Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think people who think we're going to become good with everyone fit (which is a big if if that even happens) are in for a rude awakening. We've had collapses with Fofana in the side.

Every team has collapses tho, Liverpool lost 7-2 to villa when they had their strongest back 4 and keeper.

Our buildup is so reliant on playing our from the back, but we’ve not had our best players for doing that available. Thomas really isn’t great at progressing the ball up the pitch, I like him and he’s a good player for his age but ball progression isn’t one of his strengths. I think this is similar with castagne who is good at receiving the ball up the pitch but not so good at getting it up there. Justin and ricardo are are much better at this. Also fofana is one of the best centre backs in the world at dribbling the ball out of the back, statistically speaking. Once all these players are back and at full fitness we should be much better at dominating the ball and getting it up the pitch efficiently.

The players that are/have been injured are also just much better defensively and the stats prove that as well. We are without a doubt going to be much better at the back. 

26 minutes ago, kingfox said:

The thing is mate, all fans know that, we know we have one of the worst defences in the league, because it gets stated week in week out.

However what fans may not realise is our on the ball and off the ball stats, we can see it materialise on the pitch, but we never know for certain until those stats are brought to our attention.

I said after the Brighton game, I can take a season of being average, what I can’t take is to see a team who lack effort & desire, many posters agreed with me, now Richard Jolly’s tweet just proves what I stated.

When teams have the worst off the ball stats in the league, it shows one thing, they’ve lost the desire to play. You can’t blame scheduling and injuries on the teams desire to work, many teams have been in the same boat as us, yet they are still producing better work rate than us. We had a depleted team against Liverpool; however they were able to find their effort & desire that day, but in the majority of other matches this season, they haven’t.

I can remember when that stat became prominent a couple of season’s back, when West Ham were under Pellegrini or Bilic, might have been both. Sky numerous times mentioned their off the ball statistics, which saw them rank bottom in that department, in the end it led to average finishes, fans turning on the team, then inevitably the manager getting sacked.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. If the off the ball stats are caused by players being unable to meet the demands of playing football then replace them, if its more being caused because of issues between the management and the players then there's only one winner there I'm afraid. Rodgers is on borrowed time.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The most obvious reflex reaction to this is of course we're worse defensively, we've had horrendous injuries at the back. Of course we're worse at set pieces, most of our tall players are out, of course we are worse off the ball, the schedule of the last 2 years has been relentless and add in the former where selection is then difficult to enable rotation and it eats itself and grows.

However, all of those are arguably our own doing. If the style of football we want to play is passing out from the back and a defensive high line then you always need the players for it, if we want to press and have the energy to retain the high work rate off the ball then we need enough players to be able to do that and we need to be able to cope with having European football.

If we get back to doing both well next season without European football then all that suggests is we have limitations at dealing with meeting our ambitions. 

I'm tired of the excuses. I get why certain things are happening but they shouldn't be happening in the first place. If Rodgers cannot keep a squad fit to meet the demands of domestic and European football with the methods he instills, then change the methods. If its not the methods but the suitability of the players then change the players. If its the manager that's causing a large part of this then at some point difficult questions have to be answered between the board and the said regime.

Still score some bloody goals though eh?!

Ric never misses 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Every team has collapses tho, Liverpool lost 7-2 to villa when they had their strongest back 4 and keeper.

Our buildup is so reliant on playing our from the back, but we’ve not had our best players for doing that available. Thomas really isn’t great at progressing the ball up the pitch, I like him and he’s a good player for his age but ball progression isn’t one of his strengths. I think this is similar with castagne who is good at receiving the ball up the pitch but not so good at getting it up there. Justin and ricardo are are much better at this. Also fofana is one of the best centre backs in the world at dribbling the ball out of the back, statistically speaking. Once all these players are back and at full fitness we should be much better at dominating the ball and getting it up the pitch efficiently.

The players that are/have been injured are also just much better defensively and the stats prove that as well. We are without a doubt going to be much better at the back. 

Every team has collapses but we have a terrible amount. In the last year alone I count 8 games where we've either blown a 2 goal lead or lost a game from a winning position.

This is in no way an endorsement of Puel but we were very good at holding onto leads under him. The catch I suppose is we only held it every 4 games lol it's a facet of our game that's nosedived - and again, some of these happened with Fofana in the side. I think we'll get marginally better but it won't be some silver bullet. The side we named v Brighton was nearer to a strong side than people want to admit.

• Like 2

Injuries explain a normal decline thats relative and not a nose dive like we seen. We're  underperforming mainly due to Rodgers. Our team should be top 8 at the very minimum.. His lack of proactiveness and pragmatism has hurt us a lot. And don't get me started on his mentality and it's affect on the squad. No one's lost so many leads like him. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Injuries explain a normal decline thats relative and not a nose dive like we seen. We're  underperforming mainly due to Rodgers. Our team should be top 8 at the very minimum.. His lack of proactiveness and pragmatism has hurt us a lot. And don't get me started on his mentality and it's affect on the squad. No one's lost so many leads like him. 

Relative to what? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I think you would have to be overly idealistic to say that we werent lucky for our best ever side to coincide with an off year for the usual top 6 sides. You can't really argue that a side didnt deserve to win the title when they got 81 points despite expecting around 40, it's a huge achievement and definitely deserved the silverware it got. It's about the expectations of the side as well, if Man United or Man City won the league that year with 81 points after spending 1 billion they would be much less deserving of the title than ourselves who had a starting XI of 25m.

You do open up a warren because you mention the season we won we were expected to get around 40pts but ended up with the title, but, as you say due to a bit of luck & underperformance of other sides coupled with everything falling into place team wise. Now when questioned if we are overachieving its not liked, but why not, because some how we won the league thats skewed all expectations we did it once & therefore should be at the top table every season.
See what i mean just 5 seasons ago we were expected to get 40pts just to stay in the league now we are expected to be CL, 5 seasons to go from relegation candidates to Top 4 all off the back of 1 perfect storm season, reading that out loud several times just blows my mind.
The reality is getting the win made it harder for us & clubs like us as it jolted the so called big clubs into making sure it didn't happen again, how much did they spend that summer & summers since.
Whilst we have some great prospects & a paper team that looks to be our best ever so do all the other teams like us, i bet there's Brighton, West Ham, Villa, Palace, Wolves (Everton?) fans all saying the same thing as us & saying we should be Top 6-10 with this team maybe push for 4th.
The money involved since the 15/16 season is gross & we are 13th in net spend of the current Premier clubs, the clubs i mention bar Palace have all spent more & a couple of them twice as much as us, every club has a deeper & better squad than when we won.
Those teams are having their perfect storms currently & i know its boring but we don't have a defence, hand on heart if we were sat in 10th having played our best starting 11 i'll be pitching in with the its not good'enoughs, reality is Justin, Ricardo, Fofana & Evans full fit takes us from Top10 to pushing Top 4

Expected & Expectations are 2 different things, i think most of us are using the latter but some have nailed their flag to the former which is why they are having a troubled season personally as well as not seeing the wood for the trees.

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Liverpool got 97, pts in 18/20, 99 pts in 19/20 then only got 69 pts in last season a drop of 30 points?

Is that a slight regression 

So Klopp could have done more? 

They only lost 2 CB, compare to us losing a whole first choose back 4.

I hate defending Liverpool but it was more than just 2 cbs last season. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Liverpool got 97, pts in 18/20, 99 pts in 19/20 then only got 69 pts in last season a drop of 30 points?

Is that a slight regression 

So Klopp could have done more? 

They only lost 2 CB, compare to us losing a whole first choose back 4.

12 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

This and the fact that what annoys me most is Rodgers is messing up with the the stuff that can be prevented. Ie why i said he's not pragmatic or flexible enough 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Other then Henderson and the 2 CB, most of the best 11 was available for over 30 games. 

Wijnaldum 38

Robertson 38

Salah 37

Roberto Firmino 36

Arnold 36

Sadio Mané 35

Alisson 33

Fabinho 30 

Jordan Henderson 21

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Other then Henderson and the 2 CB, most of the best 11 was available for over 30 games. 

Wijnaldum 38

Robertson 38

Salah 37

Roberto Firmino 36

Arnold 36

Sadio Mané 35

Alisson 33

Fabinho 30 

Jordan Henderson 21

They had vvd, matip and Gomez out as well as Henderson. Also kabak and Davies got injured as soon as they signed. 

12 hours ago, NasPb said:

This and the fact that what annoys me most is Rodgers is messing up with the the stuff that can be prevented. Ie why i said he's not pragmatic or flexible enough 

So was Klopp the same last season after drop 30 points? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

They had vvd, matip and Gomez out as well as Henderson. Also kabak and Davies got injured as soon as they signed. 

Kabak still managed to play 9 times in the league and 4 times in the Champions League so he had a major contribution. They had Fabinho available all season and he is more than capable of playing Centre Back, as is Hendo, as was Phillips. Not to mention the quality of the wing backs, central mid back up and attack able to help a team which because of the quality of the squad will have to defend less than us anyway. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So was Klopp the same last season after drop 30 points? 

...I  felt Klopp accepted very early that he was not going to be challenging to contest the league so decided to focus in other areas!!!

It did not stop him from constantly bleating about his injury problems to anyone that was within earshot.

Once the media had bought into their "problems" it relieved any pressure on him for that season. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 23:56, BoyJones said:

We have got some real scumbag supporters. Negative, Wokey, just love criticising anything and everything they can about the club, players or management. We’re all entitled to an opinion, but base it on fact and a sensible argument. Don’t jump on the let’s slag off BR band wagon, his record and desire to succeed is evident. 

After 60 years following the City, the current set of so called supporters are the worst in my experience, or at least the key board warriors who infest Toxic Talk. It’s all about them.

If you going to come out as the referee you need to follow your own rules, if an opinion has to be based on fact then its not an opinion, so either you ok with opinions or you not.

Yet.

just love criticising anything and everything they can about the club, players or management.

You make an opinion yourself not based on fact.  What proof have you got of this statement?

his record and desire to succeed is evident.

Again not based on fact, he has now no desire to succeed with us in his "own words" we have hit our pinnacle.  His record is all over the place as well.

After 60 years following the City, the current set of so called supporters are the worst in my experience, or at least the key board warriors who infest Toxic Talk. It’s all about them.

Dont know, whenever I meet a football supporter of "any" club and they see their managing ballsing up tactics, or players not putting in a shift, they are not happy either, its been a thing since I have started following football.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrysalis said:

I think 1st is our ceiling considering we have managed to actually get 1st ;)

In 2022 there’s no way that we can compete with a 7 year deep Pep Man City squad and likewise Klopp with Liverpool and soon Tuchel with Chelsea. Yes we can go toe to toe with them but we simply don’t have the squad depth and international draw to keep a fresh squad for ho can keep up with them season after season. It’s a sad truth. We should be doing better this season but to describe it as a nose dive like some people have is a bit excessive. Rodgers should owed the chance of a rebuild over the summer. 

• Like 1

I don't think by rebuild we are going to start next season with wholesale changes. A couple of new faces maybe. Teams that have changed five or six players at once invariably struggle. Our biggest problem once again is selling highly paid contracted players. Loaning out players almost always with us means paying a substantial part of their wages.