Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Dames said:

If he does end up staying he absolutely cannot have any involvement in transfers. He lost all those rights this summer with those 2 complete duds. 

Even those transfers have mitigating circumstances.

If Fofana wasnt injured, what would have been the point of signing Vestergaard? We would have had three top quality centre back options at that time if all fully fit and then a fourth option who would have barely played would have been someone like Amartey. Vestergaard was just a short term experienced man to bolster the defence. Hasnt worked clearly.

Bertrand again was more of a short term thing due to injuries, and cost. Im sure he sees Thomas as one day being the finished article either as a first team regular or rotation option but either way a key player. But perhaps not yet. But hes learned hes a better option than Bertrand already. Its not like Bertrand was a £40 million mega flop, would be on small wages, small sign on fee etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

In my opinion we need a manager, not a coach! You can employ a great first team coach under a manager, like we did with Martin O'Neill.

I think it would be best to get away from the new manager / coach type and go back to an excellent man manager who is tactically astute!

I guess it all depends on funds and ambition, seeing as we pay £12 million a year currently, we can actively go after pretty much any coach outside of the (assumption) top 10 coaches paid worldwide?

I'd take Mourinho (if he is wiling to leave Roma, or Wilder, Conte (Salary) if Spurs continue to be Spursy and he leaves which I expect. I am not really an expert, but who is at picking managers lol, but I have a philosophy at least.

We are an exciting proposition for a top manager these days! We should have a plan to be successful, but realise that we wont be a success by copying what other do, that isn't how we got to our current position. We have an amazing project for someone competent to pick up and develop. We HAVE to get the recruitment right, then have a manager who inspires, then we will be back in the top 4/6, in my opinion.

...Conte and Mourinho would be about them, and their machinations!!!

Wilder leaves a bug question mark against his name. We do need a manager from Europe, someone with a broad understanding and approach to the game as we aspire to be competing in Europe for a very long time.

24 minutes ago, Smashing-Pumpkin said:

Even those transfers have mitigating circumstances.

If Fofana wasnt injured, what would have been the point of signing Vestergaard? We would have had three top quality centre back options at that time if all fully fit and then a fourth option who would have barely played would have been someone like Amartey. Vestergaard was just a short term experienced man to bolster the defence. Hasnt worked clearly.

Bertrand again was more of a short term thing due to injuries, and cost. Im sure he sees Thomas as one day being the finished article either as a first team regular or rotation option but either way a key player. But perhaps not yet. But hes learned hes a better option than Bertrand already. Its not like Bertrand was a £40 million mega flop, would be on small wages, small sign on fee etc.

We still needed another centre half, even without Fofana's freak injury. Look at last season, Fofana got 2 seperate hamstring injuries, Soyuncu had one serious injury and Evans was out with niggles and then that horrible ongoing foot injury. Morgan was also very unreliable fitness wise.

Our squad just cannot be relied upon in recent years, people will stick up for Rodgers that it isn't his fault but whatever is causing this, it's just unsustainable. We cannot name more than 25 players in squads, nor can we afford to carry a load more under 21 players good enough to play in reserve just on the off chance we maintain this horrendous run of injuries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichMC24 said:

I'm pretty positive about it all really. 

Football managers can't simply discard their entire philosophy just because things aren't working very well.   Rodgers has a clear, preferred way he wants his teams to play and over the last three years we have seen our best sustained period of success.  I think most sensible people would have taken successive 5th place finishes and an FA Cup win had Rodgers offered that when he signed.    I get the disappointment of dropping out of the top 4 but I don't subscribe to the "bottler" tag at all.  Staying in the top four is stupidly hard.  That's why no-one outside the top 6 generally ever get in there.   It's a testament we ever got close.

Clearly this year, injuries have disrupted the season.  Rodgers has tried to instil his preferred playing method into available resources but this hasn't been very successful.  Credit to Rodgers though as he hasn't stuck doggedly to his game plan, he has adapted.  That adaptation might appear slow to football fans, but as a manager, it's unwise to make sweeping changes to tactics mid-season or to keep chopping ang changing every game.  Footballers need clear direction and continuity - need time to adjust and develop themselves to suit a certain style.  You don't just throw that all away because results are bad.  Rodgers though has made tweaks, playing more direct at times, defensive setups, pushing out to the wings when Vardy isn't playing rather than through the middle.

I can't really understand the Rodgers out brigade.  It's a frustrating season but this isn't the same as Ranieri 2nd season, or Puel.  We were obviously going in the wrong direction then and needed to change.  For me, we need to finish as strongly as possible, get our players back, have a good summer, freshen the squad and I'm looking forward to enjoying a better season next year.

Definitely a Rodgers in guy.  You never know when you'll be lumbered with the next Peter Taylor.

...you are always going to have the "... better stay with what you know", mindset!!!

There were many posters saying that we should keep Puel and a very toxic forum continued until he was finally out of the door.

What we have achieved under Rodgers seems to have vindicated the calls to oust him, so you would say, that was the right call, the club chose to make.

Why do we now fear a change in a manager, that, clearly struggles to take us to the levels we aspire to, and seeks to blame all around him as a matter of course. 

The fanbase fears getting the next move wrong, it is a calculated gamble, and it may or may not elevate us.

We cannot afford to standstill and hope due to fear, in this game standing still is being left behind.

His two main weaknesses for me wanting to have to much say in areas where he's clearly not as good as the people that have been at this club before him. He absolutely caves under any pressure.

Since Forest I think he's basically found himself in a no lose situation and we've been seeing the kind of football that you see under a confident Rodgers. Not a particular surprise. Once he feels like he's got something to lose though, he reverts to making really weird team choices and just destroying everything.

Our injury record has to be the worst in the league by some way.

The transfers that...shall we say, go against the very clear strategy we have, have been most awful and a waste of money.

A pressure free Rodgers has his teams playing with no panic and allowed to express themselves, this is what we're seeing now.

Eventually though, pressure will mount again and we'll see the same meek performances and him blaming everyone under the son. I don't think he has the make up or personality of a top manager, but he's quite clearly a top coach.

I'd like to think the club feel they can improve on this as I don't think Rodgers is suddenly developing the required characteristics to take him to the very top any time soon.

Either that or renegotiate his contract so he has less say in the recruitment and medical side of the club, as well as shaving 50-60% off his salary.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jackubu said:

We have improved for sure, I dont dispute that. But we were not defensively strong last night. There was a moment Thomas was tracking a runner in the box (think lennon) and Soyuncu tried to make him abandon him to focus on the overlap; where's the logic there? A team who could attack beat us last night. 

That corner right after we scored they could've levelled it, no thanks to Ndidi's weak marking and Kasper's complete lack of ability to deal with aerial balls. Shoulda woulda coulda/it works both ways re Pope's saves I know, but even more reason not to get carried away. Fine margins.

2 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

I'd take Mourinho (if he is wiling to leave Roma

Why? I wouldn't in a month of Sunday's at this point. That would be suicide for where this team is at the moment imo.

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

That corner right after we scored they could've levelled it, no thanks to Ndidi's weak marking and Kasper's complete lack of ability to deal with aerial balls. Shoulda woulda coulda/it works both ways re Pope's saves I know, but even more reason not to get carried away. Fine margins.

Why? I wouldn't in a month of Sunday's at this point. That would be suicide for where this team is at the moment imo.

Could you expand on that mate please?

38 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Conte, Mourinho or Wilder lollollol 

I was asked to make suggestions, I knew at least 1 poster would take the mic, that's fine its just a football forum. I don't see why hiring proven winners / overachievers would be an issue?

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I got banned for a day when the rumours Rodgers got the sack were circulating, for saying: "I hope it isn't true" - clearly there is an anti-Rodgers mod or two on here. 

What good is a poll? Today you get one result and if we lose to Leeds you get another. Its just sentiment based on results. The debate on here is about the medium term future of the club. Almost everybody on here talks sense and many valid points are made but predicting the future in football is extremely difficult. I have said that Rodgers will keep us mid table or a bit above in the near future. He will be unlikely to win any trophies but without the financial clout of the big clubs that is not really his fault. We can qualify for European football now and again. The only club who can break the stranglehold and sustain it I reckon is West Ham but people have been saying that for sixty years and it ain't happened yet.

33 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Neither Conte nor Mourinho would come here, plus Mourinho is finished anyway. Wilder is nowhere near Rodgers' quality, what would the point be in sacking BR and getting him in? 

They're just funny suggestions to be honest lol 

Yeah but your opinions are as much facts as mine are.

Mourinho is arguably the best manager Europe has seen in the last 20 years. Finished? I find that odd, because he is in a top job getting paid £7 million, I wish I were as finished as he is.

Conte may, you don't know this, we pay an excellent salary, we have an interesting project, he went to Spurs FFS!

I am happy to suggest that what Wilder achieved at Sheff Utd, was much more than Rodgers has ever achieved considering the budgets & players they have had in their careers, and the clubs who have employed them.

Just now, Kilworthfox said:

Yeah but your opinions are as much facts as mine are.

Mourinho is arguably the best manager Europe has seen in the last 20 years. Finished? I find that odd, because he is in a top job getting paid £7 million, I wish I were as finished as he is.

Conte may, you don't know this, we pay an excellent salary, we have an interesting project, he went to Spurs FFS!

I am happy to suggest that what Wilder achieved at Sheff Utd, was much more than Rodgers has ever achieved considering the budgets & players they have had in their careers, and the clubs who have employed them.

I hate to say this through fear of getting absolute pelters but most, if not all managers would pick Tottenham over us if that was their choice. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I hate to say this through fear of getting absolute pelters but most, if not all managers would pick Tottenham over us if that was their choice. 

You may be right. Take emotion away, they have more money, London is obviously a pull for footballers, I'm not suggesting it any different to you, but how do we know what motivates different people? We don't, it's just a suggestion, it's not like we are the LCFC of the late 2000s is it. 

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

You are absolutely right in most situations - however it does depend on the manager. Spurs have the "London pull" yes, but are they are well ran as a football club? Who would you want as your boss, our owners or Levy? I think the "London Pull" is more of an attractive proposition to players rather than managers. 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

You can’t seriously believe that 1. Mourinho is the same manager he was, 2. That Conte would come to us (he went to Spurs because of £, working with players like Kane and Son, London and the stadium) and 3. that what Wilder achieved at Sheffield United is enough to say that he’s on the same level as Rodgers.

Rodgers has won more, managed a better calibre of players, managed in Europe and done all this whilst playing a much more attacking brand of football. 

I like Wilder, but that is just crazy. There’s a reason the bloke is at Boro and didn’t get another Premier League job. 

Also, it’s just funny seeing those 3 names banded together as suggestions, like they’re a similar quality of manager. 

Fair enough, I don't agree. You are entitled to those opinions 🦊👍🏼

5 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Why is it that as soon as we win a game for the first time in quite a while the 'humble pie/I told you so' brigade are out in force? Most people who have criticised Rodgers do not have an agenda against him. If they were to be given a straight choice between Rodgers turning it around or a new manager coming in and turning it around I'm sure they would rather Rodgers turn it around, they are just having doubts on whether he can do it. People are more than happy to be proven wrong because it ultimately means that Leicester City are doing well, which is what we all want. Yesterday's win came as a big relief and I was over the moon that we got the three points. I also believe that he managed the game much better than previously with his approach and substitutions. He has the rest of this season to really prove his doubters wrong and as someone that was leaning towards thinking that he shouldn't be our manager next season, I hope he does prove them/us wrong. 

I agree on the whole...But we have on This forum and it shows through their posts,

they Kicked off es soon as Rodgers arrived, & even during unill now, his & teams

highs...This alone puts doubts in others, and then they start looking & disecting/analysing every movement moment in players & managers  make-up...

And then from the more balanced supporter, the thought of 'campaigns & Agendas' automatically comes to mind....so much so that a decent debate 

becomes nion impossible,because though some decent points are made, they Dont believe the the hen-pecking OTT thoughts & reactions deserve continual

reactions or petty- arguement... Negatives , errors & mistakes are easy to chase. This is shown when the same negative posters get on the case of young or

new Players like Thomas, or long-term repetative injured players,like Maddison & Barnes...But give players like Ricardo & Ndidi more space.....

Then deny that our injuries to 80% of the squad are not high mitigatIng circumstances ,Quality

and mention & compare the situation to the likes of higher quality squads of L'pool, Man.city, etc

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

What good is a poll? Today you get one result and if we lose to Leeds you get another. Its just sentiment based on results. The debate on here is about the medium term future of the club. Almost everybody on here talks sense and many valid points are made but predicting the future in football is extremely difficult. I have said that Rodgers will keep us mid table or a bit above in the near future. He will be unlikely to win any trophies but without the financial clout of the big clubs that is not really his fault. We can qualify for European football now and again. The only club who can break the stranglehold and sustain it I reckon is West Ham but people have been saying that for sixty years and it ain't happened yet.

....when does Moyes become an option for a bigger club!!!

If he can sustain what is happening at the moment, he could become a consideration for a top six club.

2 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

Could you expand on that mate please?

He is clearly on a downward trend in terms of what he is capable of doing with a squad. He did ok at United getting them to 2nd, but they'd spent bucketloads and really that was as much a failure of the other teams as it was Man United being good.

More specifically, the way he dealt with players in the public eye has been terrible. I think a bit of tough love publically is necessary after games like Forest, but Mourinho has throwing individuals under the bus and I don't like it at all.

I dislike how Brendan said we were overachievers and then after a few weeks more of terrible performances decided to dig the lads out, but if Mourinho had been in a similar situation you can bet he'd have had 3 or 4 scapegoats already by that point.

I used to really like him but I don't want his stinking attitude anywhere near our club.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Why is it that as soon as we win a game for the first time in quite a while the 'humble pie/I told you so' brigade are out in force? Most people who have criticised Rodgers do not have an agenda against him. If they were to be given a straight choice between Rodgers turning it around or a new manager coming in and turning it around I'm sure they would rather Rodgers turn it around, they are just having doubts on whether he can do it. People are more than happy to be proven wrong because it ultimately means that Leicester City are doing well, which is what we all want. Yesterday's win came as a big relief and I was over the moon that we got the three points. I also believe that he managed the game much better than previously with his approach and substitutions. He has the rest of this season to really prove his doubters wrong and as someone that was leaning towards thinking that he shouldn't be our manager next season, I hope he does prove them/us wrong. 

Spot on in every aspect. 

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

As Brendan is going nowhere soon why do we have this endless diatribe of in/out, who's going to replace him and who do you want to see after he is gone bollocks?

You don’t have to read the thread. Everyone can have an opinion.

• Like 1