Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

Given that on only 7 we’re on target that has to be the starting number then as only 5 of those were classed as saves by the keeper we are down to 5, then out of those 5 how many actually had Kasper scrambling I can think of 2 but even if you kept it at 5 is it any different to any other game of football, surely a goalkeeper has to make 5 saves in most games and a save can be classed as a worldie or a dribble back to him.

As for having more class they would have scored those 5 saves well Southampton had 29 shots v Norwich last night but only scored 2, Arsenal 26 shots v Wolves the night before and only scored 2 & 1 of those is recorded as an OG.

The score line comfort probably changed our mindset, had we been down or the gap wasn’t as large I don’t see them getting 26 shots as we would have been more on the front foot. The game plan was probably sit let them come at us and go for the counter attack, the 2minute Barnes goal finished the tie. I honestly don’t think at any point we were really out of control, sloppy yes, but never out of control and a goal for them we would have up’d the pressure.

Its boarding on hypocritically that this game is brought up as the worst game seen by many yet we won and I think I’m right in saying many posters are bashing Rodgers for trying to be to fancy in his style when all that matters for some is the win...well we won?

They put a few wide that were glaring misses, not to mention some of our frantic defending that blocked shots that don't count either.

I've watched the game back and 10 is possibly over egging in but it was a hell of a lot for a team as crap as Randers but we are well capable of playing any professional team and sinking to new depths.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Absolutely it does! Context here is up until this point the success has exceeded anyone’s expectations when he arrived.

One tough season, with a ridiculous amount of injuries and barely being able to play any of our first choice back four and some of our supporters shite themselves and call for sackings.

4th (?) highest paid manager in the league, 2 CL seasons bottled very badly, costing the club how much in revenue. Poor signings insisted on by the manager wasting more cash. 

Yes the headlines are great but there's a deeper story isn't there, and it's remiss to ignore that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

It’s not comparable to winning the cup winners cup.

Winning the cup winners cup invariably meant beating some of the best sides in Europe. 

This was the last 16 line up for the last Cup Winners Cup in 1999, hard to see which is stronger the line up here or the last 16 we find ourselves in.

086E8E7C-9CB8-45E3-8005-01BB60E35E1B.jpeg

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

4th highest paid manager, but not 4th highest budget in the league - which managers better outperformed their budget over that time?

Poor signings, but also some great signings for the club - name a manager without poor signings, Ferguson signed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and Thiabi amongst his shockers.

Pre Rodgers the CL wasn’t a target, he had us outperforming earlier in the season and as injuries hit, we faded away this happens to every team every season outside the big budget six.

No one is saying it’s perfect, but at the same time what manager is?

But some of the negativity thrown at him is beyond a joke, it’s embarrassing as a club that as soon as we have any adversity we call for a manger to be sacked.

This is one of only two seasons in the last 10 years  we haven’t moved forwards as a club - the other season being the season after winning the PL.

Every other team in the county bar Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool would love to have had our continual progress over that time and everyone would love the success we’ve had over the last 3 years.

It isn’t possible or reasonable to expect to not have a set back season where we reassess the squad and move forward again. Throw into the mix the injuries which some seem happy to ignore.   This season we will finish in the top 10 again and have a reasonable chance of further silverware in Europe.

At what point do we sit back and say we are happy with what is happening?

As a supporter base, we have to be amongst the worst for wanting managers sacked and being miserable.

Anyone over the age of 30 has possibly seen the best 3 managers in the clubs history and more success than all previous generations put together and still all 3 of them have faced calls to be sacked by some of our miserable ungrateful supporters.

You don't have to be staunch Brendan in or Brendan out though. There's an infinite amount of middle ground. The portion that just sticks militantly to "this is as good as it gets everything is absolutely fine stop moaning" aren't helping anyone. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This was the last 16 line up for the last Cup Winners Cup in 1999, hard to see which is stronger the line up here or the last 16 we find ourselves in.

086E8E7C-9CB8-45E3-8005-01BB60E35E1B.jpeg

And the next year it was cancelled because it had lost its lustre with the UCL having been expanded.

In any event I’ve humoured you and looked it up: that line up featured sides who finished that season:

3rd in Spain

2nd in Italy

3rd in England

There is nobody left in UECL who will get anywhere near that. It’s not particularly close to being the same standard.

56 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

4th highest paid manager, but not 4th highest budget in the league - which managers better outperformed their budget over that time?

Poor signings, but also some great signings for the club - name a manager without poor signings, Ferguson signed Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and Thiabi amongst his shockers.

Pre Rodgers the CL wasn’t a target, he had us outperforming earlier in the season and as injuries hit, we faded away this happens to every team every season outside the big budget six.

But some of the negativity thrown at him is beyond a joke, it’s embarrassing as a club that as soon as we have any adversity we call for a manger to be sacked.

This is one of only two seasons in the last 10 years  we haven’t moved forwards as a club - the other season being the season after winning the PL.

Every other team in the county bar Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool would love to have had our continual progress over that time and everyone would love the success we’ve had over the last 3 years.

It isn’t possible or reasonable to expect to not have a set back season where we reassess the squad and move forward again. Throw into the mix the injuries which some seem happy to ignore.   This season we will finish in the top 10 again and have a reasonable chance of further silverware in Europe.

As a supporter base, we have to be amongst the worst for wanting managers sacked and being miserable.

Anyone over the age of 30 has possibly seen the best 3 managers in the clubs history and more success than all previous generations put together and still all 3 of them have faced calls to be sacked by some of our miserable ungrateful supporters.

When were we outperforming this season? We've literally about 2 good games and that was mainly due to how poor the opposition was

33 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

You don't have to be staunch Brendan in or Brendan out though. There's an infinite amount of middle ground. The portion that just sticks militantly to "this is as good as it gets everything is absolutely fine stop moaning" aren't helping anyone. 

But the flip side of that is that Rodgers being blamed for everything, is also very tiring. 

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

I don't think this is true.  Football fans are the same, nationwide, but we're no better;

We have seen a clamour for Rodgers to go, mockery and over the top assessments of his talents or lack thereof.  I have my concerns about him too but one thing I have noticed is, that a lot of regular posters are not appearing at the moment.  It is difficult to find anything positive to say about this season and I thing many more reasonable posters are staying away.  That leaves a lot of the more excitable crowd making all the noiseand making them appear representative of the fanbase.  I think there is a silent majority out there looking on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

Far too rational post for this forum.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Very true. I really don't understand where this binary way of thinking has come from. I saw a comment from someone that was along the lines of "if you think that Brendan Rodgers should leave then you are not grateful for the FA cup victory". How does anyone come to that conclusion? Why do people think that it is always personal? I just want what I think is best for Leicester City. 

In some cases the manager has become bigger than the club. It started for us with Ranieri, now Rodgers, you are seeing it with Leeds and Bielsa. The ambition of the club should always be to improve, you can't let a manager just stay out of sentiment if they aren't doing the job expected.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, inckley fox said:

I agree with you here. There are those who are incredibly impatient, and have hugely-inflated expectations built-up by Rodgers' own achievements. People who can't credit him with the FA Cup, or finishing 5th twice (because it should have been 3rd or 4th, and can't see that those finishes occurred in spite of having relatively limited resources). I hate hearing people bleat about entitlement, because it can come across as being a bit unambitious, but on some occasions I think entitlement is the right word. 

But some of the arguments in his defense, and the excuses he offers, are equally annoying. Repeatedly saying we're a young side (at times when we've just played a younger team). Bemoaning the fact that he only had two of his own players in the side against Forest, when he had nearly 100m-worth of his own signings (deservedly) sat on the bench. Crowing that he could always trust his players to give 100% one day, then publicly asking whether they really wanted it a few weeks later.

There's a more convincing case questioning Rodgers than the media would have you believe: The links to Man U. The mixed batch of signings over the last year. The gradual decline in our physicality, defending and set-piece defending. The number of goals we concede as a result of risky possession in our own half. The tendency for the side to just mentally crumble in a way we've rarely seen. Even our injury record, when it's so bad for such a sustained period, and when we've known players to be in need of a rest, should reflect on him to an extent. There are valid reasons to believe that all is not well and that methods need to be rethought, even if, like me, you respect the manager's achievements and hope that he's not yet reached the end of the road.

That is a fantastic post. 

On 26/02/2022 at 12:18, ttfn said:

It’s not comparable to winning the cup winners cup.

Winning the cup winners cup invariably meant beating some of the best sides in Europe. 

Manchester United Opponents when they won it 1991

Pécs

Wrexham

Montpellier

Legia Warsaw

Barcelona

Other then Barc hardly the best sides in Europe. 

When Arsenal won it. 1994

Odense

Standard Liège1

Torino

Paris Saint-Germain

Parma 

Once again PSG and Parma decent the rest? 

When Chelsea won it. 1998

Slovan Bratislava

Tromsø 

Real Betis

Vicenza

Stuttgart 

Once again hardly elite.

I'd say it nearly on par quality wise 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Pécs

Wrexham

Montpellier

Legia Warsaw

Barcelona

Odense

Standard Liège1

Torino

Paris Saint-Germain

Parma 

Slovan Bratislava

Tromsø 

Real Betis

Vicenza

Stuttgart 

Once again hardly elite.

You look at that and begin to realise just how much difference the amount of money in the game has made, since, not just in the Premier League, but elsewhere, too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Pécs

Wrexham

Montpellier

Legia Warsaw

Barcelona

Odense

Standard Liège1

Torino

Paris Saint-Germain

Parma 

Slovan Bratislava

Tromsø 

Real Betis

Vicenza

Stuttgart 

Once again hardly elite.

I’m not suggesting that every round involved beating sides that were winning their domestic leagues, I’d have thought that this was obvious given that the Champions of each country and the European champions went into a different competition.

I’m suggesting that the standard of teams winning their domestic cups in top European leagues in the 90s and earlier was comparatively higher than the teams finishing 7th in the big 5 leagues or finishing 3rd in mid-tier leagues in Europe. This is surely self evident?

It was also a competition that for a long time (possibly for its entire existence) that was given precedence over the UEFA Cup - ie if you won your domestic cup but finished in a uefa cup qualifying spot you went into the CWC. The UECL is demonstrably a lower class of competition than the UEFA Cup’s successor.

As for the examples you’ve picked out, 97-98 seems to have been quite poor (but still had teams from 2 “big 5” leagues who went on to finish 4th) but 93-94 featured a PSG side that won that year’s French top flight and had arguably the best player in the world in their team, Real Madrid who finished 4th in Spain, Bayer Leverkusen who finished 3rd in Germany and of course Arsenal who finished 4th in England. And 90-91 illustrates my point better than I thought imaginable - it featured the teams that would win that year’s Italian, Spanish and German titles, 2 of whom went on to contest the following year’s European Cup Final at Wembley. I’ve not even gone into the “smaller” nations’ representatives’ performances but there were a lot of comparatively strong sides from Eastern Europe at the time who made those competitions harder to win than it seems looking through a 2022 lens.

We are the favourites for this year’s UECL and even the most optimistic fan would be surprised to see us finish above 8th domestically this season. Roma are second favourites and are currently 6th in serie a, 6 points off the top 4. Marseille and Rennes are going well in the weakest of the big 5 leagues. Realistically this year’s UECL would be one of the weakest line ups in Cup Winners’ Cup history, without the 30+ years of history and prestige that came with winning that trophy.

Maybe in time the prestige and quality will find its way to this competition. I’m not saying I’d turn my nose up at winning it (especially as it is a viable route into the Europa League next season), I just don’t see the quality as comparable to the CWC.

Edited by ttfn