Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest StevieLynex
1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Rodgers will go, just a matter of when. He isn’t the messiah. He’s not even a very naughty boy. Did ok for us in reality, but it has gone stale and he isn’t going to freshen things up. There will be no renaissance under Rodgers. 

You’re just making it up as you go along

30 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I'm not trying to argue the point that we've done much in Europe my point is merely we've had managers with far less resources than Rodgers who have done markedly better in Europe, it's pretty black and white that one.

Rodgers was immensely successful at Celtic, domestically, again I'm not disagreeing with you there. I've said that countless times and he gave me some of my greatest memories as a Celtic fan and I was devastated when he left. All that said though, his record in Europe just in comparison to other Celtic managers, with less resources, with far more workmanlike teams on paper was pretty poor.

If you look at that at all of his clubs, Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester he's underachieved at every single one of them in Europe, when patterns like that emerge you can't ignore them. Last season Leicester should have been reaching the Europa League semi-finals mimimum imo.

I ignore them until careers are over...

Criticising success is a weird approach..

I was and ended before retirement & so called expert...like my bosses,my colleagues & you..!

we have our down moments,saved by up moments, in the time of general mayhem,collecting experience and having fun..

Rodgers, & his level have more success,

Waste of time in life chasing every misendeavour...

Unless you enjoy chasing only negatives over individuals...Then by definition, you are a miserable sod who needs to change their life's angles..:P

I prefer the more balanced banter,instead of " that's it"  he's/they are crap..!!  & This forum is often full of it...I prefer those who support and not continually Nag...

Usually a wife's perogative..

Whining and being a negative yonk every sodding week is not my thing..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DanDare said:

Entitled to what? £10M a year for creating a new style of football where the objective is not to play from goal to goal but to get from one side of the pitch to the other.

Think I'll apply as I'm clearly one of the patronised Entitled if feeling the current management has run it's course.

By all means let's give it a few more games but something has to change in how we approach games and how we make meaningful decisions mid game, or it's just the same scenario every week. 

I won't be holding my breath 

...there isn't much change when he plays Nacho or Daka upfront as lone strikers!!!

He then has the option to take off Ndidi and bring on Nacho,  having two upfront would have given us a better chance, but Rodgers will not move away from the lone striker role with these two players. There is no learning by Rodgers he will continue to do the same thing until the media comes out and questions it. He plays Perez come what may, game after game and we all asked the question, why!!

Yet now he cannot get a game, irrespective of the form shown by under performing players.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Three questions I’d love to have answered by the ‘Rodgers in’ brigade

1. Why do so many of you believe the squad isn’t good enough (because Rodgers said so whilst covering his ass) when the core of the squad is exactly the same as the one who finished 5th and won the Cup less than a year ago?

2. Because your answer to No 1 is going to include the injury list- What makes you so sure that these injuries are magically going to disappear next season to allow us to ‘kick on’ when they haven’t disappeared for 6 months now? 

3. Why are you so trusting of Rodgers to recruit these much talked about fresh faces in the summer when by his own words the players HE signed last summer aren’t good enough? 

I'm Rodgers in purely because there isnt a manager with a better record or pedigree who would likely join us at this moment. It would be more of a risk to try and upgrade with the managers in the market right now. If we found ourselves in the position spurs were at the start of the season, when they eventually hired nuno, their 8th choice manager, it would be a massive blow we might not recover from.

Edited by Foxy harry
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Rodgers record should 100% be better in Europe, but you also need a deep squad to do really well. When has he ever had that in any European campaign that he’s managed? 

The sheer breadth and persistence of excuses Rodgers’ defenders use is truly impressive.  There’s one for every failing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Foxy harry said:

I'm Rodgers in purely because there isnt a manager with a better record or pedigree who would likely join us at this moment. It would be more of a risk to try and upgrade with the managers in the market right now. If we found ourselves in the position spurs were at the start of the season, when they eventually hired nuno, their 8th choice manager, it would be a massive blow we might not recover from.

That’s a fair point but I’ve always countered that by saying that on a weekly basis Rodgers is ruining our stock even further and we’re becoming less attractive to other managers. That’s why I wanted him out 6 months ago whilst the going was ‘ok’ 

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Puel never won a trophy for us, or qualified for Europe twice, he didn't have the same injury problems either. 

You can pretend that doesn't make a difference, but it does. 

Hence why i said "admittedly under difficult circumstances". 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think given the outputs of both managers, that may be underselling it a tad

i don't think at any point during this discussion i've undermined Rodgers achievements. Watching us win the FA Cup with my son, dad and father in law was a really special memory for me.  By the same token, watching us fall away to 5th in two successive seasons where it was entirely in our hands to finish in the top 4 is not really an achievement is it. granted, for a club of our size, Top 5 is great, on paper, at the beginning of a season.  But not when we are so far ahead of the pack at times. 

but i'll state it again, notwithstanding injuries, our form THIS season (which is the whole reason we are having this discussion about Rodgers) is statistically worse than Puel's tenure. 

yes, we play better football at times, on our day, we still have the ability to beat the big teams.  but look at the stats below and tell me where this season rodgers outputs (as you liked to describe them) are better than puels. for this season alone, it's been a car crash. 

Rodgers

Season

Matches

Wins

Draws

Losses

PPM

Win %

21/22

20/21

19/20

18/19

50%

Puel

Season

Matches

Wins

Draws

Losses

PPG

Win %

18/19

17/18

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

i don't think at any point during this discussion i've undermined Rodgers achievements. Watching us win the FA Cup with my son, dad and father in law was a really special memory for me.  By the same token, watching us fall away to 5th in two successive seasons where it was entirely in our hands to finish in the top 4 is not really an achievement is it. granted, for a club of our size, Top 5 is great, on paper, at the beginning of a season.  But not when we are so far ahead of the pack at times. 

but i'll state it again, notwithstanding injuries, our form THIS season (which is the whole reason we are having this discussion about Rodgers) is statistically worse than Puel's tenure. 

yes, we play better football at times, on our day, we still have the ability to beat the big teams.  but look at the stats below and tell me where this season rodgers outputs (as you liked to describe them) are better than puels. for this season alone, it's been a car crash. 

Rodgers

Season

Matches

Wins

Draws

Losses

PPM

Win %

21/22

20/21

19/20

18/19

50%

Puel

Season

Matches

Wins

Draws

Losses

PPG

Win %

18/19

17/18

No. That is impossible, and to dismiss them in any conversation about this season is extremely disingenuous.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No. That is impossible, and to dismiss them in any conversation about this season is extremely disingenuous.

fair enough then, you see them as an absolute reason for our performance this season. I see them as a contributing factor which can't be viewed in isolation. everyone see's the world through a different lens.

For what it is worth, I see the soft tissue injuries as being caused by the club/manager.  Whether that be through poor training recovery methods, not listening to the data that shows players being in the red zone, lack of strength and conditioning or rushing players back too quick. 

of course, I have no specific evidence of this, i'm not at the club every day.  but something somewhere isn't right in our preparation. 

11 hours ago, Corky said:

Which is why the 5th place finishes, whilst being impressive league campaigns, didn't really lead to anything tangible beyond that and people are questioning the true worth. A two-legged defeat to Slavia Prague, failing to score in both games with the second leg at home, and a group stage exit after a defeat to Legia Warsaw who are near the bottom of their own league. It is a very poor showing and no hiding beyond any resources argument on this one.

I think there’s clearly a mentality issue. We seem to get up for big games v PL top 6 but often go missing in other games or just arrogantly think we can turn up and win. And then when we get behind in those games there isn’t the mentality to claw it back. There are so many examples it’s not worth highlighting them.

I also agree with the posters who highlight context. Context is key to understanding anything or any process in life, and no doubt we’ve had a rough season injury wise etc. It’s whether the downturn can be almost exclusively attributed to that which is ripe for debate.

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck

3 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

fair enough then, you see them as an absolute reason for our performance this season. I see them as a contributing factor which can't be viewed in isolation. everyone see's the world through a different lens.

For what it is worth, I see the soft tissue injuries as being caused by the club/manager.  Whether that be through poor training recovery methods, not listening to the data that shows players being in the red zone, lack of strength and conditioning or rushing players back too quick. 

of course, I have no specific evidence of this, i'm not at the club every day.  but something somewhere isn't right in our preparation. 

:D You are putting words in my mouth, I never said the injuries are the sole reason for our poor season, but that they cannot be removed from a holistic discussion about this seasons woes. I am fairly sure that Brendan has not helped, as much of our staff must be culpable in part.

As much as I hate to use the trite trope, there really is no I in team.

We had a notable injury list during much of the period sept/oct/nov of 2020/21 season and performed exceptionally through that 

we also managed an EL group win (yes,easier group than this campaign) 

whilst the injuries this season are definitely a big factor in our ‘demise’, there is also the mental aspect. Rodgers has simply been unable to lift the players from the late disaster of finishing 5th again. That’s not an easy job having been successful in doing it last season. 

Whilst the players seem to have now lifted their performance levels, I wouldn’t be rushing to fire him - however, it could well be that the relationships across the club are irretrievably damaged and he will leave in the summer ….

• Like 1