Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

On 18/05/2021 at 08:58, Koke said:

Rodgers is a far better manager and coach than O'Neill ever I was. I loved O"Neil, he plucked players from Crewe and Oxford and Port Vale, and turned them into top 10 Premier League players and cup winners. So full respect to Martin. But Rodgers is on another level. Also, the football is far more aesthetically pleasing now. I can't imagine Rodgers putting Soyuncu up front as a striker when we need a goal.

.. perhaps he should !!!

A totally different time and style of football and MON had us playing the best we could, with what we could afford.

Robbo did the training and MON did the motivation part and that worked for us.

Edited by sacreblueits442

11 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Haven't been through all the posts but I'm not really seeing anyone say anything other than he got the team selection wrong and made a big mistake by not changing it earlier? And that these are his big limitations.

Don't think it's up for debate that he's done a great job here and winning the FA cup is what he set out to do but that doesn't mean you couldn't be frustrated that he contributed to a defeat in a big game and that he still hasn't learned from this type of mistake. The encouraging thing is that he has definitely developed as a manager this season so hopefully next year he can continue to work on these flaws.

Maybe you're not in this camp but I think that failure to get top 4 will take the gloss of the cup win for many which makes it all the more annoying that the final wasn't the last game of the season because then nobody would care.

Take the gloss of the F A Cup win because we can't gain extra revenue from entering a competition we are never going to win , says it all really about today's mindset.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Yeah you're not wrong there.

However Kane plays for Spurs who, in part due to their regular Champions League outtings are frequently referred to as part of the 'big 6'.

It's about longevity and establishing ourselves at the top. A cup win won't do that, just ask Wigan Athletic.

Wigan aren't a great comparison though are they. Historically a small side who achieved wonders to get into the top flight.

But go and ask a Wigan fan if they'd swap winning the FA Cup? They won't. It was their greatest ever day.

Also ironic bringing up Kane considering he's leaving to win trophies. Yes, leaving a club who consistently play CL and even got to a final.

• Like 1

I’ve got a horrible feeling Rodgers might take the Spurs job. I can’t quite put my finger on it but something about the way he speaks about us in the passive voice sometimes. Hopefully it IS just three latter and I’m being paranoid!

6 minutes ago, jerry said:

Take the gloss of the F A Cup win because we can't gain extra revenue from entering a competition we are never going to win , says it all really about today's mindset.

Nothing will ever take the gloss off winning the FA Cup. How can it. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

People look sooooo into a game it's unreal. It's why football is the best sport. 

But Chelsea had more motivation than us tonight. Amartey's stupid antics with their banner, losing the FA Cup final in the way they did, fans back in the stadium. They were always going to be so pumped up for this game, and they were. 

As much as we managed the ball really poorly in the first half, they were absolutely excellent. There's very little any manager could've done about that. My one criticism of Rodgers would be him not changing it at half time, though. 

I don't even think it was motivation rather just a much bigger squad. We were much more tired. They had a lot more chances and were amped on by the crowd, and we had no crowd and due to our lack of depth, we had to basically play the same team as Saturday. Chelsea are still a very very poor side. 

As I’ve said a few times this season we’ve come on leaps and bounds from last season, some people thought we were fantastic last season, I begged to differ we were largely too slow, too passive and still far too much sideways and backwards stuff.

This season we learnt and moved on from that, we’ve had our moments but there’s been far less of it in the main. We learnt, that’s all I ask.

I ask for us to learn again, what’s cost us is when we’ve played like that on a few occasions, failure to address and change it during games.

Last night was another game where we were hardly in it.

We couldn’t have any much more go in our favour other than the referee randomly awarding us a goal.

On more than a couple of occasions this season we’ve gone into gave to passive, too slow, too much sideways and backwards and only decide to wake up and go for it once we go a goal down, then we actually wake the **** up and go forward, try but usually by then it’s too little too late.

The FA Cup and Europa league I’ll take (I have no other option really! It is what it is). It’s a trophy we’ve longed for,  it’s success, it’s progression, and a very good season all in all.

However you also can’t hide away from the fact we’ve been in the top 4 for pretty much the whole on 2 seasons except the 2 weeks that count - the final week of both season which is quite simply sickening and disgusting.

For me it’s quite easy to pinpoint where it’s gone wrong and it’s no coincidence the way we played in those games we can pinpoint have cost us.

The worry is it can all quite easily fall apart, Champions League somewhat secures us abit, (more so than our drop off in successive seasons it goes without saying) helps us keep players, helps us attract players, failure to do so means things can go either way and in the last 2 seasons we’re not going to have a better opportunity, these big clubs are only going to wounded and able to compete with for so long, we need to seize our moment of which we threw 2 glorious chances away.

As I’ve said certain players here don’t really care if we make champions league or not in some way it actually harms their career as they will have their eye on the big clubs, they’ll get their moves, same goes with Rodgers - that doesn’t mean our drop off is on purpose or they’re not trying but it ultimately doesn’t matter to them or not if we make Champions League.

The FA Cup sweetens the sour taste for this seasons drop off compared to last season’s drop off but only just.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Think he just overthought it a bit last night. He's guilty of that sometimes but who cares after the weekend. 

More highlights how desperate we are for a proper number 10, when we play 2 of them and we still can't create anything from that position.

...unless you can keep hold of the ball and have supporting players around you, you are going to struggle to create or affect the game!!!

If you put Maddison in a team that can dominate the ball then you will see a different player. It would have been interesting if Maddison was in Mount's position.  Anytime  Maddison leaves, he will elevate his game to a different level, just because of the players around him.

The midfield was our problem and Rodgers using two light weight players in there did not help.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...unless you can keep hold of the ball and have supporting players around you, you are going to struggle to create or affect the game!!!

If you put Maddison in a team that can dominate the ball then you will see a different player. It would have been interesting if Maddison was in Mount's position.  Anytime  Maddison leaves, he will elevate his game to a different level, just because of the players around him.

The midfield was our problem and Rodgers using two light weight players in there did not help.

So it was Youri and Ndidi's fault we didn't create? Ndidi who assisted the goal sorry? 

Interesting in last nights commentary to hear that tuchel levels with reporters about his own mistakes that may have contributed to poor results. 

Managers who dont recognise their own errors will not progress.  Imo being open about their own errors will orobable go down well with fans.

To be clear though, some managers may have cognitive dissonance.... so that they dont recognise their errors or learn from them.

I hope that Rodgers recognises his errors.. I would like it if he shared his assessment with us.

I was worried when filling the Newcastle game he just pointed to errors by young players...

As fans we have our own views on decisions (eg should maddison be starting... or nacho?) And we are frustrated when things dont go well... or when Rodgers fiesnt change things quick enough.

(Nb. Puel did chsngevtjibgs at all during a game).

The only measure is the success of the club.   Rodgers has progressed the club... we are fighting in the top 6 and have won the fa cup.  

I would like him to level with us... but maybe he needs to have a bit more success to be co student to do so

2 hours ago, casablancas said:

I know one thing for sure. Saturday 15th May 2021 will be a day that lives on forever. The game we lost to Chelsea a few days later and maybe dropped outta the top 4 (for the first time in like a year, near enough) will not. I know that when my time comes I’ll remember that Youri goal, that lift, top and all the other emotions. Missing out on top 4 would be long forgotten. Brendan has immortality amongst most fans for this. Alongside a few others. 

Put it this way, had we won last night there wouldn't have been thousands of of people outside the ground celebrating with a bollock-naked guy stood on top of a ticket collection box shagging a traffic cone. There are levels to this. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Line-X said:

He reneged on his contract at Reading to come here but at least instigated the cessation of the Little longball and got us playing some decent passing football to be fair. Having done so he immediately ****ed off in the most underhand way to the supposed sleeping giant in the Black Country, enticed by "the golden tit" Jack Hayward and his supposed bountiful pot of gold. He also plundered Iwan and shafted him too.  Ultimately his tenure at Wolves and managerial positions spanning three decades have amounted to the square root of **** all. Inglorious and ignominious career. 

Didn't we also get a million off them for... I forget the name, some Aussi guy... who was never heard of again?

47 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. perhaps he should !!!

A totally different time and style of football and MON had us playing the best we could, with what we could afford.

Robbo did the training and MON did the motivation part and that worked for us.

Don't forget Steve Walford, he was the brains in a coaching sense of O'Neill's operation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Spurs who are about to lose Kane because they don't win anything and Spurs are are regularly derided by everyone for not winning anything.

Yeah champions league football regularly would help the club no end, but we're not going to get it regularly. The second other clubs get their act together we'll drop out because their budgets dwarf ours whether we have champions league or not. 

Kane is too good for Spurs or Leicester. He should be playing for the best team in any of Europe's top divisions.

I'm not saying that getting Champions League guarantees it the following year, and the year after that, and after that. However I fear bottling it two years running does not bode well for keeping our best players and recruiting those top of our list. We'll never know, but it could have a huge bearing on the future trajectory of our club.

Get into the Champions League this year and there's no reason we can't regularly compete for top 4 and achieve it maybe every other season. Okay so our budgets aren't quite the same as our competitors, but so what? We've demonstrated over the last 2 seasons that we can sit in the top 4 all season regardless.

Guest Col city fan
44 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Kane is too good for Spurs or Leicester. He should be playing for the best team in any of Europe's top divisions.

I'm not saying that getting Champions League guarantees it the following year, and the year after that, and after that. However I fear bottling it two years running does not bode well for keeping our best players and recruiting those top of our list. We'll never know, but it could have a huge bearing on the future trajectory of our club.

Get into the Champions League this year and there's no reason we can't regularly compete for top 4 and achieve it maybe every other season. Okay so our budgets aren't quite the same as our competitors, but so what? We've demonstrated over the last 2 seasons that we can sit in the top 4 all season regardless.

Great post

About sums it up for me 

👍