Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Milo said:

I honestly couldn’t give a flying fvck what other clubs do or don’t do.  

So you think we should sack any manager that doesn't win a trophy basically.

Thankfully you're not in charge otherwise Pearson would have gone long before he got us promoted.

Edited by Fox92

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It staggers me how much people are willing to write off a trophy we had never won before but finally end up doing it. Purely because we didn't qualify for CL. Sad. 

Proper weird.

Same people will probably take the piss out of other clubs for not winning anything either.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox92 said:

Thank fvck your not in charge otherwise Pearson would have gone long before he got us promoted.

*sigh*

Read my posts above. 

I specifically said I didn’t want Rodgers sacked. 

Feel free to pick fights with whoever you want, but put a bit of effort in to make sure you’re facing the right direction first. 👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I would imagine most of the fans arguing Rodgers should be safe are the same ones saying the FA Cup was more important than the Champions League.

So you would have taken getting knocked out in the group phase of the CL over winning the FA Cup?

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Context does matter. 

Hitler was a vegetarian, and all that. 

Does Rodgers get a job for life, then, based on his FA Cup and Community Shield wins? Or is there a point when current results and performances are measured. 

Under Rodgers we played the most glorious football I’ve ever seen us play. It was truly joyous, and he deserves full credit for creating that. Aggressive, expansive, attacking. 

We have also played the most turgid, timid football I have seen us play in recent times. (Yes, even worse than you-know-who-ball). And he deserves the criticism for this. 

So the only real question should be can he turn it round. Our league trajectory has been heading downwards. For quite a while. 

If he can’t arrest this, then he should expect to be moved on. 

I don’t particularly want him to sacked. I just want him to be better. 

And if he’s not capable of that, then he can’t complain too much if he loses his job. 

Certainly we played some amazing aggressive, attacking football in BR's first full season. But I think to do that depends on a team having a really strong defence that you are able to field consistently as a base? As I've said previously, even a side as good as Liverpool suffered badly last season without key defenders. At this point in the season they were something like 9th and had lost 6 home games running including against the likes of Fulham and Burnley.

Leaking goals and not trusting your defence to do its job affects the whole structure, confidence and mindset of teams. So it's no surprise that Rodgers has opted to be more conservative in style this season to try to compensate for missing key defenders and the enforced inconsistency of selection in defence. 

We've played most of the season with a player who began the season as our 5th choice CB as a starter, often partnered by a kid who was seen as our 3rd choice left back when the season kicked off. We've not been able to field our best 4 defenders together in over a year. Yes, people will say that 3 of those 4 have played at points this season and we've still looked dodgy defensively. But the fact is that when they've played they've usually been dropped in with back up defenders around them in unfamiliar combinations and not yet been back to their very best following injuries. It's been a perfect storm and, whilst he has made mistakes, I do have real sympathy for Rodgers.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I would imagine most of the fans arguing Rodgers should be safe are the same ones saying the FA Cup was more important than the Champions League.

Absolutely, it is, especially for a club who has never won the fa cup.

Football is about winning things, not celebrating coming 4th.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Thankfully you're not in charge otherwise Pearson would have gone long before he got us promoted.

People seem to think we are Chelsea!

The only reason to sack him is if he can't turn it around. 

If we can look better, play decent football and defend well, finishing mid table isn't a problem for me.

The issue I have is we can't do the basic well enough at the moment.

10 hours ago, Stinky said:

How many of their 26 shots were clear cut chances?

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Comfortably 6 or 7 

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd say close to 10 or more, it was extraordinary.

Given that on only 7 we’re on target that has to be the starting number then as only 5 of those were classed as saves by the keeper we are down to 5, then out of those 5 how many actually had Kasper scrambling I can think of 2 but even if you kept it at 5 is it any different to any other game of football, surely a goalkeeper has to make 5 saves in most games and a save can be classed as a worldie or a dribble back to him.

As for having more class they would have scored those 5 saves well Southampton had 29 shots v Norwich last night but only scored 2, Arsenal 26 shots v Wolves the night before and only scored 2 & 1 of those is recorded as an OG.

The score line comfort probably changed our mindset, had we been down or the gap wasn’t as large I don’t see them getting 26 shots as we would have been more on the front foot. The game plan was probably sit let them come at us and go for the counter attack, the 2minute Barnes goal finished the tie. I honestly don’t think at any point we were really out of control, sloppy yes, but never out of control and a goal for them we would have up’d the pressure.

Its boarding on hypocritically that this game is brought up as the worst game seen by many yet we won and I think I’m right in saying many posters are bashing Rodgers for trying to be to fancy in his style when all that matters for some is the win...well we won?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Milo said:

*sigh*

Read my posts above. 

I specifically said I didn’t want Rodgers sacked. 

Feel free to pick fights with whoever you want, but put a bit of effort in to make sure you’re facing the right direction first. 👍

Sorry but you said "And when you stop winning, the manager gets sacked."

I thought you were implying we should sack him.

Although I'm not even bothered if people do want him sacked, people have their own opinions and that is fine, but context is always needed.

On paper we have the best squad in the UECL. But teams like Basel and PSV have more European experience than us. Desperate for us to win this thing so we can have another crack at Europa League again next season. Plus the glory of winning the UECL. Its like winning the Cup Winners Cup back in the day. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Given that on only 7 we’re on target that has to be the starting number then as only 5 of those were classed as saves by the keeper we are down to 5, then out of those 5 how many actually had Kasper scrambling I can think of 2 but even if you kept it at 5 is it any different to any other game of football, surely a goalkeeper has to make 5 saves in most games and a save can be classed as a worldie or a dribble back to him.

As for having more class they would have scored those 5 saves well Southampton had 29 shots v Norwich last night but only scored 2, Arsenal 26 shots v Wolves the night before and only scored 2 & 1 of those is recorded as an OG.

The score line comfort probably changed our mindset, had we been down or the gap wasn’t as large I don’t see them getting 26 shots as we would have been more on the front foot. The game plan was probably sit let them come at us and go for the counter attack, the 2minute Barnes goal finished the tie. I honestly don’t think at any point we were really out of control, sloppy yes, but never out of control and a goal for them we would have up’d the pressure.

Its boarding on hypocritically that this game is brought up as the worst game seen by many yet we won and I think I’m right in saying many posters are bashing Rodgers for trying to be to fancy in his style when all that matters for some is the win...well we won?

The official stats say Randers had 3 big chances, missing 2. In the first leg we had 8 and missed 6 of them!

Edited by Sunbury Fox

4 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

He asked how many were clear cut chances not how many shots on target. They missed some absolute howlers that a better quality side wouldn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

He asked how many were clear cut chances not how many shots on target. They missed some absolute howlers that a better quality side wouldn't. 

What’s classed as a clear cut chance? Every time you get in the final 3rd, or the box or have more players in an attack than there are defenders, or a shot from 25-40yards out?

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

What’s classed as a clear cut chance? Every time you get in the final 3rd, or the box or have more players in an attack than there are defenders, or a shot from 25-40yards out?

No, when you're blazing the ball over the bar from six yards out etc. 

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

No, when you're blazing the ball over the bar from six yards out etc. 

So covered in the 26 shots stat ok and hence putting Arsenal and Southampton as examples of having more quality yet same out come.

For me it’s shots on target and even then those that require a save from the keeper, other attempts are just speculative in the big picture, a blaze over the bar could be down to lack of composure, lack of quality, presence of opposition baring down on them putting them off (good defending?)

Are we really now pulling Rodgers on shoulda/coulda/woulda’s if so why wasn’t Ranieri pulled for the same as in most games that season we were in a defensive dual 70% of the time and the “big chances” for opposition must have been in double figures per match.

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I know your not having ago but given that those 2 went in has to class as a big chance they had to come from somewhere.

Definitely not having a go! So of the 8 big chances we had we scored 2. Our other 2 goals were from situations not judged to be clear chances. We then had 6 other chances that the statisticians judged to be clear opportunities to score based on the circumstances (ie taking into account the position of the player shooting and the defenders around him).

Just now, BKLFox said:

So covered in the 26 shots stat ok and hence putting Arsenal and Southampton as examples of having more quality yet same out come.

For me it’s shots on target and even then those that require a save from the keeper, other attempts are just speculative in the big picture, a blaze over the bar could be down to lack of composure, lack of quality, presence of opposition baring down on them putting them off (good defending?)

Are we really now pulling Rodgers on shoulda/coulda/woulda’s if so why wasn’t Ranieri pulled for the same as in most games that season we were in a defensive dual 70% of the time and the “big chances” for opposition must have been in double figures per match.

I was simply answering a question. I guess it depends on what you're willing to accept as a clear cut chance really but I'd stick at least 6 or 7 that I'd expect a decent player to put in the back of the net

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I was simply answering a question. I guess it depends on what you're willing to accept as a clear cut chance really but I'd stick at least 6 or 7 that I'd expect a decent player to put in the back of the net

Sorry I did actually put in brackets after that (I know your not being arsey) but deleted.

Yep true about what you’d class as clear cut, I just think there could be loads of examples of clear cut chances open to interpretation but even the likes of a quality striker, let’s say Kane, doesn’t put every chance in otherwise he’d be getting 7 or 8 goals a game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koke said:

On paper we have the best squad in the UECL. But teams like Basel and PSV have more European experience than us. Desperate for us to win this thing so we can have another crack at Europa League again next season. Plus the glory of winning the UECL. Its like winning the Cup Winners Cup back in the day. 

It’s not comparable to winning the cup winners cup.

Winning the cup winners cup invariably meant beating some of the best sides in Europe. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

It staggers me how much people are willing to write off a trophy we had never won before but finally end up doing it. Purely because we didn't qualify for CL. Sad. 

Especially given how bad we've been this season, we'd have been annihilated in the Champions League. We were always heading for squad fitness issues. An extra £40m wouldn't have prevented this.