Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....they will change from game to game, it is all very emotional as opposed to being objective!!!

I've wanted him gone since Legia away. 

All the wins paper over the cracks, with the players and the support he's been given, he is underachiving, injuries or not. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

Belief in, and loyalty to the manager are rare things these days where club owners (and fans) demand instant results and continuous success. However, the only two serious contenders in the last 3-4 years are those teams that have maintained stability in respect of their managers. While Klopp and Pep have been ruling the roost at 'pool and Citeh, Chelsea, Man utd, Spurs etc have all been at the fairground playing on the manager merry go round, with the result that they simply have not had the consistency to mount a serious challenge to the other two.

SAF had a dodgy first couple of seasons at first, but there is no doubt that Man utd's continued long term success was not coincidental to the fact that he was there for decades. similarly with Cloughie at Forest.

You are however highlighting two of the best British managers of all time. Rodgers is light years away and will never attain the stature of those two and not many would. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

I've wanted him gone since Legia away. 

All the wins paper over the cracks, with the players and the support he's been given, he is underachiving, injuries or not. 

Nonsense, you clearly have an agenda that won’t be moved regardless of results, and that is pure and simply, your problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Nonsense, you clearly have an agenda that won’t be moved regardless of results, and that is pure and simply, your problem.

I've said exactly the same thing for months. 

Yes my agenda is for the club to progress and win something, we are miles away from this, and we aren't heading in a positive direction. 

You may be placated with the odd win against poor sides, but I remain unimpressed. 

A team full of quality sitting in mid table and mismanaged in Europe. He's amazing. 

• Like 4

Just now, Kilworthfox said:

I've said exactly the same thing for months. 

Yes my agenda is for the club to progress and win something, we are miles away from this, and we aren't heading in a positive direction. 

You may be placated with the odd win against poor sides, but I remain unimpressed. 

A team full of quality sitting in mid table and mismanaged in Europe. He's amazing. 

But we haven’t got this team full of quality who are fit, consistently play together, have any semblance of confidence. Now some of this is down to Rodgers,  but I will judge him once he has more players fit, a point we are very nearly at.

If he cannot improve beyond the occasional win, then yes, he should go.

• Like 4

I’m just watching Southampton and they look a really good Premier League outfit. They work hard, press as a unit and attack with pace. Ralph Hasenhuttl has twice had to bounce back from losing 9-0. The saints then went their first 9 games of this season without a win and throughout all of that the board at Southampton have stuck with their manager. Now they’re less than 15 minutes from an FA Cup quarter final and comfortably top 10 and playing well. 

Patience can pay off. Managers don’t always have to be sacked when things aren’t going so well. 

Edited by Jakemoore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Because this is a football forum for fans of a football club to discuss issues concerning said football club. None of us decide on whether Lookman starts over Albrighton or KDH over Soumare, but we still discuss it. They may as well shut the whole forum down if we are all going to take that attitude. 

Bit the repetitive Lack of insite & One Way traffic of only those negative opinions dilutes any chance of decent debate, and hogs the limelight,taking Away

the  daily concerns & positives away from clubs other topics...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

But we haven’t got this team full of quality who are fit, consistently play together, have any semblance of confidence. Now some of this is down to Rodgers,  but I will judge him once he has more players fit, a point we are very nearly at.

You are arguing and asking for something that there's no evidence will happen. It's absolute fallacy to think we're getting everyone back fit without numerous other injuries. Delusion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jakemoore said:

I’m just watching Southampton and they look a really good Premier League outfit. They work hard, press as a unit and attack with pace. Ralph Hasenhuttl has twice had to bounce back from losing 9-0. The saints then went their first 9 games of this season without a win and throughout all of that the board at Southampton have stuck with their manager. Now they’re less than 10 minutes from an FA Cup quarter final and comfortably top 10 and playing well. 

Patience can pay off. Managers don’t always have to be sacked when things aren’t going so well. 

....you will never know when another meltdown is going to happen with him in charge!!!

Very Jekyll and Hyde, Southampton have gone through a few managers and not sure if they are going to get it right. The weird thing is someone like Pardew or Hughes would not have allowed two 9-0 defeats, and they cannot be judged as Premier League quality managers.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

You are arguing and asking for something that there's no evidence will happen. It's absolute fallacy to think we're getting everyone back fit without numerous other injuries. Delusion.

You spend most of your time arguing things will be better when Rodgers goes without evidence. lol lol lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

I’m just watching Southampton and they look a really good Premier League outfit. They work hard, press as a unit and attack with pace. Ralph Hasenhuttl has twice had to bounce back from losing 9-0. The saints then went their first 9 games of this season without a win and throughout all of that the board at Southampton have stuck with their manager. Now they’re less than 15 minutes from an FA Cup quarter final and comfortably top 10 and playing well. 

Fair point, but year long slumps like Rodgers has been part of in the league don't tend to have happy endings. Can't think of many recent occasions when a team has dropped off significantly for a very lengthy period of time and get back to a place of positivity.

He's never successfully rebuilt a team since he was at Swansea and even there he inherited players that he then improved greatly. Likes he's done here, likes he done at Celtic and Liverpool. It's all agreed that a squad overhall is needed and yet he's got a dark cloud over his head from Liverpool and Celtic, the signings there the longer he was at the club are largely horrible. Likewise the injury problems.

So with all that in mind and the poor form, it's no surprise there's plenty who are gravely concerned for our long term future the longer we persist with him. I don't buy in to the notion of giving him the summer and letting him have a few games next season, he either halts this slide and gets us back to averaging 1.6-1.8 points a game and to make a purposeful attempt and acknowledgement to sort out the injury problems, otherwise he has to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

It's true that all managers have a sell by date and 3 years in charge is a good run for a Premier league manager but the squad will be changed next season anyway, whether by this manager or another. We'll probably lose 4 or 5 players this year, we have youngsters coming through.

Time to start a new cycle with a good manager in charge.

I keep hearing things like after a 3 year cycle teams need a new manager to shake things up, however, if you had to name the top 3 managers in top flight football history. You’d probably say names like Ferguson, Wenger, Clough, Paisley, Shankly - all of which had rough periods.

Now, I’m not for one second putting Rodgers in this category of manager, these are the elite level, but all given time to build something special.

MON was many fans favourite Leicester manager of all times, but after 5 years we were still growing, until the point he left and it fell apart.

I firmly believe all clubs are too quick to pull the trigger these days, a little bit of a downturn in form or the start of a rebuilding phase and they’re gone.

7 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I keep hearing things like after a 3 year cycle teams need a new manager to shake things up, however, if you had to name the top 3 managers in top flight football history. You’d probably say names like Ferguson, Wenger, Clough, Paisley, Shankly - all of which had rough periods.

Now, I’m not for one second putting Rodgers in this category of manager, these are the elite level, but all given time to build something special.

MON was many fans favourite Leicester manager of all times, but after 5 years we were still growing, until the point he left and it fell apart.

I firmly believe all clubs are too quick to pull the trigger these days, a little bit of a downturn in form or the start of a rebuilding phase and they’re gone.

That's kinda the point I was making.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

In fairness, there's not been a plethora of fantastic performances or results since that game has there?

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

He's had a squad of quality despite injuries compared to many of our counterparts. Even at the start of the season with a mere 20yr old centre half missing we were hardly convincing even when we scraped a win were we? The problems lie deeper than injuries. The problems started way before this season. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It's the modern game, too much money at stake and also clubs are now often ran in such a way that the long term vision of the club and its model is done by club retained staff not associated to the manager/head coach and therefore that's not threatened with upheaval when regimes change for whatever reason.

It's probably led to a lot of managers who given time could have turned it around but its also stopped many managers who given time wouldn't have improved their clubs and things get infinitely worse. Peter Taylor got way too long and set our club back a decade.

Since Pearson left in 2015, every managerial appointment has improved us in the short term. Ranieri won us the Prem, Shakespeare saved us from almost certain relegation and gave us our most cherished European memory to date, Puel turned around a growing malaise that was starting to rear its head again from the latter part of Ranieri's tenure and although Puel then lost his way after a very good start, he played the bad cop role well in removing some of the PL winning side that nobody dared be honest with and say it was time to go. He made many mistakes, nearly caused serious rifts with Vardy and Kasper and his behaviour with Andy King was really poor but he helped set the path for Rodgers who immediately turned the squad Puel built/had built for him by Rudkin and Macia and for the first 2 years we were pretty much liquid gold. It's now gone very stale this last year for the most part, but it's why it's gone this way that's the problem. I'd be willing to give him way more time if he didn't have such a poor record at recruitment and squad rebuild, defensive issues and most importantly the relentless injury problems. 

We're a side like Chelsea that seem to respond well to sacking managers, whether that's luck, whether it's the nature of the squad itself or whether it's just we have owners and directors who know exactly the right time to make a change, however unpopular it might be to fans or the footballing world and yet it largely works. I'll respect the clubs decision on this, even if they opt to keep him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

What ??? How do you get out of bed in the morning mate when it’s such a scary world beyond the duvet 🤣🤣🤣

course we will get a near full squad at sometime 

let it go 

On 01/03/2022 at 22:34, glasgowfox said:

And why should we not...its ridiculous ws have a great first 13 or 14 but never had our full strength back four at any stage.....

Agreed. I just didn't agree with the post saying he has to win a cup.

Rodgers comment that too many players have been here too long is interesting. Of the 14 players used on Tuesday, 9 have been at the club for quite a while but I can’t  see that supporters would be desperate to get rid of many of them. Maybe he was suggesting that squad players such as Perez and Choudhury need moving on or that more elderly players such as Evans and Vardy need to go? Personally I see newer signings such as Vestergaard and Soumare as more of a problem.

Edited by fox in the sox
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Rodgers comment that too many players have been here too long is interesting. Of the 14 players used on Tuesday, 9 have been at the club for quite a while but I can’t  see that supporters would be desperate to get rid of many of them. Maybe he was suggesting that squad players such as Perez and Choudhury need moving on or that more elderly players such as Evans and Vardy need to go? Personally I see newer signings such as Vestergaard and Soumare as more of a problem.

....the way he was talking was that some players have reached the top of the mountain and  he (Rodgers) do not think they have the will to do so again!!!

The mentality of this squad is what he has cultivated, and he cannot see the irony of it all.

The players he is looking for regarding a change of mentality, or to be moved on, are high profile players that has been with us for sometime. He is looking to clear the house of players that are not buying into his ideas and I do have a feeling that we might be somewhat surprised at who he will choose to retain.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 2