Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Taking the FA Cup into the changing room before the game seems a bit David Brent does it not?

That would have had no motivating factor for me if I was in the changing room, actually the opposite as I'd find it patronising.

But then I got thinking...

Did he know morale and focus was so low it was a last ditch effort to pull the players around?

Or 

Was it my original theory he dreamed about going on national telly post match to tell the nation how he inspired the players before a derby win?

Either way it didn't work.

Wasn’t it middle last week ?  Not quite 3pm at the city ground …..he said it was to remind the players how hard they worked last season and what the reward looked like. 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Wasn’t it middle last week ?  Not quite 3pm at the city ground …..he said it was to remind the players how hard they worked last season and what the reward looked like. 

Ahhhh sorry. Thought he had pulled out before the game (the trophy that is) .... In the week running up isn't as bad to be fair..

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe don't gob off in the press that we might have peaked as a club and this might be as good as it gets and then gob off about how some of the players might think winning the FA Cup is as good as it gets and that's it for them. 

Rodgers basks in the glory that he has a positive influence over his players but doesn't think his words and actions can have an adverse effect either.

I really hope someone in the press takes him to account over these two contradictory rants he's recently gone on.

I was waiting for bbc owen to say... it sounds like you're passing the buck.  Dont you have any responsibility?

Isnt it your job to lead these guys?

When at work I always went into bat for my staff...  that spurred loyalty.. Brendan missed that lesson. 

A more worrying fact is that througout his reign..certain aspects have not been addressed: eg the defence; lack of goal chances; ,lack of fight; low physically so we are bullied out of games (ref sparta Prague... they to forest).  

He just doesn't solve these problems.

Finally the recruitment of the Southampton two was the beginning of his end.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How can that be demotivating? 

Not so much demotivating but a bit patronising for some. I can just imagine him sprouting some Brent  **** while holding it as it reflects off the cryogenic therapy emergency lighting. 

Maybe some like you would be lapping it up. In which case well done Brendan. 

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

i really hope someone in the press takes him to account over these two contradictory rants he's recently gone on.

Don’t hold your breath - I find the vast majority of the local informed press to be nothing more than sycophants and the national press are either too scared to upset him and lose their snippets or dont have a clue what going on  so wouldn’t be able to ask the question …..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe don't gob off in the press that we might have peaked as a club and this might be as good as it gets and then gob off about how some of the players might think winning the FA Cup is as good as it gets and that's it for them. 

Rodgers basks in the glory that he has a positive influence over his players but doesn't think his words and actions can have an adverse effect either.

I really hope someone in the press takes him to account over these two contradictory rants he's recently gone on.

....just for clarity Ric, I do not see those two remarks as contradictory!!!

All he is saying is that the players at his disposal have gone as far as they can, and for some, what they have achieved is as much as they will in their career. I do not agree with either of those statements and that he is in anyway a great man manager.

He makes insensitive comments at ill-judged times and after 3 years most have (I would believe) had enough of his blarney.

51 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...why are we focusing on his defensive failings!!!

With a team who plays a high line and a back four with pace, we can afford to have him as an outlet up the pitch. A 4-3-3 can still give the left back cover, if we are condensing the pitch any defensive duties would not be onerous for him, just cutting out passing lanes is all we need to ask. We do not feed him enough, he starts off well, gets the better of his defender and then we stop giving him the ball. It happens over and over, teams will have to adjust or double up against him, meaning that the Right Wing will have more advantage to hurt them or they choose not to double up on Barnes.

Because we can't defend?

It's a team game, if its good enough for the top sides to expect everyone to put in a shift defensively then it's good enough for us.

Edited by coolhandfox

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Paying him £10m a year? How about we send him packing with £15m worth of defender as a compromise. 

The club should be taking you on as a lead negotiator for all the contracts. The clause that would permit this is the one that the club never knew they needed. 
lol

4 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

The club should be taking you on as a lead negotiator for all the contracts. The clause that would permit this is the one that the club never knew they needed. 
lol

If the manager rates someone that much they should be willing to take on the valuable asset in return for them leaving the club IMO.

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Not so much demotivating but a bit patronising for some. I can just imagine him sprouting some Brent  **** while holding it as it reflects off the cryogenic therapy emergency lighting. 

Maybe some lik.e you would be lapping it up. In which case well done Brendan. 

...that is not the mentality that Rodgers claims to want to bring to the club!!!

A winning mentality says, that was last season, we are not entitled to be crowned Champions we have to go out and earn it. United did it under Ferguson, you have to be willing to go again as hard as you did last time. What he actually reinforced was this is all you are, and will ever be for that day, some may gain inspiration, most will remember the feeling, but not believe it will happen again.

We all start at zero and nothing is handed to you

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I think you’re over thinking it ric ……

I do believe that rodgers doesn’t think Barnes doesn’t get back and cover effectively

yesterday, the cross for the first goal comes in from the right - cags has been drawn out to help Thomas and our defensive shape is stretched as a consequence - I assume that rodgers believes Barnes should be doing that.  There are other more tactical issues like closing down passing lanes which he may also be getting wrong. 

If Rodgers has simply come to the conclusion that playing Barnes means a good chance we'll get shagged down his side of the pitch, the last 25 minutes of the first half yesterday would have only cemented this position. It's not as though from 20 minutes in there was much of the 'good Harvey' to balance it out. 

If he's specifically asked Barnes to do more defensive work (which you'd expect if he does have a problem with his current levels) he could be taking his apparent lack of effort as a bit of a middle finger. 

Edited by turtmcfly

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....just for clarity Ric, I do not see those two remarks as contradictory!!!

All he is saying is that the players at his disposal have gone as far as they can, and for some, what they have achieved is as much as they will in their career. I do not agree with either of those statements and that he is in anyway a great man manager.

He makes insensitive comments at ill-judged times and after 3 years most have (I would believe) had enough of his blarney.

You are possibly right but the former statement came from him in defence of criticism that we are in a slump after a couple of years of perceived success. Rather than admit that things aren't good enough, he's defended himself and the situation that we were possibly overachieving and peaked. 

Fine if he genuinely thinks that but others won't like it, mostly the owners.

His most recent reaction is a shift away from that and further absolvement himself of any failure or consequence of his management and what he says. Now suddenly some of these players have downed tools because of last seasons success and checked out and that that might be OK for them but not for him, he's here to still win things.

Again fine, great to hear Brendan but stop the dog shit about it being as good as it gets and once again only ever taking any involvement when talking about what we have achieved and then dodging out the way when talking about our issues.

None of this is a surprise though, he's acting exactly as we were told and how we witnessed him at the back end of his Liverpool and Celtic tenures.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Because we can't defend?

It's a team game, if its good enough for the top sides to expect everyone to put in a shift defensively then it's good enough for us.

...if you go back to Mahrez, he did no defensive work, why can't we have a situation where this is how we play Barnes!!!

I am not worried about what other teams do, Barnes does not have to be running backwards to defend, he can effectively be the first line of defence from the front. If he is cutting out passing lanes or closing down fullbacks forcing them to go long, then he is doing a job for the team.

26 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Maybe some like you would be lapping it up. In which case well done Brendan. 

You don’t think Fergie did it then?

41 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Taking the FA Cup into the changing room before the game seems a bit David Brent does it not?

That would have had no motivating factor for me if I was in the changing room, actually the opposite as I'd find it patronising.

But then I got thinking...

Did he know morale and focus was so low it was a last ditch effort to pull the players around?

Or 

Was it my original theory he dreamed about going on national telly post match to tell the nation how he inspired the players before a derby win?

Either way it didn't work.

Exactly this.

It’s completely David Brent and makes absolutely no sense either.

A local derby with a great atmosphere, stick all 3 Leicester lads in the side, and explain that it’s a big deal.

Taking the trophy in stinks of entitlement, and actually would be all the motivation Forest would need watching us carry it off the coach.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Exactly this.

It’s completely David Brent and makes absolutely no sense either.

A local derby with a great atmosphere, stick all 3 Leicester lads in the side, and explain that it’s a big deal.

Taking the trophy in stinks of entitlement, and actually would be all the motivation Forest would need watching us carry it off the coach.

Thats not what happened though ……. If it is what happened then you’d be right …….but it isn’t …..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Mister said:

Horrible defensive tactics from Rodgers are letting the team down, not the players.

Questions should be asked of both, regardless of past achievements.

Recruitment has been mixed. The side is unbalanced in terms of its lack of physicality. Defensive shape looks horrendous. Set piece coaching needs questioning. The injury crisis which coincided with BR's arrival has spiralled. Selection decisions are worrying. He's not proactive when it comes to in-game management. Post-match comments are inconsistent (just over a month ago he remarked that our players always give everything, yesterday he remarked that for a good while he's been thinking that this isn't the case). And all of this a few months after he reportedly considered jumping ship. The best I can say is that I'm relieved he's acknowledged that there are serious issues to address.

The players need questioning too. BR can't be held responsible for those who don't commit their futures to the club and subsequently suffer a serious loss of form. Neither is this the first serious loss of form a supposedly want-away player has suffered this season. Rodgers should take responsibility for his team selections and their outcomes, but he can't take responsibility for performances which don't come near professional standards. You have to expect that as a minimum.

17 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if you go back to Mahrez, he did no defensive work, why can't we have a situation where this is how we play Barnes!!!

I am not worried about what other teams do, Barnes does not have to be running backwards to defend, he can effectively be the first line of defence from the front. If he is cutting out passing lanes or closing down fullbacks forcing them to go long, then he is doing a job for the team.

If he was producing the goods like last year and the season before yes, I'd agree.

But 2 goals and 3 assists doesn't warrant it at the moment. When was he last match winning performance?

Why does Mahrez have to defend for Man City now? Why does Mane defend for Liverpool? Because that is the level expected.

Work rate and hard work is the difference between a good player and a great player, not just talent.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

If he was producing the goods like last year and the season before yes, I'd agree.

But 2 goals and 3 assists doesn't warrant it at the moment. When was he last match winning performance?

Why does Mahrez have to defend for Man City now? Why does Mane defend for Liverpool? Because that is the level expected.

Work rate and hard work is the difference between a good player and a great player, not just talent.

....because both managers want them to!!!

We do not have to emulate other teams. Mahrez when he was here did not defend, it worked for us. The thing with football is that new ideas come and other teams copy and it becomes a universal way of playing the game. It does mot mean it can't work, we have seen it in practice, it really does not matter what other teams do.

11 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

No one had more skill and talent than George Best, yet I read he was still first on the training pitch and last to leave.

Interestingly,  he also practised and practised still more, using his weaker foot until, if anything, it was slightly dominant.

Imagine, these overpaid prima donnas doing that?

Of course Best slipped off the rails towards the end but some of our lot can't even be bothered to  catch the train.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 3

Been thinking a lot about the performance yesterday. There's one thing that I think is rather quite baffling.....

All of our good play came down the left. Barnes had the besting of his man. Why on earth did he get hooked? Just to play daka out of position?? Daka was wide constantly and totally isolated. 

I've said it before that I'm not a fan of lookman (just look at my posts during the game).....it's mad that he stayed on whilst Barnes came off at half time. It's stupid decisions like this that worry me. Ok fair enough the players didn't fight. But there is some basic things a COACH can do.....e.g. learn to defend from corners. Or tell Soyuncu to stop constantly passing to Thomas under pressure.  You can also make the right subs. 

• Like 2