Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

43 minutes ago, filbertway said:

To be fair, it feels like most of the time in 2021 the reason we scored goals was because of the quality we had available rather than us crafting a number of high quality chances in games. 

Fair play though, you've really set up camp on that hill and are willing to die on it, I know the feeling lol

Hahahahaaa I have an irrational annoyance at Brighton and Potters in the cross fire I'm afraid.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We won't get rid of Rodgers but I think there's a conversation to be had in the summer about where he's the right man for the future.

If Manchester United come calling he’s off, that should tell the board to have plans in place.

We are just going through the motions no hunger to fight in the league, only saving Grace is the FA Cup

2 hours ago, Koke said:

You're probably right, but if so the club have zero ambitions if they're happy to trot along finifhing 12th and crashing out of the Europa League group stages to a poor Spartak Moscow team. 

I don’t think it’s so much ambition. Just the way the club wants to perceive itself as giving managers time and therefore it becomes an attractive role for other managers. Post Ranieri I think in some quarters they got a bit of stick via managers agents etc when looking for the next manager. 

I don’t want to hark back to this; yeah but we were in League 1. But this season has similarities with the type of season we’d have under O Neill. Some streaky runs and some awful runs. Some late goals conceded. 

I don’t think there’s a lot of defence for us Europe this season. That’s been woeful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Or we just have a crippling injury list without 5 first team defenders, one just back form long term injury and our best DM away at Afcon.

Genuine question could you see Man City competing in Euro without Laporte, Diaz, Stones, Walker, Cancelo, Rodri and a unfit Ake?

You're partly right bit we did have almost a fully fit squad from August to late November and we were still pretty poor for most of the time in that period. Crashing out of the Europa League was also really terrible. 

I like Rodgers but there's definitely a discussion to be had in the summer if he's the right man to rebuild this team and go again. The team he inherited that finished 5th twice are on its last legs. Schmeichel has declined. As has Soyuncu. Vardy is 35. Evans is all but finished at this level. Tielemans is on his way out. Ricardo keeps breaking down. We still need a permanent solution for the RW position. 

On 26/12/2021 at 17:18, Winsum said:

Total slapstick 9 goals conceded in the last two games.Nothing improving same old mistakes

Nothing is improving at the back ,Rodgers is not learning

He only knows how to play one way, and comes out with the same old shit in his post match interviews. If he don’t finish in the top 10 get rid and get someone in that’s going to do more than be Mr nice guy to everyone.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t think it’s so much ambition. Just the way the club wants to perceive itself as giving managers time and therefore it becomes an attractive role for other managers. Post Ranieri I think in some quarters they got a bit of stick via managers agents etc when looking for the next manager. 

I don’t want to hark back to this; yeah but we were in League 1. But this season has similarities with the type of season we’d have under O Neill. Some streaky runs and some awful runs. Some late goals conceded. 

I don’t think there’s a lot of defence for us Europe this season. That’s been woeful. 

We are hardly Watford are we? We do give managers time on the whole, I doubt the owners care about our perception from the outside we do run things well on the whole compared to many clubs.

As for Rodgers if he is still in charge next season I would be surprised I am expecting him to be off to Manchester United come the summer.

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

You're partly right bit we did have almost a fully fit squad from August to late November and we were still pretty poor for most of the time in that period. Crashing out of the Europa League was also really terrible. 

I like Rodgers but there's definitely a discussion to be had in the summer if he's the right man to rebuild this team and go again. The team he inherited that finished 5th twice are on its last legs. Schmeichel has declined. As has Soyuncu. Vardy is 35. Evans is all but finished at this level. Tielemans is on his way out. Ricardo keeps breaking down. We still need a permanent solution for the RW position. 

Yes, we were far worse earlier in the season with more players available. Maddison and Barnes were off form was a huge issue.

8 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We are hardly Watford are we? We do give managers time on the whole, I doubt the owners care about our perception from the outside we do run things well on the whole compared to many clubs.

As for Rodgers if he is still in charge next season I would be surprised I am expecting him to be off to Manchester United come the summer.

I can't see it personally because despite the media love in for him, he's simply not good enough. I think chairmen are a bit more diligent in their appraisal of someone compared to lazy repetitive journalists and pundits who just repeat what each other say to stay in the club.

Apart from being ex Liverpool, his record doesn't stand up to scrutiny for any big club with Champions League expectations. Despite an FA Cup win, his two end of season collapses and woeful managerial performances this season are more transparent to the people running big clubs than pundits and emotional supporters. 

If quite a few on here have concerns or misgivings about whether Rodgers should have much say on choosing players for a potential Leicester rebuild, then what would multi million pounds club owners be thinking?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Koke said:

Having no Justin or Fofana and a half fit Jonny Evans and Riccardo has been a massive blow to the defensive unit, coupled with a out of form Soyuncu.

They mistake we made was the back up recruited in Bertrand and Beanpole, they just haven't cut the mustard.

Fine line in Europe, Vardy bags the penalty at home against Moscow we are through. 

I agree this summer is massive.

Edited by coolhandfox

The best football I have seen Leicester City play has come under Brendan Rodgers in the first half of that 2019-20 season. We were outstanding. 

It's his side which also delivered what for many of us supporters was the Holy Grail of English football, the FA Cup.

To have mounted back to back top 4 challenges is no mean feat. I will give the man credit where credit is due.

But at the same time his shortcomings and failing to address the same problems again and again is infuriating. We KNOW the team is capable which makes is even worse to swallow when we completely capitulate.

I desperately want him to turn it around and build a team that can take us into the Champions League. But like those before him, has he taken us as far as he can go? 

How long can we continue to be an "ambitious project" for the brightest talents without proving that we can reach the promised land?

It might be harsh on the face of it but football is a brutal industry and if we really do want to go to the next level, the Club have to have that conversation in the summer. I'd back them to make the right call either way

Edited by TK95

28 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We generally give managers until they hit the relegation zone. This is actually more what I was told rather than I think - the owners most definitely care about perception as when they asked managers post Ranieri when Shakespeare was in temporary charge. They were getting knocked back. ‘How can you sack a bloke whose just won you the league?’ 

So when it came to Puel despite some disaster form they kept on as to be perceived as giving him time. Behind the scenes it was messy. Therefore Rodgers would have to be stinking awful not to be given time. So anyone think he’s going to be sacked for finishing 12th this season. It won’t happen. 

The only way Rodgers joins Man U is if all their other options dry up. They want Poch if they can do a deal with PSG but there’s no real plan at Man U. They are a mess at executive level. 

13 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I

If quite a few on here have concerns or misgivings about whether Rodgers should have much say on choosing players for a potential Leicester rebuild, then what would multi million pounds club owners be thinking?

More of a general point rather than a point about Man U or similar. The multi million pound club owners aren’t actually that bright. At certain clubs they choose chief executives with a better commercial record than anything to do with football

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ricey said:

For those saying that there was nothing he could do about last night and that it wasn't his fault. Perhaps, in isolation, I can totally understand that, but people were saying similar things when we threw away a golden opportunity to qualify against Napoli, or when we threw away a semi-final spot in the Carabao Cup, or when we suurendered a 2 goal lead away at Palace, or when we capitulated against West Ham in August, or when we conceded three goals in 15 minutes against a disinterested Spurs side to throw away a Champions League place, or when we fell apart against Steve Bruce's Newcastle at home and went 4-0 down, or when we fell apart after Barnes injury against Arsenal, or the various shit-shows in Project Restart, or the Carabao Cup semi against Villa...

When it happens that often then you have to look towards the manager and look towards the personality and mental attitude of his team.

Pin this post to the top of the forum. In bold. With flashing lights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricey said:

For those saying that there was nothing he could do about last night and that it wasn't his fault. Perhaps, in isolation, I can totally understand that, but people were saying similar things when we threw away a golden opportunity to qualify against Napoli, or when we threw away a semi-final spot in the Carabao Cup, or when we suurendered a 2 goal lead away at Palace, or when we capitulated against West Ham in August, or when we conceded three goals in 15 minutes against a disinterested Spurs side to throw away a Champions League place, or when we fell apart against Steve Bruce's Newcastle at home and went 4-0 down, or when we fell apart after Barnes injury against Arsenal, or the various shit-shows in Project Restart, or the Carabao Cup semi against Villa...

When it happens that often then you have to look towards the manager and look towards the personality and mental attitude of his team.

Absolutely bang on. This club is paying far too much for a manager that cannot and will not fix these issues.

It's the initial set up that sets us up to be ultra negative and boring. Vestagaard on the left is stupid. He should be central if playing. Also wingbacks do not work in this team. Thomas is a fullback. Albrighton is a winger. Neither is a wingback. After 5 minutes we had a back 5 with wingbacks dropping so far back the spurs wingbacks were permanently on the edge of our penalty area. Constant pressure. Daka was isolated. Madison to far back so their was no outlet. It was only a matter of time before spurs scored and lets face it, it could have 4-1 at half time.

With both RB's injured Choudray should have played RB in a back 4. This would have allowed Barnes to play and put us on the offensive instead of us sitting back waiting for Schmeichel to kick straight to them or the boring, repetitive and ultimately unsuccessful playing "out" from the back. 

With hopefully Amartey and Justin(at RB) back for Sunday a back 4 can be restored and we start the game in a positive manner.

Having just seen his post match interview on LCFC,I feel for him last night. When things like that happen how can you blame the manager. It was down to stupid mistakes by individuals who should be capable of better.

One thing I will hold him accountable for though, is if he puts Vester in again on Sunday. He's utter tripe, and Soyuncu isn't much better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Having just seen his post match interview on LCFC,I feel for him last night. When things like that happen how can you blame the manager. It was down to stupid mistakes by individuals who should be capable of better.

One thing I will hold him accountable for though, is if he puts Vester in again on Sunday. He's utter tripe, and Soyuncu isn't much better.

Got to say playing Ndidi and Amartey at the back is better than those two 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Amartey and Soyuncu are fine. For starts we need to play 4 at the back and not 3/5. That also helps.

As long as we move the ball forward quickly and don't casually pass it around the back and then panic with risky ball into a cramped midfield that's never on, they should be fine (in a back 4). 

Edited by turlo

It's quite simple for me, if he doesn't sort out this diabolical injury problem he has helped create and he doesn't take care of how naive he's been on set pieces for the majority of his time here then all the good he still does, such as ability to get us scoring a lot of goals and still having the majority of his players buy in to his methods will be irrelevant and he'll have to go.

I'd want him gone now if it weren't for the players still being behind him, that's always an indicator of how bad things have got. He's got these next few months to set a tone for his future here. His terrible record in Europe has one more chance of being slightly improved at a drop down in class and I'm fascinated to see how he handles the PL, FA Cup and Europe given we've 3 games in hand and our bread and butter that always takes priority is arguably the least important from a fans point of view. From a financial point of view it will still be the main focus as £2m a place will be more lucrative than winning the Conference League or FA Cup, only would the former lead to extra money next year when back in the EL but ultimately the club will likely still be worrying about getting those PL place money Benjamin's and yet that'll be scant consolation if we see our club be out of the FA Cup before the business end of it and out of the European knockouts before it gets tasty. It'll be a awful season by our recent standards and fan confidence will be very very low.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Koke said:

You're probably right, but if so the club have zero ambitions if they're happy to trot along finifhing 12th and crashing out of the Europa League group stages to a poor Spartak Moscow team. 

...the owners are looking very much long term!!!

They were aware that at this moment without selling we are going to struggle to bring the necessary quality in.

Another good cup run or trophy would very much keep them on target in view of progression. 

Only another season or so before we have the funds to go for the finished article, without a need to sell our more influential players.