Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Another similar example to us in that he was trying a rebuild and they were getting worse and worse.

True

We’re basically in the Raneiri post Millwall/Puel post Newport dead zone for Rodgers now anyway.

It’s pretty much inevitable he’ll be gone at some point

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I'm not happy with Barnes defensive side of the game. I get it that some attacking players aren't that good defensively but it's a desire rather than a lack of ability that annoys me with some players. 

It's more obvious now since Ndidi's role changed and he's not mopping up like he used to, and thats Rodgers who's changed that. I thought from very early on he wasn't sure of Ndidi and he wanted a Jorginho type player in that position who can receive the ball better (hence Tielemans playing deeper now) but that has meant Ndidi's role also changed and not for any benefit of the team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Right, can someone offer some comfort here. Can we compile a portfolio of examples of when managers have turned around massive slumps after being at a club a while? It will have happened much more many years ago when managers got a chance but have we got some we can draw strength on that Rodgers could turn it around because otherwise anyone sticking up for him is absolutely pointless. 

Klopp did it last season, but can't think of many others.

Sadly my memory is filled with managers who failed to arrest slumps:

Mourinho's got 2 horrid stints at Chelsea and 1 at Man Utd where he couldn't turn it around.

Rodgers a failure against his name at Liverpool where they bombed after 2013/14.

Lampard at Chelsea, could that be classed as being given enough time to prove he failed to turn it around?

Martinez at Everton was absolute pony after a few decent years, probably on a par to our current predicament.

Problem is Ric, the players need to be up for it…. I don’t think Klopp ever lost his dressing room, he kept them just about afloat and then after the defeat to us they were unbeatable….

Klopps got more of a authoritative manner about him, but I don’t think loses the dressing room in the process, whereas I imagine Rodgers comes across as annoying and probably loses his players a bit easier. His criticisms seem a bit wish-wash, whereas I imagine a bollocking from Klopp would stick. 

It takes a certain type of character to turn this around, and I’m just not confident Rodgers has it in him to turn it around. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Doubt he is short on money, so do not think that 10m would keep him here if he did not want to be here

...it really depends on his options out there!!!

If you take a look at the next step for him and it would have been a historically top 6 club in the Premier League. Apart from a potential fall from grace by Arteta, those avenue are closed to him. He will have to go abroad and his ability to compete in European games, is not a stellar recommendation for a big club to take him on.

Staying here is perhaps his best, if not only option.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I'm not happy with Barnes defensive side of the game. I get it that some attacking players aren't that good defensively but it's a desire rather than a lack of ability that annoys me with some players. 

The thing that annoys me with Barnes is he isn't some skinny little winger. 

He has the build, power and size to be decent defensively 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Problem is Ric, the players need to be up for it…. I don’t think Klopp ever lost his dressing room, he kept them just about afloat and then after the defeat to us they were unbeatable….

Klopps got more of a authoritative manner about him, but I don’t think loses the dressing room in the process, whereas I imagine Rodgers comes across as annoying and probably loses his players a bit easier. His criticisms seem a bit wish-wash, whereas I imagine a bollocking from Klopp would stick. 

It takes a certain type of character to turn this around, and I’m just not confident Rodgers has it in him to turn it around. 

Always easier when you have world class players, means you rarely lose 2 on the bounce 

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is huge conjecture on my part but given @Chocolate Teapot has alluded to Rodgers insinuating Barnes isn't doing what he should do at times, I wonder if there's an issue there. Barnes may well hold it against Rodgers for continuing to play him when carrying a concerning knee issue in Jan and Feb that ended his season, a chance to play in the FA Cup final and a near certain spot in the Euro 2020 preliminary squad with England.

Something seems a miss, if Rodgers does go soon and Barnes immediately gets his confidence and momentum back then I'm the next Uri Geller.

Well if he is he'd be completely correct. 

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think you’re over thinking it ric ……

I do believe that rodgers doesn’t think Barnes doesn’t get back and cover effectively

yesterday, the cross for the first goal comes in from the right - cags has been drawn out to help Thomas and our defensive shape is stretched as a consequence - I assume that rodgers believes Barnes should be doing that.  There are other more tactical issues like closing down passing lanes which he may also be getting wrong. 

Just to check, when you say “help”, you mean wander into no man’s land, not applying any pressure on the ball and thus providing any support whilst leaving a gaping 30 yard gap with his CB partner and thus room for a tap in … 

Cags is an absolute car crash of a defender who positionally appears to be beyond coaching! He’s shockingly bad!!! 

A9CD9EAA-8F96-4AE2-9E16-1CFEDE36495B.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's more obvious now since Ndidi's role changed and he's not mopping up like he used to, and thats Rodgers who's changed that. I thought from very early on he wasn't sure of Ndidi and he wanted a Jorginho type player in that position who can receive the ball better (hence Tielemans playing deeper now) but that has meant Ndidi's role also changed and not for any benefit of the team.

Perhaps Brendan feels that wilf is having to put out too many fires because others aren’t carrying their weight ?  And that means he’s out of position too. 

Just now, Corky said:

I'm definitely in the mind that he's going for the players to save his brand more than anything. As has been said, he's had ample chances to go for them after similar shocking performances and results but this time there was no hiding place or real excuse.

We've got to hope the players get a kick up the arse and want to prove him wrong. Otherwise, it could become grim in the next few weeks.

I’m with you - BR is smart enough to know things are only going one way, and smart enough to know whether he’s getting what he believes is the right thing from his players. So massively brand protection in the event he goes, and if he doesn’t he has set his requirements for the summer out early. 

I personally think this is a dangerous game and could create uncertainty and distrust. Has an air of the envelope routine. 

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

I'm definitely in the mind that he's going for the players to save his brand more than anything. As has been said, he's had ample chances to go for them after similar shocking performances and results but this time there was no hiding place or real excuse.

We've got to hope the players get a kick up the arse and want to prove him wrong. Otherwise, it could become grim in the next few weeks.

We will find out. Either the players respond, in an attempt to prove him wrong or they down tools. I don't blame him rolling the dice. If he protects them and they let him down then the pressure will mount, whereas if he digs them out in public it forces their hand. They will either respond positively or throw him under the bus. 

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Right, can someone offer some comfort here. Can we compile a portfolio of examples of when managers have turned around massive slumps after being at a club a while? It will have happened much more many years ago when managers got a chance but have we got some we can draw strength on that Rodgers could turn it around because otherwise anyone sticking up for him is absolutely pointless. 

Klopp did it last season, but can't think of many others.

Sadly my memory is filled with managers who failed to arrest slumps:

Mourinho's got 2 horrid stints at Chelsea and 1 at Man Utd where he couldn't turn it around.

Rodgers a failure against his name at Liverpool where they bombed after 2013/14.

Lampard at Chelsea, could that be classed as being given enough time to prove he failed to turn it around?

Martinez at Everton was absolute pony after a few decent years, probably on a par to our current predicament.

What about Moyes at West Ham, it doesn’t feel like it’s always been a bed of roses for him although can’t remember if his 2nd stint actually has been!

can’t think of many more in recent times like you say.

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The thing that annoys me with Barnes is he isn't some skinny little winger. 

He has the build, power and size to be decent defensively 

...why are we focusing on his defensive failings!!!

With a team who plays a high line and a back four with pace, we can afford to have him as an outlet up the pitch. A 4-3-3 can still give the left back cover, if we are condensing the pitch any defensive duties would not be onerous for him, just cutting out passing lanes is all we need to ask. We do not feed him enough, he starts off well, gets the better of his defender and then we stop giving him the ball. It happens over and over, teams will have to adjust or double up against him, meaning that the Right Wing will have more advantage to hurt them or they choose not to double up on Barnes.

1 minute ago, roblcfc84 said:

I’m with you - BR is smart enough to know things are only going one way, and smart enough to know whether he’s getting what he believes is the right thing from his players. So massively brand protection in the event he goes, and if he doesn’t he has set his requirements for the summer out early. 

I personally think this is a dangerous game and could create uncertainty and distrust. Has an air of the envelope routine. 

He plays the PR game perfectly. Lose 3-0 and offer nothing- the fans booing is the problem. Lose 4-1 in a big cup match- the players don't want it.

We've heard throughout his time that man management is one of his biggest assets, possibly the biggest. Going for the players in public is a massive risk whether he's got fair points or not.

As well as the rough run we’ve had with injuries, surprised not more has been said about the relative lack of experience in the team. 

While we haven’t got that much experience until Evans, Vardy and Castagne return, Albrighton needs to play a more prominent role moving forward. We’re crying out for leadership so Rodgers needs to play those players that have that determination, even if it’s at the expense of more skilful players. 

Barnes and Rodgers don't get on; that, I thought, was pretty much common knowledge.

Insert some virtue signalling nonsense here to ensure non deletion. 

Ooooh climate change. I'm very worried about that. We should all go and smash some glass or glue ourselves to something.

16 minutes ago, Corky said:

...what if it is in the players better interest to leave him out to dry!!!

Why put in a performance if you can see that he is under pressure and no manager can focus while under so much scrutiny.

Edited by sacreblueits442

53 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I agree with most of what you’re saying here, however I’m not sure he’s lost the whole dressing room.

I think he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place somewhat, it appears players like Soyuncu and Tielemans in particular have decided they are bigger than the club and want out and both will be off early in the summer.

The problem lies then with the injuries to Evans and Fofana meaning it is almost impossible to drop Soyuncu as it leaves a CB partnership of Vestergaard and Amartey. 
As for Tielemans, you know if you drop him, everyone knows he wants out and with his contract running down, we lose millions in a potential transfer fee. 
I believe this is one of the reasons Tielemans was made captain on the weekend - an extra few million for buying our captain.
The Tielemans money I believe is what we are relying on to fund 2 or 3 players coming in. 
On the pitch, can we afford to be going in with 2 players every week who are not fully committed? But can we afford to drop them? It’s a 
tough situation, made worse by not having Evans and Vardy leading on the pitch.

Surely some sort of middle ground can be found? drop them both against Liverpool bring in KDH and Brunt, if we lose the game we probably would of done anyway, if we win continue with them for a little. Yes we lose transfer value if they don't play at all, but with a minimum of 20 games left, it doesn't have to be they play every game or none of them, theres a middle ground surely?

16 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it really depends on his options out there!!!

If you take a look at the next step for him and it would have been a historically top 6 club in the Premier League. Apart from a potential fall from grace by Arteta, those avenue are closed to him. He will have to go abroad and his ability to compete in European games, is not a stellar recommendation for a big club to take him on.

Staying here is perhaps his best, if not only option.

The most likely fit for him now would be the likes of Leeds or Newcastle. Possibly still Arsenal if Arteta was sacked. Might have been Everton if they’d nor recently appointed. Anyway, that size of club, not any other so called ‘big six’ club.

2 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Surely some sort of middle ground can be found? drop them both against Liverpool bring in KDH and Brunt, if we lose the game we probably would of done anyway, if we win continue with them for a little. Yes we lose transfer value if they don't play at all, but with a minimum of 20 games left, it doesn't have to be they play every game or none of them, theres a middle ground surely?

N’didi and Amartey at the back worked. Cags has to be dropped. He’s a ****ing disaster. You know what, I’d even take Vesty and Amartey over them. 

• Like 2

Taking the FA Cup into the changing room before the game seems a bit David Brent does it not?

That would have had no motivating factor for me if I was in the changing room, actually the opposite as I'd find it patronising.

But then I got thinking...

Did he know morale and focus was so low it was a last ditch effort to pull the players around?

Or 

Was it my original theory he dreamed about going on national telly post match to tell the nation how he inspired the players before a derby win?

Either way it didn't work.

• Like 1