Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

42 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

They weren't pot shots though were they. They were very controlled shots from the edge of the area. The amount of time and space podence had is absolutley criminal. You'd be fuming if we didn't score that. 

But that’s not true. The xG which takes into account the distance from goal and the opposing players was 0.03 for both of the goals. Meaning if they had that chance 100 times, they score it on average 3 times. That is just good finishing and a bit of luck. 

Claudio won us the league, but Rodgers turned us in to genuine big 6 contenders. The media bought this and whilst the league title will live in our memories forever it quickly became apparent that was a freak achievement by what followed thereafter.

Rodgers to be fair hit the ground running in his first half season near enough and many saw the potential then. What followed was 2 late failures to secure top 4 position but instead the footballing world forgave and quickly installed us as "big 6" material nowadays, someone to fear. This wasn't a flash in pan, this was built over sustained period.

We've fallen away and quite frankly none of us know without injuries if life would be massively different, you suspect it would be.

So whilst I'm not 100% myself on BR like most in the cold light of day you have to respect how he's elevated us over a period of time and not one season wonder's. Does that mean he's cut some slack this season over injuries and drop in form, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be. Maybe the defensive weakness is now overshadowing that argument?

But before we hang him out to dry it may just be worth remembering the 2.5 seasons before this and a sense of balance. If he solely managed to get us talked about in the echelon of other superior teams for 2.5 years, won us the holy grail of an FA Cup and CS trophy in May, then who does deserve some slack?

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

But that’s not true. The xG which takes into account the distance from goal and the opposing players was 0.03 for both of the goals. Meaning if they had that chance 100 times, they score it on average 3 times. That is just good finishing and a bit of luck. 

I'm sorry mate but there's no way that Podence scores that chance under no pressure 3 times out of 100. Have to look beyond xG sometimes 

1 minute ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Claudio won us the league, but Rodgers turned us in to genuine big 6 contenders. The media bought this and whilst the league title will live in our memories forever it quickly became apparent that was a freak achievement by what followed thereafter.

Rodgers to be fair hit the ground running in his first half season near enough and many saw the potential then. What followed was 2 late failures to secure top 4 position but instead the footballing world forgave and quickly installed us as "big 6" material nowadays, someone to fear. This wasn't a flash in pan, this was built over sustained period.

We've fallen away and quite frankly none of us know without injuries if life would be massively different, you suspect it would be.

So whilst I'm not 100% myself on BR like most in the cold light of day you have to respect how he's elevated us over a period of time and not one season wonder's. Does that mean he's cut some slack this season over injuries and drop in form, it's hard to argue he shouldn't be. Maybe the defensive weakness is now overshadowing that argument?

But before we hang him out to dry it may just be worth remembering the 2.5 seasons before this and a sense of balance. If he solely managed to get us talked about in the echelon of other superior teams for 2.5 years, won us the holy grail of an FA Cup and CS trophy in May, then who does deserve some slack?

When does the slack run out though? 

He’s been given plenty 

As we've looked slightly better in the last few games I'm willing to give him a bit more time, although I do fear we are in or at least about to be in the relegation battle now.

I want to draw a line under our recent form now, we've got yet another break next weekend, Fofana and Vardy are nearly back, we've got a run of more favourable fixtures. No more excuses - the results improve or he has to go.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

I know everyone is feeling low with our current form but I don’t think this is the moment of despair it appears to be.

Our team lost its way because too many suffered a loss of direction after the cup win, only natural but no doubt compounded by the injuries. However this is temporary and if we can take heart, get Fofana back. and get a win or two sufficient confidence will return and next season will fell different.

You honestly think that Little Wes will just step in after a horrendous injury and all will be well? Sadly wasn't the case with either JJ or Riccy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Why would it only be a years salary, and not the remainder of his contract?

I think it's a common misconception that managers get the remainder paid up, they actually get 12 months. Bear with me, trying to find where I read this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

But it is a fact, like it can’t physically be wrong. 

OK. So do you believe if you gave Podence that chance under those circumstances he'd only score 3 times out of 100? 

The Neves one was more instinctive and harder so I could believe the success rate would be less on that one (would still expect more than 3 out of 100) but the Podence chance didn't seem that difficult 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

You honestly think that Little Wes will just step in after a horrendous injury and all will be well? Sadly wasn't the case with either JJ or Riccy. 

No but just having a player of his ilk back in contention can give a boost to the squad. 

28 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

You have the entire team from last season

From that, Perez can go for me. Vardy and Evans need replacing (in preparation for their impending retirements) 

I can’t think of anyone else I’d get rid of from that squad.

The summer signings, Daka might be ok. The jury’s still out on him for me.

Vestegaard, Bertrand and less so Soumare don’t cut the mustard with me. But none of them were around when we finished 5th and won the Cup.

I hardly think a major rebuilds required. We just need to replace the players Rodgers brought in in the summer essentially 😂

edit- I forgot Youri, who’ll be difficult to replace. 

I sometimes wonder though if a new manager would entice him to stay. 

And to add to this, is he going to sell Ian who he clearly doesn’t rate, yet we know for a fact can put in a heck of a shift in a leicester shirt? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I get your point but what exactly would they have to improve on? Sometimes a new voice and new ideas are needed. Doesn't necessarily have to be somebody who has a better CV than Brendan

My point was more that usually people follow this up with suggestions that should scare the hell out of any fan of a club that sit precariously above the relegation zone, it’s not about the new manager being a manager that is deemed better or highly decorated. I just can’t see the logic that we opt for an unknown quantity at this moment when the risk for that go wrong and be in the exact same position. Especially if the same players are still injured. I don’t believe we have a lot of options the only manager I would go for is potter and he is unobtainable. 

The club will do their DD on targets with criteria in mind and I trust they’ll do what’s best for the club. Just think some

on here act like their playing football manager. 

My patience is wearing thin with Rodgers and things do need to change, but we don’t necessarily need new ideas we just need our best players to be fit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Ah, that must mean it never can happen then can it? 

No. But the likelihood is not as high as people think. There's this stupid idea that he, Vardy, and Evans will waltz back in and transform things. As we've seen with JJ and Riccy, it does not happen quickly. So it might but experience strongly suggests otherwise. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd

9 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

When does the slack run out though? 

He’s been given plenty 

I don't know.

But given all the injuries our drop in form is from 5th to 12th say? Given everything that's gone on before under BR do we really say "that's it, finished". First sniff of things not going as well as we'd like and you're off, done?

If we had a fully fit squad and the season looked like this then you could certainly say its a greater worry. Should managing come with the fear that a drop in form largely governed by a freakishly injury hit squad mean you're job is finished?

We want all the good stuff yeah, but go 6 months mid table with half a team mate and you can jog on?

Clearly there are other elements to this season and defensively it's been a disaster. But where have most of the injuries come from..."the defence".

When you listen to pundits up and down the country all backing him and highlighting this you have to question if we are too attached emotionally.  We're talking time served football people simply saying get players back, realign in summer, lesta have a very good manager. 

Is that a gamble we should be risking without the chance to test whether this season is a more isolated and unfortunate one?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s very worrying that managers of Hughes’ calibre are being talked about. Speaks volumes about how much Rodgers is dragging us in the mud this season. 

more likely the limited knowledge of the caller and Sutton & Savage

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

No. But the likelihood is not as high as people think. There's this stupid idea that he, Vardy, and Evans will waltz back in and transform things. As we've seen with JJ and Riccy, it does not happen quickly. So it might but experience strongly suggests otherwise. 

No one saying waltz back in. 

Anyone doing so is somewhat naive. 

Vardy will come back though within 10 days so that is more of a bonus in the short term. But for all we know Fofana might come back and look ready to go? It's not a foregone conclusion that he comes in and will take months to be back to his best. I have hope he will come back when the time is right and not take that long to find form.