Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....because both managers want them to!!!

We do not have to emulate other teams. Mahrez when he was here did not defend, it worked for us. The thing with football is that new ideas come and other teams copy and it becomes a universal way of playing the game. It does mot mean it can't work, we have seen it in practice, it really does not matter what other teams do.

I totally get your point. The two key differences for me are: first, that Barnes is far less creative than Mahrez, and as such far less worth the sacrifice. Second, that Mahrez played in an extremely physical, tireless side which played counter-attacking football, rather than a physically impotent, frankly half-arsed, possession-based team like ours. I'm not sure we can afford that sort of free attacking role, and if we could, I'm not sure Barnes would be the man.

3 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I totally get your point. The two key differences for me are: first, that Barnes is far less creative than Mahrez, and as such far less worth the sacrifice. Second, that Mahrez played in an extremely physical, tireless side which played counter-attacking football, rather than a physically impotent, frankly half-arsed, possession-based team like ours. I'm not sure we can afford that sort of free attacking role, and if we could, I'm not sure Barnes would be the man.

....what we see from Barnes is half what he can do!!!

I am not sure if it is confidence or what we ask of him, but he has a deft touch and can be creative on the pitch. Admittedly not exactly like Mahrez, but he can beat a man, good around the edge of the box and just need to be allowed to immerse himself into the game.

Playing wide can leave him struggling to get into the game, playing him centrally will keep him involved much more and also link the play, I really do not believe we have seen as much of what Barnes can do, so far in his career.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chapero82 said:

So it was Rodgers fault we got Southamptons defence 

This is why I think it's a huge risk to keep him rather than to get rid. He's got previous for pulling shit like this. Remember Liverpool's transfer committee debacle where they eventually alternated which player to go for based on the recommendation. He's no squad architect and the longer he's here the more I worry we're going to lose the actual talent in this department. It already started in the summer with one of our best going to Roma.

He never learns. Messiah complex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

This is why I think it's a huge risk to keep him rather than to get rid. He's got previous for pulling shit like this. Remember Liverpool's transfer committee debacle where they eventually alternated which player to go for based on the recommendation. He's no squad architect and the longer he's here the more I worry we're going to lose the actual talent in this department. It already started in the summer with one of our best going to Roma.

Never mind the chuckle brothers from Southampton,  he spunked millions up the wall on perez...that alone should be a warning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

The odd one outside the model is OK if there's a specific requirement like bringing in an experienced player with leadership qualities like Evans but not when dross that doesn't fit our model or style of play becomes the norm.

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, Collibosher70 said:

Never mind the chuckle brothers from Southampton,  he spunked millions up the wall on perez...that alone should be a warning.

I didn’t realize how damning the stats were on Perez

30million quid for Perez now seems lunacy actually 

5 hours ago, chapero82 said:

So it was Rodgers fault we got Southamptons defence 

If this is true he simply cannot be allowed to oversee any kind of significant overhaul of the squad, which means there is little alternative to us parting ways at the end of the season (if not earlier).

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

If this is true he simply cannot be allowed to oversee any kind of significant overhaul of the squad, which means there is little alternative to us parting ways at the end of the season (if not earlier).

He signed Fofana and Daka though? 

Or was that just the recruitment team with no Rodgers input? 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

He signed Fofana and Daka though? 

Or was that just the recruitment team with no Rodgers input? 

Well has a journalist said that the recruitment team advised against signing Fofana or Daka and he overruled them? Because if so I'll praise him for it and if not its a meaningless comparison.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Well has a journalist said that the recruitment team advised against signing Fofana or Daka and he overruled them? Because if so I'll praise him for it and if not its a meaningless comparison.

Not that meaningless. I'm just saying that, like at most other clubs and like other managers, they get some signings spot on and some howlers. 

9 minutes ago, MattFox said:

This is equally scary. Michael Edwards for one has certainly proved himself as being at the highest level of his profession. It should’ve been a privilege for Brendan to have worked with someone of that ability. 

Why would you be so against working with someone who was good at his job. Klopp seems to have benefitted from it. 

Guest Col city fan

I don’t get this applause at having signed certain players? And never really have.

Daka was surely known to many many scouts across Europe. He was scoring goals and would probably be available for a decent sum of money. He didn’t need a lot of scouting tbf and if Leicester hadn’t signed him, he’d have gone somewhere else.

Fofana was slightly different I think. That WAS well done by the club. He went from being a good player at his previous club, to being an exceptional player in a very short space of time.

But I kind of judge a manager not only the clever signings they make, but also on the ridiculous ones. 
No doubt in my mind, under Pearson and Walsh, the brilliance of the scouting set up was there. To sign Vardy… surely Leicester’s best ever value for money signing. Mahrez… ffs, who found him!!?

Even Knockeart… fair enough, he went off the boil but he was still scouted brilliantly.

Under Rodgers it’s been very hit and miss I think. In Soumare for instance… Jury on him is still very much out in my mind and I’m still not sure whether I wouldn’t actually start Mendy over Soumare at the moment.

Bertrand… rubbish acquisition. Vestie… rubbish acquisition

Add to this NOT bulking up the squad enough and leaving it threadbare with any real quality when we’ve had injuries and this adds up to Leicester, at least in my mind, no longer being a particularly good recruiter of talent anymore.

We we’re spoilt with Walsh and Pearson in terms of recruitment. And it’s never been anywhere near as good since

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....because both managers want them to!!!

We do not have to emulate other teams. Mahrez when he was here did not defend, it worked for us. The thing with football is that new ideas come and other teams copy and it becomes a universal way of playing the game. It does mot mean it can't work, we have seen it in practice, it really does not matter what other teams do.

So Rodgers is wrong for wanting him to work harder. Sorry but hard work is universal.

The best teams aren't just more talented they work harder too.

You are just give him a free pass.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not that meaningless. I'm just saying that, like at most other clubs and like other managers, they get some signings spot on and some howlers. 

Agreed. The decision team and club collectively have to take responsibility. We are also looking at this at a point in time when feelings are understandably heightened. No excuses for the Southampton pair. Those two have to take some responsibility for their performances too and work harder to make amends. We won’t always get it right. 
However things have to improve on many fronts and Brendan has to lead on this. He will likely be given more time to lead improvement but if that doesn’t come soon the club will have no option but to move on.  

• Like 1