Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

5 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Based on the quality of manager:

O Neil

Rodgers

Pearson

Ranieri

Based on what they achieved with the resources we had at their disposal:

O Neil

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

Ranieri and Rodgers will always have won us our 2 best bits of silverware but never underestimate what O Neil and Pearson did for us with much inferior situations.

I think Rodgers is a better quality manager than O'Neill ever was to be honest, and that's no disrespect to Martin. It's testament to how good of a manager and coach Rodgers is. 

I'd also put Ranieri at the top if we're judging based on the resources that they had. Again, no disrespect to O'Neill, but we won the toughest league in world football that year.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Based on the quality of manager:

O Neil

Rodgers

Pearson

Ranieri

Based on what they achieved with the resources we had at their disposal:

O Neil

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

Ranieri and Rodgers will always have won us our 2 best bits of silverware but never underestimate what O Neil and Pearson did for us with much inferior situations.

How did Gillies drop out your list mate ? 

32 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I think Rodgers is a better quality manager than O'Neill ever was to be honest, and that's no disrespect to Martin. It's testament to how good of a manager and coach Rodgers is. 

I'd also put Ranieri at the top if we're judging based on the resources that they had. Again, no disrespect to O'Neill, but we won the toughest league in world football that year.

I think with what O’Neil did with the squad we had, was punching further above their weight than this current team is now. Sounds mad but this squad we have now really is close to elite class(some would be the best few in the world in their positions).

Other than Izzet and maybe Lennon, we really had a bunch of hard working, yet limited players. What O’Neil did was really incredible.

Ranieri I love him for what he did, but we had absolute raw prime Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. All of have gone on to become world wide greats. Again no disrespect to our squads of 1996-2000 but Martin really didn’t have anywhere near the talent. Ranieri also struggled hard before and since. Again no disrespect to Ranieri but O’Neil did a better job with what he had to work with.

17 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

How did Gillies drop out your list mate ? 

Too early for me to appreciate what he did as I didn’t see anything. However to stay in the top flight, get to 3 FA Cup finals and nearly win the league with ‘the Ice Kings’ has to be given huge credit. Pre 90s he was by far the stand out side of our relatively moderate history so of course he did a great job.

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I think with what O’Neil did with the squad we had, was punching further above their weight than this current team is now. Sounds mad but this squad we have now really is close to elite class(some would be the best few in the world in their positions).

Other than Izzet and maybe Lennon, we really had a bunch of hard working, yet limited players. What O’Neil did was really incredible.

Ranieri I love him for what he did, but we had absolute raw prime Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. All of have gone on to become world wide greats. Again no disrespect to our squads of 1996-2000 but Martin really didn’t have anywhere near the talent. Ranieri also struggled hard before and since. Again no disrespect to Ranieri but O’Neil did a better job with what he had to work with.

I completely get why you would think that highly of O'Neill, his era brought me my earliest memories as a Leicester *fan. It was a brilliant time, but we have far surpassed that in the current era. This *is our golden age, and we're all so lucky to be living it. But...

The squad we have now is as good as it is because of Rodgers' coaching. I also think Heskey, Guppy, Elliott & Flowers (at least) deserve a mention amongst those you mentioned as well, we had better players than you give credit for during O'Neill's time as manager.

The three players you mentioned in the second paragraph made their names that season, before then nobody really thought they were world class did they? We also won the PREMIER LEAGUE, not the league cup. It's not even comparable when you consider the team we had AT THE TIME. Obviously some of them have gone on to have great careers in the aftermath of it.

So in summary, I obviously disagree, but that is what Foxestalk is all about.

Edited by 4everfox
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I mean no ill towards anyone, and I loved Martin O'Neill, but I'm not sure how it is possible to have a rounded opinion on him if born in 1989. 

Why not? 

5 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I completely get why you would think that highly of O'Neill, his era brought me my earliest memories as a Leicester. It was a brilliant time, but we have far surpassed that in the current era. This our golden age, and we're all so lucky to be living it. But...

The squad we have now is as good as it is because of Rodgers' coaching. I also think Heskey, Guppy, Elliott & Flowers (at least) deserve a mention amongst those you mentioned as well, we had better players than you give credit for during O'Neill's time as manager.

The three players you mentioned in the second paragraph made their names that season, before then nobody really thought they were world class did they? We also won the PREMIER LEAGUE, not the league cup. It's not even comparable when you consider the team we had AT THE TIME. Obviously some of them have gone on to have great careers in the aftermath of it.

Yep, I agree to the O’Neil side you have to add Elliott, Heskey, Guppy, Parker (who’s passing was excellent) and Flowers. Surprised Elliot is not classed higher then a limited player when you watch him. Excellent ball playing defender before it became fashionable. Remember Liverpool being very interested. Lack a bit of pace. Eadie would also get a mention but injuries hindered him. 

55 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's likely to be based upon received wisdom. It's the reason I don't ever offer an opinion on any manager pre Pleat. 

Why is it? I could describe 93/94 onwards (when I was 6/7) all very in depth. 

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

We'll have to agree to differ then Bert :) 

That’s fine. Just relating to personal experiences because that’s as far back as I can remember, well Swindon playoffs is my first actual football memory. 

1 minute ago, Bert said:

That’s fine. Just relating to personal experiences because that’s as far back as I can remember, well Swindon playoffs is my first actual football memory. 

Oh me too, back to about 1984 I guess, but I know how unreliable my memory and my knowledge is from that time.

Overall though, I'm not keen on these comparisons, because it's really impossible due to the time lapsed inbetween. Just as judging Lineker by today's standards is rather unfair - who is to say he wouldn't have been every bit as good with modern advances etc.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Oh me too, back to about 1984 I guess, but I know how unreliable my memory and my knowledge is from that time.

I’ve got a tiny space of brain that stores everything lol 

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sure it’s been mentioned, but in amongst the endless threads and inconvenient work, haven’t seen it.

LOVED the shoutout to Andy King and Callum Elder after the match. Family is family.  :wub:

I think the club are going to acknowledge these players and their contributions going forward. We have legends, icons, cult heroes in the current and recent squads, let's appreciate them fully.

• Like 1

Guest SO1
3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's likely to be based upon received wisdom. It's the reason I don't ever offer an opinion on any manager pre Pleat. 

You mean anecdotal knowledge.:wave: Might as well shut the forum down if we can't base our opinions on bullshit. Because bullshit is all that most of us have.:beer:

9 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I mean no ill towards anyone, and I loved Martin O'Neill, but I'm not sure how it is possible to have a rounded opinion on him if born in 1989. 

You have a point as I wasn’t following every game until 02/03(my first season I went and knew what was going on 100% of the time).

However between the seasons 97/98 - 99/00 Is what hugely got me into football.

I always look fondly back to the 97/98 season in particular. Was always a Leicester fan but as a kid you see the big boys and the title race that year was exciting Arsenal and Man Utd. Overmars winning it at old Trafford etc. Our 1-0 at Old Trafford, the 3-3 with Arsenal and the 4-0 at Derby were all some of my first memories of Leicester.

I do agree though that I havnt got as much in depth knowledge as since 02/03 onwards, but at the same time, enough to give a good enough opinion added with looking back and statistical analysis AND seeing his reigns at Celtic and Aston Villa to know that O Neil was a very good manager and more importantly a longevity of 4 strong seasons with us and 2 major trophies. If anything being young at the time made me under appreciate how hard it is to win a trophy for a club our size.

8 hours ago, 4everfox said:

I completely get why you would think that highly of O'Neill, his era brought me my earliest memories as a Leicester *fan. It was a brilliant time, but we have far surpassed that in the current era. This *is our golden age, and we're all so lucky to be living it. But...

Of course we’ve surpassed it but that wasn’t the argument, it was the managers.

We’ve surpassed it because we have billionaire owners and top class players who could get in any team in the world. Back then, despite how good some of our players were, you never had Arsenal or Man Utd knocking at the door.

I loved Heskey and Elliot but Heskey wasn’t as good as Vardy and Elliot was too slow and probably got the very best of his ability being at a mid range club. Flowers was in the twilight of his career and Guppy was decent but nothing more I feel.

To the other paragraph, yes they all became world greats AFTER that year, but again that was in reply to your initial post that Ranieri has to be too based on resources which is clearly not true.

He had unreal resources but hadn’t been recognised yet but have proven to be regardless of Ranieri. Listen I love Ranieri for what happened, but not a chance did he have less resources than ONeil.

As someone else said, I hate comparing eras because things change so much , however I think it’s fair to say the squad we have now is better(relative to the era) than the team of 96-2000.

6 hours ago, King of Gipsy Lane said:

MON is Top for me 

Rodgers a close 2nd 

claudio comes 4th only cos Pearson did amazing in both stints here 

rodgers will surpass MON if he can keep us in top 6 for next few years 

Spot on and how I see it. Rodgers stays for 1/2 more seasons and achieves top 4 then he’ll go down as the best. Needs a top 4 at least once I’d say but adding an FA Cup has given him some credit in the bank and a place in our history.

3 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You have a point as I wasn’t following every game until 02/03(my first season I went and knew what was going on 100% of the time).

However between the seasons 97/98 - 99/00 Is what hugely got me into football.

I always look fondly back to the 97/98 season in particular. Was always a Leicester fan but as a kid you see the big boys and the title race that year was exciting Arsenal and Man Utd. Overmars winning it at old Trafford etc. Our 1-0 at Old Trafford, the 3-3 with Arsenal and the 4-0 at Derby were all some of my first memories of Leicester.

I do agree though that I havnt got as much in depth knowledge as since 02/03 onwards, but at the same time, enough to give a good enough opinion added with looking back and statistical analysis AND seeing his reigns at Celtic and Aston Villa to know that O Neil was a very good manager and more importantly a longevity of 4 strong seasons with us and 2 major trophies. If anything being young at the time made me under appreciate how hard it is to win a trophy for a club our size.

Of course we’ve surpassed it but that wasn’t the argument, it was the managers.

We’ve surpassed it because we have billionaire owners and top class players who could get in any team in the world. Back then, despite how good some of our players were, you never had Arsenal or Man Utd knocking at the door.

I loved Heskey and Elliot but Heskey wasn’t as good as Vardy and Elliot was too slow and probably got the very best of his ability being at a mid range club. Flowers was in the twilight of his career and Guppy was decent but nothing more I feel.

To the other paragraph, yes they all became world greats AFTER that year, but again that was in reply to your initial post that Ranieri has to be too based on resources which is clearly not true.

He had unreal resources but hadn’t been recognised yet but have proven to be regardless of Ranieri. Listen I love Ranieri for what happened, but not a chance did he have less resources than ONeil.

As someone else said, I hate comparing eras because things change so much , however I think it’s fair to say the squad we have now is better(relative to the era) than the team of 96-2000.

Spot on and how I see it. Rodgers stays for 1/2 more seasons and achieves top 4 then he’ll go down as the best. Needs a top 4 at least once I’d say but adding an FA Cup has given him some credit in the bank and a place in our history.

I think you make a lot of good points, well said.

Rodgers is a far better manager and coach than O'Neill ever I was. I loved O"Neil, he plucked players from Crewe and Oxford and Port Vale, and turned them into top 10 Premier League players and cup winners. So full respect to Martin. But Rodgers is on another level. Also, the football is far more aesthetically pleasing now. I can't imagine Rodgers putting Soyuncu up front as a striker when we need a goal.

• Like 1

Rodgers has done extremely well of that there can be no doubt now but I would still have MON and Pearson just slightly ahead of him.

O'Neill brought a toughness to the club that we lacked in our first season back. Once we got going under him we never looked back. His reputation has taken a battering since Villa but he did very well on a limited budget with us. He was a hard act to follow.

Pearson lifted us up off the floor after the 00s horror show. Went very close to back to back promotions. 2010 would have been fair impressive given what we were working with Pre-Vichai. I mean this was the regime that led to Vardy, Mahrez, Kante and Kasper speaks very highly of him. His impact cannot be underestimated.

Rodgers inherited a very astute club in 2019. The latter 2 had a harder task.

It's great to be having this debate though.

• Thanks 1

We live in an era where everything and everyone has to be compared and 'would you take this scenario over that scenario' etc.

Little

MON

Adams

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

They've all had to deal with big challenges and all deserve huge credit in their own ways over the past 30 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers is a far better manager and coach than O'Neill ever I was. I loved O"Neil, he plucked players from Crewe and Oxford and Port Vale, and turned them into top 10 Premier League players and cup winners. So full respect to Martin. But Rodgers is on another level. Also, the football is far more aesthetically pleasing now. I can't imagine Rodgers putting Soyuncu up front as a striker when we need a goal.

But he should when we need a goal especially the last ten minutes. What's to lose.

We'd be virtually home and dried if Klopp stopped Alisson from going forward for the Corner.

Getting results is what it's all about. The how doesn't matter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We live in an era where everything and everyone has to be compared and 'would you take this scenario over that scenario' etc.

Little

MON

Adams

Pearson

Ranieri

Rodgers

They've all had to deal with big challenges and all deserve huge credit in their own ways over the past 30 years.

Great shout on Little. He was my first manager as a Leicester fan so I thought what he did was basically what we should be doing. 

When you consider the season we went up. Forest (who finished 2nd) were effectively a Premier League squad made even stronger by adding Collymore. Derby were benefiting from early 90s sugar daddy and should’ve done a lot better and Palace, like Forest had a lot of Premier league talent (Solako, Armstrong, Shaw, Martyn etc. All stayed up), he did a fantastic job. 

Different era, different aims but a very good job for us.