Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Whilst it is clear and we have gone off the boil, all the pop up stats seem to never mention the injury situation, its always framed from the negative, without any context. There is a serious point to be made here, but it is lost by never mentioning the injury situation, its like people are looking at final score only. I too am fearful he has blown it, actually run out of ideas, but beating him without acknowlodgement of context is bizarre.

As much as the injury situation has been a problem it wasn't yesterday. Arguably our worst performance of the season and we had a bench that consisted of Ricardo, kdh, our £15m cb signing and Daka, in all 9 first team squad players on the bench. It was abysmal and you can't use injuries to defend yesterday's performance or the criminal lack of intensity and set piece 'defending' that has been an issue for a while now, compounded by injuries definitely but an influx of first team players came back yesterday and we were worse than ever. It's a desperate state of affairs and buck has to stop with Rodgers. Playing sideways balls along the back with cbs who seem to struggle to kick a ball adequetly when you're 3 1 down with half an hour to go. It's rage inducing. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It's nice to have someone FiNALLY see those 5th place finishes for what they were rather than just a 'you're leicester you should be happy about it'

Ah, 'what they were'. Which as always is really 'what I want them to be', which in this case seems to be a stick to beat Rodgers with in terms of the end of the season, and absolutely no carrot cake whatsoever for the two thirds of the season where he got us into a position where results at the end of the season mattered one way or another.

Whether it had happened because we were a) average for most of the season and amazing at the end b) really good all the way through c) or very good most of the way thru and shocking at the end, ending up with a situation where LCFC being 5th in the PL two seasons running is put forward as a cast-iron reason for sacking Rodgers is on-going, low-level tantrum stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

The kind of guy that consistently says clubs aren't 'allowed' to be in the top six because they arent part of the traditional "big six"

The guy is a bellend tbh, he tried to champion himself as some sort of speaker of the people on youtube about the super league proposal after spending the season before telling everybody clubs like us didn't deserve to be in the top six because we wernt "big" enough

Haha that's not my kind of guy. My entire opinion on him is based on that 2 minute clip, don't ruin this for me :D

2 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

As much as the injury situation has been a problem it wasn't yesterday. Arguably our worst performance of the season and we had a bench that consisted of Ricardo, kdh, our £15m cb signing and Daka, in all 9 first team squad players on the bench. It was abysmal and you can't use injuries to defend yesterday's performance or the criminal lack of intensity and set piece 'defending' that has been an issue for a while now, compounded by injuries definitely but an influx of first team players came back yesterday and we were worse than ever. It's a desperate state of affairs and buck has to stop with Rodgers. Playing sideways balls along the back with cbs who seem to struggle to kick a ball adequetly when you're 3 1 down with half an hour to go. It's rage inducing. 

Quite agree, but I do not think the slating is focused on just yesterday, even if the anger is focus on that shocker of a performance.

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

Ah, 'what they were'. Which as always is really 'what I want them to be', which in this case seems to be a stick to beat Rodgers with in terms of the end of the season, and absolutely no carrot cake whatsoever for the two thirds of the season where he got us into a position where results at the end of the season mattered one way or another.

Whether it had happened because we were a) average for most of the season and amazing at the end b) really good all the way through c) or very good most of the way thru and shocking at the end, ending up with a situation where LCFC being 5th in the PL two seasons running is put forward as a cast-iron reason for sacking Rodgers is on-going, low-level tantrum stuff.

2 bottle jobs though throwing away huge advantages, it just breeds a losing and weak mentality that seems to be getting progressively worse. 

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

2 bottle jobs though throwing away huge advantages, it just breeds a losing and weak mentality that seems to be getting progressively worse. 

In between we've won a major cup final, the semi final to get there, and a Community Shield final.

13 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

I'm not saying sack him for those seasons. But they weren't a success in reality. The only reason people push the narrative that they were is because we're told they were by the media. 

No matter how you dress it up. To have finished 5th the first time round was dreadful from the position we were in. 

I am however saying sack him because since before Christmas 2020 we've been shocking on the whole. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Frankly, I'd like to see Rogers reshape the starting 11 a bit, and then stick with it for a few games - if only to send the message to some of the players, who he suggest are coasting, that starting isn't inevitable. Bring in a few players we currently think of as on the fringes - Hamza (who is the textbook definition of a player who needs to find his form: 50% of the time he's a ruthless tackling machine with a great eye for a pass, and 50% of the time he's all over the place, usually in the same game), Papy Mendy after Afcon, even possibly Perez. Tell them that this is their chance to get into the starting 11 on a more permanent basis, that he's going to commit to them, and see what they can do. 

I know if he did it and we lost a few games, the boards would be full of people complaining that he doesn't know his best team, but change is needed. 

4 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm not saying sack him for those seasons. But they weren't a success in reality. The only reason people push the narrative that they were is because we're told they were by the media. 

No matter how you dress it up. To have finished 5th the first time round was dreadful from the position we were in

I am however saying sack him because since before Christmas 2020 we've been shocking on the whole. 

It was, and I'm not dressing it up. Again, I'm pointing out the only direction of travel here is given him pelters for this bit, and no plaudits for the (longer, actually) bit before it.

If the second half of this season was to pan out like the first, and West Ham finished 5th after being very solid with no major dips nor massive runs all the way through, that surely goes down as a successful season.

I understand why the different story arc matters, but not why it matters so much that us finishing 5th twice is not a success, but West Ham doing it once would be.

BTW - none of this is to say I want him to stay (or not). On that I'm finding myself humming a well know Doris Day tune tbh

7 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

It was, and I'm not dressing it up. Again, I'm pointing out the only direction of travel here is given him pelters for this bit, and no plaudits for the (longer, actually) bit before it.

If the second half of this season was to pan out like the first, and West Ham finished 5th after being very solid with no major dips nor massive runs all the way through, that surely goes down as a successful season.

I understand why the different story arc matters, but not why it matters so much that us finishing 5th twice is not a success, but West Ham doing it once would be.

BTW - none of this is to say I want him to stay (or not). On that I'm finding myself humming a well know Doris Day tune tbh

I'd say our situation to west hams was rather different, the first time round we were playing Liverpool just before the turn of the year in second. We had such a gap between ourselves and fourth at one point we weren't even considered to be in the race. We were to finish third and fourth was between Chelsea and Man utd. Then we end up fifth some how. 

West ham have been around the area all season but haven't pulled away. I also think alot more was expected of our team (and manager) than what's expected of Moyes and this West ham side (rightly or wrongly). Because ultimately individually had we not been in this rot for so long, most if not all would say man for man our players are better than West ham. They however at the moment are performing brilliantly as a team. But then that's thanks to the manager. 

Just now, ARTY_FOX said:

I'd say our situation to west hams was rather different, the first time round we were playing Liverpool just before the turn of the year in second. We had such a gap between ourselves and fourth at one point we weren't even considered to be in the race. We were to finish third and fourth was between Chelsea and Man utd. Then we end up fifth some how. 

West ham have been around the area all season but haven't pulled away. I also think alot more was expected of our team (and manager) than what's expected of Moyes and this West ham side (rightly or wrongly). Because ultimately individually had we not been in this rot for so long, most if not all would say man for man our players are better than West ham. They however at the moment are performing brilliantly as a team. But then that's thanks to the manager. 

****ing hell mate, that was the point.

2 hours ago, Nobbyburton said:

This guy has definitely got it in for Rodgers, but I can't argue with this.

I've been a big fan of Rodgers for the majority of the time he's been here, I think when he got us going we were seriously good and a joy to watch. But the longer this goes on the more I can't quite believe the way we fall to pieces time and time again. He has created an absolutely elite level of bottle-job mentality in this team, it really is insane when you put them all together - especially if you also consider how his Liverpool team fell to pieces. 

1. Losing a 14 point lead to finish 5th with 14 games to go. 
2. Basically the same exact thing happening again the season after, with even more opportunities to get it done.
3. Get beaten multiple times by teams that couldn’t buy a win in those seasons (Fulham home, Norwich away, Bournemouth away, Newcastle home stand out to me)
4. Losing league cup semi to Aston Villa in the last minute
5. Throwing away 3-1 lead to get knocked out league cup quarter final against Liverpool’s 3rd team. 

6. Horrific level of performances in a really bad Europa League group this season. 
7. Losing a game we were winning 2-1 at 95 mins at home. Still can't believe that actually happened. 
8. Getting absolutely humiliated by our local rivals, in the first game we've played against them in 8 years. 

They are just the big moments, you can also add plenty of performances like our last 2 trips to West Ham in to that level of 'can't quite believe what I'm watching here' standards. 

That Bournemouth game, I remember seeing the first 15 minutes and thinking there’s no way, absolutely impossible we lose this game, they were the worst looking side I’d ever seen play with a premier league badge on their arm, and what happens….

46 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Why do certain fans assume we wouldn't improve if Rodgers were to leave? Rodgers hasn't put the majority of this squad together and as we have seen, the longer he's been manager here, the less effective he's become. He's exceptional at taking a squad and improving them without major surgery to personnel.

This squad when he got hold of us, we harboured ambitions of being a top 6-8 club but not many of us were aware we were good enough to seriously challenge and yet immediately he got us averaging around 1.8 - 2 points a game and did that from March 2019 to the end of December 2019. Then came the 1st slump as we stumbled and staggered battered and bruised from a 13 point lead of 5th to finishing 5th having averaged less than 1.3 points a game for the latter part of the season.

Roll on to 2020/21 and we started brilliantly again, averaging 1.9 points a game for the first half of the season, this dropped ever so slightly until we hit the 2nd and what I'd class as rhe continued slump from February 202q. We again threw away a significant lead on 5th to finish 5th, averaging 1.3 points for the final third of the season.

This season has been an extension of that, its a year long rut. How long does it become the new normal and these players are assumed to be playing to their expected level? Well I'm not prepared to find out. This group of players by and large have proven that they are capable of winning a lot of football matches. They need a new lease of life, sadly our current manager can't inflict that now for the best part of the year so why replace all of the players when we can replace the manager and see if that makes a difference? Given we accept a rebuild is coming and that the current manager has a very iffy record being tasked with such a project that I'd rather we means test just how large the rebuild needs to be by first seeing what a new manager can do with this squad and rhen let them rebuild us. My next manager would be one who gets results quick but also has a track record for being part of a regime that recruits well.

On that last point at the very least the club simply has to take back more control on the recruitment, get rid of Rodgers men and it be seperate to the manager regime but one that they have input in to but ultimately not the final decision. 

Fans complaining about recruitment now.  Jesus.  Daka not good enough for you? James Justin, Wesley Fofana, these guys not cutting the mustard for you? MY NEXT manager would be one who wins everything and recruits well and plays exciting football. And is cheap.  

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Why do certain fans assume we wouldn't improve if Rodgers were to leave? Rodgers hasn't put the majority of this squad together and as we have seen, the longer he's been manager here, the less effective he's become. He's exceptional at taking a squad and improving them without major surgery to personnel.

This squad when he got hold of us, we harboured ambitions of being a top 6-8 club but not many of us were aware we were good enough to seriously challenge and yet immediately he got us averaging around 1.8 - 2 points a game and did that from March 2019 to the end of December 2019. Then came the 1st slump as we stumbled and staggered battered and bruised from a 13 point lead of 5th to finishing 5th having averaged less than 1.3 points a game for the latter part of the season.

Roll on to 2020/21 and we started brilliantly again, averaging 1.9 points a game for the first half of the season, this dropped ever so slightly until we hit the 2nd and what I'd class as rhe continued slump from February 202q. We again threw away a significant lead on 5th to finish 5th, averaging 1.3 points for the final third of the season.

This season has been an extension of that, its a year long rut. How long does it become the new normal and these players are assumed to be playing to their expected level? Well I'm not prepared to find out. This group of players by and large have proven that they are capable of winning a lot of football matches. They need a new lease of life, sadly our current manager can't inflict that now for the best part of the year so why replace all of the players when we can replace the manager and see if that makes a difference? Given we accept a rebuild is coming and that the current manager has a very iffy record being tasked with such a project that I'd rather we means test just how large the rebuild needs to be by first seeing what a new manager can do with this squad and rhen let them rebuild us. My next manager would be one who gets results quick but also has a track record for being part of a regime that recruits well.

On that last point at the very least the club simply has to take back more control on the recruitment, get rid of Rodgers men and it be seperate to the manager regime but one that they have input in to but ultimately not the final decision. 

You know this has an opposing question, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You know this has an opposing question, right?

The opposing question being;

Do you think Brendan Rodgers gets more out of his squad than anyone else is likely to??

Do you??

I don't and can't believe he's being defended anymore.

• Like 1

Just now, 5waller5 said:

The opposing question being;

Do you think Brendan Rodgers gets more out of his squad than anyone else is likely to??

Do you??

I don't and can't believe he's being defended anymore.

I am not defending him either, but nor will I froth at the mouth and demand his instant dismissal based on the fact it would be sensible to make a change in the Summer if a change is still proven to be warranted.