Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah there's a lot of truth in that in terms of the players Rodgers inherited. That was his biggest achievement, turning a bunch of rudderless, mediocre players into world beaters, in a scottish domestic sense anyway. The bad part of his tenure, as has been the case at all of his clubs, was ripping apart our previously successful transfer model and demanding total control of transfers and bloating our squad with players who never threatened to displace guys who had carried the first team for years. Proof was in the pudding on that one as we never sold a single player on for profit that Rodgers and Congerton were responsible for signing in their time at the club. It's all eerily similar to now at Leicester in that he's relying on largely the same core players as when he arrived.

I'm not being pedantic but I don't agree with they had started to make ground quick under Gerrard. If it weren't for covid stopping the season early when we won 9IAR there was a real possibility that Gerrard would have been sacked or have been mutually consented at the end of that season, Rangers fans had started to get on his back in a big way. Rangers absolutely folded that season and the last game before covid hit they lost 1-0 to Hamilton at Ibrox and there was serious pressure on him.

He was up here three years and won one trophy, any other Rangers manager who wasn't called Steven Gerrard wouldn't have gotten away with one trophy in three years. He had an asbolute open goal at a treble last season and made a mess of it and didn't even get to Hampden in any of the cup competitions. I get the one trophy he did win was a big one to stop us getting 10 in a row so kudos to him for that and if you take a step back you can say he met the one big objective set for him when he became Rangers manage. I don't buy the whole argument that Rangers were in this great mess and Celtic were this juggernaut as 6 weeks before Rodgers arrived Rangers defeated us in the Scottish cup semi final. If you actually look at both managers net spend throughout their time in Glasgow Gerrard has actually spent more on transfer fees than Rodgers.

It's down to personal opinion but Steven Gerrard doesn't come close to being as good a manager as Rodgers for me and had he remained in Glasgow I doubt Gerrard would even have won that single trophy. Also if you watch Gerrard's teams then you'll quickly realise they are pretty turgid to watch, he's by and large a pragmatist in his approach, even Rangers fans would say this a lot. I know Rodgers football has died a death at the moment at Leicester but the first year or so at both Celtic and Leicester his sides played some great football which was a joy to watch.

Really interesting to read and food for thought! Thanks.

• Like 1

In B Rod we trust.  Rogers has turned us into a possession based, technical side who score a lot of goals and in the main are good to watch.  The past two season are the best football I have witnessed any Leicester team play by some distance. He has established us as a top 6/7 team which we never were before and I really feel this reset in expectation (that he has achieved) is the very stick being used to beat him.   I think he has taken a more pragmatic approach this year, probably to offset the inconsistencies of previous seasons and it hasn't worked.  Even with all that we still score a lot goals.  Don't get me wrong I'm still kicking the cat Kurt Zouma style when we concede late goals and throw away victories, but for me if you're winning with 5 minutes to go, then the manager has done his job, it's the players who need to see the win out.  Experienced players like Ndidi and Tielemans need to take more responsibility and be accountable.  The final minutes against Spurs were a shambles, and everyone blames Rogers.  There are experienced internationals on that pitch.  They don't need their hands held and to be talked through how to see out a match.    And I know to that many of you will say well it would help if he didn't bring Vestergaard, and you would be absolutely right to say that, but loads of managers stick with players that are baffling.   Look at Klopp and Dejan Lovren. He stuck with him for two seasons or more.  I think fans need to think carefully about who is around, and who would come in to replace Rogers.  There aren't many great managers around, very few that could take us forward.   He's done a great Job in his spell here.  He deserves time to continue his good work and see what he can do.  Is Rogers perfect - certainly not, but I'm not sure we can do better so let's just get behind him and the boys and enjoy what is a very fruitful period in Leicester's history.  Believe me, this 'success' won't last forever.  Ask Sunderland, Forest, Wednesday....the list goes on. (For the record I don't have a cat - it's a joke) 

9 minutes ago, seanymac said:

In B Rod we trust.  Rogers has turned us into a possession based, technical side who score a lot of goals and in the main are good to watch.  The past two season are the best football I have witnessed any Leicester team play by some distance. He has established us as a top 6/7 team which we never were before and I really feel this reset in expectation (that he has achieved) is the very stick being used to beat him.   I think he has taken a more pragmatic approach this year, probably to offset the inconsistencies of previous seasons and it hasn't worked.  Even with all that we still score a lot goals.  Don't get me wrong I'm still kicking the cat Kurt Zouma style when we concede late goals and throw away victories, but for me if you're winning with 5 minutes to go, then the manager has done his job, it's the players who need to see the win out.  Experienced players like Ndidi and Tielemans need to take more responsibility and be accountable.  The final minutes against Spurs were a shambles, and everyone blames Rogers.  There are experienced internationals on that pitch.  They don't need their hands held and to be talked through how to see out a match.    And I know to that many of you will say well it would help if he didn't bring Vestergaard, and you would be absolutely right to say that, but loads of managers stick with players that are baffling.   Look at Klopp and Dejan Lovren. He stuck with him for two seasons or more.  I think fans need to think carefully about who is around, and who would come in to replace Rogers.  There aren't many great managers around, very few that could take us forward.   He's done a great Job in his spell here.  He deserves time to continue his good work and see what he can do.  Is Rogers perfect - certainly not, but I'm not sure we can do better so let's just get behind him and the boys and enjoy what is a very fruitful period in Leicester's history.  Believe me, this 'success' won't last forever.  Ask Sunderland, Forest, Wednesday....the list goes on. (For the record I don't have a cat - it's a joke) 

We are 13th and slipping further down. 

Sod your entertainment. 

Anyone would think posession and passing % completed would give you an extra point. 

Football is a simple game where you put the ball in their net, and keep it out of your own, we are not selling art here. 

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Sod your entertainment. 

Anyone would think posession and passing % completed would give you an extra point. 

Football is a simple game where you put the ball in their net, and keep it out of your own, we are not selling art here. 

No. But for me it makes it far more worth while if I enjoy the brand of football we are playing though. Just out of interest what would you class as a good season Kilworth fox? Where should we be finishing in your opinion? 

Edited by seanymac

6 minutes ago, seanymac said:

No. But for me it makes it far more worth while when paying if I enjoy the brand of football we are playing though  

There is one fundamental principle in football , stop the opposition scoring. That is the vital component of success. If you can play a bit of entertaining football in doing that , all well and good. We get far too few 1-0 victories. If Rodgers starts delivering these he will recover my respect.

30 minutes ago, seanymac said:

No. But for me it makes it far more worth while when paying if I enjoy the brand of football we are playing though  

You’ve been enjoying this brand of football the last six months?

Itd be much cheaper to go to Soho if you like painful experiences you know. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, seanymac said:

No. But for me it makes it far more worth while if I enjoy the brand of football we are playing though. Just out of interest what would you class as a good season Kilworth fox? Where should we be finishing in your opinion? 

A great season is one where the results achieved in all competitions, are better than the quality of the squad. And a terrible one is the opposite. 

This season we have failed on all fronts.

Should is the word for the idealist. Are you asking me ideally where we would finish? I'd obviously choose champions. 

However I will go back to assess the quality of the squad. The Leicester squad is one full of talented players, above the average of the other 19 teams in the league. 

We are clearly behind Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea. 

However I would suggest that if injuries had not hit our defence especially hard, we would be at the forefront of the next set of clubs:

Manchester United, West Ham & Arsenal. I'd suggest 4th to 7th would be realistic in the League. 

Edited by Kilworthfox

Results have been poor and we have played pretty badly overall but I would stick with Rodgers. We are only mid-table, it's not the end of the world. I think the risk of the club bringing someone awful in to replace him is just too high. Remember Puel.....

5 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

You’ve been enjoying this brand of football the last six months?

Itd be much cheaper to go to Soho if you like painful experiences you know. 

No. As mentioned in my earlier post. Having said that, I don't think it has been anywhere near as bad as a lot of the fans make out on here.  We're still trying to do the right things so far as I'm concerned. I like to see teams dominate the ball and try and play out from the back. If I compare it against previous years, with the exception of 15/16 season I still think it's better standard of football than we've played under any previous manager. .  I like the fact it's a young team trying to play the 'right way' as it were and I think the failure to be consistent is part of the price you pay when you have a young team.   Look I get people's current frustrations, I just can't get on board with the vitriol.   It seems disproportionate to the success of the previous seasons and the fact that at worst we are having a mediocre season.  

'I love the people at the club, I love working with the players here and that's all I will continue to do. I will do that with a smile until someone tells me differently.

And if they do, I will have done my very best with the resources that I have and then I'll move on. But until then I have a big energy for the team, for the club and for my contract.'

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, fredp21 said:

Results have been poor and we have played pretty badly overall but I would stick with Rodgers. We are only mid-table, it's not the end of the world. I think the risk of the club bringing someone awful in to replace him is just too high. Remember Puel.....

I prefer progress than mediocrity and fear. 

If taking a risk is the fear, then I hope the people making the decisions have the backbone to make the calls needed, for Leicester to be progressing. I desire a team to be proud of again. 

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

'I love the people at the club, I love working with the players here and that's all I will continue to do. I will do that with a smile until someone tells me differently.

And if they do, I will have done my very best with the resources that I have and then I'll move on. But until then I have a big energy for the team, for the club and for my contract.'

What absolute garbage. 

Blames everyone but himself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

Sod your entertainment. 

11th.....

I also don’t understand his arrogance. 

The Watford/Norwich game last season was brought up a few months ago in here. 

Being 3-0 up at home at HT, running out 3-0 winners, Rodgers claimed afterwards he was furious at HT as we hadn’t controlled the game, (despite scoring 3 and conceding 0). Yet was happy with the second half because we controlled it. It finished 0-0. What the bloody hell is that all about? 

It reminds me of Chris Tarrant on Millionaire

’Attractive fast paced and free scoring football? We don’t wanna give you that!’ 

His arrogance that day didn’t come back to haunt him, but it most certainly is now. ‘Controlling games’ my arse.

Imagine all the points we might’ve picked up this season had our players not been terrified of a rollicking for scoring goals. We might’ve even beat Legia away too 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I also don’t understand his arrogance. 

The Watford/Norwich game last season was brought up a few months ago in here. 

Being 3-0 up at home at HT, running out 3-0 winners, Rodgers claimed afterwards he was furious at HT as we hadn’t controlled the game, (despite scoring 3 and conceding 0). Yet was happy with the second half because we controlled it. It finished 0-0. What the bloody hell is that all about? 

It reminds me of Chris Tarrant on Millionaire

’Attractive fast paced and free scoring football? We don’t wanna give you that!’ 

His arrogance that day didn’t come back to haunt him, but it most certainly is now. ‘Controlling games’ my arse.

Imagine all the points we might’ve picked up this season had our players not been terrified of a rollicking for scoring goals. We might’ve even beat Legia away too 

Controlling the game is about not letting them back into it, nothing to do with not trying to score more goals. 

Did he shag your missus, mum and gran in a foursome or something?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Controlling the game is about not letting them back into it, nothing to do with not trying to score more goals. 

Did he shag your missus, mum and gran in a foursome or something?

It’s succeeding now isn’t it.

No, but I’m guessing he rescued yours from a hostage siege or something? 

• Haha 3

Wolves are 7th, not bad really. They have scored a massive 21 goals just 40 less than Man.City. How the f**k are they 7th then ,10 points better off than us? 17 goals conceded , 24 less than us. What do we want ? Success or entertainment. There is a real dilemma here because I don't see how we can have both. As I have said we need a string of 1-0 victories. The Liverpool home match was how we need to do it. 

5 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

So he did, sorry to hear that mate. 

No he saved my cat out of a tree.

I don’t like to talk about it. 

He went from being really energetic to just very stale my mum said. 

My nana said they should give him time but Mum and my Missus know she’s absolutely crackers and is going senile so they booted him out instead. 

• Haha 1