Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

20 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Don’t get this obsession with the sporting coach - Farve, Garcia and Diego Martinez are better options. And they are readily available. 

Can't say I am impressed enough by Diego Martinez to think he should be who we go for next

Yes they had the good 1st season finishing 6th, then they finished 9th with a -18 goal difference and 10 points worse off than the previous season

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

When you watch parts of our game, you see his coaching abilities. The progression of young talent, our attacking play at times and you have to give him credit for the come back yesterday. Our goals were some of the best forward play you’ll see this season. 

However, his reluctance or ability to fix a basic necessity of the game is very worrying. It just seems like either he doesn’t or cannot fix it. The marking yesterday at set pieces had me screaming at the telly again. I see it and I’ve got a limited tactical brain. All the pundits seem to see it too. We all see it so why can’t he? I just don’t get it. 

At this point he’s dead set on getting vindication for his tactical choice of zonal marking. He’ll make complicated tweaks about who's attacking/defending which zone etc but he won’t go back to basic man marking as its not clever enough. Its purely ego at this point because anyone with any awareness of football can point out whats going wrong.

1 hour ago, cropstonfox said:

Mid-table is a good season for Leicester of old and for the current squad and set up

We have at least 9 teams with richer owners and deeper pockets .we can expect to have better and worse seasons and the occasional European campaign along with cup wins.Next season will be a lot better with the injuries clearing up.Maybe this was the point Brendon was making ref the over achievement. 

Might be 9 teams richer but there are definitely not 9 higher paid managers in the League than Rodgers. 

36 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can't say I am impressed enough by Diego Martinez to think he should be who we go for next

Yes they had the good 1st season finishing 6th, then they finished 9th with a -18 goal difference and 10 points worse off than the previous season

He got them promoted and had a decent Europa league campaign beating Napoli. Correct me if I’m wrong and had a decent second season. Granted not as good as the first but still ok. A newly promoted side finishing 6th and 9th is a decent return imo. 
Just suggesting options available. Would definitely prefer him to nuno, Koeman, Potter and Lampard. 

• Like 2

Shearer made the set-piece fix sound so simple on MOTD, just stick our CBs on their CBs and problem solved. But we've conceded from a number of different ways from corners this season. We've been done several times by near post flick-ons, Man City played it quite deep and then Konsa had a simple header at the back post when he jumped over Soyuncu. The answer isn't as obvious as just get our big men to manmark theirs. 

You could kind of see what we were trying to do yesterday, with Vestergaard and Amartey marking zonally, and they did head several away, particularly Vestergaard. But they can't get everything, and it seems to me we have a real lack of players who are aggressive enough and tall enough to attack the ball and win it regularly. Throw in a keeper who refuses to leave his line and you can see why we have a major problem. I don't think there's an easy answer as it's partly mental and partly just our players' weaknesses. It should be factored in to player recruitment however and when it's time to get a new keeper, which IMO should be the coming summer or next, they should be able to dominate their box. 

This whole narrative started by Rodgers, and now picked up increasingly by the mainstream media, that we have overperformed has really annoyed me. I think it lowers players' aspirations (contrast to Moyes publicly setting high targets at West Ham) and it is patently not true, given the quality of our squad when it is not decimated by injury. 

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This whole narrative started by Rodgers, and now picked up increasingly by the mainstream media, that we have overperformed has really annoyed me. I think it lowers players' aspirations (contrast to Moyes publicly setting high targets at West Ham) and it is patently not true, given the quality of our squad when it is not decimated by injury. 

West ham have been absolutely abysmal since he said it...

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It’s irrelevant (I personally thought it was a master stroke to reduce pressure at a challenging time) as we are decimated by injury, therefore the quality of those injured must be discounted in a contemporary setting. The injury situation cannot with good conscience be removed from any discussions on results or form this season thus far.

The "quality" of our squad gets used as some form of argument that we should be doing better. We have some very good individuals and also a lot of inexperienced players and some past their best. We should not assume that we are better than other clubs but of course we are competitive when not hamstrung with injuries. Even a fully fit squad would not get many easy matches.

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

West Ham look like they’re showing signs of cracking under the pressure though. With everyone fit we have a top 6 side. The owners know this and know that Rodgers has been dealt a shit hand this season. We have overperformed for a club of our stature. But we will do it again if we stick with Rodgers and the current crop of players, when they are fit. 

....when does our over performance become our norm!!!

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s irrelevant (I personally thought it was a master stroke to reduce pressure at a challenging time) as we are decimated by injury, therefore the quality of those injured must be discounted in a contemporary setting. The injury situation cannot with good conscience be removed from any discussions on results or form this season thus far.

...totally agree with you, but when does this stop being bad luck and not an endemic flaw within our structure!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...totally agree with you, but when does this stop being bad luck and not an endemic flaw within our structure!!!

And I in turn cannot dispute this, as if, as @Chocolate Teapot claims, we train harder than others, then Brendan and his team must bear a large portion of the responsibility for the avoidable injury tally

• Like 2

We have won the league and Cup in the last 5 years. I believe we have a right for some expectation each season. It is not acceptable to turn up and defend how we do week in week out at the moment and have a run of injuries that is obviously not all down to bad luck. Our silver tongued friend has January to sort it out. If it continues he goes by March for me. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Excellent post and have to agree.

I often thought latterly in Scotland he was too one dimensional and in terms of Europe he definitely was and it got us a few pastings. The thing is there was less scrutiny in that sense up here as we were so much better than everyone he still got away with it as we were winning everything and he could always play the finance card in Europe.

I got slaughtered a bit initially on here about saying how he and Barry Chuckle are pretty terrible in the transfer market but throughout his career, at several clubs I don't think there is one you could say Rodgers recruited very well at over the piece. I'm trying not to totally discredit him on the recruitment front but I think he's been fortunate at Leicester to come into a club with a recruitment model that is mature and runs, in comparison to most EPL clubs anyway, like a swiss watch. Due to that I think his transfer record has been a bit better at Leicester than at Celtic and Liverpool for example but I don't think that's his own doing.

Where he does excel as you allude to is as a coach and I think that should be his focus and he should be far more hands off in terms of recruitment (whether his ego would allow for that is another discussion). For every bad signing he made at Celtic for example there was a player he inherited that he turned from mediocre to a world beater, in terms of in Scottish football anyway. Guys like Armstrong and Boyata for example were whipping boys and the fans were desperate for them to leave. Rodgers turned these guys into very good players and both got decent moves to the EPL and Bundesliga and have acquitted themselves pretty well. Armstrong couldn't even get a game for us prior to Rodgers arriving. There are more he worked wonders with I could go on about, McGregor, Tierney, etc, etc.

Thanks for this 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

We have won the league and Cup in the last 5 years. I believe we have a right for some expectation each season. It is not acceptable to turn up and defend how we do week in week out at the moment and have a run of injuries that is obviously not all down to bad luck. Our silver tongued friend has January to sort it out. If it continues he goes by March for me. 

Expectations from fans like yourself is the reason why our fanbase is the way it is today, a joke. Totally unrealistic and harshly judged, this sort of following creates a that shit atmosphere and booing we have witnessed this year. I wont list the issues the club had had this year, but i can say its no fault of the manager. You need a bit of luck in this sport and weve not been dealt with any thanks to covid/injuries. k thanks happy new year.

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

And I in turn cannot dispute this, as if, as @Chocolate Teapot claims, we train harder than others, then Brendan and his team must bear a large portion of the responsibility for the avoidable injury tally

.. I  find it unlikely that they train too hard, it is very unlikely, most of the time they look out on their feet!!!

Soumare being overweight is a sign we do not have a structured S&C program. If they are spending an inordinate time on the training field, they aren't working on the things they need to address.

15 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Expectations from fans like yourself is the reason why our fanbase is the way it is today, a joke. Totally unrealistic and harshly judged, this sort of following creates a that shit atmosphere and booing we have witnessed this year. I wont list the issues the club had had this year, but i can say its no fault of the manager. You need a bit of luck in this sport and weve not been dealt with any thanks to covid/injuries. k thanks happy new year.

Come off it. The defending? The set pieces? Nothing to do with the manager?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

That’s overachieving that is.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

Whilst it's tempting, I think unless we're in real danger of relegation, it's best to get rid on the last day of the season. It might save a little bit of money but mainly we'll potentially have a bigger choice of new managers. 

40 minutes ago, Simoken said:

‘No fault of the manager’

But when he wins, or keeps the squad injury free, or signs a decent player, he takes the plaudits? 

• Like 1