Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, SO1 said:

Think Rodgers and the club are trying to work out some kind of hybrid of Liverpools system but it takes time and our players with the exception of Ndidi, Soumare and KDH seem to lack the physicality. Its like our midfield players are really good at one thing..... or the other. That's the thing that impresses me the most about Liverpools midfield is how well rounded they are both attacking and defensively. And they didn't cost a fortune! I'd say that's the templete we are shooting for given the purchase of Soumare.

I love James Madisson. When he 's healthy he's just an incredibly talented player. But the game has changed and that physicality that Liverpool and others have is starting to be a real detriment to him. The incessant fouling and abuse he takes has to take its toll on him and it makes me question how much longer players with his body type and size will be in the game in that position.. All positions getting bigger and stronger. Of course when he's on all of this is the last thing on my mind.

I think Rodgers understands the league as his teams have become more and more physical from Celtic on. Transforming a club and maintaining a push to stay in the top six are always going to be a tough ask. Still need that Left footed right winger. This is a big Summer for the club.

I think the style is right and agree with a lot that you've said but, I don't think Rodgers is the man to implement it and I certainly wouldn't trust him in identifying any more players to fit that style.

I still think though, with what we've got even now, we have a very good group of players for a 433 but you can't afford to play it in a slow tippy tappy control freak style. If playing with confidence, we still have an ability, with the right team selections, to cause havoc and frighten most defences and a midfield 3, if played to their actual strengths and not trying to get them to do other things they're not best suited to, that could both protect and cover for the back 4 and create much for a front 3.

• Like 2

Watching some other games (or our opposition) recently has really highlighted to me how timid we are as a team. A lot of teams do not have the quality we do in our squad but they encourage their fans by being proactive and on the front foot whether that's in regard to attacking or defending. It makes a massive difference.

With and without the ball the tempo and aggression is non-existant for us and has been for the past couple of seasons, save for the odd game. I've always said we need everything to fall our way otherwise we go to pieces.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

BKL if you going to blame the players for the defensive problems, then you also cannot praise the manager when we perform well in games.

Ultimately I think defensive coherence is 80% coaching and 20% the player.  Higher quality players, will have the ability to play it out rather just clearing in whatever way possible, more aggressive players will close down better, but positional organisation is down to the coaching.  Its also a coach's job to motivate and improve morale in the players.

Now for us, we already know these players are capable, its not like we have just been promoted with lower league players and we not sure if they can cope with the pace of the EPL, so we have experienced defenders, experienced keeper and are failing as a unit defensively. 

So what has changed?

Before we played keep ball much more, this took the pressure off, although it also killed us off as an attacking threat due to us passing it between defenders, in recent games this has been changed, and ultimately its showing that we not organised enough to tolerate the more end to end football, of course the problem with defending corners wont be down to this, I think the reason this hasnt been an issue for the full tenure of Rodgers is simply the weakness wasnt discovered, but now it is, team after team is taking advantage of it.  Of course confidence is a factor and I do agree after some clean sheets things should improve, but confidence is also gained when you give the players hope, they look to their leader who gives them confidence that he knows how to plug the gaps.

...we have always been poor at defending corners and flighted balls coming into our box!!!

We have had stats on this previously showing that all round  conceding and scoring are pretty much even through out the league. We do tend to allow free headers previously, but this time clubs are actually hitting the target, we have been lucky  defensively for some time now.

There is a lack of energy and pride missing from this team.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

Watching some other games (or our opposition) recently has really highlighted to me how timid we are as a team. A lot of teams do not have the quality we do in our squad but they encourage their fans by being proactive and on the front foot whether that's in regard to attacking or defending. It makes a massive difference.

With and without the ball the tempo and aggression is non-existant for us and has been for the past couple of seasons, save for the odd game. I've always said we need everything to fall our way otherwise we go to pieces.

Rodgers will not allow players to risk posession to create a chance.

It's over for him now.  Question is how long before Top decides to move on.

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

I think that’s it really. Mcginn is a great example, that run against us where he just wouldn’t give up... we just don’t have that in this squad atm. That desire gets the fans excited and pumps your team mates up. Our guys lose a ball and already have their heads down, they don’t battle to get it back. 

it’s nothing to do with McGinns quality as a footballer, just simply he has that extra bit of desire 

• Like 4

>>>Secondly having been given a fantastic contract by the club is failure to rule himself out of the Yanited job.

well that is BR for you.

Celtic was always a stepping stone and he got found out in Liverpool.

Now we are finding out at LCFC "I am very proud to be here (for now) . .."

8 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I think that’s it really. Mcginn is a great example, that run against us where he just wouldn’t give up... we just don’t have that in this squad atm. That desire gets the fans excited and pumps your team mates up. Our guys lose a ball and already have their heads down, they don’t battle to get it back. 

it’s nothing to do with McGinns quality as a footballer, just simply he has that extra bit of desire 

I mentioned McGinn in an earlier thread as an example of the sort of midfielder we need.  In this modern game you can have all the silky skills in the world but be nullified by being hounded by opposition terriers who are much less skilful but have the energy, aggression and desire to positively affect the play.

We badly need a box-to-box midfielder who can drive the rest of the team.  I wonder whether KDH could develop into that sort of player but he's too raw yet to expect him to play with such authority.

• Like 1

The most interesting aspect to all this for me is listening to my 11 year old lad when he says it looks like none of them cared, now don’t get me wrong lately it is becoming quite stressful watching the game with a hormonal soon to be 12 year old however as a very very good and tactically aware grassroots player he makes a lot of very observant comments along with the overly emotional outbursts. 

As he says why continue with a defensive system at set pieces that is clearly not working? why continue to play a slow tippy tappy possession based style when it doesn’t suit most of our players? 

the most damning assessment be makes is that Brendan no longer wants to be here and is looking to be sacked and paid off, pretty damning but have to say I find it very difficult to offer any coherent points to defend any of the above and for me that is pretty damning. 

also interestingly Brendan saying no funds available in January, not new with our club but given where we are, just wonder if this is a sign the powers at be are losing faith with him and his team and a change could be imminent. 

This is possibly the biggest test of his career since the surmounting pressure he was under in that final stretch at Liverpool.

Today's game is realistically the best opportunity of a win but possibly just as importantly, a clean sheet before a run of very difficult games. People can stick up for him all they want but let's see what you are saying when the post Xmas cheer has worn off and all festive period you've watched us get hammered.

If we don't win today then he needs to walk

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 11:37, filbertway said:

Huge month for the future of Rodgers coming up.

Last 2 fixtures don't really tell us much, we've beat a League one team and a Championship team at home. The next month will be a proper test of where we're at, not particularly seen a lot to say we'll pick up too many points or beat Napoli.

I do expect us to beat Liverpool in the cup though, as Klopp will play a severely weakened team. 

My predictions for the following month. 10 pts from those 7 league fixtures would be a very decent return, looks like I'm going for 5 though haha.

Southampton (a) - Draw 

Villa (a) - Loss
Napoli (a) - Loss
Newcastle (h) - Win
Spurs (h) - Loss

Everton (a) - Draw

Liverpool (LC) (a) - Win
Man City (h) - Loss
Liverpool (a) - Loss

:D

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

The sound of silence🙉🙉

No point in gloating, today is a reprieve. Lets see how we do until the New Year. 

No matter whats happened today, Thursday was still unacceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

People are so quick to point out how "close" we are to getting caught up in a relegation battle so I'll just point out, tonight... 4 points off 6th.

And for that reason is why I've been defending him all week. Rodgers in.

Excellent post imo. Only have to dip into the 'If not Brendan then who else?' thread and see Frank Lampard's name again and again to see the boo-boys are not serious people. Rodgers in for me, too.

• Like 1

Rodgers of course has been overrated on here , he is a good manager and his record tells you that but I think the disappointment is finding out he is not the genius some thought he was. However better the devil you know I say. We could have a calamity if we change now.