Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

47 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

In fairness, people are basing their opinions on Rodgers's previous jobs, which I think is completely reasonable. That was a huge thing which turned me when it came to Claudio. There was a clear pattern throughout his career of his teams going on horrid runs and him being sacked after one year and a half into the job. 

He’s only been sacked once right?

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

But it’s not 10 games is it? 

It’s the past 12 months at the very least.

The first notable downturn in performances actually started at home to Everton with the Nacho VAR goal. That was 2.5 years ago. Clearly for a period of time after that game, there were more good performances than bad.

But people are seriously fooling themselves if they think the ‘Rodgers out’ brigade are kicking up a stink over 10 games.

Yep as I’ve said loads of times before I’ve been Rodgers out for 2 years 🤣🤣 but know I was in a minority. 
Again my reasons for not wanting him is more down to his playing style and what he stands for… so many coaches who are obsessed with passing for the sake of passing, wanting to be the next Barcelona… well the Barcelona of old. I want managers to have more than 1 plan, or style, otherwise it becomes way too predictable. 
You’ll find the odd team here and there who can be predictable in their playing style, like a Man City or Bayern, because they have the players to kill teams. We don’t… we should be trying to find the weakness in the opposition to take advantage of, but week in, week out, it’s the same old dross, sticking to Rodgers principles thinking we are better than everyone else. We end up being the ones punished through our weaknesses. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Yep as I’ve said loads of times before I’ve been Rodgers out for 2 years 🤣🤣 but know I was in a minority. 
Again my reasons for not wanting him is more down to his playing style and what he stands for… so many coaches who are obsessed with passing for the sake of passing, wanting to be the next Barcelona… well the Barcelona of old. I want managers to have more than 1 plan, or style, otherwise it becomes way too predictable. 
You’ll find the odd team here and there who can be predictable in their playing style, like a Man City or Bayern, because they have the players to kill teams. We don’t… we should be trying to find the weakness in the opposition to take advantage of, but week in, week out, it’s the same old dross, sticking to Rodgers principles thinking we are better than everyone else. We end up being the ones punished through our weaknesses. 

Completely agree

I too have found his football the last 2.5 years by and largely boring. 63 passes where one would’ve sufficed. 

Try telling people this though, they’ll parrot that ‘the game has changed’ (it really hasn’t)

They’re usually the same people who parrot the stuff Rodgers spouts too.

They’re usually found watching Sky Sports News 24/7

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, kristianity77 said:

If you take the last 38 league games we've played, we've amassed 51 points.  27 from 22 this season.  And 24 from 16 from the back end of last season.   

1.5 pts per game for the last 16 of last season

1.22 pts per game so far this season.

The 1.5 of those last 16 games was considered a huge slump in form compared to what we had gotten from the other 22 games of last season  ( 42 points from 22, 1.90 points per games) which is why we spectacularly again, dropped out of the top 4.

The signs say, and have said for 18 months, that we are slowly over time getting worse, and continue to do so.

The trend is just a continued, downward trajectory.

We should stop knee jerking though. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

If you take the last 38 league games we've played, we've amassed 51 points.  27 from 22 this season.  And 24 from 16 from the back end of last season.   

1.5 pts per game for the last 16 of last season

1.22 pts per game so far this season.

The 1.5 per game for those last 16 games was considered a huge slump in form compared to what we had gotten from the other 22 games of last season  ( 42 points from 22, 1.90 points per games) which is why we spectacularly again, dropped out of the top 4.

The signs say, and have said for 18 months, that we are slowly over time getting worse, and continue to do so.

The trend is just a continued, downward trajectory.

This is the troubling thing. Rodgers always self proclaimed that he usually has better second halves to his seasons. It has all but been proven to be a myth at least here at Leicester. He said it for both the seasons we missed out on top 4, and both times we slipped to very poor runs of form. God help us if we slip to a worse form compared to the first half of this season. 

4 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

In some people’s mind I feel BR’s achievements are clouding their judgement on how shit we’ve been for the best part of a year. 

Maybe an element of that but definitely more of what I said happening though.

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Trying to think of core players that Rodgers has signed since he came here. Fofana , who was the most expensive teenage defender in PL history and James Justin, his one true bargain. Otherwise we have a whole group who are not among the first names on the team list, Perez, Praet, Vestergaard, Castagne, Bertrand, Soumaré and even Daka. Arguably he has strengthened our bench but the main men all precede him coming.

....if I recall, Rodgers emphasised that 9 of the players on the park were not his players!!!

After 3 years, only 2 of his players were in the first team starting eleven.

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He would make the excuse that he didn't have the budget to attract the highest class players but we had one of the highest net spends last summer. I am pretty sure though that in most debates with Rodgers he would win. He is indeed world class at that.His eloquent tongue though does not win matches.

We were 7th summer 2021, 19th summer 2020, 14th summer 2019

So not one of the highest last summer or since he has been here.

I have to admit its not easy finding quality in the market no matter how much scouting you do. Although we have had some success its been balanced by comparative disappointment. We need to be a lot more careful with our money. Of course why should our competitors let us have their best players , we can't overpay and bribe like the monied clubs can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lcfceaves said:

Out of interest what managers that don't play the boring possession based football that you talk of, have more than 1 way of playing that you can think of?

I'd argue Rodgers has shown he can mix it up, please see how he completely changed our approach last season vs the big 6 after having a pretty poor record vs them in 18/19 and 19/20 playing the same way as he set us up against most teams. We went on to beat every one of them at least once last season.

My gripe with him is he doesn't know when to mix it up or tinkers needlessly but maybe that's the issue with a manager who will change it and then get in the way of himself and make the wrong calls under pressure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I have to admit its not easy finding quality in the market no matter how much scouting you do. Although we have had some success its been balanced by comparative disappointment. We need to be a lot more careful with our money. Of course why should our competitors let us have their best players , we can't overpay and bribe like the monied clubs can.

.  there is a lot of very attainable talent out there, we have just not picked them up due to the quality we had in those positions!!!

We just do not have the pull or money, to hoard up and coming talent.

Just looking around other clubs they have picked up wonderful talent for under £20m. Just looking at posters suggesting players they would like to see come in and we could pick most up for £15m or less.

We are not buying, as good as we were.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

More than 10 games of poor results though isn't it?

Not just the results either, it's the boring tedious style of play and having no gumption to change on a long term basis. 

We get teased with the occasional brilliant quick passing, one touch move, which shows just how good the team we have is, when allowed to express themselves. 

But for the most part it's predictable, pedantic, pedestrian, poke your own eyes out football. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Out of interest what managers that don't play the boring possession based football that you talk of, have more than 1 way of playing that you can think of?

I'd argue Rodgers has shown he can mix it up, please see how he completely changed our approach last season vs the big 6 after having a pretty poor record vs them in 18/19 and 19/20 playing the same way as he set us up against most teams. We went on to beat every one of them at least once last season.

My gripe with him is he doesn't know when to mix it up or tinkers needlessly but maybe that's the issue with a manager who will change it and then get in the way of himself and make the wrong calls under pressure.

Ok so other than playing against the ‘top 4’ I don’t see a change in approach against the rest. You don’t play the same way against Brighton as you do Burnley for example… or perhaps you think we should but maybe 30 mins in you think ‘this isn’t working’ … so at half time let’s change it up. I just don’t ever feel like I’m watching anything different, and in the match analysis by the experts, they say the same thing each week (especially on set pieces…)

It doesn’t have to be a big change, it can be subtle. 
I think an interview with Rodgers has deep rooted itself in my brain and made me ‘spikey’ towards him ever since… it was along the lines of “we will look at the opposition, but always play our own game and work on our style each week on the training pitch”. Ok get that, but the way it came across was “I don’t care about the opposition, we will persist in doing the same thing each week”

I just didn’t like it and can’t say I’ve loved the ‘Rodgers way’ ever since. 

Edited by lcfceaves
  • Like 1