Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

To be in the position we were last night, our game management in that last 5 minutes was appalling, that comes down the manager... He should be screaming at the players to keep the ball down their end, head to the corners etc, not trying to find an opening to score again. The players were crossing the ball into the area when all we had to do was run down the clock, amazing to see really. 

6 hours ago, Dave Fishwick said:

Daka and Iheanacho are probably better than any finishers he's ever worked with let alone if he had any time working with Vardy

he'd be brilliant

create the amount of chances Brighton create for those three strikers and they will have no problems scoring.

he's got bloody Brighton and Hove in the top half of the Prem ffs.

why does it wind you up? Because he looks like a geography teacher? Or because he's the spreadsheets darling?

If it was that easy why did Puel struggle to consistently get us to score goals? There's still an element of coaching and man management that is needed to get the danger players scoring.

Not enough is said about how good Brendan Rodgers I'd at getting his teams to play attacking football and convert chances. 

Brighton have spent a lot of money, don't make out they're some tiny club. Howe got Bournemouth doing the same for a while and Wilder for a season did it with Sheffield Utd. Potter deserves some praise but it's nothing out the ordinary what he's doing. As I repeat, not one player has he managed to improve in front of goal. They've spent a load on strikers, wingers, creative midfielders and still they struggle.

Yes we have much better attacking players and midfielders but if that's all it takes to get a team to score goals then teams would be managed by cats and paid in pouches of tuna and chicken.

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

And why should they. One off season compared to two good seasons, if anybody deserves time it's him. However he has a big rebuild on his hands and I just hope our recruitment is better this summer. We bought in players who are not good enough last summer.

Patson Daka?

1 minute ago, kimsalabim said:

Patson Daka?

What about him? Decent addition but we also brought in Vestergaard and Bertrand, who haven't made the team any better, and Samoure hasn't got going.

We haven't improved the team from last season.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What about him? Decent addition but we also brought in Vestergaard and Bertrand, who haven't made the team any better, and Samoure hasn't got going.

I totally forgot about Bertrand, he’s been that good! And Vestergaard is a lamp post. Fair play I stand corrected. 

22 minutes ago, Ricey said:

For those saying that there was nothing he could do about last night and that it wasn't his fault. Perhaps, in isolation, I can totally understand that, but people were saying similar things when we threw away a golden opportunity to qualify against Napoli, or when we threw away a semi-final spot in the Carabao Cup, or when we suurendered a 2 goal lead away at Palace, or when we capitulated against West Ham in August, or when we conceded three goals in 15 minutes against a disinterested Spurs side to throw away a Champions League place, or when we fell apart against Steve Bruce's Newcastle at home and went 4-0 down, or when we fell apart after Barnes injury against Arsenal, or the various shit-shows in Project Restart, or the Carabao Cup semi against Villa...

When it happens that often then you have to look towards the manager and look towards the personality and mental attitude of his team.

Exactly - things have quietened down on the “Rodgers out” front for 3 reasons:

1) We beat Liverpool - a great result but a game that if you play 10 times we’re lucky to win once. Not that that is a particular criticism given the side we put out, we played very well considering and Rodgers deserves credit for that.

2) The injuries - it’s very hard to judge him or the team at the moment, he’s in an impossible situation that some will blame him for (although I’m far from convinced it’s his fault).

3) (And most importantly) We haven’t been playing, which means we haven’t been losing and we haven’t had to watch the same mistakes being made week-after-week. 

I think you can have immense sympathy for the difficult position he finds himself in but also stand back and say that over the last 12 months we’ve gone backwards and that he is the main person responsible. We don’t lose any more so much as find embarrassing ways to lose and I think that’s what people find hard to take under Rodgers - the club built in Pearson’s image was mentally incredibly resilient and the teams we produced reflected that. Right now we’re a bit of a laughing stock and last night was the latest in a long line of capitulations.

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Lookman has improved the team from last season if you measure his performances in a position that was a huge weakness of ours last season. Daka is scoring at a rate every bit as good as Vardy so he's been the perfect replacement and long term heir to him.

The rest has been a total shit show though and we're heading for a huge rebuild and I'm scared. Rodgers now has his feet firmly under the table with every facet of this club, there's very little segregation of duties from " club staff " to " Rodgers staff " now, especially with recruitment and that's bothersome given his past and what we've seen this last 18 months.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Lookman has improved the team from last season if you measure his performances in a position that was a huge weakness of ours last season. Daka is scoring at a rate every bit as good as Vardy so he's been the perfect replacement and long term heir to him.

The rest has been a total shit show though and we're heading for a huge rebuild and I'm scared. Rodgers now has his feet firmly under the table with every facet of this club, there's very little segregation of duties from " club staff " to " Rodgers staff " now, especially with recruitment and that's bothersome given his past and what we've seen this last 18 months.

My one hope is that with Congerton leaving /already gone he won’t have his “yes man” at the top of our scouting department anymore and we can shift back to our previous ways of identifying targets rather than whatever the hell we do now

Pretty sure Macia is free after being booted from Bordeaux, bring him back

Guest Chocolate Teapot

We won't get rid of Rodgers but I think there's a conversation to be had in the summer about whether he's the right man for the future.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If it was that easy why did Puel struggle to consistently get us to score goals? There's still an element of coaching and man management that is needed to get the danger players scoring.

Not enough is said about how good Brendan Rodgers I'd at getting his teams to play attacking football and convert chances. 

Brighton have spent a lot of money, don't make out they're some tiny club. Howe got Bournemouth doing the same for a while and Wilder for a season did it with Sheffield Utd. Potter deserves some praise but it's nothing out the ordinary what he's doing. As I repeat, not one player has he managed to improve in front of goal. They've spent a load on strikers, wingers, creative midfielders and still they struggle.

Yes we have much better attacking players and midfielders but if that's all it takes to get a team to score goals then teams would be managed by cats and paid in pouches of tuna and chicken.

Deserves credit for the season he got out of Oli McBurnie though😂

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ll repeat again. The club won’t sack him unless we are in or right near the relegation zone. 

You're probably right, but if so the club have zero ambitions if they're happy to trot along finifhing 12th and crashing out of the Europa League group stages to a poor Spartak Moscow team. 

Think Rodgers understands, now, that it's his own decision-making that's causing some of these negative results - but he doesn't change anything to address it.

Edited by Wymsey

24 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

It never is 

I’ve said loads this year he’s cost us games but last night was individual errors you’d struggle to change it defence wise, who’s available to manage us? Rodgers will be here for a while yet. 

Oi…. Can we stop the ‘Brendan out’ posts please…

I have a Man Utd Supporting ‘mate’ who’s enjoying spamming me with screen shots from this thread talking about unrest at Leicester….  He’s loving it!

He’s a bit of a **** (my mate), but, we all still seem to like him!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

To be fair, it feels like most of the time in 2021 the reason we scored goals was because of the quality we had available rather than us crafting a number of high quality chances in games. 

Fair play though, you've really set up camp on that hill and are willing to die on it, I know the feeling lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Forgot about Lookman tbf. He provides okay competition but he doesn't look as good on the right which is the position we've needed quality in since Mahrez left.

14 minutes ago, Koke said:

You're probably right, but if so the club have zero ambitions if they're happy to trot along finifhing 12th and crashing out of the Europa League group stages to a poor Spartak Moscow team. 

Or we just have a crippling injury list without 5 first team defenders, one just back form long term injury and our best DM away at Afcon.

Genuine question could you see Man City competing in Euro without Laporte, Diaz, Stones, Walker, Cancelo, Rodri and a unfit Ake?

Edited by coolhandfox

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I wouldn't be arsed if we didn't, top 7 isn't happening anyway, and we'd probably just spend 20m on another CB like Vestergaard who ends up being a pile of shit. I'd only take a loan until the end of the season, really would like Phil Jones tbh, not sure he'd suit Rodgers CBs playing good football style though.

Focus on the cups and the league, but I'm fairly confident we'll be knocked out of both of them come mid March anyway.

💯 a loan would be the best option 

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I’m not Rodgers out at this stage but our tactics are all over the show, yet again we concede over 20 shots in a game to the opposition, and had Kane been his usual ruthless self against us then it could and should have been a hiding. 

our defensive set up last night was hideous, I have never seen such big gaps between the 3 central defenders, our midfield provide little on the way of a shield and this allowed Spurs to attack and create chances at will, despite not looking that great. 

I don’t know what has happened this season, regardless of injuries our set up and defensive shape have been non existent and with the exception of a couple of games we have been so open, it is almost like watching U6’s play with no focus on defensive shape or discipline. 

as a top coach surely you have to recognise that our shape and style is leaving us too open and clearly as yet we don’t have the defensive quality to play in that manner, it is naive and frustrating. 

Top post. Watch bottom half sides - even relegation teams and they simply don’t allow opponents so many clear efforts on goal as we do. Spurs waltzed through us at times and some great last ditch blocks, tackles, clearances, saves, prevented those moments turning to goals. But tactically we shouldn’t require that many last ditch savings. You can blame defensive injuries but the set up of the midfield and defence just don’t make it hard enough for the opposition. Rodgers teams are always defensively weak and liable to complete defensive collapse - 50 goals conceded in the season his Liverpool team finished second. He really does need to up his game in coaching a defence to defend. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Think Rodgers understands, now, that it's his own decision-making that's causing some of these negative results - but he doesn't change anything to address it.

I think you’re crediting him with waaaay too much self awareness. 

• Like 1