Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I agree with his comments yesterday about players thinking they're better than what they are and there's a need to overhaul the squad.

My issue is that I don't know what his tactics are aside from sideways passing.  Will a squad overhaul change that? I'm not sure it will.

And his record in the transfer market makes me think a major overhaul is not something I would necessarily trust him with.

I thought it would be harsh to say this about Brendan, but given we have just been knocked out of the one cup he has brought to the club, this is the curtain now being drawn on his tenure. 

Let's not forget Ranieri who won the bloody league and was fired with the club down in 16th. However, he got us through the first stage of the Champions League that season, something Brendan didn't achieve in a weaker competition this season.

It was the manner of yesterday's performance that exposed deep rooted issues more so than the result.  Brendan has lost it and strangely ever since we opened the training ground with all those fantastic facilities our form has deteriorated.

The club/players look lost even clueless to me with no visible prospect of issues being addressed. Same failures, same results. 

I feel Top won't sack Rodgers because of the loyalty aspect, but that loyalty may only last to the end of this season. Personally I would get someone else in as soon as we can, but sadly I cant see it happening now until summer. 

We are incredibly easy to score against and have been for some time now. We all know the set piece issues as well. If you're going to championship sides and being hit by 4 then you know you have big problems. It's not an isolation case it's been the case all season and before. Every time we play you sense an opposition goal will happen, it's crazy.

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We are incredibly easy to score against and have been for some time now. We all know the set piece issues as well. If you're going to championship sides and being hit by 4 then you know you have big problems. It's not an isolation case it's been the case all season and before. Every time we play you sense an opposition goal will happen, it's crazy.

Totally agree. I couldn't believe the amount of people predicting a comfortable win yesterday. I know a Forest fan fairly well & told him 'your lot will score at least 2'.

Our defence is a shambles, has been for ages. I would be surprised if Liverpool don't score at least 3 & West Ham something similar. 

50 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

That's just it though, totally different views. My view was Barnes was totally ineffective down that side and wasn't helping Thomas who was having a hard time against spence.

As for saying vestegaard should have played, bout spat my tea out when I read that. Amartey has been decent when he's played, he had a mare yesterday but I'd put majority of blame at our midfield, if anyone needs calling out its youri tielemens who was wearing the captains armband 

I think that's how desperate I am to find either a solution or something to blame hat I thought maybe Vestergaard as an actual CB might do a better job than Amartey. You're right he has been great when called on this season but it just shows how bad that £15m signing was that Rodgers doesn't trust him and would rather play a utility man in that position against a Championship team - but Davis bullied both or our CB's yesterday and it just makes the whole situation seem so desperate.

As for Barnes, you're right he didn't help Thomas out at all but that's kind of the whole point of Ndidi to cover across the pitch in front of his defenders. I thought Barnes got in some good positions in the first 15/20 minutes and offered a lot more than Lookman (in my opinion).

Tielemans has definitely checked out mentally now. Didn't really offer anything backwards or fowrds which was disappointing.

Is it a case of these players not wanting to play for Rodgers and his convoluted and confusing system?  If Pep Guardiola took over then I'm pretty sure there would be some significant changes in the way some of these "washed-up has-beens" would perform. If you don't buy in to the approach and methods of your manager, how can you play at a fully-committed level?  If you trust what your manager is telling you, you'll run through walls, otherwise you start to question if there's a better way.

2 minutes ago, Flappit said:

Is it a case of these players not wanting to play for Rodgers and his convoluted and confusing system?  If Pep Guardiola took over then I'm pretty sure there would be some significant changes in the way some of these "washed-up has-beens" would perform. If you don't buy in to the approach and methods of your manager, how can you play at a fully-committed level?  If you trust what your manager is telling you, you'll run through walls, otherwise you start to question if there's a better way.

Very true and I think there's some questioning going on now.

Barcelona weren't able to play champagne and oyster football with beer and chips players. 

Sounds harsh on our players but it's not meant to be because there aren't currently many Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Messi's around available together currently for a knock down price and Rodgers certainly isn't going to find them,  so he needs to stop pratting around with his egotistical self promoting philosophical nonsense.

It's about getting the best out of what players you've got with their particular skill sets at a particular moment in time. Under the right manager we've got some great talent in our squad waiting to be tapped into. This chump is so self absorbed he can't even see it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

I think that's how desperate I am to find either a solution or something to blame hat I thought maybe Vestergaard as an actual CB might do a better job than Amartey. You're right he has been great when called on this season but it just shows how bad that £15m signing was that Rodgers doesn't trust him and would rather play a utility man in that position against a Championship team - but Davis bullied both or our CB's yesterday and it just makes the whole situation seem so desperate.

As for Barnes, you're right he didn't help Thomas out at all but that's kind of the whole point of Ndidi to cover across the pitch in front of his defenders. I thought Barnes got in some good positions in the first 15/20 minutes and offered a lot more than Lookman (in my opinion).

Tielemans has definitely checked out mentally now. Didn't really offer anything backwards or fowrds which was disappointing.

What you have outlined is true yet it was entirely predictable. Ndidi and Tielemans in a 2 was never going to work, basic error, poor tactics. It was obvious as soon as you saw the teamsheet. So why couldn't our glorious leader see it? Had he watched Forest recently?

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

What you have outlined is true yet it was entirely predictable. Ndidi and Tielemans in a 2 was never going to work, basic error, poor tactics. It was obvious as soon as you saw the teamsheet. So why couldn't our glorious leader see it? Had he watched Forest recently?

Exactly what I said yesterday, it felt like we'd not done any homework on them or even at least watched the Arsenal game where they played with the same intensity and tempo.

Completely overran both of Ndidi and Tielemans and they looked like they'd score literally every time they came forward.

I've been Pro-Rodgers all season as I'd felt like he'd been unlucky with injuries and inconsistency of the players but yesterday it felt like he thought we'd turn up and just win by default, it felt like he was clueless. Also the patting on the back and clapping at the end of the game felt like he was on autopilot - he should have been fuming and straight to the changing rooms ready to give a boll**king but no.

I think it's a catch 22 situation at the moment for the club. We need to be thinking to the future and next season and the rebuild needed. 

If we sack Brendan (which we probably should) it will cost a fortune which will impact his replacements ability to rebuild the squad in the summer. 

If we stick with Brendan, he might want to drop certain players who aren't pulling their weight and are likely to be leaving soon, but dropping them could take their value down, also impacting the finances to rebuild the squad in the summer. 

If we sack him now, do we get an interim till the summer and then go for our top targets in the summer as most the managers we would want are unlikely to leave half way through a season. 

Big questions for the board to answer but ultimately the lack of finances is likely to impact our future development, regardless of who the manager is. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a manager who attempts to protect his own reputation more than Rodgers. The comments he makes are just ridiculous, it’s constantly “we do not have finances to compete” or “the players weren’t good enough.” It’s like he never looks at himself in the mirror and actually admit that it might be his fault. 

It really riles me. Whilst things aren’t great at the moment and haven’t been for a while, I’d have much more respect for him if he actually took some responsibility. Ultimately, his view of himself is an underlying reason as to why he will never become a ‘top class’ manager, he actually is so deluded.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

Brendan is Brendan’s number 1 fan. There is absolutely no issue with that IF you also have the ability to be self critical and adapt to circumstances. He appears capable of neither. 

Most other managers blaming the players would be fine, but I feel with Brendan he is using that as just another shield to hide behind. The team are disorganised, poorly motivated and devoid of spirit. The buck stops with Brendan. 

I see nothing that suggests to me he can pull us out of this tailspin. £26 million to get rid might be a bargain in the end. He is now a busted flush and the excuses must stop. 

Anyone saying we should get Dyche has clearly not watched Burnley very often. Dyche wouldn't know his arse from his elbow at a club like ours. A huge difference managing Burnley than managing Leicester. There is a reason why Dyche is still at Burnley and never gone to a bigger club. 

• Like 2

in our last 32 games, we've won 12, drawn 7 and lost 12 in all competitions....  which is a 37% (ish) win rate.....  Pule in 67 games had 23 wins, 18 draws and 26 loses.....

So he is roughly run rating at the Claude Puel level, but getting paid a kings ransom to play what is effectively the same style of football.

his style is outdated now. virtually all teams work hard, hustle, close down.

Apparently we don't. 

We risk getting left behind if we don't make a change soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

in our last 32 games, we've won 12, drawn 7 and lost 12 in all competitions....  which is a 37% (ish) win rate.....  Pule in 67 games had 23 wins, 18 draws and 26 loses.....

So he is roughly run rating at the Claude Puel level, but getting paid a kings ransom to play what is effectively the same style of football.

his style is outdated now. virtually all teams work hard, hustle, close down.

Apparently we don't. 

We risk getting left behind if we don't make a change soon. 

I knew it was bad, but when you put it like that we’re pants right now

2 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

It was the manner of yesterday's performance that exposed deep rooted issues more so than the result.  Brendan has lost it and strangely ever since we opened the training ground with all those fantastic facilities our form has deteriorated.

I was one of the folks invited to the Seagrave tour. 

The chap doing the tour, at the time, said that the club had arranged for the very best of everything in an effort not to pamper the players but to give them, and management, no place to hide. The bloke said the words, to be precise, 'no excuses'.

I think there is an element of this showing through in Brendan now. He's casting about for an excuse but, after 3 full years and this facility, it is beginning to ring hollow. Only a couple of months ago he was saying how defensive issues were really from the Puel tenure; unfortunately the fact he has use of those facilities gives him - in the words of the club's rep - 'no excuses'. He hasn't improved them and he's looking to shift blame from himself.

I know a manager has to deflect criticism and to protect the image of the club and player and, really, himself. The problem here is that Rodgers isn't shouldering any responsibility at all and I know the club have given him conditions by which success is expected. 

• Like 1

I genuinely think that, as long as we don't start to drop like a lead balloon in the league, the owners will give BR the summer to make some wholesale changes. I think they'll keep hold and judge him by where we are in October time. 

That being said, we've got some touch games coming up so he'll need to get a quick reaction - the games are going to come thick and fast now.