Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

What I find fascinating is that we see the output - be it a performance, a result etc. We have very little to no knowledge of what goes on ‘behind the scenes’ in respect of training, how the club is run in the back room, the physio room etc - but we are all quite happy to speculate and pinpoint the exact reasons why we aren’t top 6 this season or the deeper reasons as to why we lose a game of football.

I agree with the post that says the manager should go when it’s clear the players have downed tools. They clearly haven’t yet, but things need to improve. Let’s write this season off and go again.

And a genuine question to the BR out lot - if we in the Europa Conference North Vase thing - would that change your mind? Just interested…

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

What I find fascinating is that we see the output - be it a performance, a result etc. We have very little to no knowledge of what goes on ‘behind the scenes’ in respect of training, how the club is run in the back room, the physio room etc - but we are all quite happy to speculate and pinpoint the exact reasons why we aren’t top 6 this season or the deeper reasons as to why we lose a game of football.

I agree with the post that says the manager should go when it’s clear the players have downed tools. They clearly haven’t yet, but things need to improve. Let’s write this season off and go again.

And a genuine question to the BR out lot - if we in the Europa Conference North Vase thing - would that change your mind? Just interested…

It wouldn’t change my opinion at all. It’ll just be another way the cracks are papered over. 

Whilst I choose silverware over league position, the PL is our bread and butter. Finishing as high as we possibly can each season is incredibly important to the future of the club. 

• Like 2

I think the issue with Rodgers is simply that he has a philosophy about how football should be played. This is an oversimplification but that’s play out from the back, control possession, keep the ball and always show encouragement to the players. We’ve seen that when confidence is high we are capable of winning games. We’ve also seen that this approach can create errors, invite pressure and create a fragile mentality when it’s not working. Many teams have worked us out, press high or sit off and break beyond our high defensive line. 

There is no plan b, not alternative way of playing that I’ve seen. I think BR is a good coach and in terms of the technical side of the game, has the ability to improve players. But managing a team is much broader than that, and I think we are starting to his limitations. 

Couple that with a complete lack of game management. It’s a young squad, but see we seem to lack the guile of other teams. Spurs game being the obvious example. Rarely do tactical or personnel changes during a game make a huge difference. 

Clearly I don’t want the club to change managers as stability is important. But I just don’t see BR bring capable of adapting his style. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I personally don't think we've had 2.5 seasons of good football and we certainly haven't had just 6 months of struggle. 

Yes, we've achieved 5th twice but how much of that is due to him and how much a talented squad of players despite him. If we credit him with the success, then he has to cop for the end of season failures also, we can't blame it all on injuries. 

Extremely poor team selections, formations/tactics and substitutions were also an issue. 

We were 12th when he took over. And with a fully fit squad conceded the first goal in 19 matches. The criticism being we were toothless and had no plan.

We went on to secure more points other than only City and Liverpool and started the season with far more optimism.

Subsequently finishing the next 2 seasons 5th. Previous to this we had not finished close to these points totals or placing.

So when you ask how much of that is down to Rodgers then I would say quite a bit wouldn't you? Or do we only attach failure to a manager and not relative success? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Nobody fvcking cares that we aren't in the top 6! They care that we're sliding into the relegation battle, bottom of the form table, lost 7 aways in a row and conceding 2 goals a game. Don't be so bloody disingenuous. 

We all care? So what's stopping the axe falling then? Why aren't fans protesting in the ground or outside it. Why aren't we singing "sacked in the morning"etc every week. Why hasnt life become so toxic for BR he or the club have no choice but to act?

All your points are valid but something is stopping the inevitable happening. May be that will change this week who knows but something is keeping the guy in a job currently. Could be compensation but is Top fickle enough to gamble the clubs top flight status over a relative amount of money? Or perhaps both he and others around him see a wider picture, who knows?

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

It wouldn't change things for me at all and if it meant Rodgers staying, it wouldn't be worth it because I couldn't face having him at the helm on another trip into Europe. 

You're absolutely right in saying that we haven't the full insight into what happens at the training ground, back room and physio room but we do understand cause and effect and whilst we don't see all of the cause clearly, we have seen the effect for a long time now. We've also seen, despite injuries, players played out of position when there are obvious alternatives, poor team selections, poor formations, poor tactics, ludicrous substitutions and resolute stubbornness by a man who has been found out.

If individual players are putting the effort in, don't just assume that Rodgers hasn't lost the dressing room as some will play with professional pride and others, confident of their own abilities within this shit show, will be advertising themselves ready for their next job.

To merely 'right this season off' and 'go again' is purely an act of blind faith in that there is no consideration whatsoever of cause and effect,  despite injuries. It also blindly assumes, without any evidence, that Rodgers and his coaching staff can maintain their same methods (because of Rodgers philosophy) and everything will miraculously turn out right in the end. Hardly an empirical approach to running a multi million pounds business. 

To me the attitude of just writing things off, giving Rodgers a big bundle of cash and going again is tantamount to walking through a heavily landmined field blindfolded with fingers in ones ears singing Onward Christian Soldiers 🤣

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It wouldn't change things for me at all and if it meant Rodgers staying, it wouldn't be worth it because I couldn't face having him at the helm on another trip into Europe. 

You're absolutely right in saying that we haven't the full insight into what happens at the training ground, back room and physio room but we do understand cause and effect and whilst we don't see all of the cause clearly, we have seen the effect for a long time now. We've also seen, despite injuries, players played out of position when there are obvious alternatives, poor team selections, poor formations, poor tactics, ludicrous substitutions and resolute stubbornness by a man who has been found out.

If individual players are putting the effort in, don't just assume that Rodgers hasn't lost the dressing room as some will play with professional pride and others, confident of their own abilities within this shit show, will be advertising themselves ready for their next job.

To merely 'right this season off' and 'go again' is purely an act of blind faith in that there is no consideration whatsoever of cause and effect,  despite injuries. It also blindly assumes, without any evidence, that Rodgers and his coaching staff can maintain their same methods (because of Rodgers philosophy) and everything will miraculously turn out right in the end. Hardly an empirical approach to running a multi million pounds business. 

To me the attitude of just writing things off, giving Rodgers a big bundle of cash and going again is tantamount to walking through a heavily landmined field blindfolded with fingers in ones ears singing Onward Christian Soldiers 🤣

I got concerned some months ago when I thought about his previous jobs. He’s never had a cycle of over 3-3.5 years at previous clubs, and that’s possibly quite alarming.

Another thing that alarms me is who a potential successor might be. I see a few want Hassenhutl - despite him not progressing Southampton, and the fact he says he might retire from the game altogether in a few years…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Good grief some of the shit in here is astonishing.

We have conceded 65 goals this season and we've at least another 18 games left, we honestly could be on for 100 goals conceded in a single season and yet some of you honestly have the audacity to think we're turning a corner. On what planet?

What's quite scary is that I think way worse is to come if he's allowed to stay. It feels like they are still playing for him of sorts, but we've just lost all ability to dig in in games and not concede goals left, right and centre. I think we'll drop off and we'll get even worse which surely will see the back of him quickly.

How's he honestly spent 2022 without Vardy and decided now is finally the time to only play Daka or Iheanacho up front on their own. Baffling and to not even go 2 up top when losing games vs Liverpool and today? Just abysmal decision making and to see the prat laughing at full time was another disgrace. This was the man only 10 months ago that disgusted we were playing too expansive and risky when 3-0 up at home to a revolting West Brom side. Fcuk off Brendan, go and pull your pisser elsewhere.

I don't see how he turns it around, we were garbage at defending set pieces again, we failed to pick up players on the edge of the box which undid us twice and you simply cannot concede this amount of goals and achieve anything. He's done here. We're breaking records as the worst defensive unit since these current records began, it's an embarrassment.

And for anyone too ignorant to not be able to come up with any managers who would give us the right shot in the arm to salvage an iota of pride this season and try and pick up the pieces then have some decency to do some research and learn about football. Hiding behind the tired old retort of who else is there is pathetic.

There's one of the most progressive young managers out there in Diego Martinez who's desperate to work in the Premier League. As a short term fix there's the likes of Favre, AVB or Rudi Garcia who have proven time and time again that they can go in to big clubs and instantly improve things.

I know it's often too tempting to only look at the managers currently out of work but even if it's only that pool to choose from it wouldn't be a reason for Rodgers to keep his job if the rots set in and it has.

No league win in 2022, bottom of the form table with several below us improving. We are dog shit away from home and we've 3 very tough aways to come in Burnley, Arsenal and Man Utd. This is a nightmare and some of you lot need to wake up and join us insomniacs. 

E85712FA-E389-4EC4-AA86-213836B8F399.jpeg

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We were 12th when he took over. And with a fully fit squad conceded the first goal in 19 matches. The criticism being we were toothless and had no plan.

We went on to secure more points other than only City and Liverpool and started the season with far more optimism.

Subsequently finishing the next 2 seasons 5th. Previous to this we had not finished close to these points totals or placing.

So when you ask how much of that is down to Rodgers then I would say quite a bit wouldn't you? Or do we only attach failure to a manager and not relative success? 

He can't have it both ways. I found it very odd that two seasons running we started with fast free flowing football that only stopped on each occasion seemingly when he'd managed to get his claws in the players and demand that they slowed down and adopted his philosophy, remember his West Brom comments? Big clue right there I think. We luckily had a group of players that could still show individual moments of brilliance despite the attempts of stifling their natural abilities and thoughts being coached out of them over a long period of time. His use of players, formations, tactics and substitutions have been stubbornly bizarre for a long long time. He plays to a perceived perfect system regardless of whether or not he's got the players suitable to do it.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I got concerned some months ago when I thought about his previous jobs. He’s never had a cycle of over 3-3.5 years at previous clubs, and that’s possibly quite alarming.

Another thing that alarms me is who a potential successor might be. I see a few want Hassenhutl - despite him not progressing Southampton, and the fact he says he might retire from the game altogether in a few years…

I agree and I don't see an obvious available successor out there. Whether Potter for example or anyone else, I don't think they'd be willing to up sticks before the summer because they probably and understandably may have a sense of loyalty. Neither do we want to rush into what is a huge decision and take second or third best. Unless severely threatened with relegation, then it would make sense to keep Rodgers until the summer when there will be perhaps more choice. 

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He can't have it both ways. I found it very odd that two seasons running we started we fast free flowing football that only stopped on each occasion seemingly when he'd managed to get his claws in the players and demand that they slowed down and adopted his philosophy, remember his West Brom comments? Big clue right there I think. We luckily had a group of players that could still show individual moments of brilliance despite the attempts of stifling their natural abilities and thoughts being coached out of them over a long period of time. His use of players, formations, tactics and substitutions have been stubbornly bizarre for a long long time. He plays to a perceived perfect system regardless of whether or not he's got the players suitable to do it.

This is it. A manager has to find a system to suit the players available to him.  To do otherwise is a mess... square pegs in round holes. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He can't have it both ways. I found it very odd that two seasons running we started we fast free flowing football that only stopped on each occasion seemingly when he'd managed to get his claws in the players and demand that they slowed down and adopted his philosophy, remember his West Brom comments? Big clue right there I think. We luckily had a group of players that could still show individual moments of brilliance despite the attempts of stifling their natural abilities and thoughts being coached out of them over a long period of time. His use of players, formations, tactics and substitutions have been stubbornly bizarre for a long long time. He plays to a perceived perfect system regardless of whether or not he's got the players suitable to do it.

On the one hand I'd give him till the summer and see where we are. On the other hand I think if he left we could see a big upturn like when Shakey took over from Claudio who was in a similar slump. That would move us up the table and give us a better chance in Europe. Not sure who that man would be though.

I don't want him getting a big pay off though which would really eat ingo the budget. I wouldn't trust Rodgers with another penny anyway so it's no win. 

A shame the Unitd job didnt come off and we got compo or let him go.

Edited by gazzaa2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Was merely pointing out his 'affect' on the squad after you'd suggested he'd had none. What would you give to finish 5th now, your right b*****k... so finishing 5th in the premier league in your first 2 seasons isn't all that bad?

The few months the preceeded that only City and Liverpool amassed more points so again, pretty good eh?

Yes he has flaws, he winds me up like you but if he didn't he wouldn't manage Leicester City and if Leicester didn't have their flaws as players we'd be Man City. Neither gonna happen any time soon.  

• Like 2

So having had time to review the match I'm really wavering on brendo. Obviously every time we lose i feel a brendo out surge but then I usually calm down review it and I'm fine but my god even with a good performance we're still all over the place.

Schmeical Ndidi Soyoncu all look completely gone on any confidence they had. Esp troubling for ndidi and soyoncu who need the confidence to throw themselves about and win stuff now they are both pulling out of challenges or hesitating meaning they lose them (last season wilf would have stopped their first goal by getting a foot on it. This leaves wilf a bit lost in the middle.

Thomas is a young man who needs guidance from the back and has absolutely none. Good player but finds himself in no mans land far too often.

Amartey is very worrying. Does all the basics well. Tackling heading blocking. But he is just absolutely clueless at positioning and defensive decision making. Doesnt close down when needed closes down when needs to hold line and always moves over to soyoncus side for no reason and leaves a massive whole (look at the pereira block in early first half)

Attack we're missing vardy and barnes and we dont have a good right winger.

However, there were huge tactical errors. Why did KDH stay on instead of Ndidi. Ndidi going off meant madders and tielemans had to play deeper positions and couldnt push on. Also ndidi was playing well second half. Also KDH was knackered.

And why for the love of jesus did we not put iheanacho with daka. No sense whatsoever. Its these errors which leave me questioning brodge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’m Rodgers out but would say that I could get back behind him if he will just shoulder some responsibility … just a little. If he could just once say “I put my hands up this was my fault”, then I could believe he would improve on that mistake. How can you possibly ever fix a mistake if you don’t see it, believe it or accept it? You can’t be a good manager of people if you believe yourself infallible. It just doesn’t work as you will eventually annoy and ostracise everyone.