Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

After the Vestergaard error, you'd hope the club will say to him that they will only sign players from the pool that the recruitment team recommend moving forward. 

Rodgers' main role should be to decide what profile of player he wants to guide the recruitment's team's targeting and to assess the player's character i.e. how they fit into the team culture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

The Athletic podcast is well worth a listen where Tanner discusses the club:

Apart from the stuff directly linked to the Forest game, the thing that struck me in this was the reminder that last summer we didn't sell a 'prize asset'

I wonder how much of an effect that one significant change from recent seasons has had. Massive hindsight alert, but if you could go back and sell Youri (I pick him because I think he's clearly got the highest 'saleable value before the season/contribution during it' ratio) for a huge wedge at the start of the summer window it could have led to some proper business. TBH I can't remember whether there was any concrete interest in him at the time, and given what happened in the FA Cup final I can only imagine the howls of protest if we had allowed him to leave (perversely an indicator of it being a good time to sell).

I not anywhere near as squeamish as some on here when it comes to losing a favourite player, so it's easier for me to say, but... perhaps the 'prize asset -> two cheaper talents plus some change' model should move from being a 'potential feature' of our success to more of a mandated post-season activity, where we actively pursue because despite the pain we know it's good for us.

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Apart from the stuff directly linked to the Forest game, the thing that struck me in this was the reminder that last summer we didn't sell a 'prize asset'

I wonder how much of an effect that one significant change from recent seasons has had. Massive hindsight alert, but if you could go back and sell Youri (I pick him because I think he's clearly got the highest 'saleable value before the season/contribution during it' ratio) for a huge wedge at the start of the summer window it could have led to some proper business. TBH I can't remember whether there was any concrete interest in him at the time, and given what happened in the FA Cup final I can only imagine the howls of protest if we had allowed him to leave (perversely an indicator of it being a good time to sell).

I not anywhere near as squeamish as some on here when it comes to losing a favourite player, so it's easier for me to say, but... perhaps the 'prize asset -> two cheaper talents plus some change' model should move from being a 'potential feature' of our success to more of a mandated post-season activity, where we actively pursue because despite the pain we know it's good for us.

It is a huge amount of hindsight but if we knew how the season and his form was going to pan out I think most of us would have been happy to see Youri go for big money last summer.

To be honest i’d happily take 20-30m for him this summer as well. 

39 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

#prayforperez

Perez played a minor part in our FA Cup goal with his excellent handball pass to Thomas, so as much as I don't rate him, that small role in our history grants him a pass from the list of shame :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

It is a huge amount of hindsight but if we knew how the season and his form was going to pan out I think most of us would have been happy to see Youri go for big money last summer.

To be honest i’d happily take 20-30m for him this summer as well. 

My aim wasn't to pick/concentrate on Youri.

The point is most (all?) of us wouldn't have been happy to see him go for big money last summer, but we should have done it anyway despite that, because the model of selling a prize asset to fund multiple purchases has been shown to work. In other words, pull the plaster off early, on purpose, at a time of our choosing and when we hold the upper hand.

• Like 1

Listened to the athletic podcast and the insight from Rob Tanner was really interesting but I also thought the timing and content was particularly intriguing …..the fact someone from the club has leaked to him that Rodgers overruled the recruitment team to sign both Vestergaard and Bertrand particularly when you consider the backlash there has been to both signings, doesn’t exactly help calm the current situation and will place even more pressure and scrutiny on Rodgers position and the belief in his ability to lead the rebuild in the summer, very clever by the club as this further weakens his position and support. 

On 07/02/2022 at 13:39, st albans fox said:

Celtic had limited finances 

i know congerton has plenty of unanswered questions from his time at Sunderland 

I'm not sure how much of a stick you can beat someone with if you don’t know exactly what part they’ve played in stuff ?? 

We didn't though in relative terms, we had a budget 100x that every other team in the league bar 1. At the time we were also spending 3 what Rangers were on wages. We had a good track record of buying low and selling high, apart from that two year period where Congerton was allowed to run riot. Any big sales we made during that period were guys like Tierney, Armstrong and Dembele who were already at the club. In the case of Dembele the deal was done for him 4 months before Rodgers was appointed. Even the players we sold this summer, for decent money, who played in Rodgers team were nothing to do with Congerton, namely Edouard, Ajer and Christie.

We've had managers with half the wage budget Rodgers had who vastly out performed him in a European sense. Strachan for example, even Lennon who was clueless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of what has been said on here is valid in hindsight, but when we got Vest 'n' pants & Bertrand, some possibly thought they could be good signings.  I thought by not selling any of our prized assets it was the right way to go, and backed Rodgers for his stance on it. It is easy to know you were wrong afterwards, but for many reasons, and we don't quite know why, the season has gone pear shaped.  I for one have lost faith in the Rodgers project, but hopefully he's been chastised by this and his massive ego will eat a big slice of humble pie, and maybe he will rectify the problems.  Although I wouldn't trust him with my cash.

Captain Hindsight GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Spence was up and down that right side for Forest and JJ can do that easily. Luke has to get that into his game and I am sure he will.

Luke has improved significantly and I expect that to continue but I was surprised we didn’t start with Justin on the left to help combat Spence with Ricardo on the right. I assume riccardo wasn’t fit to start. Not a criticism of Luke just a reflection of Justin’s athletic ability and the strengths of the opposition. 

3 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Luke has improved significantly and I expect that to continue but I was surprised we didn’t start with Justin on the left to help combat Spence with Ricardo on the right. I assume riccardo wasn’t fit to start. Not a criticism of Luke just a reflection of Justin’s athletic ability and the strengths of the opposition. 

To be fair Justin couldn't cope with Spences power and speed for the last goal but as i said in a different thread Spence is at the top of his game attracting huge amounts of interest whereas Justin is returning from injury so it was always going to be a tough ask to keep him quiet for whoever played down our left side. 

Edited by lee7

Just now, lee7 said:

To be fair Justin couldn't cope with Spences power and speed for the last goal but as i said in a different thread Spence is at the top of his game attracting huge amounts of interest whereas Justin is returning from injury so it was always going to be a tough ask to keep him quiet for both Justin or Thomas.

True. Shame we didn’t try an offer to Middlesbrough in the transfer window if his loan deal permitted it. He is already quite a player. Same goes for Brennan johnson. I suggested that last year on here but the more games they play like that the more their value will increase. 

• Like 1

Time to move him on. We have to do it soon before the rot sets in to bad.

I am getting board of all the excuses and lack of self awareness.

we haven’t peaked as a team and probably won’t because he wants to move on half the squad. The reason we have so many unmotivated players is his poor management. It has to be cheaper to move him on rather than half a dozen players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We've 3 of the best youngsters this club has ever had in Alves, Braybrooke and Wanya Marca coming through. Although the rebuild is going to be extensive and we haven't huge amounts of available resource, it is essential we keep investing in to our academy. It is our ticket to maintaining our ability to turn profit and reinvest.

This! Maybe we should start promoting them now? We dumped Demarai Gray in the u23s before he left, why not do the same with Perez and give Alves a spot on the bench? Also do we really need to sign Lookman? Just another squad player who will block our youngsters pathway to the first team & cost 10-15million.

I would add a couple others to your list.. Not as talented as the ones you mentioned but have the right ingredients.

Ewing is a good example.. Aggressive, box to box and has decent technical ability too. I thought Tavares was a better player than KDH but sometimes hard work beats talent..

Flynn was our development squad player of the year & the other previous winners have all gone on to join the first team (Choudhury, Barnes, Thomas, KDH). He's had injuries which has set him back, but perhaps he could replace Bertrand in the squad.

Also Brunt has been horribly mismanaged.. Puts in a MoTm performance Vs Watford & gets dumped back in the u23's which must be very demoralizing. I would argue he could have broken through because one-off games like that can make a career (eg: Marcus Rashford's debut, who was only playing because the other academy strikers were injured). Now I'm not so sure, although I would still play him, in fact I'd play anyone in defence over Soyuncu :P.

The next crop in the u18s are even more exciting! Grist, Cover & Pennant to name a few..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

My aim wasn't to pick/concentrate on Youri.

The point is most (all?) of us wouldn't have been happy to see him go for big money last summer, but we should have done it anyway despite that, because the model of selling a prize asset to fund multiple purchases has been shown to work. In other words, pull the plaster off early, on purpose, at a time of our choosing and when we hold the upper hand.

...it does send a signal to potential recruitment in the future!!!

After 130 years of waiting, the player that brings this about is turfed out unceremoniously. It does not matter it seems what success you bring to the club any shiny object becomes more shinier than what you bring.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

After 130 years of waiting, the player that brings this about is turfed out unceremoniously. It does not matter it seems what success you bring to the club any shiny object becomes more shinier than what you bring.

Bit tabloid, no?   lol

7 hours ago, hejammy said:

Honestly 2 days after the result I feel the same. I've not had this lingering feeling after a game for a very very long time. The feeling of embarrassment, humiliation and being disheartened. Just no drive in our team. Players not giving an apparent fuchs. Can't see this going away after Thursday either. 

I've felt like this a long time. We've had a real rick in us under Rodgers but they're getting worse, and getting more frequent. There is no low I wouldn't put past this side in a one off game. Like, I genuinely believe Norwich could come here and win 0-4. Why couldn't they?

Not sure if Rodgers has ever had to play the hard arse with his players before, assume he must have before, at least once, but I will be interested to see how the players react moving forward. Clearly he is going nowhere, so just hope we and he can invigorate and inspire for the remainder of the season.

52 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Imagine my surprise that someone acted like a daft drama queen about it, using emotive terms like 'turfed out' and 'unceremoniously'.

I'm clearly not talking about selling a player against his will (however the **** that would work).

Do you think if Youri (again, for example) had been sold for top whack to, I dunno, Juventus last summer he'd have had a mardy on about it? Do you think potential recruits would be worried about emulating that career path, worry about doing well here in case they got (I can't believe I'm having to write this) 'turfed out' to a bigger club.

Myself, I have the not-so-sneaking suspicion that players coming to Leicester with an eye to a bigger move if it goes well not only happens, but the coming here at all happens to a large extent because it might.  Hello Little Wes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Imagine my surprise that someone acted like a daft drama queen about it, using emotive terms like 'turfed out' and 'unceremoniously'.

I'm clearly not talking about selling a player against his will (however the **** that would work).

Do you think if Youri (again, for example) had been sold for top whack to, I dunno, Juventus last summer he'd have had a mardy on about it? Do you think potential recruits would be worried about emulating that career path, worry about doing well here in case they got (I can't believe I'm having to write this) 'turfed out' to a bigger club.

Myself, I have the not-so-sneaking suspicion that players coming to Leicester with an eye to a bigger move if it goes well not only happens, but the coming here at all happens to a large extent because it might.  Hello Little Wes.

...why are you so angry!!!

The original post was about selling at our own discretion as opposed to the player signalling that is what he wants to do. There were no caveats as to where he would be going, just getting the money in to finance our club.

The player goes on his/ Agents terms, on the proviso that the move is right for him.

58 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...why are you so angry!!!

The original post was about selling at our own discretion as opposed to the player signalling that is what he wants to do. There were no caveats as to where he would be going, just getting the money in to finance our club.

The player goes on his/ Agents terms, on the proviso that the move is right for him.

Not angry, but defo irritated by the 'stands to reason' tone accompanied by multiple exclamation marks, as though I'd said something ridiculous.

My original (not the one you replied to) post was simply about a move for the club from what might be passively waiting to see if there are offers (or having them brought to the club's attention by the player's agent) to more actively looking for/signalling to suitors at a point where it would be a good time for the club and the player to sell. Making the 'one big player goes' actively desirable, not something to be fought off.

This would clearly have to be with the player's good will (I didn't think I need to say this specifically because, well, saying the opposite would be silly. As would assuming I was saying the opposite)

The above may already be how the club operate on the QT anyway. It was just a thought, based on the success of moving one major player in previous years and what has happened this season when we didn't (which at the very least amounts to us now having a less valuable player who has not played particularly well)

Edited by turtmcfly

That's a good point largely ignored about this season is that we're doing it on the back of nobody being sold. If nobody is sold, you would want to think that's a season where you've really gone for it, and yet this is what's been served up.

Is this our biggest PL net spend ever? Bloody hell.

• Like 4