly having been given a fantastic contract by the club is failure to rule himself out of the Yanited job.

The resulting desperate performances against the Villa and Napoli adding to the issue

i wish him well but think a defeat tomorrow could give him a very large pay day

Cheers Top! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Cheers Top! :D 

It al depends who wants  the job, but a classic example of how a team defence can be sorted in a few games, look at Norwich and Dean Smith. OK not winning much, but not leaking goals anymore. Whereas we have now played 16  games and it’s still not sorted

• Like 1