Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Jimmy said:

look at the players Rodgers has bought, Tielemans doesn't count btw he was made permanent under Rodgers but signed by Puel, other than Fofana who has excelled? Why would you trust him to rebuild the squad?

True that is a concern I can’t deny that, but there is far more than Brendan’s opinion involved in a transfer. The whole scouting infrastructure was in place long before Brendan and will be long after Brendan. Although the manager has the final say you can’t blame him for poor signings. 

I would like to see him given a kitty and go and rebuild this squad with young hungry players. You can’t deny his form with young talent.

2 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I think he deserves the opportunity to rebuild the squad. Although the comments he made after Forest game didn’t go down too well I loved his honesty. He’s identified that the squad is weak minded with not enough players willing to stand up and be counted. I completely agree and think this squad needs a serious overhaul. There are too many weak willed players who are happy with mediocrity. 
For me, those comments were crucial. Slating players publicly could go either way and the fact that we have seen a reaction from the squad tells me he still has the backing of the lads. 
This season has been a write off and there are some serious issues he has to address, the defence, set pieces and injuries need sorting bigtime. But, I’ve seen enough recently to convince me he is the right man to take us forward. 
We’re trying to grow as a club, be ran properly from top to bottom and although the performances have been disastrous this season we’ve invested a lot of money in Brendan and this project and I’m not sure sacking him blindly is the best course of action. I’m trying to look at the wider picture.

That's a fair and well reasoned post mate. I thought his comments after the Forest game were long long overdue but also found them a bit hypocritical. Numerous times in his tenure he's downplayed us as a club and I can't help but think that has gone a long way to creating this lack of motivation in the squad. Even if people agree with his 'punching above our weight' talk I don't see what benefit it has other than for him personally. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How do you want him to be pissed off ?  In the post match interview?  What do you expect him to say ?  They players didn’t let us down today - he isn’t going to question his tactics (ever) - do you want him to shout at the moon and shake hIs fist?  I guarantee you that he goes home tonight and is well fooked off …

The most annoyed he's been before the Cup match was after a 3-0 win. Makes that whole thing look even stranger.

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

True that is a concern I can’t deny that, but there is far more than Brendan’s opinion involved in a transfer. The whole scouting infrastructure was in place long before Brendan and will be long after Brendan. Although the manager has the final say you can’t blame him for poor signings. 

I would like to see him given a kitty and go and rebuild this squad with young hungry players. You can’t deny his form with young talent.

yet he overruled our system to sign Vestergaard and Bertrand with the limited money we had last summer ...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Mike Stowell would get these players playing better

Remember that first game at home to Liverpool after Ranieri went? Shakespeare had us right back as the leicester we knew we were, in the very first minute of that game. 

Now you are just being silly. lol

• Like 2

I think he deserves the opportunity to rebuild the squad. Although the comments he made after Forest game didn’t go down too well I loved his honesty. He’s identified that the squad is weak minded with not enough players willing to stand up and be counted. I completely agree and think this squad needs a serious overhaul. There are too many weak willed players who are happy with mediocrity. 
For me, those comments were crucial. Slating players publicly could go either way and the fact that we have seen a reaction from the squad tells me he still has the backing of the lads. 
This season has been a write off and there are some serious issues he has to address, the defence, set pieces and injuries need sorting bigtime. But, I’ve seen enough recently to convince me he is the right man to take us forward. 
We’re trying to grow as a club, be ran properly from top to bottom and although the performances have been disastrous this season we’ve invested a lot of money in Brendan and this project and I’m not sure sacking him blindly is the best course of action. I’m trying to look at the wider picture.

I think this is fair enough and it’s a balanced view but some things to think about:

Why has it taken 3 years for him to identify he has a “weak minded” squad? Why has he done nothing about it in the six transfer windows he’s had at his disposal already?

The answer, as I see it, is simply that he knows it’s the only thing he can say now to keep his job and reputation. He has to blame the players and get that narrative out in the press. The fact that he is accountable for the players’ mentality is never mentioned in the media but he has had long enough for it to be “his squad”. Of course not many of “his signings” actually play because they’re not good enough but 3 years is sufficient time to instil the right mentality in the squad. If he can’t do it in 3 years I don’t know why people expect him to do it in 3 months over the summer.

If we keep him next season could be truly awful, like this one but with more toxicity and negativity from the word go. Anything other than an absolutely blistering start and he will be left with nowhere to go.

36 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think there's actually a lot to be positive about after the last 3 games.  

We're definitely turning a corner

We shouldn't be turning a corner, with results getting ever closer to not completely shitting the bed. He's the 4th highest paid manager in the country. Turning a corner is not enough.

If Rodgers rebuilds this summer we'll go down. We'll still have all the same problems we have now. There's a pattern that follows the guys career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I guess you wouldn’t have wanted Klopp then? lol premier league experience is not really important.

1. Klopp would never ever have considered us if we had approached him.

2. Of course premier league experience matters, at this point in the season with how things are at the minute you need someone with a knowledge of the league and the players to turn things around. The players are obviously still playing for him, so replacing him with someone who doesn’t know them or the league would be a huge gamble, certainly more so than riding out the season and then reassessing in the summer when there will be a lot more realistic options to bring in.

Edited by stu

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How do you want him to be pissed off ?  In the post match interview?  What do you expect him to say ?  They players didn’t let us down today - he isn’t going to question his tactics (ever) - do you want him to shout at the moon and shake hIs fist?  I guarantee you that he goes home tonight and is well fooked off …

but over the past few seasons, we play like that and we win the game.  Our set piece delivery was the only thing I can really question over the game.  He knows that if we continue to control games then with better quality players coming back, we will begin to win games ….

Wish I could earn £10 million a year, produce no results and go home and be ****ed off. 

1 minute ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

He really isn't going to be here in the summer, he doesn't want to be here anymore and probably got another club lined up

I hope so. Would enjoy watching him manage a club with the financial ability to compete at the top. He's overachieved at every club he's been at. Consistently doing more with less. Would be nice to see him go to a club that has the ability and money to attract the best players. I think he deserves that chance.

Just now, SO1 said:

I hope so. Would enjoy watching him manage a club with the financial ability to compete at the top. He's overachieved at every club he's been at. Consistently doing more with less. Would be nice to see him go to a club that has the ability and money to attract the best players. I think he deserves that chance.

Hi Brendan :P

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

yet he overruled our system to sign Vestergaard and Bertrand with the limited money we had last summer ...

They were meant to be 5th and 3rd choice options, for which they would be fine. The injury situation is more of a concern for me than these two. 

For those that want him gone it's probably going to cost us over 30m to sack him as we would have to buy out his contract. So we can have Rodgers and 30m more in the summer or a new manager and probably very little to spend in the summer apart from whatever we can rustle up from sales. It's not easy to just replace him and even if we do we aren't finishing in the european places anyway this season or winning anything apart from the European conference maybe. We may as well stick with him in the situation we are in but make sure we have someone overseeing the player signings in the summer and then see where we are in December. 

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

lol bloody hell. 

• Like 3

Just now, SO1 said:

And we'll be rid of you too. You can go and fluff Brendan on another team's forum.

• Like 1