Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...if you go back to Mahrez, he did no defensive work, why can't we have a situation where this is how we play Barnes!!!

I am not worried about what other teams do, Barnes does not have to be running backwards to defend, he can effectively be the first line of defence from the front. If he is cutting out passing lanes or closing down fullbacks forcing them to go long, then he is doing a job for the team.

Totally agree, he shouldn’t have to defend, but sadly unlike Mahrez , Harvey doesn’t have the magnificent defensive qualities of Simmo behind him, or Fuchs on the other side. The proudest point for me on the title win was we beat the tippy tappy premier with a 442 , round pegs in round holes. Still a great system but we couldn’t play that now. Don’t see Mane or Salah doing much defensively for the scousers either? And we’re supposed to be 433 at times.

Just now, ceebeefox said:

Totally agree, he shouldn’t have to defend, but sadly unlike Mahrez , Harvey doesn’t have the magnificent defensive qualities of Simmo behind him, or Fuchs on the other side. The proudest point for me on the title win was we beat the tippy tappy premier with a 442 , round pegs in round holes. Still a great system but we couldn’t play that now. Don’t see Mane or Salah doing much defensively for the scousers either? And we’re supposed to be 433 at times.

If you think Mane and Salah do zero defensive work you clearly haven’t watched Liverpool much. Their work rate is unreal and Klopp expects a certain standard from all his players. 

• Like 1

Wow, that changes things for me. There was a suspicion that Rodgers wanted Vestergaard but Tanner is well connected and wouldn't say this if he didn't have firm evidence, given the potential backlash from the club.

Sounds like he's learned his lesson but that decision has had such a detrimental impact on the team. 

Less concerned about Bertrand as there wasn't a transfer fee but still a poor decision. 

10 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Thats not what happened though ……. If it is what happened then you’d be right …….but it isn’t …..

I’ve read various reports suggesting it did and then some that refer to it happening before match day. You’re right, if it was before match day, fair enough (although still not sure I’d use that particular motivation bullet prior to Forest). 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

He signed Fofana and Daka though? 

Or was that just the recruitment team with no Rodgers input? 

Fofana and Daka fit much more into our normal model of transfers in, (young, unproven) so it would be natural to guess that they were the work of our recruitment team rather than Rodgers.

Edited by deep blue

It probably wouldn’t have made a different but why the **** did he play Ward instead of Schmeichel? I’d rather he started against Liverpool. How can you tell your fans we want to defend the trophy when you don’t pick your absolute best eleven. 

Kasper loses his head but we needed someone to give the defence a bollocking on Sunday and they were all just looking round feeling sorry for themselves. 

You can’t pin them on Ward, but he was also in goal at Newport and Zorya when we pathetically lost there too. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Wow, that changes things for me. There was a suspicion that Rodgers wanted Vestergaard but Tanner is well connected and wouldn't say this if he didn't have firm evidence, given the potential backlash from the club.

Sounds like he's learned his lesson but that decision has had such a detrimental impact on the team. 

Less concerned about Bertrand as there wasn't a transfer fee but still a poor decision. 

Agree with this 

cannot understand why a journo hasn’t picked up on his comments re fofana being vital to the way we want to play in compressing the play and deciding vestergaard was a suitable purchase to plug the gap ??  the ‘kop out’ answer would be that he wanted someone to play in a three for when we needed a different approach - but I’d like to hear him say that because if he didn’t, it would raise a lot of questions ….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

It probably wouldn’t have made a different but why the **** did he play Ward instead of Schmeichel? I’d rather he started against Liverpool. How can you tell your fans we want to defend the trophy when you don’t pick your absolute best eleven. 

Kasper loses his head but we needed someone to give the defence a bollocking on Sunday and they were all just looking round feeling sorry for themselves. 

You can’t pin them on Ward, but he was also in goal at Newport and Zorya when we pathetically lost there too. 

Who was in goal for Newcastle (2-4), Prague (2-0), Bournemouth (4-1), Spurs (2-4), Spurs again (3-3)?

God I hope it was Kasper after I've said this without checking lol

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....because both managers want them to!!!

We do not have to emulate other teams. Mahrez when he was here did not defend, it worked for us. The thing with football is that new ideas come and other teams copy and it becomes a universal way of playing the game. It does mot mean it can't work, we have seen it in practice, it really does not matter what other teams do.

You would also have to tell the LB Justin or Thomas not to cross the halfway line as per Simpson, you’ve then just negated an attacking option.

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Agree with this 

cannot understand why a journo hasn’t picked up on his comments re fofana being vital to the way we want to play in compressing the play and deciding vestergaard was a suitable purchase to plug the gap ??  the ‘kop out’ answer would be that he wanted someone to play in a three for when we needed a different approach - but I’d like to hear him say that because if he didn’t, it would raise a lot of questions ….

The response would be something like this if Rodgers was ever asked such a probing question. 

del boy.gif

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Agree with this 

I think Tanner wrote an article on that very point, and Rodgers was asked about it. His claim was Vestergaard was capable of pressing the ball. Either Rodgers made a horrible misjudgement, or he thought he could coach him to do this which also was misplaced. 

So disappointed, thought he had learned more from his Liverpool experience. The three buys that it appears he and Congerton insisted upon - Perez, Vestergaard and Bertrand - have been our worst signings. 

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

You would also have to tell the LB Justin or Thomas not to cross the halfway line as per Simpson, you’ve then just negated an attacking option.

Spence was up and down that right side for Forest and JJ can do that easily. Luke has to get that into his game and I am sure he will.

not convinced by people putting blame on southampton two squarely at rodgers; feels like recruitment team trying to blame others

i get logic behind signing experienced pros especially when fuchs and wes left; we just signed the worst two possible players you could find in the uk

5 minutes ago, turlo said:

The response would be something like this if Rodgers was ever asked such a probing question. 

del boy.gif

LOL. This is what he actually said:

"If you look at where he's come from, a team that presses the game, that is high up the pitch. He has to do that. He's played in a national team that will press the game".

For such a capable coach and man-manager, he does some really stupid things to shoot himself in the foot. 

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Spence was up and down that right side for Forest and JJ can do that easily. Luke has to get that into his game and I am sure he will.

What formation were they in? i think that 1 isn't welcomed on here. Also Johnson was covering when Spence went beyond him

22 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Who was in goal for Newcastle (2-4), Prague (2-0), Bournemouth (4-1), Spurs (2-4), Spurs again (3-3)?

God I hope it was Kasper after I've said this without checking lol

Yeah exactly, it’s just a thought I had when clutching at straws but we needed some kind of direction. 

At least they were all top flight opposition.

Edited by RonnieTodger

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Not sure I really trust Brendan to do the rebuild. I would personally write this season off. Sack him and get Potter in the summer.

Give this very talented team the kick up the arse it so obviously needs.

If he's in charge of the rebuild and he goes further against the recruitment model that has largely served us well in the past then it'll be no surprise to see our stronghold as the best of the rest gone for a long, long time. Given the financial burden from the training ground and stadium, we'll not be able to buy our way out of any mistakes in this crucial rebuild so it could be devastating to allow him to do it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I'll point you towards the Kasper thread, this place yings & yangs between him being great to absolute shite depending on result & how many times he's kicked the ball off the field.

Agree his voice was needed when they lost their heads & shrunk up their own hoops but he wasn't & we learnt a bit more about certain players.

In that Athletic podcast, Rob infers that Brendan has learnt from the Vestergaard / Bertrand signings and that the club has become very wary of varying from the model that has served us so well in the past.

I just hope its not hyperbole on Rob's part.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1