Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't see that from that article?

I do.

It's all a very self centred narrative.

If we don't have the resources he's basically telling a billionaire that's not enough which I imagine will grate slightly.

If its managing expectations then it doesn't sit well with the fans.

If it's the reality then that's not going to sit well with the players.

It's all about him protecting his legacy. If he wants bigger and better things then good luck to him, his performances this season will make that a struggle.

There's just something about him which makes him so dislikable. Good manager but not half as good as he thinks he is. He didn't invent leicester city like he makes out.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Two thirds of the article is slanted towards limitation and a worrying negative mindset masked as realism.

In my background in working with people on sporting performance and personal development I've seen enough of this, and especially when that person has the delicate responsibility of leading and managing a number of individuals. 

As I say, it's of no surprise but it's a marked shift in his attitude when he arrived here and installed an elite mindset in his players and from day one he got success.

Now he didn't write this article, but he provided enough soundbites for it and if he doesn't have the duty of care to understand that his words might translate to his players then we're in trouble.

Given the season thus far, is that a surprise?

and what else did he say that wasn’t put in the article ???

Rodgers if he gets us this season in Top 10-7th,then he deserves a " get out of Jail card"...

We/he have had quite a few mitigating circumstances, these last One & half seasons...

he also gets some ridiculous upto crap critic, bordering  on imature intern Social media Type agendas..

His Mandate was to get us competing for Europe...& nip in with a Chance for some silverware..

Well he has done this, Maybe on a Shakey platform, But since Ranieri/MON/Gillies has gave us some decent return..I

This season has been in performances an howler, But the players he Shielded long enough, After some poor performances.

Be still as to Shoulder quite a few responsibilities, for our misfiring...

This season is not yet dead,But both manager & players have to Step up, Maybe Take examples from Arsenal/Spurs/Wolves Play & spirit..

35 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s the timing and the tone of the article. It was probably undertaken a couple of weeks ago for publish just before today’s game. The problem is that the performance and result on Wednesday doesn’t exactly warm you to him. 

There is a sense of look what I’ve achieved and sprinkling of I’m still here to beat those odds but appreciate what I’ve done. 

It’s written by James Sharpe who regardless of his employer is a fairly well respected up and coming football journalist - not entirely behind the “click bait” philosophy some are suggesting - which is a weird accusation if people read the article.

The problem is that the poor results this season have been linked to some pretty poor tactical/set up decisions. Marking at corners. Playing a high line with Jannik etc. There’s plenty where you can point the finger in query (rather then accusation per se) at Rodgers. Comments like this make it harder to swallow for I’d say any fan if they have a lingering “what if” after a fair few results. It’s just emotion. 

I completely take your points. He's not immune to criticism clearly and rightly so.  The trouble is these flaws to his management have probably always been there but in a season of ridiculous injuries and now afcon absence they are heightened. He's a very good manager, and with a fully fit squad you would expect them to be doing better.

But he comes with no guarantees, we live in a throw away society. "He's not doing very well for me, get rid"... why? 

We're blooding some youngsters through now, we have talented players who will return. You manage Leicester you have to accept with this business model we will always sell our top players at some time, managers clearly don't want to but that is our model and Rodgers signed up to that. 

I've been critical this season and will no doubt be moaning about something again at 4pm today but I strongly believe Rodgers under the regime and finances we operate in has done an exceptional job and would continue to support come season end, even if a weak mid table limp over line.

Edited by Blanchflower78

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

My job is to elevate and that’s what we have always done: win things, play good football and bring players through. That’s the vision, to disrupt, keep fighting whilst keeping the club sustainable”

You're choosing to believe one part of what he says. Not anything else. 

Stan are you not just doing the same with parts of the article which suits your side/opinion/narrative ? How is it any different ?

I mean there are parts in the article which suit…no actually, directly quote the headline. Yet when some jump on that, they’re impulsive, have not read the article or just stupid to those who go against the subjective view of those in blind support of Brendan. I mean there is a guy on this thread referencing the article on how or why we are choosing to build up our infrastructure - like that is even needed. 

After Wednesday, SOME of the comments contained in the article are inflammatory. Without context, they seem defeatist, an excuse for a pathetic collapse. Realistically, he probably gave the interview a few weeks ago. It doesn’t change the perception. 

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I do.

If we don't have the resources he's basically telling a billionaire that's not enough which I imagine will grate slightly.

It's all about him protecting his legacy. If he wants bigger and better things then good luck to him, his performances this season will make that a struggle.

There's just something about him which makes him so dislikable. Good manager but not half as good as he thinks he is. He didn't invent leicester city like he makes out.

Generally when he gets to the end he does begin to start having these remarks in the media.

As you say, looks like he's starting to push the narrative we don't have the funds to push the top 6 rather than it being down to some of his management issues. 

4 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I heard a story about a team of underdogs who won the PL, I think they had odds of 5000:1 at the bookies or something like that.

Pinnacle my arse. 

With the right mentality, team work and bit of luck, we can do anything.

a massive chunk of luck is more like it!..

We rode the perfect storm in 15/16.

It's highly unlikely anything like that will ever happen again..

But that's ok, just extremely thankful we experienced it.

9 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Still cannot see anywhere he’s likely to go to be honest. If it is to be Man City, then we’ve got another season of this bollocks to go. Stuck with the little Irish miracle worker polishing turds. FFS. 

He won’t go to Man City 

Hes simply not good enough. Nowhere near the calibre of manager required to be there

• Like 1

Rodgers is not on the same page as the owners

They stated they wanted European football on a regular basis

it can be achieved but it needs very good management and very astute buying

And selling of players

Ajax have used this model for years

We have amazing facilities and the opportunity of developing players

We buy cheap and sell very high , we invest the proceeds wisely

So far under Rodgers we certainly ain’t invested wisely and he appears

to be looking for an avenue to justify his shortcomings

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

And yet our recruitment team have stopped looking at talented young players who aren't yet proven in the £10-20m bracket.

Haven't we only signed like 4 players over 20 million in his time here, 3 of those were Daka, Fofana and Youri. They have hardly just gone after huge names window after window

6 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Stan are you not just doing the same with parts of the article which suits your side/opinion/narrative ? How is it any different ?

I mean there are parts in the article which suit…no actually, directly quote the headline. Yet when some jump on that, they’re impulsive, have not read the article or just stupid to those who go against the subjective view of those in blind support of Brendan. I mean there is a guy on this thread referencing the article on how or why we are choosing to build up our infrastructure - like that is even needed. 

After Wednesday, SOME of the comments contained in the article are inflammatory. Without context, they seem defeatist, an excuse for a pathetic collapse. Realistically, he probably gave the interview a few weeks ago. It doesn’t change the perception. 

Nah, because I agree some of the comments probably don't and won't sit right with people. But that's not the whole story, literally. It's quite clear the first lot of comments are from people that only saw that quote and jumped with it. So I was only coming in from the angle that it's not all that was said and there was some other positive things mentioned in the article. 

I can get that some will be put off by his comments and the fact it's not the first type of comment he's made it's probably triggered them again (understandably). But this time is anything he's saying wrong?

Have we reached the pinnacle? Possibly.

Will we continue to fight and disrupt? Most definitely, in my eyes. 

Do we have a budget not as strong as others? Most definitely.

In terms of those comparative budgets, were we punching above our weight? Yes, and that applies for 2015/16 as well.

Should we be doing better than we are? Most definitely. 

Like you say, it's the context. That headline in isolation seems in bad taste. Along with everything else, it's probably not so bad because Rodgers and the club also has the ambition to want to challenge. Which is another reason I don't think he's going to leave or heading out. 

Those that think it's a signal out, do you really think Rodgers came here thinking he would have Man City-esque billions to spend? Not a chance. He knew he had a project and challenge to work with and some of that has definitely been achieved. Club is about to enter a transitional period (Yes, I know some hate that phrase). Older players due to leave, some players to be sold - I think he'll enjoy the beginning of the next 'phase' of the club and I don't think he'll chicken out and jump. 

7 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I do.

This. Every time things go a little sour, Brendan is always trying to offer a little spin that makes himself look good. Everything is some kind of self-preservation ploy. 

It’s been interesting listening to how different managers react to dropping points lately. Pep was bursting with praise for his players in his immediate post-game remarks at Southampton when he could have easily stated that Foden didn’t track back on the goal even though that’s what Pep teaches his players. But he didn’t say that because he understands the psychology of the situation and how to keep his players motivated, even if it made himself look ridiculous in the interview. 

Nige was the king of that, he didn’t care if he came across as a complete knob to the press as long as it benefited his players. 

Brendan just had to slip in that Youri didn’t do what he’s been coached to do in that situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blanchflower78 said:

I completely take your points. He's not immune to criticism clearly and rightly son. The trouble is these flaws to his management have probably always been there but in a season of ridiculous injuries and now afcon absence they are heightened. He's a very good manager, and with a fully fit squad you would expect them to be doing better.

But he comes with no guarantees, we live in a throw away society. "He's not doing very well for me, get rid"... why? 

We're blooding some youngsters through now, we have talented players who will return. You manage Leicester you have to accept with this business model we will always sell our top players at some time, managers clearly don't want to but that is our model and Rodgers signed up to that. 

I've been critical this season and will no doubt be moaning about something again at 4pm today but I strongly believe Rodgers under the regime and finances we operate in has done an exceptional job and would continue to support come season end, even if a weak mid table limp over line.

Absolutely and I have no issue with your analysis here. The issue is that some are not reacting well when our shortcomings this year have come from mind-boggling tactical and set up issues. 

Guys, we played a high line v Spurs with Vestegaard. Not only were we carved open until we scored, we continued to do so and were caught out. When you combine that with us taking months to address (not fix) our defensive lapses from corners, fans who have criticism or have lost patience, are not all “reactive”. We have had some embarrassing collapses under Brendan. We could sit here and list them all. 

The point I’m trying to make is some fans don’t want to hear part of what’s in that article a tone which we are getting more and more of this year when there are some glaring issues aside from injuries and Afcon. That tone irks when you can allocate some blame towards coaching, set up and tactical approach. 

I agree completely with you that Brendan has some incredibly positive traits. His ability to coach young players is some of the best I’ve seen. Excellent. But there are also flaws. 

What I’m saying is that there always seems to be a tone on here that if you question or take issue with the management you’re immediately classed as unreasonable, uneducated and unappreciative. It couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s opinion which whether others like it or not holds some truth this year. 

Those fans don’t want to be told that we should appreciate our manager who over saw a 12 second collapse from a near on impossible position - only made possible because of our idiocy. 

So yes, combined with the result on Wednesday and the timing of the article, we are getting reactions. However, pretending large parts of the article doesn’t say what it does is a very confusing argument.

• Like 3

Nothing ever changes in any forum posts..

People who Keep Posting over 2 seasons they want him gone,will repeatingly dish out Weekly snidey remarks...

those on the fence/ Not bothered/ prefer him to stay....get bored of the same rhetoric, and ease off  in topic-posting,

that one then only reads posts, where those that in their agendas  insist a manager must go...I

I believe more in the Quiet majority...

Its only those who Love & Insist on the negative narrative of player/manager/fans who seem & deem it necessary to Keep posting to force their opinion.

They Remind me of those players at Rummi-club, who in their turn move all the group of Squares around, but in the end confuse only themselves &

end up still not being able to lay one square of their own....:P