Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

8 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

I thought we were the better side today. We were much better defensively than in recent games and were unfortunate to concede to two decent long-range efforts.

Yes there are things we could have done differently in hindsight, but I don't think the Wolves game is the one that signals that Rodgers should go. If anything, it's shown that we can compete against a top 4 challenger and should have won the game but for a bit of poor luck.

Performance-wise, I do think that the West Ham and Wolves games show that we're turning a corner, even though we only have a point to show for them. Football is a results-based business as we know, but if Rodgers goes now, I don't see things improving as a result. In fact, it could go completely the other way.

We didnt score the most goals though.  Imo, like the randers game, we snatched at chances...often players had more time than they allowed themselves.  They need mindfulness to sharpen their focus and avoid panicking.

Edited by foxinsocks

Just now, Blanchflower78 said:

It's a gamble for me, just trying to throw open some more perspective. May be that's for my own benefit as I too have given up on occasions.

2.5 seasons of really good football and achievements. This season if you asked what had changed you'd say massive injuries and poor defensively. Does one affect the other, almost certainly. 

So in 3 seasons of BR we have had 6 months of struggle possibly governed in the large part by injuries but we cut adrift then?

If someone new comes in during the summer and by Xmas we're 14th do we chop again? I have a good mate who follows Watford and he's devastated by what they've become, a managerial merry-go-round. Often on the narrative they "should be doing better" and not necessarily broken.

I'm not suggesting BR isn't culpable, but I'm not sure as a club we are at breaking point and a change is required to fix a sinking ship. Not yet anyway. 

He is not the one.  He has sloping shoulders.

Guest bennytwohats
4 minutes ago, Filberts Treat said:

Our grass isn’t green at the mo

Football fans are fickle. We are having a bad season, but the last couple of years we’ve had our joint second best ever seasons in the league, qualified for Europe, won the FA cup. We are still playing in a European competition and have a gifted squad with lots of exciting young players. If you look at all that and think things are really bad then I feel for you. For me it’s really indicative of how good we’ve had it that where we are now is seen as such a disappointment.

This season has obviously been disappointing, but today had enough encouraging signs that I still think people should be getting behind the team and the manager. Instead we’ve got plenty of fans acting like entitled babies.

16 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

It's a gamble for me, just trying to throw open some more perspective. May be that's for my own benefit as I too have given up on occasions.

2.5 seasons of really good football and achievements. This season if you asked what had changed you'd say massive injuries and poor defensively. Does one affect the other, almost certainly. 

So in 3 seasons of BR we have had 6 months of struggle possibly governed in the large part by injuries but we cut adrift then?

If someone new comes in during the summer and by Xmas we're 14th do we chop again? I have a good mate who follows Watford and he's devastated by what they've become, a managerial merry-go-round. Often on the narrative they "should be doing better" and not necessarily broken.

I'm not suggesting BR isn't culpable, but I'm not sure as a club we are at breaking point and a change is required to fix a sinking ship. Not yet anyway. 

You think this is the only rough patch we’ve had? Have you missed the final months of the past couple seasons?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We didnt score the most goals though.  Imo, like the randers game, we snatched at chances...often players had more time than they allowed themselves.  They need mindfulness to sharpen their focus and avoid panicking.

At the start of the game, Wolves had the joint best defence in the league in terms of goals conceded. Yet we did create and we caused them a lot of problems, Lookman in particular.

We were the better side and were unfortunate to concede through two top quality strikes from distance. Them's the breaks, I guess. I just don't think this is the game that should be deciding Rodgers' future. We were decent and could have easily won the game.

It's the appalling defensive errors in previous games that have hurt us, something that should definitely be laid at Rodgers' door. But, if anything, this was an improvement performance-wise and if we continue in that vein, we'll be more than good enough to beat most teams in the division and go deep in the Europa Conference League.

Whether we will or not is another thing, and who knows how losing while being the better side will affect the players' confidence or prompt Rodgers to make changes that will or won't work. It's all up in the air. I just don't think this game is the one that should get Rodgers the boot.

Going by the rest of the season, I can see the argument for his dismissal. Just not today's game.

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

If you weren’t out before today, todays perform wouldn’t have tipped you over the edge. I’m on the fence to be honest and I’m leaning more on the side of in at the moment because the players are still playing for him. 

Feel pretty similar myself. I also feel the players have to start taking more responsibility for poor performances and sloppy individual errors. 

What I will say, though, is that if he is given more time he must be ruthless in the summer, starting with replacing Schmeichel who is a major part of our defensive frailties this year. 

Not entirely sure when offside rule ceased to apply in Wolverhampton and am double checking that they actually had two shots on target but reality was we still lost to a bang average Wolves performance.  In fairness to Lookman, I have not been a positive supporter previously, but I thought he had a good game today.

At moment looks like lower mid table mediocrity at best.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Good grief some of the shit in here is astonishing.

We have conceded 65 goals this season and we've at least another 18 games left, we honestly could be on for 100 goals conceded in a single season and yet some of you honestly have the audacity to think we're turning a corner. On what planet?

What's quite scary is that I think way worse is to come if he's allowed to stay. It feels like they are still playing for him of sorts, but we've just lost all ability to dig in in games and not concede goals left, right and centre. I think we'll drop off and we'll get even worse which surely will see the back of him quickly.

How's he honestly spent 2022 without Vardy and decided now is finally the time to only play Daka or Iheanacho up front on their own. Baffling and to not even go 2 up top when losing games vs Liverpool and today? Just abysmal decision making and to see the prat laughing at full time was another disgrace. This was the man only 10 months ago that disgusted we were playing too expansive and risky when 3-0 up at home to a revolting West Brom side. Fcuk off Brendan, go and pull your pisser elsewhere.

I don't see how he turns it around, we were garbage at defending set pieces again, we failed to pick up players on the edge of the box which undid us twice and you simply cannot concede this amount of goals and achieve anything. He's done here. We're breaking records as the worst defensive unit since these current records began, it's an embarrassment.

And for anyone too ignorant to not be able to come up with any managers who would give us the right shot in the arm to salvage an iota of pride this season and try and pick up the pieces then have some decency to do some research and learn about football. Hiding behind the tired old retort of who else is there is pathetic.

There's one of the most progressive young managers out there in Diego Martinez who's desperate to work in the Premier League. As a short term fix there's the likes of Favre, AVB or Rudi Garcia who have proven time and time again that they can go in to big clubs and instantly improve things.

I know it's often too tempting to only look at the managers currently out of work but even if it's only that pool to choose from it wouldn't be a reason for Rodgers to keep his job if the rots set in and it has.

No league win in 2022, bottom of the form table with several below us improving. We are dog shit away from home and we've 3 very tough aways to come in Burnley, Arsenal and Man Utd. This is a nightmare and some of you lot need to wake up and join us insomniacs. 

What an excellent post. Completely correct. I can’t see anyone being able to challenge any of these points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

PS finish 9th this season under a new manager as opposed to 14th - 15th under Rodgers would cost about the same in money. £10m to sack him but £4m saved in wages between now and July and at £2m a position the new man will net that off nicely.

Where has this £10m pay off come from? Surely it’s the remainder of the contract until 2025?

Just now, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think it would be exciting to concede 100 goals and stay up.

Has anyone ever done it? I know Brendan likes to remind people at every opportunity his Liverpool side of 2013/14 scored over 100 goals in a season but would he be quite as passionate about the reverse? Let's see where the pigs bitten you Brendan

Just now, stu said:

Where has this £10m pay off come from? Surely it’s the remainder of the contract until 2025?

Managers contracts seldom are paid up in full, it's very common to see it be around a year's wages and any more than that is only very rarely paid if the manager doesn't find another job within a year or two. It's why his release clause isn't the remainder of his contract either and was last quoted about £14m.

Not a chance we'd pay him off in full

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silverfox14 said:

Not entirely sure when offside rule ceased to apply in Wolverhampton and am double checking that they actually had two shots on target but reality was we still lost to a bang average Wolves performance.  In fairness to Lookman, I have not been a positive supporter previously, but I thought he had a good game today.

At moment looks like lower mid table mediocrity at best.

No wonder he looks so good in our side then :ph34r: we'll quickly hoover up these "lower mid table mediocrity" players if Brendan gets the lay the bricks in our rebuild.

Edited by wardyfox86

I agree both endings to the season were hugely frustrating. We're not perennial achievers and lacked the nouse to see it through. I think most fans recognised the 5th place finishes as still very impressive whilst tinged with regret of not being able to make it a top 4 one. 

We also operate in a league whereby others around us suffer, respond and it's unlikely that Leicester City will be a top 6 Premier league force on an annual basis.  I respect BR for elevating us to that end of the table and for believing we can compete. But I also recognise it comes with no guarantees, Spurs and Arsenal galvanised, West Ham are having their "lesta" moment currently. You can't expect everything to remain the same and bumps in the road appear.

8-10 clubs start the season with aspirations of finishing in the top 6, not all can achieve that.  Should as a Leicester City supporter we expect top 6 no question come rain or shine and if not we bin. Do we want to be a Club who ignores the pressures of its injuries and how that has affected its current season?

If the next guy who comes in is struggling at Xmas will folk be looking back thinking BR with players back would have this lot performing far better? 

Like I say, for me a change should only come about if you think the club is in in severe danger, players have stopped playing for the manager or league position almost beyond saving. I dont think any of these apply and frustration is the biggest issue currently surround the club. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

His assistants aren't on 7 figures a year

Ric his legal team would have tied up a watertight contract and remember the club spent many weeks pleading with him to sign it. It will be expensive but if Top is prepared to take the hit then he will do it.