Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If Ranieri had his way, the injury list would have been worse under him. Had to be told by the conditioning/sports science staff (still at LCFC) to calm down on the double sessions and do light training more often 

So presumably Rodgers isn’t listening to these same sports science staff?

Anyone thinking that all these injuries are a mere coincidence (given our relative injury free seasons pre Rodgers) and going on what Liverpool fans said about injuries under his tenure there (and Celtic where it was less of an issue due to the standard of the league) is truly an ostrich 

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

So presumably Rodgers isn’t listening to these same sports science staff?

Anyone thinking that all these injuries are a mere coincidence (given our relative injury free seasons pre Rodgers) and going on what Liverpool fans said about injuries under his tenure there (and Celtic where it was less of an issue due to the standard of the league) is truly an ostrich 

Said before here recently - can’t work that part out. You’d think Matt Reeves and the like would have left if they felt the training was too much and they were not being listened to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzFOX said:

It’s pretty simple: Training and playing hard is all good as long as the players get proper recovery time. If they don’t then it’s a ticking time bomb. they are still human 

A lot of LCFC fans seem to forgot that this is the third season with a really congested schedule and we are going to a fourth season of a similar nature next season. 

In addition to that LCFC in those seasons have been the only non big six club to try and managed four competitions. 

Other teams have had equally disaster runs - Liverpool notably last season but they have a squad deep enough to get 28/30 points at the end of a season to achieve top four. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Don't think we lost a game in jan 2021...(having checked we lost once, but we're top of the table after battering chelsea)

Also think we've played well against Newcastle, Liverpool, Watford (twice) and man utd so that's 5 games at least. With many of those games being more recent.

And we're 10th.

Apart from that a phenomenally well balanced and thought through post.

sorry mate let me rephrase

- we last had a good run of performances 12 months ago, not the originally stated 13 months ago

- we’ve performed well in 5 games, rather than the 3 games I claimed (there’s been 30 matches this year).

Regarding the ‘we’re 10th’. Yep, yes we are! And we’re overachieving! 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
42 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

sorry mate let me rephrase

- we last had a good run of performances 12 months ago, not the originally stated 13 months ago

- we’ve performed well in 5 games, rather than the 3 games I claimed (there’s been 30 matches this year).

Regarding the ‘we’re 10th’. Yep, yes we are! And we’re overachieving! 

Yes and in the meantime we've beaten man utd twice, Liverpool, Chelsea, man city and spurs winning the fa cup and the community shield.

PANIC!

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The sheer stubbornness for months on refusing to go man to man marking and/or have a player on the back post even though we've been one of the worst teams at defending set pieces stretching back in to last season trumps anything we may have done well so far this season.

Injuries may be the nature of the best given the relentless schedule but they allowed Jamie Vardy to carry on playing in 2 different games he was injured in in a week and the 2nd one has ruled him out for at least 3 months. It's examples like that and his awful injury records at other clubs that make hard to ignore and put down to just bad luck.

Hopefully we can still salvage some decent end to the season, I still am not yet ready to see him binned off, this final part of the season is crucial for what happens next as a rebuild is coming.

I definitely join your points on his stubbornness. But in his defence, the defence over the last two seasons has been more often good than bad. So, I can get why he’s tried to be stubborn and stick to what he believes in. But I think a lot of coaches have that issue, Pearson was very similar when things weren’t going well. 

his lack of flexibility does annoy me, and often the way he talks in the media, but I think he’s genuinely trying to protect his players. 

The reason I picked on the injuries is because I was speaking to a physio the other week, and we were talking about this, and he said that what’s happening to us, is a classic example of players being overworked, it’s the little niggles and tears that don’t get a chance to heal, and then eventually pop. 

You learn a lot about managers when their backs are against the wall, Fergie was a master at it, it’s why he had such a long career, and will go down as the greatest ever football manager, but these top managers all have something in common that Brendan lacks, my one real criticism of Brendan is he doesn’t have that killer instinct, he’s not nasty, he doesn’t get his sides to have that edge about them. It’s why he will never consistently rub shoulders with the likes of Klopp and Pep, they’re prepared to be a pair of ***** from time to time, and that’s what gets you to the top.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I definitely join your points on his stubbornness. But in his defence, the defence over the last two seasons has been more often good than bad. So, I can get why he’s tried to be stubborn and stick to what he believes in. But I think a lot of coaches have that issue, Pearson was very similar when things weren’t going well. 

his lack of flexibility does annoy me, and often the way he talks in the media, but I think he’s genuinely trying to protect his players. 

The reason I picked on the injuries is because I was speaking to a physio the other week, and we were talking about this, and he said that what’s happening to us, is a classic example of players being overworked, it’s the little niggles and tears that don’t get a chance to heal, and then eventually pop. 

You learn a lot about managers when their backs are against the wall, Fergie was a master at it, it’s why he had such a long career, and will go down as the greatest ever football manager, but these top managers all have something in common that Brendan lacks, my one real criticism of Brendan is he doesn’t have that killer instinct, he’s not nasty, he doesn’t get his sides to have that edge about them. It’s why he will never consistently rub shoulders with the likes of Klopp and Pep, they’re prepared to be a pair of ***** from time to time, and that’s what gets you to the top.

About this so called lacking in comparison...

Für comparison are often with Top Elite managers..3-5% of all managers..ever!

But Rodgers & City fans,can be Happy if he aint even in the First 90% he falls somewhere high..

These "stubborn"  "unflexable" opinions are plain nonsense...No manager will follow the ideology of the fans,they ALL have their ownways & approach ,Character

& will Mix & change through their career paths...Its often the negative shit Spreaders of Social Media fans,who Keep repeatingly Throwing put the same shit of vocabulary & character assination...

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

All this bollox about "elite managers", what does that even mean? Benitez won the champions league, Ranieri won the league both recently sacked. 

Southgate did nothing as club manager but got England into a final, is he elite? 

Does anyone think Pep could get Stockport County into the Premier league? 

Success depends as much, if not more, on circumstances rather than talent. 

Elite manager is just more boring buzz words that people use because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable. 

Guardiola is undoubtedly a clever bloke and his record speaks for itself but he has managed three of the wealthiest clubs in the world which has to be a major factor in his success. Perhaps one day he will take an unfancied club to the top and that will certainly cement his reputation.

20 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Guardiola is undoubtedly a clever bloke and his record speaks for itself but he has managed three of the wealthiest clubs in the world which has to be a major factor in his success. Perhaps one day he will take an unfancied club to the top and that will certainly cement his reputation.

I often see this argument being made and think, why would a professional at the top of his game do that though? He’s in that position because he deserves to be. 

Guardiola constructed, coached and built possibly the best team the game has ever seen. 

• Like 2

Just now, kingkisnorbo said:

I often see this argument being made and think, why would a professional at the top of his game do that though? He’s in that position because he deserves to be. 

Guardiola constructed, coached and built possibly the best team the game has ever seen. 

Agreed. 

If he wasn't good enough to be managing the best he would be found out by now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

For some of us doing more with less is seen as a larger and more interesting challenge and achievement to watch. Kind of like supporting the underdog. Watching a team punch above their weight. :vardy:Not much interest for me watching someone born on third base score a home run. The American version.

My issue with Rodgers has always been his stubbornness in all senses and the fact that he has tried to downplay our ambitions. If he could iron these things out we'd be much better off. I'd give him time like Everton did with moyes. 

Edited by NasPb

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

All this bollox about "elite managers", what does that even mean? Benitez won the champions league, Ranieri won the league both recently sacked. 

Southgate did nothing as club manager but got England into a final, is he elite? 

Does anyone think Pep could get Stockport County into the Premier league? 

Success depends as much, if not more, on circumstances rather than talent. 

Elite manager is just more boring buzz words that people use because they think it makes them sound knowledgeable. 

completely agree with that statement.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s come from managers and agents of managers so they all stay on the big club merry go round as the likes of Benitez and Ancelotti have. 

1 hour ago, Fox1980 said:

completely agree with that statement.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s come from managers and agents of managers so they all stay on the big club merry go round as the likes of Benitez and Ancelotti have. 

...the only reason why those two managers are still getting jobs with big clubs are, the chairmen are all naive, and pandering to their fanbase!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Agreed. 

If he wasn't good enough to be managing the best he would be found out by now. 

It's also a very legitimate argument to point out that the very best and wealthiest clubs will willingly employ the very best manager. 

Why would they employ someone who isn't that good to protect their legacy? 

4 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Yes but there's nothing like taking Leicester city to winning the league on football manager 1996 is there? 

29 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's also a very legitimate argument to point out that the very best and wealthiest clubs will willingly employ the very best manager. 

Why would they employ someone who isn't that good to protect their legacy? 

Ask Man U that lol 

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Is being a handful of places lower, safely in midtable, after a couple of seasons of overachieving to be quite frank, really enough of a reason to sack the manager that has overseen some of the best years of our entire history?

Last season we were being discussed as the next big 6 team and now it is being classed as over achieving lol

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12227534/leicester-city-are-in-the-big-six-now-brendan-rodgers-on-the-tactical-flexibility-that-is-key-to-their-success

12 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

Last season we were being discussed as the next big 6 team and now it is being classed as over achieving lol

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12227534/leicester-city-are-in-the-big-six-now-brendan-rodgers-on-the-tactical-flexibility-that-is-key-to-their-success

That's great but surprisingly, I didn't write that article