Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

8 hours ago, shiv said:

If you think Mane and Salah do zero defensive work you clearly haven’t watched Liverpool much. Their work rate is unreal and Klopp expects a certain standard from all his players. 

They may help out in midfield but don’t see them covering full backs which is why Barnes was dragged, but I guess 4231 system is shown up a bit defensively if the three behind the front man are expected to create and get back 70 yards to tuck in.

27 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

That's a good point largely ignored about this season is that we're doing it on the back of nobody being sold. If nobody is sold, you would want to think that's a season where you've really gone for it, and yet this is what's been served up.

Is this our biggest PL net spend ever? Bloody hell.

This is by far our largest net spend over the last ten years, at least. 

Rodgers says there's players who think the FA Cup was the pinnacle and its like they've achieved all they can here. But I actually get the feeling when it comes to doing it for the fans, there's a almost this feeling that we should have just been grateful for what we have had in the last few years and we have no right to moan about some of the issues we've had.

Its certainly been the view a lot of the time from pundits. It was the response by so many to us falling into 5th both seasons too. 

I genuinely think if you asked most the players about our utter disgust at Sunday they'd shrug it off and say oh well we won them the cup last year. And I think that's kind of what Rodgers is getting at.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Rodgers says there's players who think the FA Cup was the pinnacle and its like they've achieved all they can here. But I actually get the feeling when it comes to doing it for the fans, there's a almost this feeling that we should have just been grateful for what we have had in the last few years and we have no right to moan about some of the issues we've had.

Its certainly been the view a lot of the time from pundits. It was the response by so many to us falling into 5th both seasons too. 

I genuinely think if you asked most the players about our utter disgust at Sunday they'd shrug it off and say oh well we won them the cup last year. And I think that's kind of what Rodgers is getting at.

....where does the mindset come from!!!

When a manager comes out and says we have over achieved and supporters have little reason to boo his players, that only tells his staff that what ever rubbish that they put out on the pitch, is our level, and he has no expectations of anything more. Yet he now comes out saying, his players think they have made it and showing little or no sign of  hunger to achieve, but he has previously told them, that they have already over achieved. Rodgers, which one is it!!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steve Agnew said:

Agree with this. I respect Rodgers for being one of our best managers in terms of success on the pitch. However I was Rodgers out as soon as he begin the narrative about overachieving and being past our peak.

Any manager saying that to his players must go. Vichai had high aspirations for this club and would not have tolerated that kind of attitude.

As fans of course we can be realistic and don’t expect to win all the time. However we want the players to believe they can beat anyone, be positive and give everything.

I noticed shortly after Rodger’s comment on overachieving that Perez was also spouting the same line in the media. Proof that the mentality had taken root.

I suspect that Rodger’s is using the overachieving narrative and now blaming players to protect his own reputation. His actions are not in the best interests of the club. It’s pretty serious stuff.

This.. For a manger to be using terms like overachieving and being past your peak is rather bizarre, he should be inspiring the players to push themselves more on a regular basis, and achieve their absolute best. You don’t get a holiday just because we won something last season 

2 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Which players from the team that played on Saturday is Rodgers alluding to?

I can only think he means Amartey and Soyoncu.

Ward - not regular enough to judge.

Justin - just coming back from injury.

Thomas - youngster with promise.

Ndidi - maybe.

Tielemans- his coach on the pitch.

Maddison - been doing well lately.

Kelechi - actually held the ball up well.

Barnes - youngster with promise.

Lookman - maybe but on loan in any event.

Dewsbury-Hall - a lot of promise.

Ricardo - coming back from injury.

Daka - a lot of promise.

There may be a few on the bench, but we shouldn't go there because whatever he, us may think, they weren't responsible for Saturday.

It may be telling re. who he drops, but then again he may be forced to still play some he'd like to have dropped through a lack of options.

Edited by Twitcher

7 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Ndidi - maybe.

Daka - a lot of promise.

There may be a few on the bench, but we shouldn't go there because whatever he, us may think, they weren't responsible for Saturday.

It may be telling re. who he drops, but then again he may be forced to still play some he'd like to have dropped through a lack of options.

Tielemans more than anyone - he's been shocking and more importantly looks like he doesn't want to be here. You say coach on the pitch but he come off the earliest in his whole career.

Barnes too. Linked with a big move and hasn;t done much since

Soyuncu too. Absolute bullshit for ages and doesn't seem interested in getting stuck in at all for the cause.

Ndidi he praised in one interview, i dont know why, but he wasn't taking aim at him.

21 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

In all fairness on this, he wanted both as cover. And no one was turning their noses up at a former Champions League winner and solid former England international signing for us as cover when we had a couple of players ahead of him anyway once Justin came back. Likewise Vestergaard was by Rodgers own admission not brought in to play as much as he had. I mean, we could have been forced to play one of the youth players for over 10 games if we hadn't signed him. Okay some might say that would have been better, but don't tell me you wouldn;t have signed him for a relatively modest fee as cover.

In hindsight they've both been truly awful and i don't defend either of them. I just think it's easy to look back like this and not look at the whole picture as it was at the time.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Tielemans more than anyone - he's been shocking and more importantly looks like he doesn't want to be here. You say coach on the pitch but he come off the earliest in his whole career.

Barnes too. Linked with a big move and hasn;t done much since

Soyuncu too. Absolute bullshit for ages and doesn't seem interested in getting stuck in at all for the cause.

Ndidi he praised in one interview, i dont know why, but he wasn't taking aim at him.

I still think if he had a straight choice of being able to keep, or get rid of Tielemans and Barnes, he'd keep both, so I don't think he's referring to them.

It might depend on whether he's referring to ability or attitude. He obviously won't name names. I suspect he's just made a sweeping statement.

9 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

I still think if he had a straight choice of being able to keep, or get rid of Tielemans and Barnes, he'd keep both, so I don't think he's referring to them.

It might depend on whether he's referring to ability or attitude. He obviously won't name names. I suspect he's just made a sweeping statement.

Exactly. "The Envelope Principle"

Edited by SO1

32 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Ndidi - maybe.

Daka - a lot of promise.

...the game was actually played on Sunday!!!

As for the players you think it maybe, I believe it is a blanket shout out to the team, he sees this as possibly the first part of motivating the players without singling anyone out. I would suspect the nature of the players also has engendered a closeness and if he attacks one player then he will get an adverse reaction from the rest.

We are actually at a point where if you are having problems with certain players you need to address that and make it known. If you want to change the dynamics of this squad whether you name them or marginalise them it will be obvious who they are.

You need to be a big man to do what you need to do, cowardly tainting all the players with the same brush, is just his level.

19 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

To me he wasn't saying to the players in question "i want you to go", in Youri's case it doesn't even matter because he's off. He said players think they're ready to join big clubs and on this evidence they aren't. Then praised players at big clubs because they don't drop off and down tools. That is Youri down to a tee and he was subbed off. What more evidence could you want really?

Likewise Barnes has been tipped for Liverpool and is nowhere near that standard. Not only that but he did nothing to help defensively, and yet again was subbed off.  

Edited by Gamble92

10 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

To me he wasn't saying to the players in question "i want you to go", in Youri's case it doesn't even matter because he's off. He said players think they're ready to join big clubs and on this evidence they aren't. Then praised players at big clubs because they don't drop off and down tools. That is Youri down to a tee and he was subbed off. What more evidence could you want really?

Likewise Barnes has been tipped for Liverpool and is nowhere near that standard. Not only that but he did nothing to help defensively, and yet again was subbed off.  

He said "time could be up" for some, and talked about some thinking that having won the F.A. Cup already, that will effectively do.

I'd see that as a pop at those with limited ability and ambition, and not those who aspire to go on to bigger clubs and win a lot more. 

It may be as you say he's frustrated with those who he knows will have bright futures elsewhere, but aren't currently putting it in for him. Who knows? As has been said, it's possibly a shot across everyone's bows; those that aren't good enough, and those that are good enough but aren't performing.

Rodgers never admits his own mistakes. It is always someone else’s fault. Now as we clearly had a stronger team than Forest, he blamed the players instead of his tactics and methods.

Mentality is something that comes from the top, ie. him. He needs to review himself first of all why the players make all the mistakes they make. It is him who made them nervous and conservative. Is it him who made things complicated and made it hard to execute? Is it him who put players in the wrong roles? Is it him who encourage players always doing backpasses to the keeper? (Arsenal coincidentally try to never have their CBs pass sideways to their FBs, they rather play it up to the midfielders as passing to the FBs adds pressure if the opposition presses whereas our midfielders who are better ball players are better in beating the press.) Is it his tactics that put the team under pressure? Is it him who would blame players for trying to make a long pass forward? Is it him who puts the players under so much pressure in training that has resulted in them being so injury prone?

The bucks stop with him.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure if Rodgers has ever had to play the hard arse with his players before, assume he must have before, at least once, but I will be interested to see how the players react moving forward. Clearly he is going nowhere, so just hope we and he can invigorate and inspire for the remainder of the season.

Not that clear. He won't have any say in it if the owners want him gone.

Next 2 games are pivotal in Rodgers Leicester career, Sunday’s debacle has left him vulnerable and will have lost him a lot of his previous credit he had in the bank, this has been a poor season and I genuinely believe another bad result/performance against Liverpool and the atmosphere at the West Ham game could turn pretty toxic and as soon as it does I believe Top will act. 

The result and the manner of our exit against one of our local rivals has left Rodgers on the brink and now many fans who still supported him up to that point are beginning to question if he is the right man to take us forward.

The next 5 days could prove to be a watershed for Rodgers, two big performances and results and the tide could yet turn in his favour, 2 bad results and I think it will be the end for him. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Don’t think the Liverpool result will impact anything, but the level of performance should. West Ham might even be the same tbh.

If it’s two humiliations, and the players look disinterested then that’s when the club will get involved in my opinion.

However If it’s two 2-0 losses then i think Rodgers will somehow be let off the hook. Let’s be honest it’ll be more then 2-0 at either match😂

I’d like us to get Potter in and his back room team. Our defensive coach needs changing as soon as possible. A clear out. Also I couldn’t understand why KDH didn’t start against forest and he played Ndidi who would have been tired from the AFCON and all the travelling. AS soon as KDH came on he looked better than Ndidi much more energy. He looked tired and lethargic. This was a bizarre and stupid decision. Porter would cost less than Rogers and he has something to prove that he can win things and be good enough at a bigger club. He won’t win anything at Brighton. 

Edited by Ely fox