Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

We did, the issue being argued here though is should the goal have stood?

Did the ball come into contact with a part of Dawson’s body it is not allowed to? Yes - no goal!

Putting that to one side, and for one minute let’s pretend it’s a clear header.

It is shocking defending, Brendan made the mistake today of bringing Vestergaard on. I see why he did it - it worked fantasticly for 2 years when that player was Wes Morgan. Before this season I can’t think of an equaliser or winner in the last 5 minutes of a game.

The problem Brendan does need to see is Vestergaard is not Wes Morgan - Tielemans for Choudhury might have been a better change.

The other problem we had today was the atmosphere when Vestergaard did come on, I’m watching on tv with the volume down low and you could hear the boos and sense the atmosphere change.

All that said it was a good performance today and showed the players are still behind BR.

But half came in contact with the part of the arm/shoulder you can score with…

The second point you make is the most important. The defending from a set piece was yet again, sh***. 
I must add some balance though to my massive dislike to Rodgers… our goalkeeper is and always has been terrible at commanding his penalty area. He’s partly to blame. 
Carragher also said no one was aggressive enough, no one wants to defend and go and head the ball (except N’Didi perhaps).

Your point about the players being behind Rodgers, I didn’t see it like that. What I saw was a lucky pen, thanks to cresswell elbowing the ball away, and from that, the fans getting the atmosphere back which has been massively lacking, seemed to inspire the players and hopefully make them realise we haven’t completely given up… especially on them. 

I’m done with Rodgers, have been for a while, and I’m not for turning…

• Like 2

The first half was an alarming glimpse into the future. Sterile, ambitionless football AT HOME. No shot on goal until the 37th minute. This is an expensive, time consuming day for many of us and I want to see an attempt to use the full length of the match to attacking and getting forward. 

The second half was better and then he had to bring on another centre-back which barely ever ****ing works.

But my God, that first half. That minute and a half of passing backwards and sideways and getting nowhere. Wow.

• Like 2

What a strange game, after 37 minutes you could feel the atmosphere was on verge of turning and could have got toxic and all of a sudden the players seemed to stop playing turgid tippy tappy sideways football and actually play with urgency. We were so passive in that first phase, little or no aggression and we just seemed to sit back, as soon as we pressed and played with higher tempo we looked like the Leicester of old.

Youri was unbelievable today backed up by KDH and Barnes who was unplayable at times, I also thought the back 4 were excellent and did a great job of nullifying West Ham going forward, so I was perplexed by Brendan’s change of shape which only disrupted us and gave West Ham the initiative. He cost us 2 points and the damage to an ever diminishing confidence could be massive.

Yet again his ability to break players comes to the fore again but his supporters will continue to defend him based on the players missing….. if he didn’t miss manage so many then maybe we wouldn’t have this horrendous injury record.

I don’t think he will lose his job off the back of this result but I hope our powers at be know enough to realise today is on him, pressure is on to get a positive result on Thursday, anything but a convincing win and I think the pressure will continue to crank up on him.  

• Like 1

Watching our two CBs today gave me a bit of sympathy for him. There was one bit where Cags just headed it straight up in the air. Another where Amartey completely free and with time headed it straight to the West Ham man. It happened a few times today and has happened throughout the season. They can be decent but they’re not the smartest of players. Which is why Jonny Evans is such a massive loss to us. He educates them repeatedly on the pitch. 

However, where that sympathy decreases is when we concede goals like our first. So many times this season we have been caught with a high line. Ok we’ve had injuries but why do we have two ways of playing either the highest of high lines with two players who struggle with positioning generally or performing in a unit. Or the deepest of lines against the bigger teams where we struggle to get out. Why does the manager not adapt ? I know it’s difficult to make small changes which may reflect the style but the amount of injuries we’ve had this year suggest it’s needed. It’s like we are missing one key player back there. We are 3/4 massively key players and that’s not easy but every week we do the same thing. It was a long ball that took out our entire team. That’s not on. 

Ive given up hoping he can sort the corner issue but just this high line with mediocre 3/4/5 choice defenders is alarming how he continues to ignore our shortcomings. 

• Like 1

I know its probably against a managers code or something but I would love to get the insight of another top manager watching our games to see what they would say about Rogers tactic and decision making. Just to see if we are all just crazy and don't see the genius in Rogers. Not former players but real accomplished managers that are past task masters. 

• Like 1

That explanation about Vestergaard is ridiculous. They throw Dawson up, surely in theory that gives us a better chance of getting a 3rd on the break no?

This is precisely the issue with him. He's fundamentally negative. Maintain the initiative!!!

I think he's been pound for pound the worst manager in the league this season. At best, on a par with the likes of Farke, Steve Bruce and Benitez. Move him on before this turns really ugly.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Watching our two CBs today gave me a bit of sympathy for him. There was one bit where Cags just headed it straight up in the air. Another where Amartey completely free and with time headed it straight to the West Ham man. It happened a few times today and has happened throughout the season. They can be decent but they’re not the smartest of players. Which is why Jonny Evans is such a massive loss to us. He educates them repeatedly on the pitch. 

However, where that sympathy decreases is when we concede goals like our first. So many times this season we have been caught with a high line. Ok we’ve had injuries but why do we have two ways of playing either the highest of high lines with two players who struggle with positioning generally or performing in a unit. Or the deepest of lines against the bigger teams where we struggle to get out. Why does the manager not adapt ? I know it’s difficult to make small changes which may reflect the style but the amount of injuries we’ve had this year suggest it’s needed. It’s like we are missing one key player back there. We are 3/4 massively key players and that’s not easy but every week we do the same thing. It was a long ball that took out our entire team. That’s not on. 

Ive given up hoping he can sort the corner issue but just this high line with mediocre 3/4/5 choice defenders is alarming how he continues to ignore our shortcomings. 

I’ve not turned to the Rodgers out camp yet but your point on a high line I completely agree with. If you watch the game back, West Ham played a very deep line even when they were 2-1 down as they know we can be a threat on the counter.

West Ham’s entire style of play is counter attack so I’m surprised we didn’t sit deeper tbh.

8 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Agreed . Bowen is in good scoring form but he’s certainly not the quickest around  but made our lot look as if they’re running in treacle 

He has a negative mindset, I don't think he's always been like that, but does it when he's under the cosh or the pressure is on. We had a pretty good record of seeing games out up until the last few months. First goal usually meant a win. Bring on Vestergaard just made the whole place nervous, did it make a difference? Maybe not because we'd probably conceding from the corner anyway. A better manager brings on a player who can keep the ball, certainly doesn't take one off, win free kicks etc. Took the only players we have capable of that off. 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

That explanation about Vestergaard is ridiculous. They throw Dawson up, surely in theory that gives us a better chance of getting a 3rd on the break no?

This is precisely the issue with him. He's fundamentally negative. Maintain the initiative!!!

I think he's been pound for pound the worst manager in the league this season. At best, on a par with the likes of Farke, Steve Bruce and Benitez. Move him on before this turns really ugly.

Don’t understand how it even makes a difference - Dawson was going up for every corner and free kick during the game too.

Just because he stayed up front during the end doesn’t warrant any more height needed up front - he’d been dealt with during the game.

Its not like they brought a lump on up top and we matched it - that decision just is baffling.

I’m done with Brendan now.

He is suppressing our team and attacking players, imagine not wanting to try and score more goals, depressing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Said it for a coupe of weeks now, give him the summer with a transfer kitty, and this goes full Peter Taylor again.

It scares the life out of me

There’s a big difference between now and then. Taylor identified the targets and wasted the club’s money on them.

Our very good recruitment team have already identified the targets we want. All Rodgers can do is say yes or no.

There are exceptions obviously, such as when your best young defender is a victim of assault on the eve of the season, and panic sets in…

21 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Said it for a coupe of weeks now, give him the summer with a transfer kitty, and this goes full Peter Taylor again.

I'm 100% with you, our form will get worse and I've no faith in him with signings, we'll be fighting relegation next season unless he's moved on before the start of it.

Being tall doesn't mean you are automatically good in the air. Likewise, being smaller doesn't mean you are useless in aerial duels- two of the best headers of the ball I've seen were Muzzy Izzet and Iain Hume- both probably a foot shorter than Vestergaard but used timing and desire to compensate. Ricardo's header was great due to those things I've mentioned.

If he was that concerned about height in the box late on chuck Choudhury/ Mendy in the middle and move Ndidi back. 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm being simplistic, but surely we just needed to keep playing football for 90-95 mins  leave Madders and Tielemans on the pitch and maybe refresh with Iheanacho up front as Daka looked exhausted.

I've got a lot of respect for Brendan, However, with the current squad trying to park the bus bringing on late defensive substitutions based on size simply isn't working. 3 injury time goals conceded in 3 games.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

This….. if the chatter is true, and Brendan overruled the recruitment team with Perez, Vesty, Bennet and Bertrand….. then there is absolutely no way he can be trusted with rebuilding this team. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

He has a negative mindset, I don't think he's always been like that, but does it when he's under the cosh or the pressure is on. We had a pretty good record of seeing games out up until the last few months. First goal usually meant a win. Bring on Vestergaard just made the whole place nervous, did it make a difference? Maybe not because we'd probably conceding from the corner anyway. A better manager brings on a player who can keep the ball, certainly doesn't take one off, win free kicks etc. Took the only players we have capable of that off. 

It was comical to take of Tielemans for Vestegaard you have to laugh and cry at the same time 🙁  , was Tielemans fatigued and he couldn’t play a further 6 minutes just seemed such a stupid decision, Rodgers is fully to blame for that.

I'm taking comfort in the fact the club refused to go and get him another centre half last month even though we so desperately need one and that our season is done as a result of the state of us. I'd not be surprised to see the club quickly plotting for a future without him, hopefully he walks but he won't do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm taking comfort in the fact the club refused to go and get him another centre half last month even though we so desperately need one and that our season is done as a result of the state of us. I'd not be surprised to see the club quickly plotting for a future without him, hopefully he walks but he won't do.

Can’t see him going anywhere. Once everyone is back we’ll be fine.

• Haha 1