Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not really to be honest. 

They're defensively well organised. 

If I had to watch his team play all season I'd fvcking kill myself.

I’d argue that he uses the tools the way they need to be used. 

both promotions from the football league they played attractive football.

In the games that he thinks he’s got a shot he actually has them attack pretty well, just an example but the wolves 4-0 win last year.

I wouldn’t call him a big Sam because he simply does what he has to to get a club with limited ability results. 

He got a bit of money and signed someone like cornet not someone like Barnes, so he obviously would like a transition.  

I just don’t think we will know what he’s like until he takes another job 

Guest nathan.
2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not really to be honest. 

They're defensively well organised. 

If I had to watch his team play all season I'd fvcking kill myself.

How he has kept that shit show in the prem is beyond me.

Guest Kopfkino

The defending is a real problem that rests on him at the end of the day but some of these players need to grow a pair and want to defend. Mitigating circumstances today but really disappointing how easily we gave up goals still.

The offensive play at the start of the season was grim and he’s sorted that out so I have more hope he’ll sort it out than I did a few weeks back. Lot more pro Rodgers again than I was before Napoli

Right so this is gonna be a decent sized post (compared to my usual one liners), forgive me I'm at home bored with COVID, hence not at the game today (thankfully).

Firstly lets start off by saying Rodgers has been one of our best ever managers, bringing us two 5th place finishes, an FA Cup and a Community Shield, you really can't argue that he hasn't been successful for us. However, lately this team seems to have gone off the boil, although there are a numbers of reasons for that.

Firstly, injuries. We've had absolutely loads, no-one can argue that, some most certainly have been bad luck, Justin and Fofana being prime examples. The others though, Evans, Vardy, Ndidi, Barnes, among many others, they've all been out for decent periods of time. This is the same issue that Liverpool and Celtic had under Rodgers, is he the unluckiest bloke in history, or is it something to do with his training or recovery methods? A few injuries is bad luck, but having as many as we have for two years now can't be put purely down to bad luck. He says himself he likes small squads, but maybe we should have signed a couple of youngsters to use whenever needed to pad out the squad a little bit.

Set pieces. Time and time again and again and again and again we concede these, if it's not a set piece it's a cross, why are we persisting with zonal marking, why is absolutely nothing changing when it's obvious it's not working. He comes out after games and says we're going to work on them, improvements will be made etc. Then within the first 30 minutes of the next match we've conceded another, it's laughable at this point. How many times are we going to watch our smallest lads mark their tallest, who then end up scoring a few minutes later on the next set piece.

Defending. It's not just the set pieces though, although they're a huge part of it, it's our defending in general, the midfielders aren't tracking runners and we allow other teams to just waltz straight through us. Soumare has been the biggest culprit in most of the games I've watched, but to be fair he's new to the league. I'm not sure whether I'd class this as desire rather than purely defending, as we seem to improve when we are 2 or 3 goals down and need to find something, yet when it's 0-0 or we're 1-0 down we don't have anything in the locker.

Signings. Our signings don't seem to be as good as they used to be, Vesty and Bertrand has been genuinely awful. How much of this is down to Rodgers though rather than the club scouting themselves though I don't know, so I'm reluctant to pass all the blame there.

I don't think there's many great alternatives to him atm, hence we'll stick with him. That and the fact we won't want to pay him off as he has a huge contract, but come the summer I think we may decide to pull the plug, he certainly won't be here at the end of next season. I am very 50/50 on giving him a decent chunk of money this summer though, re-investing the Tielemans money is going to be vital to us and I'm not sure if Rodgers if the right man to do that job.

I must also point out I think the squad needs a re-fresh, I think players like Kasper and Albrighton are absolutely finished here and this should be their last season anywhere near the first team. Vardy will start to take more of a back seat to Daka from next season too, and then we'll have others like Tielemans leaving. Cags and Ricardo I think one of the two may leave, KDH will start to become a regular in the first team and I'm of the opinion that Maddison will eventually move aswell, but I think it'll all be a positive for us, the team has gone stale but they've been one of the most successful teams we've had.

• Like 3

I thought for the first hour or so we defended corners well today. They obviously got a very dubious penalty from one but other than that we were untroubled. 

However the last half an hour our set piece defending was back to the usual Keystone Cops stuff.

Andy Gray here on Bein Sport just said: “whoever has thought these Leicester players to defend set pieces like this needs questioning”. 

When you stick a non natural defender on a genuine set piece threat you’re either asking for goal or a pen. Very few strikers are natural defenders (Shearer was very good for example).

I honestly believe our instructions and set up led to the pens and the goals. It was disorganised and amateurish. Manager and his coaching staff who are paid to prepare the team. There is a clear issue with a major part of the game where we haven’t been prepared all season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

If he wants to play the boring defensive football, then a new defence is needed, as we cannot defend for dear life. Better defenders and better defensive midfielders.

We actually defended well in the second half from open play. The tactics (to be fair to Brendan) were exactly what was needed. It was the set piece defending all game which is why we are off after conceding 6 today. 

I can’t recall Kasper having too many saves from open play.

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

We've scored 19 goals in the last 7 games in all comps and won 2 of the 7......

We are a team of cavaliers , a fun ride , but if you want to win stuff ,its the roundheads who usually prevail. I've said it before, we need some 1-0 victories.

8 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

There’s obviously tonnes of issues but also an accumulation of bizarre and alien circumstances, just got to stumble through it all and see where we end up when things settle down

It’s no surprise that within the storm of Covid over the last four weeks, the PL table is starting to look as per the normal. West Ham have fell apart ala Leicester at April time. 

All of the clubs outside of the big six are going to get to March and just hope there is something that can salvage their season. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

If anything sums up why Rodgers will never be an elite manager, it is his wilful mismanagement of Iheanacho. The guy can play football and score. He was superb last season. Yet Rodgers can't be flexible enough to find a system that suits. 

Oh..... And his inability to sort out the festering sore of set piece purgatory. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I must also add we've conceded 33 goals in 17 EPL games, just under 2 a game, that is shocking. I've said for ages we need to score 3 goals to even stand a chance of winning a game and that just backs that up, remarkable lol

That's why we've had such a terrible season. The incredible thing is that we've scored so many goals that in many games we actually have got something despite conceding 2 or 3 goals. Obviously it's not sustainable but we are probably the most entertaining side in Europe. We have seen 15 goals in total in just the last 2 games! Atrocious defending doesn't even cover it though... given the squad we have I think we collectively had the worst defence in Europe this season, it's really not acceptable.

Given the lineup we put out today and being 4 down at halftime, I think we overall put in an acceptable performance today. The midweek match was a lot more frustrating than today's one, as we somehow conspired to lose a game we clearly had won with bad subs. Today was the cliched "free hit" of a game for me.

People that want Rodgers replaced, I've yet to see a realistic candidate that would be better than him mentioned. @moore_94 brought up Ruben Amorim of Sporting who is an excellent candidate IMO, but he has a 30m Euro release fee, so I don't see him leaving that club any time soon. He is probably the next superstar manager in Europe so I don't see him at Leicester. Potter? Not as good. Dyche? Have a word with yourself! Lucien Favre could be interesting but would basically be another Puel, plays young players but also prefers a a passive 4231 system. Maybe Rudi Garcia who was at Lyon when they beat Man City in the knock out rounds could be a viable option, as he plays attacking football and is currently available. That's the only one that IMO might be tempting, otherwise you're looking at unproven young managers like Lampard and Pirlo or maybe some of the failed Barcelona managers like Setien and Valverde.

The table is depressing though. The current Spurs and Arsenal teams are nothing special at all and yet we are miles away from them.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

He’s got his hands tied at the minute, but I don’t like that he gave up when the 5th went in. We had them rocking and could’ve thrown Vardy on.

It’s a tough balancing act when we’ve got another fresh, elite team on Tuesday.

Vardy felt his hamstring the other night not worth the risk IMO

• Like 1

Thought we'd started progressing on defending set pieces in recent matches but sounds like it was back to disorganisation and lack of common sense at corners vs Man City.  

My biggest criticism of the manager has been his issues in sorting set pieces, and his attitude i.e. "when we get our taller players back, we'll defend them better" or "there isn't an issue from set pieces". 

I think there is some mitigation today as it was a completely different group in defence, and you could see in our recent matches we'd had our best defenders man marking more on set pieces. 

And there has to be some perspective - the injuries the team has experienced is ridiculous. In hindsight, we don't have a big enough squad, particularly defensively, to challenge for the cups and he could have prioritised differently. 

Our attacking football is also some of the best I've seen, plus should have all of our defenders back to fitness in January. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's why we've had such a terrible season. The incredible thing is that we've scored so many goals that in many games we actually have got something despite conceding 2 or 3 goals. Obviously it's not sustainable but we are probably the most entertaining side in Europe. We have seen 15 goals in total in just the last 2 games! Atrocious defending doesn't even cover it though... given the squad we have I think we collectively had the worst defence in Europe this season, it's really not acceptable.

Given the lineup we put out today and being 4 down at halftime, I think we overall put in an acceptable performance today. The midweek match was a lot more frustrating than today's one, as we somehow conspired to lose a game we clearly had won with bad subs. Today was the cliched "free hit" of a game for me.

People that want Rodgers replaced, I've yet to see a realistic candidate that would be better than him mentioned. @moore_94 brought up Ruben Amorim of Sporting who is a good candidate IMO, but he has a 30m Euro release fee, so I don't see him leaving that club any time soon. Potter? Not as good. Dyche? Have a word with yourself! Lucien Favre could be interesting but would basically be another Puel, plays young players but also prefers a a passive 4231 system. Maybe Rudi Garcia who was at Lyon when they beat Man City in the knock out rounds could be a viable option, as he plays attacking football and is currently available. That's the only one that IMO might be tempting, otherwise you're looking at unproven young managers like Lampard and Pirlo or maybe some of the failed Barcelona managers like Setien and Valverde.

The table is depressing though. The current Spurs and Arsenal teams are nothing special at all and yet we are miles away from them.

£50m+ to get rid of Rodgers and bring in Amorim

He is the dream but like you say probably be there for a while because of how much it will cost to get him