Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Question I have is, why does the squad need an overhaul? 

Ive never known a team needing an overhaul after just a few seasons together…. How can it go from two top five finishes, and FA cup, and a charity shield to an absolute bunch of toss incapable or holding a door let alone a lead.

Who carries the can for all of that?  

I think it comes down to a few things. 

Most broadly, our squad unfortunately has virtually no leaders. I don’t think we have a recognisable spine. I’d identify that as being one talismanic centre half, centre mid, forward and goalkeeper. Although we’ve built up a real stock of genuinely talented players, many of them are still young and would benefit from having a real anchor in the middle of the team. A good example would be Van Dijk when he came in at Liverpool. I’m not saying we could acquire a player of that level and I know Klopp had a lot

to do with his development, but he transformed that teams mentality when he came in. We just do not have a real marquee player/core of players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I think it comes down to a few things. 

Most broadly, our squad unfortunately has virtually no leaders. I don’t think we have a recognisable spine. I’d identify that as being one talismanic centre half, centre mid, forward and goalkeeper. Although we’ve built up a real stock of genuinely talented players, many of them are still young and would benefit from having a real anchor in the middle of the team. A good example would be Van Dijk when he came in at Liverpool. I’m not saying we could acquire a player of that level and I know Klopp had a lot

to do with his development, but he transformed that teams mentality when he came in. We just do not have a real marquee player/core of players.

Definitely agree. This team is desperate for a proper leader, the softness comes from the lack of leadership on the pitch, once the heads drop there’s no one to pick them up again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Question I have is, why does the squad need an overhaul? 

Ive never known a team needing an overhaul after just a few seasons together…. How can it go from two top five finishes, and FA cup, and a charity shield to an absolute bunch of toss incapable or holding a door let alone a lead.

Who carries the can for all of that?  

To be fair to Brendan, only 6/18 of yesterday’s squad were signed under his reign (and 3 of those had been scouted before he joined).

Out of our 27 first team players, 9 have been signed by Brendan. The rest were either already here or have been brought through the academy.

When he arrived we had a solid core squad that was able to compete with the big clubs. Clearly, over the last few years, those core players have demonstrated that they are weak mentally.

I’m not suggesting that Brendan should have a squad entirely made up of his signings, but if the spine of the squad which he largely inherited isn’t performing he has every right to ask for a rebuild IMO.

• Like 2

Just now, Pliskin said:

Definitely agree. This team is desperate for a proper leader, the softness comes from the lack of leadership on the pitch, once the heads drop there’s no one to pick them up again. 

But I do believe a lot of this lies with the back room and board. You don’t need me to

tell you that we have made some GLARING errors in recruitment. I think a refresh is due now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

But I do believe a lot of this lies with the back room and board. You don’t need me to

tell you that we have made some GLARING errors in recruitment. I think a refresh is due now. 

Couldn’t agree more. If you look at Rodgers’ signings they have largely been squad players not starting XI (aside from Castagne and Fofana) as he probably felt our starting XI was strong enough and talented enough. He’s been proven wrong this season.

23 minutes ago, dormelcfc said:

The most damning things for me are a few things and makes me believe that Rodgers really isn't getting this back.

1) For the life of me, I genuinely can't remember when we actually played well in a PL game. Man Utd at home potentially, maybe Newcastle but even then those wins were down to the deficiencies of the opponents. It's a worrying run that stretches way beyond the start of this season.

2) I've genuinely not got any idea what our identity under Rodgers is anymore. The fast-paced, dynamic football has gone and I don't even know what we try and do anymore.

3) It appears to me that supporters' enthusiasm has gone (including my own), that's a hard thing to get back. And that's not just because of a tricky run of results, it's the performances served up. 

How long have you been a Foxes ´´fan´´?  Any one giving up on the Club based on this season´s results, may be better off taking out a membership at the Etihad or Klopp Central.   

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

How long have you been a Foxes ´´fan´´?  Any one giving up on the Club based on this season´s results, may be better off taking out a membership at the Etihad or Klopp Central.   

Never said I'm giving up but just from my perspective there's a real lack of excitement in going to games. Doesn't mean I won't go and support the team

2 minutes ago, dormelcfc said:

Never said I'm giving up but just from my perspective there's a real lack of excitement in going to games. Doesn't mean I won't go and support the team

Think Mozart fox miss understood you.

You were really talking about your enthusiasm for the way Brendan is making the players play....dull and boring with no intensity to go out to score, as yesterday substitutions showed he just wanted the players not to get thrashed by defending a one nil loss.

So to compare this season to dear Claudio's fateful season we see

image.png.24c2815e47467ec0a5bb4185b9f70441.png

Although the parallels are stark, we certainly have time before a trigger must be pulled, as it is not as if we have an ideal replacement who need to grab before they are snapped up by someone else.

Edit I realise its not pretty reading by the way

Edited by Dahnsouff

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Although the parallels are stark, we certainly have time before a trigger must be pulled, as it is not as if we have an ideal replacement who need to grab before they are snapped up by someone else.

We're also not near relegation as much as people have said. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Remember Ranieri? You would have been happy to be relegated I take it. 

There's no comparison to Ranieri.

Ranieri's only full season with us was superb. I agree, second season, he was taking us down and I wanted him sacked too.

But Rodgers has delivered consistency and trophies over a longer period.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Why do you think we will be fine? 

Because currently our back 4 are out plus our best striker and this Youri contract crap isn’t helping anyone get him gone. I think we’ll bring in minimum 4 in summer and then we go again. Take anyones main players off them and they’d be doing what we are, struggling. 

The owners aren’t silly that’s why we’ve not blown cash in January and would be paying a massive premium for someone who you probably don’t want come summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Edit I realise its not pretty reading by the way

The performance levels are just as bad - our points based on xG is worse than it was at the time Ranieri was sacked.

As I’ve said elsewhere we’re not in any danger of going down but the underlying stats are atrocious and as bad as they’ve been at any point since 14/15. In fact our xpts per game before we beat West Ham to start the Great Escape was 0.97, we’re at 1.07 this season. And we were adrift at the bottom that year. We are very lucky we’re not in a relegation scrap.

People will say you can’t read anything into xG but this is where it is especially useful - big samples of games and comparing how good we are at the 99.9% of the game that is played before the ball leaves a striker’s boot. 

Just now, ttfn said:

The performance levels are just as bad - our points based on xG is worse than it was at the time Ranieri was sacked.

As I’ve said elsewhere we’re not in any danger of going down but the underlying stats are atrocious and as bad as they’ve been at any point since 14/15. In fact our xpts per game before we beat West Ham to start the Great Escape was 0.97, we’re at 1.07 this season. And we were adrift at the bottom that year. We are very lucky we’re not in a relegation scrap.

People will say you can’t read anything into xG but this is where it is especially useful - big samples of games and comparing how good we are at the 99.9% of the game that is played before the ball leaves a striker’s boot. 

Surely the PPG metric posted above is more useful in determining likely outcome?

Just now, andrewsfoxes said:

52 years for myself and I've had enough this season!

I would imagine you have had much worse seasons in the last 52 vears -  I certainly have.

Anyway, when Big Sam comes in, everything will change for the better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of the biggest reasons some fans are losing the passion, is because we’re largely so god damn awful to watch……

There’s nothing wrong with being dissatisfied when you’re paying good money to watch football. 

This notion of “don’t you remember league one” yes I do, and I ****ing loved it because we smashed everyone and got to see grounds you wouldn’t ordinarily see….

But this is different, I don’t mind losing and struggling if the effort is there and we’re at least attempting to play some exciting football.

Its shocking at the moment and definitely not far from Puel ball. I’m definitely fed up of watching it, there’s nothing happening to get you off your seat.

• Like 4