Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I would like Brendan to succeed and to be fair his record before this season has been excellent

My worry is that confidence and belief that the team is capable of winning matches has gone. We played really well yesterday at times and our goal was the best move of the match but there seemed to be an inevitability that we would lose after missing so many great chances. This result given the effort put in by the players is going to be damaging following on from late disappointment with Spurs Brighton West ham etc. 

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think this is a good point. But how many want him to leave in this manner? It seems to be that it’s either hatred and vitriol or Rodgers in - is it so black and white?! 

It was like that with Pearson, and to a lesser extend Puel as well. Either full on vitriol or completely blind faith. 

Rodgers deserves respect but his time here is done. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, majaco said:

Their xg was 0.5.   Luck is involved.  Most of the time they miss.  Both finishes were highly skilled and clinical.

Their cumulative xG was 0.5 because they got the lead early and believed in their ability to defend it. It's the one limitation with some xG models, particularly cumulative ones, it doesn't necessarily represent the tactics of some teams who see no need to push and score 3,4,5 in a game. Sure, both the goals are low xG strikes, but honestly if Neves hadn't have scored we'd have probably seen a higher value from them since we didn't show up at all until Podence pulled his hard man act v Lookman. They got ahead early and saw no further need to attack. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheFiveTime said:

And why for the love of jesus did we not put iheanacho with daka. No sense whatsoever. Its these errors which leave me questioning brodge.

I can only conclude that he doesn't want to risk them both on the field at once. That, and he wanted to put out a three man mf. The fact that he doesn't recognise that neither can function alone up top is bewildering. 

46 minutes ago, Koke said:

I want Rodgers moved on but I'll always respect him and hold him in the highest regard. 

I think this is almost my thinking now. He bought us some great memories, one specifically, but like another poster said a page back this tenure seems to be meekly coming to an end now. It'd take something huge for this spiral to be reversed and I can't see it happening. Not quite on the same scale, but almost the Nuno/Wolves thing. It just petered out at the finish.

4 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

No rumours or anything this morning even suggesting he’s to be sacked. FFS!

I don't think the board fancy the compo they would need to pay him.

As others have mentioned, as long as we are not at serious risk of going down - though that is not a certainty by any stretch - he'll stay and then the board may even hope someone comes calling in the summer.

9 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

As others have mentioned, as long as we are not at serious risk of going down - though that is not a certainty by any stretch - he'll stay and then the board may even hope someone comes calling in the summer.

Your username is very appropriate 

As I said yesterday, I’d see any compensation due to him as an investment in protecting the long term future of the club. It isn’t going to end well for LCFC under Rodgers and so it’s damage limitation for me. Though there’s already been far too much damage 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I think the compo is massively overplayed. If they need to pay it, they will. 

Can only presume right now that there is still faith in him. But it must be wearing thin.

I might be in the minority here but I’m quite optimistic for the rest of the season, players like Barnes, Lookman, Maddison, KDH and Ricardo are all finding form, plus in the coming weeks the return of Vardy and Fofana, and our remaining home games are Leeds, Norwich, Brentford, Villa, Everton, Palace and Southampton……surely we will win a fair few of them and carry on being battered away from home !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We were 12th when he took over. And with a fully fit squad conceded the first goal in 19 matches. The criticism being we were toothless and had no plan.

We went on to secure more points other than only City and Liverpool and started the season with far more optimism.

Subsequently finishing the next 2 seasons 5th. Previous to this we had not finished close to these points totals or placing.

So when you ask how much of that is down to Rodgers then I would say quite a bit wouldn't you? Or do we only attach failure to a manager and not relative success? 

Nearly every team has a honeymoon period under a new manager. It breeds new life and hope into players and fans alike, for a while anyway. 

It's after that period the real manager shows through. What glaringly and alarmingly shows through with Rodgers is his inability to accept that in the premier league, teams will work out your flaws and expose them to the point where you have to change something. 

Rodgers continually refuses to concede that point and therefore it is with regret.....cue Alan Sugar

Edited by DanDare

While a lot of us are rightly concerned with the level of compensation needed to pay off Rodgers - if he were to go - surely there will come a point where it's in his best interest to part on mutual terms? His reputation is tanking more and more every week at the minute, and while he might want to hold out for a payoff, he's got to think of his chances of future employment. If things continue the way they have been, hopefully a cut-price arrangement could be an option.

Based on the improved performances and team spirit I'm Rodgers in for now.  We desperately need some luck.  On another day Kasper saves the first wolves goal and the second is given offside, on another day Dawson goal is disallowed but when your luck is down then you end up in a position like where we are.

Defence has been super crap this season though and just when we don't concede from a set piece we fail to close down the edge of the box. Twice.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I think this is almost my thinking now. He bought us some great memories, one specifically, but like another poster said a page back this tenure seems to be meekly coming to an end now. It'd take something huge for this spiral to be reversed and I can't see it happening. Not quite on the same scale, but almost the Nuno/Wolves thing. It just petered out at the finish.

He's a good manager for all his flaws, I just don't think he's a long term appointment for anyone. 

It unravels once he's built his own team. The best managers tend to get better the more the team is built in their image. Look at Klopp or Pep.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

I imagine a lot of people will change their opinions of him if we were to lose the next league game. I imagine he will have very little support then.

Burnley will be tough. Feel like we won’t be able to cope with their physicality. Also they were unfortunate not to take the 3 points when we played them earlier in the season- remember their winner only being slightly offside?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanDare said:

Nearly every team has a honeymoon period under a new manager. It breeds new life and hope into players and fans alike, for a while anyway. 

It's after that period the real manager shows through. What glaringly and alarmingly shows through with Rodgers is his inability to accept that in the premier league, teams will work out your flaws and expose them to the point where you have to change something. 

Rodgers continually refuses to concede that point and therefore it is with regret.....cue Alan Sugar

So just under 2.5 seasons is a honeymoon period? Or does that fit the narrative. 

Haven't we spent that time working out others flaws? Turning a bumbling side sat mid table in to European contenders with 2 campaigns secured. You could argue we're turning back in to that side but then again no Lesta manager has endured an injury crisis quite like it with most of your first team defence out all season coupled with typically 2-3 others higher up the pitch at any one time as well.

So the pitch forks are out and I was there too recently. But questioning my logic and trying to look deeper than what's just played out in front of me.

Did you want Rodgers out in August after winning the FA Cup and Community Shield? No? Why not? 

Because he'd done a very very good job with the players and finances available.

What's changed, a defence that's been obliterated and beyond, and a drop in form. The drop also including a much poorer defence and an inability to deal with set piece balls.

BR needs to take his responsibility within that of course. But let's not suggest we've somehow inherited an absolute clown of a manager who's achieved nothing here and we always knew that would happen.

Again, my point being. Do we bin a manager who's sat mid table, top scorer out injured, regular back 4 being out all season virtually, limited finances? 

I may be with you in a few weeks, I'm no particular fan of him and it's a results based business. If we fall closer to the bottom 3 it's not without reason he could be axed but after watching yesterday the players haven't downed tools. We played some lovely stuff and with a few missing faces back in would have beaten Wolves. It didn't look like a beaten relegation threatened side to me.

What I would add is that the goals being conceded is highly concerning and if not improved upon quickly then it may be too late for BR to save himself.

• Like 3

I don't see any point in sacking Rodgers right now.  This season is a write off anyway and keeping him til the end of the season will at least save a couple of mill in compensation.

The last three games have shown improvement, at least in performances so let's see if this is going anywhere.  I really think that our season was stillborn, the moment Fofana was assaulted.  I don't think we ever recovered from the timing and the psychological blow.

I have yet to hear a replacement for Rodgers who is better and I think that keeps our powder dry.  That plus a shiny FA Cup in the bank.  The prospect of giving Rodgers a summer transfer kitty does scare me though.

Edited by murphy

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't see any point in sacking Rodgers right now.  This season is a write off anyway and keeping him til the end of the season will at least save a couple of mill in compensation.

There's about £30m difference in prize money between 8th and around 14th/15th.....