Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

On 14/02/2022 at 21:54, bfox said:

Get rid. Not watched a city game in about 3 months for first time in about 10 years due to this fella. 

lol I don't think you can blame him for there being no football between March and June 2020. Probably the one crisis his questionable management of injuries no involvement with.

10 hours ago, Verumex said:

In the interest of stirring the pot, which side of the debate are you comparing to anti-vaxxers? :ph34r:

It was an analogy covering the whole argument, your question sums it up I feel. Unless any on here are Top or members of the board do their opinions really matter 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....if I recall, Rodgers emphasised that 9 of the players on the park were not his players!!!

After 3 years, only 2 of his players were in the first team starting eleven.

The players that he has brought in have generally been worse than the ones we had when he got here other than Fofana.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LC1884FC said:

The players that he has brought in have generally been worse than the ones we had when he got here other than Fofana.

Parallels with his time at Celtic in that sense in terms of recruitment.

Also similar language he's now using as in his latter time at Celtic in trying to shift the responsibility and deflect in that sense.

12 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

Ok so other than playing against the ‘top 4’ I don’t see a change in approach against the rest. You don’t play the same way against Brighton as you do Burnley for example… or perhaps you think we should but maybe 30 mins in you think ‘this isn’t working’ … so at half time let’s change it up. I just don’t ever feel like I’m watching anything different, and in the match analysis by the experts, they say the same thing each week (especially on set pieces…)

It doesn’t have to be a big change, it can be subtle. 
I think an interview with Rodgers has deep rooted itself in my brain and made me ‘spikey’ towards him ever since… it was along the lines of “we will look at the opposition, but always play our own game and work on our style each week on the training pitch”. Ok get that, but the way it came across was “I don’t care about the opposition, we will persist in doing the same thing each week”

I just didn’t like it and can’t say I’ve loved the ‘Rodgers way’ ever since. 

Funny you should mention Brighton, up until this season they had never beaten us and still have only beaten us once. Last season alone our two league games saw an in game shift from Rodgers that meant we won them both. We opted for a back 3 in the home game and were garbage for the 1st 15-20 mins and he flicked it to a back 4 (can't remember if we made a sub) and by half time we were 3-0 up.

Likewise in the away game, we were dog mess 1st half and then 2nd half he made some changes to the system and we won. 

I don't know what on earth has gotten over me but why am I sticking up for Rodgers these past 24 hours? I still see a lot of good in what he has and does do but that's why it's so frustrating how badly he is handling all of this. I think a shake hands and we both go our seperate ways is the most sensible outcome and maybe that will happen this summer regardless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Funny you should mention Brighton, up until this season they had never beaten us and still have only beaten us once. Last season alone our two league games saw an in game shift from Rodgers that meant we won them both. We opted for a back 3 in the home game and were garbage for the 1st 15-20 mins and he flicked it to a back 4 (can't remember if we made a sub) and by half time we were 3-0 up.

Likewise in the away game, we were dog mess 1st half and then 2nd half he made some changes to the system and we won. 

Is that during the long period where he insisted on a back 3 and then kept changing it to a 4 when he realised it was rubbish. For some reason that realisation kept disappearing out his mind at the full time whistle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

So presume he's in charge for tomorrow then. Taking whole family tomorrow so hope the atmosphere doesn't get toxic.

I for one will be serving up some blood thirsty booing for 80 minutes towards the dugout. I say 80 as I'm leaving early to miss the traffic.

• Haha 3

Just now, filbertway said:

Is that during the long period where he insisted on a back 3 and then kept changing it to a 4 when he realised it was rubbish. For some reason that realisation kept disappearing out his mind at the full time whistle.

That was the home game, we'd played a back 3 whilst Ndidi and Soyuncu were out and then the success of it started to wear off and as you say he still persisted with it in late Nov/early Dec but quickly changed it in game as we were muck. Thankfully then as soon as Ndidi was back I think we went back to a back 4 for the Spurs game onwards and between then and mid February we were pretty relentless as a team once again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't know what on earth has gotten over me but why am I sticking up for Rodgers these past 24 hours? I still see a lot of good in what he has and does do but that's why it's so frustrating how badly he is handling all of this. I think a shake hands and we both go our seperate ways is the most sensible outcome and maybe that will happen this summer regardless.

For all the good he’s done its all unravelling because of his innate lack of pragmatism.

He has a very purist view and whilst he does make some changes they all adhere to that view. Its always about keeping the ball and waiting to exploit rather than taking too many risks.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Its understandable, I have looked back at posts I made and considered editing as it seems I hate the guy and just want to attack him, but I do recognise the good he has done here, I just get a bit OTT when i am trying to say its best if we move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I think in terms of his time at Celtic your being a bit OTT. For one Rodgers took the job the year Rangers returned to the top flight so Rangers were in the league the whole time he was here. When he left the league was in the bag by the time he left in February, we were 8 points clear iirc and the lead was growing every week at that point. Had Rodgers stayed Rangers wouldn't have won a trophy while he was still in Scotland, I'm pretty much certain of that. The biggest shot in the arm for Rangers and Steven Gerrard's managerial career was the fact we replaced Rodgers with Lennon.

Although his team were largely the same players as when he arrived, he transformed them completely, most of the players in his team most Celtic fans wanted out the door the year before he arrived. It cannot be discounted that he turned what were prior to him arriving a mediocre bunch of players who were beaten off a tier 2 Rangers side into treble, treble winners and successive Champions League campaigns. Furthermore, the Edouard we initially signed to the one that left us was again transformed as a player which you have to give Rodgers a lot of credit for. Even at that, for the majority of Rodgers time at the club Edouard was a work in progress anyway and largely came off the bench, Dembele, Sinclair and Forrest were the mainstays of our front three for most of his time here. 

I readily bow to your greater knowledge as you are after all our resident Celtic fan and know far more about them than me. I did base some of my opinion on some of what I 'thought' you'd commented on before. In particular what Rodgers inherited player wise when he arrived, the previous scouting performance, to that which took place when Rodgers and Congerton got in the mix.

Again, Rangers may well have just arrived back in the division when Rodgers arrived but they were hardly the foe of old and started to make ground very quick under Gerrard. I remember comparing for example one summer, the players Gerrard had bought in compared to Rodgers who'd spent considerably more. With Gerrard's incomings there seemed a recognisable logic, in Rodger's, not so much. 

I'm sure you're right regarding Lennon, but I also think Rodgers timed his departure just right as the writing was on the wall. If someone was to offer Rodgers or Gerrard as manager of Leicester City at this moment in time, I'd snap their hand off for Gerrard who I believe will go onto good things, I think Rodgers however is extremely limited and has been found out. Time will tell I suppose. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I think going to a back 3 has what has done our defence, it put us under more pressure and we weren't any better at the back for it, we lost attacking momentum because of it and control. The damage was done and going to a back 4 hasn't helped as we've lost the confidence we had

i don't know any statistics but i think we had one of the best goals conceded records in Brendan's first full season.