Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

21 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

In that Athletic podcast, Rob infers that Brendan has learnt from the Vestergaard / Bertrand signings and that the club has become very wary of varying from the model that has served us so well in the past.

I just its not hyperbole on Rob's part.

But do we forgive that. If he went away from the model he's damaged the club. In jobs of this nature you live and die by your decisions. His risk is now what 6th choice centre back and genuine moan goes up when he comes on/starts. 

If true and Rob is accurate, he's made a blunder which alongside some of the other issues we've had this season (i.e. not defending a corner properly) make him past his sell by date. What's saying he wont want to pick up another player he believes in during probably the most important summer we've had since 2016. 

He's been backed as much if not more than any other manager in the KP ownership. Not one star player was sold. Money was spent and we replaced an injured player which, based on our business (or lack of) in Jan may have been over budget. We've got back a disorganised, childish at times team performances. Shock results, lack of effort and blunders. We've had some great and good times under him in the past two years but we've also be accustomed to disasters. Is the good times enough to give him another go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eblair said:

not convinced by people putting blame on southampton two squarely at rodgers; feels like recruitment team trying to blame others

i get logic behind signing experienced pros especially when fuchs and wes left; we just signed the worst two possible players you could find in the uk

In fairness to Bertrand he did look quite good in pre-season especially his set piece taking of corners & freekicks, he then got Covid & then injured, he has only made 4 premier lge starts for us, 11 overall with EFL, Community shield & Europa.
I think he's going down as 1 of the worst due to his now absence which you can't legislate for, i agree he hasn't ripped it up in every 1 of those 11 but covid & niggling injuries have a part to play in those i would guess.
He was only brought in as free + an old head & i fully understand that it made sense given Wes & Fuchs leaving, who knows if he was fit now he could be in a 3 & providing that much needed experience & voice which is currently lacking.

10 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

But do we forgive that. If he went away from the model he's damaged the club. In jobs of this nature you live and die by your decisions. His risk is now what 6th choice centre back and genuine moan goes up when he comes on/starts. 

If true and Rob is accurate, he's made a blunder which alongside some of the other issues we've had this season (i.e. not defending a corner properly) make him past his sell by date. What's saying he wont want to pick up another player he believes in during probably the most important summer we've had since 2016. 

He's been backed as much if not more than any other manager in the KP ownership. Not one star player was sold. Money was spent and we replaced an injured player which, based on our business (or lack of) in Jan may have been over budget. We've got back a disorganised, childish at times team performances. Shock results, lack of effort and blunders. We've had some great and good times under him in the past two years but we've also be accustomed to disasters. Is the good times enough to give him another go.  

Cannot argue with that. If its all true, Brendan has made a serious mistake, one in contravention of the clubs standard way of working. The key question now is, has he really learnt? if he has, he could probably be involved in the rebuild. Getting a new manager who has not made this mistake, and critically learnt from it, does not mean the same error will not occur again.

Tricky, go Susan, go Top!  :scarf:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It probably wouldn’t have made a different but why the **** did he play Ward instead of Schmeichel? I’d rather he started against Liverpool. How can you tell your fans we want to defend the trophy when you don’t pick your absolute best eleven. 

Kasper loses his head but we needed someone to give the defence a bollocking on Sunday and they were all just looking round feeling sorry for themselves. 

You can’t pin them on Ward, but he was also in goal at Newport and Zorya when we pathetically lost there too. 

...it sent a signal right away  that we were not fully committed to this game!!!

If you have players walking on to the pitch, with the same thought in their heads, you can imagine what a shock it was when Forest went into overdrive and their crowd got fully involved. No one to turn to, no one prepared to stand up.

Edited by sacreblueits442

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It probably wouldn’t have made a different but why the **** did he play Ward instead of Schmeichel? I’d rather he started against Liverpool. How can you tell your fans we want to defend the trophy when you don’t pick your absolute best eleven. 

Kasper loses his head but we needed someone to give the defence a bollocking on Sunday and they were all just looking round feeling sorry for themselves. 

You can’t pin them on Ward, but he was also in goal at Newport and Zorya when we pathetically lost there too. 

Ward isn't good enough. I wasn't impressed with him at all on Sunday, he was rarely catching anything, everything hit at him he just palmed away.

At the game I felt he could come for the first goal, although it may have been further out than I thought, second one wasn't his fault but it goes straight through his legs and watching MOTD back it looks like he gives all the net for the fourth.

I'll not be happy if he is our succession plan to Kasper.

I can't believe Rodgers bigged the game up, excitement about his first East Midlands derby, said we want to get to Wembley again and then made changes such as Ward for Kasper.

If he wanted to give gametime I'd have preferred him do it for Thursday night at Anfield because we aren't going to do much in the league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chapero82 said:

So it was Rodgers fault we got Southamptons defence 

Wow that's damning, so Brendan overruled the Recruitment team at Leicester and went ahead and signed the two.

So the Recruitment team didn't want Vestergaard and Bertrand but Brendan did, just as I thought some signing were made by the board eg. Daka and Soumare and the other two by Brendan.

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas

I don't think we have the money he wants to rebuild, simply put this squad needs refinement which will be 1 or 2 players in critical positions. Or if a major player were to be sold, someone brought in to replace that position. I can't help but feel this whole situation is the making of the club, they've allowed Rodgers to bring in his mate in recruitment. They've allowed him to bring in his own players (as per the podcast), one of which at quite a significant cost and a very hit & miss return. They've failed to bring in replacements in critical positions in good timing and often leaving it last minute (failing to act in January, not bringing in defenders despite lack of quality or aging players). 

I simply cannot understand how you lose Morgan and Fuchs, knowing Evans is getting on and getting more and more injuries and only bringing in 1 (extremely poor) replacement from a team that has been drubbed 9-0 TWICE!

Simply put, I don't trust Rodgers to complete a rebuild, and I don't think he will get the funds he thinks he'll get to do a rebuild. Challenging the players in the manner that he has done so in recent weeks is only going to create a divide between them and him, the far simpler and cheaper option is to part company with Rodgers and bring in a coach, not someone who will expect total control of the club. Rodgers has been afforded too much control of this club, warning signs were in his first full season when we dropped away after he was linked with a move away, we let the same repeat the following season and this season it's come home to roost.

Thanks Brendan, time to go. 

And, 1 more thing.. if we buy players, can we buy players who IMPROVE our 11 and not bolster a squad? We've adopted this strategy and we've not moved forward in all this time.

4 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Wow that's damning, so Brendan overruled the Recruitment team at Leicester and went ahead and signed the two.

So the Recruitment team didn't want Vestergaard and Bertrand but Brendan did, just as I thought some signing were made by the board eg. Daka and Soumare and the other two by Brendan.

Are we really sure about Vestergaard? His lack of pace always seemed at odds to a Rodgers signing and had been scouted before. That one always seemed above his head to me. Also whilst it’s been a disastrous signing it was a panic buy so personally I don’t get too caught up on it. 

It’s clear we need a rebuild and those questioning Rodgers to do it have rightful concerns. I feel like the summer will be pivotal to the next 5 years for the club. 

• Like 1

There's a lot of talk about not moving away from the Leicester City model but at the same time expectance of being sat at the top table, can you carry on with that model & still achieve top 4?
Our model due to budget is to pluck young players from lower leagues that have potential right but vary rarely will you see 1 explode from the get go so it takes 1 maybe even 2 seasons as they develop & grow into really good players, can a top 4 team wait 2 seasons even 1 when most/all of your transfers are brought from the model?
How many punts do the current top 6 go after, yes there's the odd 1 or 2 but that's only because they have already brought the established players (at great cost) giving them much needed squad depth to allow the young punt to mature.
They also have the advantage at being established top 4 meaning the likelihood of top players leaving is less than if we dipped our toe into top 4 as it gives our players the platform to move on, our title win proved that, DD, Kante, Mahrez, Kasper & Vardy all either had offers or went thats 5 of your starting 11 that you'd potentially need to replace the following season & looking at those names & their experience (mirror those for the next time we finish in top 4) could we afford to follow the model of young potential.

Everyone's saying the clubs moved on but its moving on with a top 10 budget, at some point we need to break the model & go big & i don't mean the likes of Vestergaard, i mean established players that the other top teams are after, otherwise we are stuck in a cycle & that's with or without Rodgers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

Simply put, I don't trust Rodgers to complete a rebuild, and I don't think he will get the funds he thinks he'll get to do a rebuild. Challenging the players in the manner that he has done so in recent weeks is only going to create a divide between them and him, the far simpler and cheaper option is to part company with Rodgers and bring in a coach, not someone who will expect total control of the club. Rodgers has been afforded too much control of this club, warning signs were in his first full season when we dropped away after he was linked with a move away, we let the same repeat the following season and this season it's come home to roost

Never read anything so far from the truth. I think he did the right thing in that interview on Sunday. Players get away with too much and hide behind the manager that gets the flack of negativity everyweek and he defends them, He must feel really damn frustrated with how they have played especially a cup game like that. Too me i feel he understands the importance of a Derby and whats required and and some players dont.  He can only do so much off the pitch and for the players to listen, they have before and won the FA cup and kept just below top 4. no excuses at all. lack of commitment and hunger absolutely.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Are we really sure about Vestergaard? His lack of pace always seemed at odds to a Rodgers signing and had been scouted before. That one always seemed above his head to me. Also whilst it’s been a disastrous signing it was a panic buy so personally I don’t get too caught up on it. 

It’s clear we need a rebuild and those questioning Rodgers to do it have rightful concerns. I feel like the summer will be pivotal to the next 5 years for the club. 

Any idea why we signed him? Based on the fact that both Wilf and Hamza have started ahead of him, why couldn't we have just had those as the options?

We shouldn't be letting the club off with spending probably a quarter of our budget and giving a 3 year contract to a player that is thought of so lowly that our tiny 5/6th choice cm is preferred ahead of him.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Any idea why we signed him? Based on the fact that both Wilf and Hamza have started ahead of him, why couldn't we have just had those as the options?

We shouldn't be letting the club off with spending probably a quarter of our budget and giving a 3 year contract to a player that is thought of so lowly that our tiny 5/6th choice cm is preferred ahead of him.

This is exactly it!!

My theory is that BR asked for funds in Jan for a CB, and the club told him they gave him £15M in the summer for a defender that now sits on the bench despite being fit (he’s just not good enough for us). 

They’ve basically told him to suck it up, and rightfully so. He just can’t be trusted making such important signings like that again. 

IMO it’s a tough call from the club- but he basically blew our Jan budget before the season began (yes Fofana’s injury was unexpected, but that was our budget gone). 

Edited by Chloe_77

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I would guess we wanted to fill the gap left by Wes’s ability to move the ball upfield (bear with me) and this would be achieved by Jannik’s ability to spray balls from deep, this coupled with his experience and it’s conceivable that there was some vague misplaced logic to this signing.

Turns out it was bobbins though.

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I didn’t realize how damning the stats were on Perez

30million quid for Perez now seems lunacy actually 

You can do so much better with £30mil it's crazy. Premier League experience is the most overly priced premium in football. I'd sooner sign from European leagues or the Championship - bet Forest have a good 2/3 players who could step up.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

In fairness to Bertrand he did look quite good in pre-season especially his set piece taking of corners & freekicks, he then got Covid & then injured, he has only made 4 premier lge starts for us, 11 overall with EFL, Community shield & Europa.
I think he's going down as 1 of the worst due to his now absence which you can't legislate for, i agree he hasn't ripped it up in every 1 of those 11 but covid & niggling injuries have a part to play in those i would guess.
He was only brought in as free + an old head & i fully understand that it made sense given Wes & Fuchs leaving, who knows if he was fit now he could be in a 3 & providing that much needed experience & voice which is currently lacking.

Did you see Bertrand when he came on against Liverpool in the League Cup … he apparently caught the Cags bug of not having a bloody clue about his positioning. I don’t think that’s down to anything other than being incompetent!

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I would guess we wanted to fill the gap left by Wes’s ability to move the ball upfield (bear with me) and this would be achieved by Jannik’s ability to spray balls from deep, this coupled with his experience and it’s conceivable that there was some vague misplaced logic to this signing.

Turns out it was bobbins though.

Loan, a loan of some sort, even if they were as bad as Vesty, I can chalk that up to wanting to fill a gap quickly. I'd still say it was a poor signing, but I'd accept the club had minimised risk. Much like the Bennett signing.

I just can't accept spending that much money on a player and tieing them to the club for 3 years when they're an immediate 6th choice CB. I just can't understand the mindset. Whoever (Brendan :ph34r:) gave the go ahead, must have been quite confident in them being able to challenge to be 2nd/3rd choice. Otherwise, why spend 15 million on a cb that we don't think is good enough to play for us long term once Wes was back?

This signing has officially outsted Junior Lewis from the position of worst ever signing for me. Special mention to Akinbiyi and Matt Mills not far behind.

8 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Loan, a loan of some sort, even if they were as bad as Vesty, I can chalk that up to wanting to fill a gap quickly. I'd still say it was a poor signing, but I'd accept the club had minimised risk. Much like the Bennett signing.

I just can't accept spending that much money on a player and tieing them to the club for 3 years when they're an immediate 6th choice CB. I just can't understand the mindset. Whoever (Brendan :ph34r:) gave the go ahead, must have been quite confident in them being able to challenge to be 2nd/3rd choice. Otherwise, why spend 15 million on a cb that we don't think is good enough to play for us long term once Wes was back?

This signing has officially outsted Junior Lewis from the position of worst ever signing for me. Special mention to Akinbiyi and Matt Mills not far behind.

#prayforperez

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Don't think a major rebuild is required, we need about 2 great players, as some said yesterday we have already a good squad and with players coming up from the academy we have more than enough.

More the problem is who wants to buy Vestergaard, Bertrand and Perez. 

Instead of Brendan saying that half the team needs changing, a better manager would try to the get the very best in what they got. 

Don't trust Brendan in his recruitment and his preferance for EPL experience players, paying 3 or 4 times what they are worth eg 30m for Perez and 15m for Vestergaard.

Brendan needs to have less of a role in recruitment and leave it to the Leicester recruitment team and focus more in what's happening on the pitch and man management the players better instead of alienating some and favoring others or he'll lose them all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1