Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not true that though is it. Even Neil Lennon got us to CL last 16, Strachan done it twice, both managers in relative terms who had far less finances to play with than Rodgers.

Just comparing him to most other Celtic managers Rodgers record in Europe with Celtic was crap, as evidenced by him presiding over our two record defeats, telling us what we were doing was playing "without fear". In actual fact it was us getting utterly humped.

Going wider than that another ex Leicester manager actually got us to a European final you know.

Let’s clone MON. We can share him.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m afraid I’m 100% in the ‘out’ camp. The last 2.5 games haven’t done anything to sway me from that either. Bar an absolutely unbelievable summer and us hitting the ground running next season, no injuries, Rodgers having a bit of versatility and losing some of his stubbornness, I’ll want him out of this club until the day he goes. 

I do agree that based on the last 2.5 games, Rodgers probably hasn’t lost the dressing room though. 

If, like me, someone is a massive believer in the squad we have (with one or two exceptions) then they’d possibly also think like me- Maybe a different manager could get these players playing to their ability once again, without the need to shell out £xxxm in the summer. 

Also, I wonder whether a new manager (if impressive enough) would be able to tempt Youri and other better players to stay this summer. I know that that’s total conjecture on my part, but it still makes me wonder. 

Ok. You are out means out, I get it. So if we won every game until the end of the season, we won the conference windscreens cup and got into the Europa that way, and we (not he) had an amazing summer window, you would still want him to go. Don’t give me he won’t, just respond as if he did.

I will say that if the Forest performance had become a consistent, he would have had to go.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I honestly think his plan was to be back at a 'big 6' club by now. But unfortunately for him he's still slumming it at LCFC. It's all going wrong, for him and us.

Summer would've been his plan as that's when his stock was at his highest after the FA cup win. I think he'll have been pretty p!ssed off that never happened. Coming from someone who worked directly for him he was raging at Celtic when he was overlooked for the Arsenal job. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Not true that though is it. Even Neil Lennon got us to CL last 16, Strachan done it twice, both managers in relative terms who had far less finances to play with than Rodgers.

Tbf the gap has increased too that hasn't it? The gap between Barca/PSG to Celtic in the last five to seven years has accelerated at a stupid pace that it's killed Europe's premier competition. I think his European record at Celtic doesn't really tell the full story

4th in a group containing Barca, Man City and Monchengladbach. Got 3 draws there including two good performances v Man City

Anderlecht, PSG, Bayern Munich - finished 3rd - knocked out by Zenit

Knocked out by AEK Athens in CL Qualifying bad result - but out of European football by Leipzig. 

Strachan and Lennon never had two outright favourites within their group when they qualified for the last 16. Both probably about par with Rodgers for some stinking results in qualification as well though 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm not Rodgers in any more but think the questions can still apply - the divisiveness doesn't really help, alienating anyone as Rodgers in/out makes for rubbish debate... 

1. Squad not good enough - it is good enough. It should be doing better. Some players seem to have got complacent. I see in q2 you've mentioned injuries but I don't get why these are dismissed so much. You say the core of the squad is the same but injuries have affected all of those - Fofana/Evans, Ndidi, Maddison, Vardy... How can that be dismissed so easily? Some players have some proper brainfarts on the pitch and that can't be attributed to Rodgers. Things that can be attributed to Rodgers are things like game management, poor subs, poor starting selections etc... 

2. Injuries are of course a concern. Maybe it won't 'magically' disappear but I'd like to see a vast improvement over time - maybe the new physio/doctor (?) recently hired could influence a difference? I'd imagine they have been hired to address the current issues? What does need to change, starting with Rodgers, is making sure players are fit before they ready to play. 

3. Ultimately managers make mistakes. All signings anywhere are signed with the best intentions that they will perfectly slot in and be worldies straight off. Realistically, it doesn't happen. Rodgers doesn't get credit any more for transfers because of Bertrand and Vestergaard. Some players take a bit of time to settle and show what they can do - Soumare I think will come good. Others go straight in - Fofana was superb right from day one. I think a general issue is that fans just see 90 mins on the pitch (if the player plays) and some pictures/video montages from the training ground and act like everything is rosey. Newsflash - not always the case. Daka has been great since he joined - why does Rodgers not get credit? I see it a lot actually - there appears to be a lot of posters that genuinely struggle to give credit to him for anything good that happens, but are ultra quick to point out Bertrand and Vestergaard were signed by him as if there's some pride about mentioning it. 

Maybe the owners trust Rodgers that he'll sign good enough players to replace some that have been here a while. Let's face it, we're likely to see Evans, Kasper, Vardy all leave within next 18 months. Tielemans will go in summer. Maddison may get picked up. Soyuncu, as poor as he's been, is still a regular to be replaced. There's gonna be huge changes financially. A huge plus Ricardo has signed, though. 

I changed to Rodgers out purely because of the Forest debacle. That pushed me over the edge because of the slump in performance and result - the transfers weren't part of it because not every single one has been bad (some people may be surprised to learn that). 

What gives me some glimmer of hope is that the players are still believing in him - you don't get a recovery against West Ham and a difficult-to-take loss against Wolves if they weren't. Yeah they're not wins when we need them and not points on the board, but we're not getting smashed every week with no direction and embarrassment. Also aware that's no barometer to measure up against with where we see ourselves so don't hate me lol

Basically I think we're in a superb place as a club in terms of reputation, status, expectations etc. Currently on the pitch it vastly needs to improve. I may be Rodgers out right now but to be perfectly blunt, if we pick up form, progress in Europe and have a decent end to the season, it won't actually take much to send me back the other way. 

If the owners want to get rid of him should we exit Europe, and because the league situation isn't great (not perilous), then fair enough. 

Nice post (hope that doesn’t sound patronising 😅)

I dismiss the injuries so much because I wonder how many of them are of Rodgers own making? I know I bang this drum repeatedly but things were absolutely fine/normal when Rennie was here? Even if his departure isn’t a just a massive coincidence with the upturn of injuries, Rodgers still can have the final say on workload, training intensity, and the whether or not they feature in the match or not. Furthermore, what’s took him so long to do something about a new physio? He’s very guilty of taking too long to react to a situation- injuries, set pieces, constantly playing Perez

For what it’s worth I happen to like Lookman, and Daka is doing OK,  so I feel I can appreciate the decent signings he makes. 

You talk about Vardy, but what about Ian? He’s proven to be a great goalscorer (How times change, and fair play to Rodgers for showing faith in him last season) But what’s gone wrong now? 14-15 clubs would be playing him as their main striker week on week 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ok. You are out means out, I get it. So if we won every game until the end of the season, we won the conference windscreens cup and got into the Europa that way, and we (not he) had an amazing summer window, you would still want him to go. Don’t give me he won’t, just respond as if he did.

I will say that if the Forest performance had become a consistent, he would have had to go.

You’d be a fool to say you’d want him out if all those things miraculously happened. But that would mean that Rodgers had stopped his stubbornness, used the very good players he has available, and he really showed some adaptability. And I can’t see that happening 

• Like 1

Page 1 of this thread makes interesting reading. This club is far bigger than any here today, gone tomorrow manager. The biggest factor I think in our dodgy form is an inspirational leader on the field. People forget the massive influence captains like Roy Keane, John Terry , Jordan Henderson and yes Wes Morgan have. We and Spurs are the only teams with goalkeepers as captain and it doesn't work. Yet apart from KDH and possibly Maddison who can now do that for us .

8 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Summer would've been his plan as that's when his stock was at his highest after the FA cup win. I think he'll have been pretty p!ssed off that never happened. Coming from someone who worked directly for him he was raging at Celtic when he was overlooked for the Arsenal job. 

I think you’re bang on. His interview after the charity shield was so revealing, it was almost like a “I’ve beaten city to trophy my future is sealed” type of interview. And then literally after the two vacancies at United and Spurs were filled his whole attitude changed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

You’d be a fool to say you’d want him out if all those things miraculously happened. But that would mean that Rodgers had stopped his stubbornness, used the very good players he has available, and he really showed some adaptability. And I can’t see that happening 

Yup, neither do I, no chance, but neither do I think we will go down.

Guess I just live on the side of ‘he has earnt his chance to rebuild’ and I have chosen to believe the positives, at least until I hear an opposing view I can believe and isn’t fuelled by history or hyperbole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The Premier League season is a dud and the board knows it. 

We'll finish mid-table and he'll be allowed to rebuild in the summer. 

I think a lot rides on the ECL performance. A team such as ours should be getting to the latter stages. Get dumped out unceremoniously by a doggo outfit and they'll pull the trigger. 

That will be one embarrassment too far. 

I really struggle to understand this mentality. Why oh why do we have some kind of devine right to go far in the Conference League? There are some half decent teams still in it, and quite frankly, we aren’t one of them! A diabolical Legia Warsaw have beat us this season and Spartak took points off us, we lost to an awful Zorya Luhansk team last season and then were sent packing by Sparta Prague! We are incredibly weak mentally and there’s plenty of teams in this competition who we will roll over for away from home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

I really struggle to understand this mentality. Why oh why do we have some kind of devine right to go far in the Conference League? There are some half decent teams still in it, and quite frankly, we aren’t one of them! A diabolical Legia Warsaw have beat us this season and Spartak took points off us, we lost to an awful Zorya Luhansk team last season and then were sent packing by Sparta Prague! We are incredibly weak mentally and there’s plenty of teams in this competition who we will roll over for away from home.

Football is played on the pitch so no divine right.

Looking at our budget and wage bill we should be getting to the SF at least. It continues to amaze me that English clubs can get knocked out of UEFA competitions with clubs who wouldn't have the budget of an average Championship side.

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Absolutely no chance he gets a big 6 job straight after this one now.

....his perception outside of our club is of being an "elite manager" and job offers will be made with that in mind!!!

He will not struggle to get a top post at the moment, Chairmen always believe, a recently sacked manager will be better at their club.

3 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

We don't. Nobody has really said that because that's not how it works. 

But we're joint favourites to win it.

It stands to reason that we would be expected - as a relatively expensively-assembled English top-flight side with plenty of internationals - to progress to the latter stages. 

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

We don't. Nobody has really said that because that's not how it works. 

But we're joint favourites to win it.

It stands to reason that we would be expected - as a relatively expensively-assembled English top-flight side with plenty of internationals - to progress to the latter stages. 

We were joint favourites to win the Europa League with Napoli. We went out at the Group Stages. 

Expectations from media, bookies and fans alike are entirely misplaced (unfortunately), all you need to do is look at our performances and not the cost of the squad to draw a semi-sensible conclusion that we aren’t the best equipped team left in the competition.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yes that does seem to be the problem these days.

Entitled to what? £10M a year for creating a new style of football where the objective is not to play from goal to goal but to get from one side of the pitch to the other.

Think I'll apply as I'm clearly one of the patronised Entitled if feeling the current management has run it's course.

By all means let's give it a few more games but something has to change in how we approach games and how we make meaningful decisions mid game, or it's just the same scenario every week. 

I won't be holding my breath 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

But they're still terrible in Europe.  They've been dumped  out of three European competitions. this year alone!

Agreed, but it's strikingly similar to ourselves and Liverpool. Why can't he guide a team into the latter stages of a European competition (hope that changes this year).

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Celtic..before & After Rodgers always failed in Europe...except that famous historical once...

Top Many posters Hanging Too dear on conspiracy theories...

Brenden Rodgers being poor is Europe is no conspiracy theory lol Check his history of matches, from Liverpool to Celtic to ourselves. Failing to quality in our EL group this year was scandalous.

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Three questions I’d love to have answered by the ‘Rodgers in’ brigade

1. Why do so many of you believe the squad isn’t good enough (because Rodgers said so whilst covering his ass) when the core of the squad is exactly the same as the one who finished 5th and won the Cup less than a year ago?

2. Because your answer to No 1 is going to include the injury list- What makes you so sure that these injuries are magically going to disappear next season to allow us to ‘kick on’ when they haven’t disappeared for 6 months now? 

3. Why are you so trusting of Rodgers to recruit these much talked about fresh faces in the summer when by his own words the players HE signed last summer aren’t good enough? 

The last time I was in a 'brigade" was decades ago as a teenager the Boys Brigade!

Why are you so intent on making this so devisive  and about right or wrong ?

It's a forum that changes fck all and it's all about opinions, it's quite normal for there to be 3 different opinions in, out and on the fence.

This sadly is getting more like a heated vaccine debate by the day, tiresome and achieving absolutely nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

The last time I was in a 'brigade" was decades ago as a teenager the Boys Brigade!

Why are you so intent on making this so devisive  and about right or wrong ?

It's a forum that changes fck all and it's all about opinions, it's quite normal for there to be 3 different opinions in, out and on the fence.

This sadly is getting more like a heated vaccine debate by the day, tiresome and achieving absolutely nothing.

I agree with that

I asked the questions because I can’t see where those who want to give him a chance still are coming from.