Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Where does it rank them in the table for goals scored that season? Considering he was on a rebuild job. Of all his seasons in Sweden the only time Östersunds struggled for goals were their first seasons after getting promoted to the second and the first tier which is understandable.

They finished 10th that season and incidentally were the 10th highest scorers in the division. Nowt special but I'm sure there were mitigating circumstances, as you say he was only there that 1 year and Swansea were in a quick rebuild.

But it's his Brighton spell that is damning, they have finally learnt better game management as prior to this season their ability to win or even draw games was atrocious, often after appearing to have played quite well and dominated games too. Yet even now there's still huge issues with getting the job done, they've won 6 of their 21 games, only losing 4 is admirable but if you don't score goals then it's hard to win games regularly. That's why for all our faults at times under Rosgers, especially defensively, because we are so dangerous at scoring a good amount of goals we will always win a chunk of games a season.

Potter has a long way to go, maybe he'll improve but I've my doubts. Not a single one of his Brighton players has he managed to significantly improve them in front of goal. The midfielders are equally as disappointing as all the fancy quirky attackers they bring in.

1 hour ago, lcfcdamo said:

Id blame him has much has anyone it was clear to see from 15 minutes in 5 at back wasnt working we needed a dm to stop them getting through and change the shape and in the end get punshed for him not reacting to something that was obvious to see 

...pretty much spot on, we were lucky to still be alive in the game, more a case of poor finishing by Spurs, that great play by us!!!

To have got into that position and proceed to blow it all, does not all fall on Rodgers. KDH is the heart of this team, game by game he is proving to be the foundation we look to build on. He was on his last legs, but I was wary that as soon as he came off we would lose our drive and tempo. The mental fortitude of this team was substituted, we have no one else in the team that can give us that.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

You absolutely can legislate for that. The shape was ridiculous. They didn't deserve to win because of two late goals they deserve to win because they battered us for ninety before hand.

Playing a back three was fvcking retarded against a side whose main threat was a deep lying striker coming deep to pick up the ball. 

But doing it all game when you've got a defensive ball winning midfielder forced out of position in to that back five is so stupid it's hilarious. 

The entire pattern of the game was Kane dropping in to space that we didn't have a defensive midfielder in and causing havoc. 

And the answer was right in front of him the whole time - JUST PLAY THE PLAYERS IN THEIR NATURAL POSITIONS. 

After fifteen minutes of the game, Hamza should have been told to go and sit on Kane for the rest of the match and they wouldn't have had a sniff. 

Honestly one of the worst tactical displays I've ever seen from a Leicester manager on the night. I'm absolutely baffled and massively frustrated. 

Yes the players collapsed but where was the direction coming from the bench. Why was he not screaming from the touchline for them to hold shape and stay calm. Instead they're running up trying to score a third in the 92nd minute.

If that was the other way around Conte would have been screaming blue murder from the touchline. 

Absolutely fvcking inept tonight and I say that as someone that's largely been a Rodgers fan from day one. 

Completely agree with all of this. Would've been insane luck if we'd actually won the game. Their winner I can't really pin directly on him but we were crap tonight for the majority of the game. Really mystified me how we were ahead for that long.

Just to stress the players should not be getting off with that either. I've absolutely had enough of these low IQ defenders.

Collapses like this are common in his reign. I give him plenty of credit for youth development, style of play going forward and success he has had. However, he can’t fix or offer solutions to problems we keep on doing. If a side keeps having embarrassing collapses, the buck stops with the manager. It has to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Nice. One less tit in the crowd then. 

We want tits, we want tits! Lol

Rodgers has peaked with the FA Cup and 5th place finishes. We aint going anywhere else lads so lower your expectations. If we want more then we need less injuries, better defense, vardy replacement and counseling for a lack of testicular fortitude.

Sighhh

The issue is if we are any less than 3 or 4 goals up with, sometimes literally, 45 minutes to go it's like we go 12 men behind the ball and cling on for dear life. Every team starts getting deeper in the last 10 minutes when they're holding on to a 1 goal lead against a side who are perceived to be bigger than them or are outright better than them. But it's time and time and time again, take off your attackers, stick on defenders, backs to the wall for half an hour to cling on to the 2 goal lead, rather than just carry on doing what got you that 2 goal lead until 80-85 minutes. It's such a negative way to be both tactically and mentally. Yes at the minute with the decimation of the squad you can forgive it but it happens when everyone is fit and we're 2 0 up at home against relegation fodder. Often it works (f.a cup final most notably) but sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't it looks meek, spineless and tactically inept. We only ever kill teams off when everything absolutely clicks from the off and we put a hatful past teams. We've come from behind and held on as well. He's not a one trick pony manager but he is a 1 trick pony manager when it comes to being 1-2 goals up with 30 minutes to go and I'm getting fed up of knowing with half an hour left against Norwich, being 1-0 up, off comes barnes and on goes vestergaad (random made up example) here we go. What the hell is going on. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Still doesn't change the fact he's not been able to get goals out of any of his players, not any if his attacking and creative midfielders either. Its all a huge struggle and a world away from what we're accustomed to. Honestly, we'd hate him here. 

Daka and Iheanacho are probably better than any finishers he's ever worked with let alone if he had any time working with Vardy

he'd be brilliant

create the amount of chances Brighton create for those three strikers and they will have no problems scoring.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That's on him, why haven't they bought better strikers? Why aren't his midfielders scoring goals as well? They've not got one standout player who knocks in the sort of goals I'd expect a serious team in this league to do. He's too small time. Will never make it at the top, I genuinely get very worked up about the piss and wind that gets blown up his and Brighton's harris. They're not all that. 

he's got bloody Brighton and Hove in the top half of the Prem ffs.

why does it wind you up? Because he looks like a geography teacher? Or because he's the spreadsheets darling?

Edited by Dave Fishwick
  • Like 1

Haven't Brighton had the biggest differential in xg for years? Potter can't make Maupay or Well beck top finishers. Seems to me often times when I watch Brighton they miss a hatful of absolute sitters and play very nice stuff. I don't see any reason he couldn't do well at a more ambitious/bigger club. I think he's worth a go somewhere like here or Everton at some point. 

28 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

The issue is if we are any less than 3 or 4 goals up with, sometimes literally, 45 minutes to go it's like we go 12 men behind the ball and cling on for dear life. Every team starts getting deeper in the last 10 minutes when they're holding on to a 1 goal lead against a side who are perceived to be bigger than them or are outright better than them. But it's time and time and time again, take off your attackers, stick on defenders, backs to the wall for half an hour to cling on to the 2 goal lead, rather than just carry on doing what got you that 2 goal lead until 80-85 minutes. It's such a negative way to be both tactically and mentally. Yes at the minute with the decimation of the squad you can forgive it but it happens when everyone is fit and we're 2 0 up at home against relegation fodder. Often it works (f.a cup final most notably) but sometimes it doesn't and when it doesn't it looks meek, spineless and tactically inept. We only ever kill teams off when everything absolutely clicks from the off and we put a hatful past teams. We've come from behind and held on as well. He's not a one trick pony manager but he is a 1 trick pony manager when it comes to being 1-2 goals up with 30 minutes to go and I'm getting fed up of knowing with half an hour left against Norwich, being 1-0 up, off comes barnes and on goes vestergaad (random made up example) here we go. What the hell is going on. 

....dropping deep with a low block should have been the  solution to stifling the space and opportunities they were being given!!!

So long as we held our position with the Wing Backs in a flat back 5 then we deny them any width, and with a bank of 4 close enough to the backline to limit any space between the lines, there is no reason why we should not be able to manage the game from within that setup.

So long as players are not stepping out to try and win the ball leaving gaps that could be exploited, then it should not be a problem. Barnes was still fresh along with Soumare, if there was a chance to break on them, we could have used either player.

There's zero organisation. I thought a few of them did better than expected given the constraints of a ridiculous system that he still bizarrely thinks we're capable of playing. Saw the lineup this morning and knew we'd get the usual dross. I didn't quite anticipate it being that painful though.

Spurs expected goals today were the highest of any Premier League away side this season. That's a Spurs side who've been pretty flat and were missing Son and we've served that up. Absolute disgrace. Rodgers is massively underperforming this season, one of the highest paid managers in the league and I think the only reason we're as high as 10th is largely individual quality.

****ing shocking.

I’m not Rodgers out at this stage but our tactics are all over the show, yet again we concede over 20 shots in a game to the opposition, and had Kane been his usual ruthless self against us then it could and should have been a hiding. 

our defensive set up last night was hideous, I have never seen such big gaps between the 3 central defenders, our midfield provide little on the way of a shield and this allowed Spurs to attack and create chances at will, despite not looking that great. 

I don’t know what has happened this season, regardless of injuries our set up and defensive shape have been non existent and with the exception of a couple of games we have been so open, it is almost like watching U6’s play with no focus on defensive shape or discipline. 

as a top coach surely you have to recognise that our shape and style is leaving us too open and clearly as yet we don’t have the defensive quality to play in that manner, it is naive and frustrating. 

• Like 2

Forgetting the performances for just a moment. If and when we lose players, I'm more than a little concerned who we'll bring in if BR has a major say in the distribution of our transfer funds. It's a while ago now, but he left Liverpool with a load of ordinary players in the squad, especially for an elite club.

I'm just a little worried we haven't seen the worst of him/us yet.

Yes, yes, but he won the FA cup I hear many shout. That's accepted and a never to be forgotten achievement, but the fall off since then has been hideous at times. 

How can you finally come round (and seemingly be the last one to do so) to the fact that zonal marking (for this squad at least) is a fallacy, then have Luke Thomas marking Kane at corners when you decide to go man to man? It goes against all known reason.

Lost quite a lot of faith in BR after the Chelsea game, when we were disgusting. The response seemed to be that it was Chelsea and they can do that to anyone, which is a fair enough comment, but it's noticeable that they absolutely dominated us but have barely won a game since.

I thought we'd slightly turned a corner recently but last night was horrible, in almost every sense of the word. 

Get 40 points, limp to the summer and assess who's going and wtf we do about long term replacements seems the best plan now. If we can throw in some good cup performances, unambitious as it is, I think I'll settle for that now.

• Like 2

What a rollercoaster it is under this bloke. Think we will get to the summer and see him gone, club will have seen more than enough to suggest he just can't get a team to see a job through. Part of me wonders if we aren't bringing anyone in in January to give someone else a chance to head the rebuild in the summer.

1 hour ago, stretch1965 said:

He doesn't seem to be getting linked to any managerial jobs recently does he? I'm in the Rodgers in camp for now but his stock is falling with me.

I thought I saw a headline somewhere this week that Utd still have him on their list for the summer.  Probably just paper talk, but it would be a very Utd thing to do.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ll repeat again. The club won’t sack him unless we are in or right near the relegation zone. 

And why should they. One off season compared to two good seasons, if anybody deserves time it's him. However he has a big rebuild on his hands and I just hope our recruitment is better this summer. We bought in players who are not good enough last summer.

9 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

Tonight has proven one thing and that is we MUST go and get a central defender straight away,

Vestagard gives hope to any kid wanting to be a footballer he’s that bad

I wouldn't be arsed if we didn't, top 7 isn't happening anyway, and we'd probably just spend 20m on another CB like Vestergaard who ends up being a pile of shit. I'd only take a loan until the end of the season, really would like Phil Jones tbh, not sure he'd suit Rodgers CBs playing good football style though.

Focus on the cups and the league, but I'm fairly confident we'll be knocked out of both of them come mid March anyway.

• Like 1