Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I’m fascinated that anybody could have been “Rodgers Out” a month ago but is now not.

All of the same problems persist. Results have been better but I am not sure the performances have been.

You’re absolutely right, he still needs to get out as far as I’m concerned. Anyone that changes opinion on that based on a couple of games is probably a more heat of the moment spectator 🤔

1 minute ago, SheppyFox said:

You’re absolutely right, he still needs to get out as far as I’m concerned. Anyone that changes opinion on that based on a couple of games is probably a more heat of the moment spectator 🤔

It’s not really about whether you’re “in” or “out”, I just don’t think there’s anything in the last month that is any different to the rest of the season, except perhaps we’ve been a bit luckier on the pitch and certainly much less lucky (with injuries) off it.

It’s been such an unusual few weeks I don’t think it’s something anyone can make a fair judgement from one way or the other.

Why are people also making out that the narrative of that article is completely different from that headline when it isn't? It's more neutral and not as defeatist as it's made out, but what he does say (because he says very little of substance) is that we're doing about as well as we should be and there's just more attempts from him to reduce the expectations on him, moreso than the team.

Doesn't inspire you with belief because his is very lacking in the capabilities of the club.

12 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I’m fascinated that anybody could have been “Rodgers Out” a month ago but is now not.

All of the same problems persist. Results have been better but I am not sure the performances have been.

I think the Liverpool home half quashed (at least temporarily) some of my doubts about him.

From the Newcastle game we’ve actually attacked, rather than passed sideways, which as basic as it is, was refreshing to see. 

He’s still a bottler though at the end of the day. 

9 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

What’s that supposed to mean? 

In fairness I’ve been calling for his head for around 6 months. And slagging off his football for at least 12. 

It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate when he gets it right though 

The bloke frustrates me at times. Sometimes we all want a manager who looks like the pain of losing is killing him. But he's never been like that. If anyone wants the manager who's won us the FA Cup and finished 5th twice on the bounce to go, then they're better off just not following a football club like Leicester.

• Like 1

Whilst not at present enamoured with style of play and comments from the manager I’m also conscious that we need to be careful what we wish for

Our recruitment of managers has been hit and miss under the present regime and there’s no doubt that Rodgers has been a good appointment overall

• Like 3

Don't see anything particularly wrong with article? He's pretty bang on, we have a talented squad competing against many others. On a good season and seeing one or two others having one like ours currently we can see ourselves higher up the table. There are arguably 3 sides you wouldn't touch. 

The problem is money. In order to compete top 4-6 every season you need another level of spend. I think that's the point he makes here and he's right. We have incredible ownership but decide if you would risk that with new owners for a season or two of crazy spending to attain top 6 level credentials at the risk of big repercussions if not. Or, you enjoy the club as its run, sustainability, all inclusive and with the mentality of being a disruption to the elite, yet not a perennial achiever?

23 minutes ago, PhillippaT said:

The next question, is then, of course, who would you trust in recruitment?

I don’t know, this seems to be a common retort to people suggesting we could or should change the manager. I could list 5 or 6 names pretty quickly that will be poo-poohed for various reasons, much as some didn’t like the thought of Rodgers coming in here. There aren’t any perfect candidates but I think a change is needed, I think it’s @Cardiff_Foxwho keeps talking about 3 year cycles and they’re  right. None of this is to say Rodgers is a bad manager but it feels like the end of a cycle. 

Specifically on the recruitment I think we made a huge mistake in allowing Rodgers to bring his own man in. We’ve had great success since Pearson left in operating a model where the manager is effectively the head coach and has little involvement in other stuff. I’d like us to move more officially to that model.

Edited by ttfn

36 minutes ago, StanSP said:

My point being you've only taken one part of the article and story and ran with that. 

Two thirds of the article is slanted towards limitation and a worrying negative mindset masked as realism.

In my background in working with people on sporting performance and personal development I've seen enough of this, and especially when that person has the delicate responsibility of leading and managing a number of individuals. 

As I say, it's of no surprise but it's a marked shift in his attitude when he arrived here and installed an elite mindset in his players and from day one he got success.

Now he didn't write this article, but he provided enough soundbites for it and if he doesn't have the duty of care to understand that his words might translate to his players then we're in trouble.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Don't see anything particularly wrong with article? He's pretty bang on, we have a talented squad competing against many others. On a good season and seeing one or two others having one like ours currently we can see ourselves higher up the table. There are arguably 3 sides you wouldn't touch. 

The problem is money. In order to compete top 4-6 every season you need another level of spend. I think that's the point he makes here and he's right. We have incredible ownership but decide if you would risk that with new owners for a season or two of crazy spending to attain top 6 level credentials at the risk of big repercussions if not. Or, you enjoy the club as its run, sustainability, all inclusive and with the mentality of being a disruption to the elite, yet not a perennial achiever?

It’s the timing and the tone of the article. It was probably undertaken a couple of weeks ago for publish just before today’s game. The problem is that the performance and result on Wednesday doesn’t exactly warm you to him. 

There is a sense of look what I’ve achieved and sprinkling of I’m still here to beat those odds but appreciate what I’ve done. 

It’s written by James Sharpe who regardless of his employer is a fairly well respected up and coming football journalist - not entirely behind the “click bait” philosophy some are suggesting - which is a weird accusation if people read the article.

The problem is that the poor results this season have been linked to some pretty poor tactical/set up decisions. Marking at corners. Playing a high line with Jannik etc. There’s plenty where you can point the finger in query (rather then accusation per se) at Rodgers. Comments like this make it harder to swallow for I’d say any fan if they have a lingering “what if” after a fair few results. It’s just emotion. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The same people that say Rodgers out are the ones that suggest £30m+ players in the transfer threads. They just don’t get it. 

And yet our recruitment team have stopped looking at talented young players who aren't yet proven in the £10-20m bracket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Below are his full quotes in its full context. If you read through all the waffle about life and adversity and learning etc he isn't saying much. He could have bigged up the club and said something like "yes we've been very unfortunate with injuries and covid but we will bounce back and challenge for top 6 again. Maybe not this season but we will definitely regroup as a club and go again. Its been a tough 2021 for us but we're a big club, and like other big clubs, we will bounce back." 

‘We’re not too far from where our budget is,’ said Rodgers. ‘I’ve a dose of realism from when I came in here. I said I wanted to disrupt the market and we have done that. We have won things - which is great. Progress has been hampered a little bit this season.

‘With success, what happens is that you have two fifth-placed finishes and then you qualify for European football, people think you have created a foundation for success but for a club like ourselves, it may be the pinnacle. Because of resources and where others are at, it’s very difficult.

‘People think we are not taking one of the big clubs in this country into the top five then there’s massive resources to push it on. These players have been brilliant in these last couple of seasons. If we are missing players, then that’s where it’s at. We are on par, as such. 

‘My job is to elevate us beyond that and push and that’s what we have always done: win things, play good football and bring young players through. That’s the vision as it was outlined. For me, it’s to disrupt, keep fighting and all within keeping the club in a sustainable place. 

'Whether that’s success or failure, it’s all about the narrative. I know where we have been and where we are taking the club. If expectation is there, that’s great because it means we’ve achieved something.’

‘It’s been unfortunate, when you look at all the clubs and the injuries, It’s been unfortunate across the board,’ said Rodgers. ‘We will get those guys back and really look to attack the second half of the season.’

‘Football, like life, if you lose something that you have it can be very painful,’ said Rodgers. ‘Clearly in the game we were in a great position, seconds away from what would have been a great result. Then we lost it. It is painful, it is suffering, because it is such a big blow for us.

‘I said to the players that football is the University of Adversity. You learn to pick yourself up in football. If you don’t, you’re never going to push on. That is both coaches and players. When you are in this game, you know it is not an upward curve all the way. 

'The learning is that when the pain comes, and the suffering comes, that you react the right way. That is why I am here, to pick the players up, identify where we can be better. 

'Naturally it does hurt but that is the job and it is my responsibility. I think we have shown in the time we have been here that we have suffered we have been able to get back up and fight again. That is what’s important.'  

Did he give the interview in Spanish and Google Translate it into English?

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s the timing and the tone of the article. It was probably undertaken a couple of weeks ago for publish just before today’s game. The problem is that the performance and result on Wednesday doesn’t exactly warm you to him. 

There is a sense of look what I’ve achieved and sprinkling of I’m still here to beat those odds but appreciate what I’ve done. 

It’s written by James Sharpe who regardless of his employer is a fairly well respected up and coming football journalist - not entirely behind the “click bait” philosophy some are suggesting - which is a weird accusation if people read the article.

The problem is that the poor results this season have been linked to some pretty poor tactical/set up decisions. Marking at corners. Playing a high line with Jannik etc. There’s plenty where you can point the finger in query (rather then accusation per se) at Rodgers. Comments like this make it harder to swallow for I’d say any fan if they have a lingering “what if” after a fair few results. It’s just emotion. 

He’s chose to the tweet the line without any context fully aware what he’s doing. I accept he has no control over the headline but as LCFC fan tweeting that line on a Saturday night, he’s fully aware of how clickbait it is. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And yet our recruitment team have stopped looking at talented young players who aren't yet proven in the £10-20m bracket.

Don’t actually disagree with that at the moment. Could do with a couple experienced players at the right age as seen in these meltdowns of recent time. 

Just now, majaco said:

Does this indicate Rodgers is preparing to move on?

I think he is

Its like that part of a relationship where you know it’s dead in the water, you start making snidey comments to each other, but neither actually want to make the first move cos you don’t know what life will be like without 

7 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I think he is

Its like that part of a relationship where you know it’s dead in the water, you start making snidey comments to each other, but neither actually want to make the first move cos you don’t know what life will be like without 

Still cannot see anywhere he’s likely to go to be honest. If it is to be Man City, then we’ve got another season of this bollocks to go. Stuck with the little Irish miracle worker polishing turds. FFS. 

• Like 1