Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Going off what various journalists have said I think the club plans on giving him the summer as long as we aren’t in relegation trouble before then, but it really does feel like an inevitable Southampton style decline at this point, we have a bit of a clear out, bring in replacements that aren’t quite as good and end up having to sack him anyway, leaving us with an inferior squad and less options where a manager is concerned than we could’ve had. 

• Like 2

Nothing fans hate more than an OK team is there, people hate it when a team is neither good nor bad. Its a bit boring, a bit Everton , who for what seems like centuries have been OK. At the moment we are in that bracket. Will it last forever? Who knows but personally I think its better than struggling at the foot of the table. What it tells me is our players are good but not as good as some imagine. We have the talent side covered but other areas , mental strength, physicality and sheer bloody mindedness are lacking.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No I mean points per game (For the season) and thus far are in no risk of being caught because of the current distribution of PPG, xG is expected goals, no?

Will repeat it here anyway

image.png.01bfa7378b6149d41f2a49cf72ab77d3.png

Lose to WHU (and that's very likely IMO) and we'll be dangerously close to having Palaces PPG. We need a win or a draw really, the rot has got to stop.

14 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

Yeah that FA Cup we won was a total shit show - we were awful 

You'll be saying this when we're battling relegation next season. Things change, football changes, Mourinho was once the best in the world, winning everything and everyone wanted him as manager, but he'd fail to get a gig at a top top club nowdays. Just because someone has won something previously doesn't mean they should be void of any criticism or responsibility.

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Whilst we have been crap, can't help think thing would have been different with a fit Fofana and Evans. 

Last season Liverpool were 30 point worse of with there injuries, which are comparable to ours.

Mate we were awful even with them last season, regularly getting beat by teams we shouldn't have and folding like the bottlers we are. We've got most of our injuries back now and we still look a shadow of our former selves, once Fofana and Vardy are back and we're still playing crap we'll hear excuses like 'They're not fully fit' 'If we had them available all season things would be different'.

I can't comprehend how anyone has watched the last 18 months of football and can still think it's not on Rodgers. Even our two wins against Norwich and Wolves were lucky as ****, balance them out with the unlucky loss against Brighton and we should be dangerously close to relegation. Look at that thread of us bottling leads and stuff. Even at the end of last season we only beat United because they played all the kids, otherwise we'd have lost our last 4 out of our last 5 games and drew the other 1.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Whilst we have been crap, can't help think thing would have been different with a fit Fofana and Evans. 

Last season Liverpool were 30 point worse of with there injuries, which are comparable to ours.

Can't keep using this as an excuse though. It's cost us a Champions League place twice and may well be out of Europe all together next season. 

Injuries are part and parcel of the game and we have to find ways to adapt. The most obvious being a January transfer window where our rivals have strengthened and we've done nothing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I can't comprehend how anyone has watched the last 18 months of football and can still think it's not on Rodgers. Even our two wins against Norwich and Wolves were lucky as ****, balance them out with the unlucky loss against Brighton and we should be dangerously close to relegation. Look at that thread of us bottling leads and stuff. Even at the end of last season we only beat United because they played all the kids, otherwise we'd have lost our last 4 out of our last 5 games and drew the other 1.

That's all been fair but let me ask you, WHY do you think its just on Rodgers, WHY don't you think there is more involved? Or is it as simple as the buck stops with him?

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

What performances this season mean he should stay?!! Genuine question.

We've played well about 3 times ffs lol

As sh*t as we have been, the variation from the transfer policy, Vestergaard, etc, is such a wild change and delivered the square root of cock all, it actually concerns me more (Just because I don`t believe we will go down even with Rodgers)

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lose to WHU (and that's very likely IMO) and we'll be dangerously close to having Palaces PPG. We need a win or a draw really, the rot has got to stop.

You'll be saying this when we're battling relegation next season. Things change, football changes, Mourinho was once the best in the world, winning everything and everyone wanted him as manager, but he'd fail to get a gig at a top top club nowdays. Just because someone has won something previously doesn't mean they should be void of any criticism or responsibility.

Mate we were awful even with them last season, regularly getting beat by teams we shouldn't have and folding like the bottlers we are. We've got most of our injuries back now and we still look a shadow of our former selves, once Fofana and Vardy are back and we're still playing crap we'll hear excuses like 'They're not fully fit' 'If we had them available all season things would be different'.

We were poor last season. Towards the back end of last season it was as bad as it is now, that’s true.

but to say we’ve got all our injuries back is insanity. Just because Ricardo’s on the bench & JJ’s starting doesn’t mean they’re ‘back’.

we’re missing Fofana, Evans, Castagne & Vardy from our first 11, who won’t be properly back firing for a long time. Add to that JJ & Ricardo and we’re still missing over 50% of our side. 

17 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We consistently overperform xg and have done for years. When you have good strikers it doesn't make much sense. Ask Brighton.

Added to that have the previous seasons you mentioned featured as many injuries? 

And then you take Vardy away and all of a sudden we don’t over-perform again. So we’re back to where we were performance wise, which was the original point - xG won’t give you an accurate predictor of where you’ll finish every year or whether you’ll win or lose but it is a helpful qualitative measure of performance especially when you’re talking about a sample size in this case of about 200 games since the end of the 14/15 season.

I’m also not comparing us to Brighton - I’m comparing us to us - we might have consistently over-performed xG but our xG is worse than it has been at any point for 7 years. 

Injuries are of course an explanation as to why we’re struggling, all the xG is doing is putting in context the level to which we’re currently struggling, it’s agnostic to the cause. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You heard owt?

Just what's out there. A lot will depend on how the atomsohere is on Sunday imo. 

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

They would help out defensively but all too often we look totally incompetent going forward.  In the majority of games for too long now, regardless of who our attacking players are, we don't look like a team with any goals in us.  We just don't create enough chances

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

That's all been fair but let me ask you, WHY do you think its just on Rodgers, WHY don't you think there is more involved? Or is it as simple as the buck stops with him?

We've all seen what the squad is capable of, we know Tielemans and Ndidi are world class, we know Vardy is unreal, we know Kasper is a fantastic shot stopper. When I watch games like Liverpool away and I see us winning 3-1, then Rodgers making silly changes for what seems like no reason, then I see us throwing the lead away, I put it on Rodgers. When I see us playing a high line was Spurs or Liverpool with Vestegaard at CB I question Rodgers tactical knowledge and wonder what the hell we're doing. When I see Cags and Amartey pissing about with the ball at the back I question why Rodgers doesn't see they always crumble under pressure like the rest of us, so why do we persist playing it between the back line knowing that we'll **** up and give the opposition a major chance or a goal, this happens at least every other game, if not every game. I question why we can't seem to defend a corner and haven't been able to for 18 months now, it shows no signs of improving, it's getting worse. I question why we seem to walk all the way up the pitch with the ball, get to the box or the byline then pass it back and it end back with the CBs, it can't be the players, it's obviously the tactics and what they've been instructed to do.

We're conceding on average about 2 goals a game, it's relegation stuff, the buck has to stop with the manager mostly, but obviously some of the players should take some of the blame as well, but IMO if we swapped Rodgers for someone else, they'd improve results and the performances within the first few games, it's so bland.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Lose Sunday, Rodgers out and Lucien Favre in initially on a short term contract.

The blokes track record with quickly improving teams and working with academy players and young players is ace.

Yes 🙌 

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

We were poor last season. Towards the back end of last season it was as bad as it is now, that’s true.

but to say we’ve got all our injuries back is insanity. Just because Ricardo’s on the bench & JJ’s starting doesn’t mean they’re ‘back’.

we’re missing Fofana, Evans, Castagne & Vardy from our first 11, who won’t be properly back firing for a long time. Add to that JJ & Ricardo and we’re still missing over 50% of our side. 

The problem is, even with those in our back line we were conceding corners at will, we were making defensive errors etc. If it was a 3 month blip it could be forgiven, but it's been about 18 months or so now, we play well in about 20/25% of our games.

I genuinely fear if we give him the summer and stick with him we'll be going down next year, the Tielemans money will be wasted and we'll be having to get Big Sam or someone crap in as interim next season to try and save us.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, StanSP said:

May be naive of me but when some of the older fans come in and say this is the worst it's been in 50/60/70ish years, I can never believe them lol lol

Just how?! 

People forget mate. Sounds stupid but it's true.

Applies to managers and players, people forget how bad/good they were.

I had someone behind me at Forest on Sunday shout for Shakespeare back as manager. Even if he was joking it made me laugh as he was a shit manager and would have taken us down.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We've all seen what the squad is capable of, we know Tielemans and Ndidi are world class, we know Vardy is unreal, we know Kasper is a fantastic shot stopper. When I watch games like Liverpool away and I see us winning 3-1, then Rodgers making silly changes for what seems like no reason, then I see us throwing the lead away, I put it on Rodgers. When I see us playing a high line was Spurs or Liverpool with Vestegaard at CB I question Rodgers tactical knowledge and wonder what the hell we're doing. When I see Cags and Amartey pissing about with the ball at the back I question why Rodgers doesn't see they always crumble under pressure like the rest of us, so why do we persist playing it between the back line knowing that we'll **** up and give the opposition a major chance or a goal, this happens at least every other game, if not every game. I question why we can't seem to defend a corner and haven't been able to for 18 months now, it shows no signs of improving, it's getting worse. I question why we seem to walk all the way up the pitch with the ball, get to the box or the byline then pass it back and it end back with the CBs, it can't be the players, it's obviously the tactics and what they've been instructed to do.

We're conceding on average about 2 goals a game, it's relegation stuff, the buck has to stop with the manager mostly, but obviously some of the players should take some of the blame as well, but IMO if we swapped Rodgers for someone else, they'd improve results and the performances within the first few games, it's so bland.

Past performance is no guarantee of future form obviously, but it shouldn't drop off quite so badly, that I agree, and I see the evident frustration and why wouldn`t there be.

The Youri situation is arguably nothing to do with Rodgers, and while it is well reported that Schmeichel wants to go for CL before he jacks it in, this seems to have made little difference to his ability to perform (Excludes distribution)  :appl:

But don`t you think the shockingly poor defensive displays this season are understandable, if not forgivable given the injuries to Wes and Jonny, ands it just shows again how poor defensive recruitment has been?

• Like 1