Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Currently,  I am not sure what Rodgers can do with what we have available at centre back.  He has some culpability as he did not.manage the bringing in of a dominant centre back in August or January.  

As a club, respected for good recruitment,  we have done poorly with recruitment recently- the starting 11 generally has very few players signed under Rodgers.   

Rodgers is a good coach bit his role in recruitment should be limited.  

• Like 2

Just now, majaco said:

Currently,  I am not sure what Rodgers can do with what we have available at centre back.  He has some culpability as he did not.manage the bringing in of a dominant centre back in August or January.  

As a club, respected for good recruitment,  we have done poorly with recruitment recently- the starting 11 generally has very few players signed under Rodgers.   

Rodgers is a good coach bit his role in recruitment should be limited.  

The issue is we signed 4 players in the summer, 3 of which have had little to no impact on the first team. Not only that but we let a midfielder go who also could have made a difference 

• Like 1

What I find absolutely amazing in all this Brendan in/out hypothetical nonsense is the fact that all those who want him gone are at complete odds with what our magnificent owners want. It will be their decision at the end of the day that counts.

Are we really saying that all the love and affection we have for the owners count for nought simply because the manager they chose is still here?

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

What I find absolutely amazing in all this Brendan in/out hypothetical nonsense is the fact that all those who want him gone are at complete odds with what our magnificent owners want. It will be their decision at the end of the day that counts.

Are we really saying that all the love and affection we have for the owners count for nought simply because the manager they chose is still here?

Easy to write that off with a nice bit of ‘public dialogue’ hyperbole

Just now, roblcfc84 said:

The issue is we signed 4 players in the summer, 3 of which have had little to no impact on the first team. Not only that but we let a midfielder go who also could have made a difference 

I don't think that Praet, good player though he is, has been badly missed.

Our summer signings reflect that, under Rodgers, we are not signing players to break into the first team.  Daka looks like a good signing.  Soumare could come good but his first season has not been great.   Bertrand and Vestegaard have contributed little.   I thought Bertrand would be a decent signing but it hasn't  worked out.

The players who seem to be surplus to requirements include Rodgers signings:  Perez, Vestegaard,  Bertrand.   Mendy was given a new deal, a year (if I remember correctly) before being left out of the squad for half a season.

Rodgers seems to have worked well with some players.   In an organisation that has such a volume of staff, he should take more guidance on recruitment;  there should be a coach with better defensive understanding. 

I'll get it out the way for the inevitable loss today as I'm out this evening.

GERRIM OUT! Why sub X for X at X when we were X in the match? His tactics were off today, why play X in that position? Rodgers out!

There we are, I'm sure that will fit nicely.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I'll get it out the way for the inevitable loss today as I'm out this evening.

GERRIM OUT! Why sub X for X at X when we were X in the match? His tactics were off today, why play X in that position? Rodgers out!

There we are, I'm sure that will fit nicely.

I agree we were poor against Wolves today but we’re not helped by the four injuries to all our defenders that all had to go off !! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Corky said:

We panicked fearing he was going to go.

It could also be viewed that we were going very well and  they were securing/protecting their investment.

Technically meaning  a higher compensation fee and if Rodgers did want a bigger club opportunity he has to keep his stock high performance and achievement wise! 

Despite contrary arguments I feel the horrendous injury list still holds weight in the dip in form discussions but will gradually diminish as more players return.

If things don't start improving under that scenario then the suitors won't be knocking our door down.

A very big few months ahead.

33 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Easy to write that off with a nice bit of ‘public dialogue’ hyperbole

Well, obviously you can dismiss what you see as an exaggerated statement but that's what it boils down to. The owners, at present, are backing Brendan.

Edited by David Hankey
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, majaco said:

I don't think that Praet, good player though he is, has been badly missed.

Our summer signings reflect that, under Rodgers, we are not signing players to break into the first team.  Daka looks like a good signing.  Soumare could come good but his first season has not been great.   Bertrand and Vestegaard have contributed little.   I thought Bertrand would be a decent signing but it hasn't  worked out.

The players who seem to be surplus to requirements include Rodgers signings:  Perez, Vestegaard,  Bertrand.   Mendy was given a new deal, a year (if I remember correctly) before being left out of the squad for half a season.

Rodgers seems to have worked well with some players.   In an organisation that has such a volume of staff, he should take more guidance on recruitment;  there should be a coach with better defensive understanding. 

Mendy was down to losing wes and having to bring vestergaard in.  That’s not down to bad planning 

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

So we have to agree with the owners about everything? 

The owners have their view; fans have their own view.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

BR could still have included Mendy in place of Benkovic, who BR clearly had no intention of playing and was a waste of a spot in the squad.

Mendy was half way out the door at the time we had to register the squad - it made sense to include Benkovic over him especially with the centre back issues we were having.

Benkovic was being used in pre-season, none of us know the actual reason for what happened with Benkovic and why he was never used.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Mendy was down to losing wes and having to bring vestergaard in.  That’s not down to bad planning 

I didn't  say bad planning but now you come to mention it...  the planning wasn't great.  You seem to be selectively arguing with one point that I did not make from a long post.

At the start of the season, it looked like we had a great squad and largely, our squad is pretty good but the squad was a little unbalanced.  We haven't  really missed Mendy being available but Benchovic didn't even make the Benk.   Vestegaard was a carefully scouted panic buy and we were short of a right winger.   Recruitment under Rodgers has seen few players brought in to break into the first team.  I think he coaches a lot of players well, as long as they are not central defenders.

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Mendy was half way out the door at the time we had to register the squad - it made sense to include Benkovic over him especially with the centre back issues we were having.

Benkovic was being used in pre-season, none of us know the actual reason for what happened with Benkovic and why he was never used.

Playing preseason friendlies is one thing, but it's been apparent long before this season that BR was never going to play Benko again in game that meant anything. That squad place could and should have been better utilised.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Playing preseason friendlies is one thing, but it's been apparent long before this season that BR was never going to play Benko again in game that meant anything. That squad place could and should have been better utilised.

Maybe BR saw some improvement in Benkovic at the time, and/or he believed he could get him playing well enough to contribute something before January. We were pretty desperate for CBs when the initial squad was decided, and CM wasn't a problem. Without a signing, how could that squad place have been better utilised?

3 hours ago, sdb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/feb/19/leicester-must-hold-their-nerve-as-brendan-rodgers-faces-third-season-syndrome

A decent article that summarises my current take on where we're at. 

BR is (considerably) better than  most. He's (and we are) due an underwhelming season and it's inevitable with so many injuries. The club have probably let player contracts run on without conclusion too and that's clearly affecting focus. 

Get to the summer in mid table, recruit a few players via the tried and tested methods and sort set pieces and we can look forward to another season of progress imo.

I’ve felt this too. Let him get past his third season syndrome and things might fall back in place. I still think he’s the man for us and excited about the squad he wants to build. We need some new players tho, that’s for certain. This bunch are still a bit too soft for my liking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Maybe BR saw some improvement in Benkovic at the time, and/or he believed he could get him playing well enough to contribute something before January. We were pretty desperate for CBs when the initial squad was decided, and CM wasn't a problem. Without a signing, how could that squad place have been better utilised?

Could have dipped into the loan market. Didn't even necessarily have to be a CB. There were other positions where more depth would have been handy.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Could have dipped into the loan market. Didn't even necessarily have to be a CB. There were other positions where more depth would have been handy.

I did say without a signing - it may well have been the case that we'd used the budget up.

I think it did have to be a CB, though. That was clearly the biggest priority at the time, and it still is.

3 hours ago, sdb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/feb/19/leicester-must-hold-their-nerve-as-brendan-rodgers-faces-third-season-syndrome

BR is (considerably) better than  most. He's (and we are) due an underwhelming season and it's inevitable with so many injuries. The club have probably let player contracts run on without conclusion too and that's clearly affecting focus. 

Get to the summer in mid table, recruit a few players via the tried and tested methods and sort set pieces and we can look forward to another season of progress imo.

...just what are we paying him for if :

we take away his veto on bringing in new players.

We overlook his, and his team's mismanagement of our injuries.

We overlook his, and his team's inability to resolve set pieces. 

He is taking a very good salary and we are looking to do his job for him as we do not believe he is capable in these areas.

That only leaves him with team tactics to take care of and we have seen he struggles in that area as well. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, majaco said:

I didn't  say bad planning but now you come to mention it...  the planning wasn't great.  You seem to be selectively arguing with one point that I did not make from a long post.

At the start of the season, it looked like we had a great squad and largely, our squad is pretty good but the squad was a little unbalanced.  We haven't  really missed Mendy being available but Benchovic didn't even make the Benk.   Vestegaard was a carefully scouted panic buy and we were short of a right winger.   Recruitment under Rodgers has seen few players brought in to break into the first team.  I think he coaches a lot of players well, as long as they are not central defenders.

What was down to bad planning was the season before when KDH was given a place in the Europa squad and loaned to Luton within  days..there does seem to be something of a disconnect at times…I hope one day we get the full story on Benkovic because it really is a mystery. Loaned to Rodgers at Celtic , seemingly a huge success, then back to Leicester where it’s suddenly discovered he’s not good enough for Cardiff, Bristol City let alone the Prem League…

3 hours ago, sdb said:

I see he attributes Mendy’s absence to injury - not to the fact that one of the best players in Afcon was excluded from the Prem  squad…