Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers has to go. The over achievement argument is an irrelevant point. This season is beneath us, not in league position necessarily, rather in the way we’ve gotten to that league position. He obviously thinks this is our level, this is acceptable. If he doesn’t think so, and believes his squad is better than the current flim flam performances, he’s contradicting his overachieving comments. Just get out Brendan.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not defending Rodgers here, but Its nice to see how far we've come that being a point below Villa and Palace who are being described as having good seasons is a huge disappointment

Villa replaced their manager because they were doing poorly. Now they're on the up. Palace are a small club so being anything above 12th is a good season for them. 

2 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yes I do. And it’s also bullsh*t. People just parroting what Rodgers has said as if they’re brainwashed by him. 

Remember that kids TV program, The Demon Headmaster where he used to hypnotise his class of kids? 

Someone put it perfectly yesterday;

Overachievement because we’re Leicester City? Maybe, although I don’t remember any other club that emerged from the wilderness ever being branded ‘overachievers’- neither by the media and definitely not their own manager

Overachieving with the quality of our squad? Absolutely not.

Thanks. For sure Brendan does seem to believe his own press. lol

(Napoleon. Complex)

However, couple of points in my personal opinion 

• We are exceeding (position wise) what is historically expected from our sponsorship income, of course, this isn’t factual, merely an indicator
  • Our squad’s overall quality seems to be declining, maybe due to age, poor signings and other factors which could be mismanagement, natural stagnation, boredom, lack of motivation
  • Our squad is not a top 6 squad at this time

But we all have differing opinions on this, often arrived at by personal beliefs on squad quality, past results, desired expectations and tribalism

11 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Yes I do. And it’s also bullsh*t. People just parroting what Rodgers has said as if they’re brainwashed by him. 

Remember that kids TV program, The Demon Headmaster where he used to hypnotise his class of kids? 

Someone put it perfectly yesterday;

Overachievement because we’re Leicester City? Maybe, although I don’t remember any other club that emerged from the wilderness ever being branded ‘overachievers’- neither by the media and definitely not their own manager

Overachieving with the quality of our squad? Absolutely not.

I’d be genuinely interested to know your expectations at the start of each of the last 3 seasons? 

I also keep hearing about the quality of our squad, we undoubtedly have a fantastic starting XI when everyone is fit. 
That’s not in question, I would say a team of

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans

Fofana

Justin

Ndidi 
Tielemans

Maddison

Barnes

Vardy

Daka

Is a threat to anyone in this league, outside of this 11, most of whom have missed games this season , some haven’t played at all. But outside of this, who starts for a team above us in the league currently? 

We’ve got a great starting XI, but our squad isn’t nearly as good as the teams we want to compete with, especially when we are playing twice a week most weeks.

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not defending Rodgers here, but Its nice to see how far we've come that being a point below Villa and Palace who are being described as having good seasons is a huge disappointment

Remembering as well that Palace above us on GD have played 3 more games than us and Villa above us by a point have played a game more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koke said:

Villa replaced their manager because they were doing poorly. Now they're on the up. Palace are a small club so being anything above 12th is a good season for them. 

You're right on both counts, my post was merely showing how the view of the media portrayal of two teams at basically the same points is an interesting comparison. 

1 hour ago, Sk4 said:

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has heightened speculation that his ideal next job will be in the Manchester area after finding a new home in Cheshire's 'football belt'. (Sun)

The report states that he’s moved there for family reasons and doesn’t expand on that ….. unless we know what the ‘family reasons’ are, we can’t know the context.  Anyway, he can share a lift down with kasper ! 

17 hours ago, kingfox said:

“He hasn’t had too many of these spells through his career”

”Leicester have overachieved”

:yawn:

Can’t be bothered to listen to this but based on the quote in the tweet then no manager should ever get sacked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Can’t be bothered to listen to this but based on the quote in the tweet then no manager should ever get sacked.

Soccer Saturday using the same excuse Joe Root used of the bowlers not listening to him. If the players aren't executing his plans correctly or not listening to him the blame falls on him, as a manager if it gets to the stage where he can't influence the squad he shouldn't be in charge. They are trying to use that point to defend him but if anything I think it paints him in a far worse light than any player. 

• Like 3

The media always refuses to see what's in front of them , whether that be managers or players. If they elevate somebody to an elite standard based on a short period of success , they refuse to accept that this may just be temporary. For all we know this may be the end of Rodgers's top period and it is just a long decline now. The media will keep inflating his reputation though , they did it with Harry Redknapp and many others. The Ferguson's of this world who sustain it for twenty years are extremely rare.

3 hours ago, Sk4 said:

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers has heightened speculation that his ideal next job will be in the Manchester area after finding a new home in Cheshire's 'football belt'. (Sun)

It's the Sun ffs.

But, either way, a man buys a house in Cheshire. What's new. I don't know how they keep coming up with it.

Edited by Fox92

They seem to believe football stops after a certain period of time and then everyone should be judged on that alone. He could finish 5th twice and 10-15th for five years in a row and the 5th place finishes will be the norm in their eyes.

Would they say Rodgers is overachieving because he was sacked at the bottom of the Championship 12 years ago? Of course not.

• Like 1

Rodgers has a small squad - by choice.  That's a smaller squad with many out of form players and,  it seems,  players who are not responding to his ideas. Is it his ideas that are wrong, or the way he presents them or the way the payers react to them?  These problems are Brendan's to fix - yet he is unable (- I would get a psychologist in immediately if I were him).

Further, our season was shaped by 3 things:

- the transfer market activity following the fofana injury - two pound shop buys from Southampton (laughing all the way to the bank btw)  . Big mistake Brendan.

- To keep his career hopes alive he has become ultra cautions in selections and game management.

- Rodgers has bling spots in his skill set - eg. he just cannot sort out the defending

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

Interview with Sky to be broadcast in the next few hours:

Brendan Rodgers has admitted "sometimes you have to be harsh to be clear" as the Leicester boss looks to reignite his team's season against Champions League-chasing West Ham.

Leicester finished fifth in the last two seasons but they are languishing in 13th spot on 26 points after 21 matches this campaign ahead of facing the Hammers, live on Super Sunday.

The East Midlands club's hopes of retaining the FA Cup came to a brutal end last weekend after they lost 4-1 at second-tier Nottingham Forest in the fourth round.

Rodgers apologised to supporters following the "embarrassing" loss at the City Ground and the mood did not improve in midweek as they were beaten again, this time in the Premier League at Liverpool.

Leicester have been without key players such as Jamie Vardy and defenders Wesley Fofana and Jonny Evans this season due to injuries, but Rodgers feels he was right to lambast his players as he seeks a reaction against David Moyes' side.

"It's probably the first time I've had to be as harsh as that in all honesty," Rodgers told Sky Sports when reflecting on his withering assessment.

"Sometimes you have to be harsh to be clear. The reality is that this season we've conceded too many goals. The pressing elements of our game haven't been at the levels we'd want them to be. As a team, we haven't defended well enough.

"I've always been honest with the players and I said that to them from the beginning. I'm not going to tell them something in six months' time that I could tell them now.

"A lot of the time, you'll hold back and maybe reflect before coming up with something a few days later but I felt at that moment I needed to say what I said. The players know from day one what I want as I've been with them and I've been looking after them, helping them develop their game.

"Most of them have grown in terms of conditions in their life, better contracts, because of what we've been able to do. If that level drops and the performance levels drop, as the leader you have to tell them."

'I'm sure teams are looking at Tielemans’

The Daily Express reported on Saturday that Youri Tielemans has turned down a new contract, potentially prompting a battle for his signature between Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United.

The Belgian has just under 18 months to run on his current deal and was benched during the midweek 2-0 defeat at Liverpool, sparking further speculation about his future.

Rodgers previously said on Tielemans: "The reality is that he's reached a point where he's going to be attractive for other teams."

Rodgers admitted the 24-year-old could leave in the summer unless he committed his future, and the Leicester boss underlined his belief that a process of rebuilding is needed at the end of the season.

When his quotes on Tielemans' future are put to the Northern Irishman, Rodgers said: "Absolutely, but that can be the same for a number of players in the squad. With his contract running down then I'm pretty sure there will be teams looking at him but I'm also a realist as well.

"We are real as a football club. You'll get people asking if we can hang on to these players for the next six or seven years but the reality is that if a player does really well at Leicester, he may want to leave and move on to another club. For us, it's just about being ready for that."

The long-term ambition is for Leicester to be the ultimate destination for players but even bigger clubs are in a position where they lose their better players.

It is not something that Rodgers shies away from as he approaches his third anniversary at the club.

"The team needs that healthy shake-up," he added. "I believe that when I came into here there was a group of players who were hungry and wanted to prove themselves. We've lost two of those in Harry Maguire and Ben Chilwell but the team have continued to progress.

"From that point, we've won the FA Cup and the players are now in better conditions in their lives which is great. They deserve that, but you've got to keep improving.

"You've got to keep developing but we've not been able to freshen up the team. We've improved the squad, there's no doubt about that, but we have to improve the team.

"Whether that's spending more money to get a different level of player in or bringing in a hungry player who wants to prove a point. It's probably a mixture of both really."

'Still lots for us to play for this season'

Leicester host the Hammers looking to arrest a run of form which has seen them fall off the pace in the race for Europe.

They have won just twice in the Premier League since November and Thursday's 2-0 loss at Liverpool left them 13 points adrift of the top six.

But Rodgers - who is committed to remaining at the club - believes his side can build on the performance.

"I've signed a contract and I intend to stay for the duration of it. Sometimes, football is out of your control but other times, you may feel as if you've reached your maximum. After this season, I've got three years left at Leicester and I would love to see that through.

"We've had a chapter up until this point and I feel that come the summer it could be another exciting period again for us. We have to see this season through and there's still lots for us to play for.

"I'd love the opportunity to rebuild the squad and continue with what has been a great time that I've had here so far."

4 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Interview with Sky to be broadcast in the next few hours:

Brendan Rodgers has admitted "sometimes you have to be harsh to be clear" as the Leicester boss looks to reignite his team's season against Champions League-chasing West Ham.

Leicester finished fifth in the last two seasons but they are languishing in 13th spot on 26 points after 21 matches this campaign ahead of facing the Hammers, live on Super Sunday.

The East Midlands club's hopes of retaining the FA Cup came to a brutal end last weekend after they lost 4-1 at second-tier Nottingham Forest in the fourth round.

Rodgers apologised to supporters following the "embarrassing" loss at the City Ground and the mood did not improve in midweek as they were beaten again, this time in the Premier League at Liverpool.

Leicester have been without key players such as Jamie Vardy and defenders Wesley Fofana and Jonny Evans this season due to injuries, but Rodgers feels he was right to lambast his players as he seeks a reaction against David Moyes' side.

"It's probably the first time I've had to be as harsh as that in all honesty," Rodgers told Sky Sports when reflecting on his withering assessment.

"Sometimes you have to be harsh to be clear. The reality is that this season we've conceded too many goals. The pressing elements of our game haven't been at the levels we'd want them to be. As a team, we haven't defended well enough.

"I've always been honest with the players and I said that to them from the beginning. I'm not going to tell them something in six months' time that I could tell them now.

"A lot of the time, you'll hold back and maybe reflect before coming up with something a few days later but I felt at that moment I needed to say what I said. The players know from day one what I want as I've been with them and I've been looking after them, helping them develop their game.

"Most of them have grown in terms of conditions in their life, better contracts, because of what we've been able to do. If that level drops and the performance levels drop, as the leader you have to tell them."

'I'm sure teams are looking at Tielemans’

The Daily Express reported on Saturday that Youri Tielemans has turned down a new contract, potentially prompting a battle for his signature between Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United.

The Belgian has just under 18 months to run on his current deal and was benched during the midweek 2-0 defeat at Liverpool, sparking further speculation about his future.

Rodgers previously said on Tielemans: "The reality is that he's reached a point where he's going to be attractive for other teams."

Rodgers admitted the 24-year-old could leave in the summer unless he committed his future, and the Leicester boss underlined his belief that a process of rebuilding is needed at the end of the season.

When his quotes on Tielemans' future are put to the Northern Irishman, Rodgers said: "Absolutely, but that can be the same for a number of players in the squad. With his contract running down then I'm pretty sure there will be teams looking at him but I'm also a realist as well.

"We are real as a football club. You'll get people asking if we can hang on to these players for the next six or seven years but the reality is that if a player does really well at Leicester, he may want to leave and move on to another club. For us, it's just about being ready for that."

The long-term ambition is for Leicester to be the ultimate destination for players but even bigger clubs are in a position where they lose their better players.

It is not something that Rodgers shies away from as he approaches his third anniversary at the club.

"The team needs that healthy shake-up," he added. "I believe that when I came into here there was a group of players who were hungry and wanted to prove themselves. We've lost two of those in Harry Maguire and Ben Chilwell but the team have continued to progress.

"From that point, we've won the FA Cup and the players are now in better conditions in their lives which is great. They deserve that, but you've got to keep improving.

"You've got to keep developing but we've not been able to freshen up the team. We've improved the squad, there's no doubt about that, but we have to improve the team.

"Whether that's spending more money to get a different level of player in or bringing in a hungry player who wants to prove a point. It's probably a mixture of both really."

'Still lots for us to play for this season'

Leicester host the Hammers looking to arrest a run of form which has seen them fall off the pace in the race for Europe.

They have won just twice in the Premier League since November and Thursday's 2-0 loss at Liverpool left them 13 points adrift of the top six.

But Rodgers - who is committed to remaining at the club - believes his side can build on the performance.

"I've signed a contract and I intend to stay for the duration of it. Sometimes, football is out of your control but other times, you may feel as if you've reached your maximum. After this season, I've got three years left at Leicester and I would love to see that through.

"We've had a chapter up until this point and I feel that come the summer it could be another exciting period again for us. We have to see this season through and there's still lots for us to play for.

"I'd love the opportunity to rebuild the squad and continue with what has been a great time that I've had here so far."

he is not the one to rebuild the squad - he is just trying to secure his role and wages by having a narrative that the squad needs rebuilding and so the poor performances are not down to him.  He has sloping  shoulders

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

he is not the one to rebuild the squad - he is just trying to secure his role and wages by having a narrative that the squad needs rebuilding and so the poor performances are not down to him.  He has sloping  shoulders

I don't think he's ever blamed anybody but himself. Only recently has he criticised the players publicly.

But he can't win because when he doesn't criticise the players people moan about him not "being honest". But when he does criticise the players, the same people moan that "he's deflecting the blame".

Of course he's manager, so naturally it is his fault, but players do take blame also because a lot of them have not been good enough and/or consistent enough. They need to look at themselves too. For example, we switch to man marking when defending corners but we still concede because Ndidi loses Van Dijk and that's nobody's fault but Nidid's.

Edited by Fox92