Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

59 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

You’ve said everything I would have said so thank you. I’m not trying to change anyones opinion of him (providing they have a rationale argument), I’m just advocating for balance. Credit the good stuff, criticise the bad stuff but take stock of it as a whole. 

It's never black and white - all managers do some good and some bad.

My main worries about brendan are 1. that he wants to play possession football yet we don't have the quality of players to hold the ball and pass it about.; and 2. his tactics are too cautious.

behind this I suspect that he has run out of ideas - this is simply because he tries to get player to do things they cannot and so he has exhausted all his ideas to make thing work.  Top will sack him... but I have no ideas when. Let's say in 2 years time - if so that would be a waste of the next two years.

Edited by foxinsocks

25 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I was really surprised and happy to hear him saying he looked at the team and last few games as if he had come in as a new manager (after the team were booed off the pitch). The next game we played really well, proper attacking football, since then it's gone back to the shitty sideways and slow build up play. 

The Liverpool first half we played the quick attacking football which we love to see, then in the 2nd half Brendan made his changes which cost us the game. I've said to others it's like he wants sacking, since the Arse/Tott/ Man Utd jobs were up for grabs he doesn't seem to be up for it. 

None of the aspiring 'big' clubs are going to want a manager who cannot demonstrate he can interpret the development of a game and change personnel effectively. The major clubs do make poor managerial choices, but that's often based on misguided sentiment - Lampard and Solskjaer being two recent lapses by Chelsea and United. 

Rodgers has none of that pedigree. He could move to a 'middling' Premier team, but he's never going to get a better club than City has become under the Srivaddhanaprabhas.

He needs to take a long look at his major weakness - match management.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Very good piece about BR in the Telegraph by Jamie Carragher. Well reasoned argument that Rodgers is overachieving. So most FT posters shouldn't read it.

Not an awful argument in all honesty, depth of our squad along with our budget means we're unlikely to be able to keep up with the big 4 over a season.

But he removes criticism from BR by saying he's overachieved, listing minus Youri, no one would get into a top side.

He's done a generic piece on what he can see from the outside, rather than a Percy article, where you see both internal and external knowledge. So no reference of what's gone wrong this year, just a "we did too well last year" 

Edited by UniFox21

Managers eh. The next bloke who comes in loses three in a row and many will demand he gets the sack. I sometimes think that it is unforgivable to lose any match with some people. There is far too much under rating of the opposition. In the premier league every team is capable of beating you , they all have quality players. Rodgers has yet to go on a long losing run. If and when he does then we will need a change , but at the moment that is not the case.

43 minutes ago, gerblod said:

None of the aspiring 'big' clubs are going to want a manager who cannot demonstrate he can interpret the development of a game and change personnel effectively. The major clubs do make poor managerial choices, but that's often based on misguided sentiment - Lampard and Solskjaer being two recent lapses by Chelsea and United. 

Rodgers has none of that pedigree. He could move to a 'middling' Premier team, but he's never going to get a better club than City has become under the Srivaddhanaprabhas.

I was talking to someone the other day who knows a great deal more about the inner workings of professional football than I. He suggested that Rodgers is managing like he doesn’t want to be there. I can’t really go along with that. Surely by doing so he’d be damaging his credibility. That said, he doe’s make what a lot of us would deem to be strange decisions regarding subs, playing a game out and even team selection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Not an awful argument in all honesty, depth of our squad along with our budget means we're unlikely to be able to keep up with the big 4 over a season.

But he removes criticism from BR by saying he's overachieved, listing minus Youri, no one would get into a top side.

He's done a generic piece on what he can see from the outside, rather than a Percy article, where you see both internal and external knowledge. So no reference of what's gone wrong this year, just a "we did too well last year" 

Bloke should have been hounded out the game for assaulting a kid

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I get the argument over squad depth and budget. But it's simply not true that our first XI wouldn't get into so called top teams. Arsenal are in the top 4 at the moment and yet how many of their players would start for us if we had everyone fully fit and on form? Not many in my view. 

Ramsdale, Tierney, Saka, Smith Rowe, White or Gabriel, Lacazette - all of those would add something to our match day squad !

I do think a sense of realism is required but similarly no doubt in my mind that BR is not  in the Top Class managers as tactically he has a lot to learn and is two stubborn at times.

All these arguments are fruitless and pointless.

We are not some penniless minnows scrounging around for cash when it comes to transfers… skint clubs don’t build £100m training grounds and reveal ambitious stadium expansions like we have….

The way the club is run, is proper, we are self sufficient and have a budget to work by… but that is still a lot better than most teams in the league. 

I don’t think it is unfair at all to criticise Brendan for this season, ultimately he runs the show in terms of football, and he’s definitely made some mistakes this season… he can be afforded that if he manages to turn things around, but the issue is we have really yet to see him turn real poor form around, and he seems to come unstuck when things are not going well. He will prove this season how good of a manager he really is, because he’s under pressure more than ever before to lead us, and so far this season I have been underwhelmed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gerblod said:

I agree 100%. But he thinks he's bigger than us and wants that move. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Ramsdale, Tierney, Saka, Smith Rowe, White or Gabriel, Lacazette - all of those would add something to our match day squad !

I do think a sense of realism is required but similarly no doubt in my mind that BR is not  in the Top Class managers as tactically he has a lot to learn and is two stubborn at times.

I think the first 3 are very good players but the latter 4, if our squad was fully fit, would get nowhere near. 

20 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Basically Carragher is just repeating what Rodgers said a few weeks ago about over achieving and struggling with injuries/squad not being strong enough. 

... and also Robbie Savage trotts it out as if no one has ever mentioned it before. Its the pundits latest go to mantra about us :yawn: