Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

11 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Rodgers comment that too many players have been here too long is interesting. Of the 14 players used on Tuesday, 9 have been at the club for quite a while but I can’t  see that supporters would be desperate to get rid of many of them. Maybe he was suggesting that squad players such as Perez and Choudhury need moving on or that more elderly players such as Evans and Vardy need to go? Personally I see newer signings such as Vestergaard and Soumare as more of a problem.

I can't see him even half way suggesting Vardy needs to go! The club is probably planning on managing the latter part of his career -- much like Roma did with Totti.

As for the squad freshening up, I can see Cags, Vestergaard, Perez, Hamza, Tielemans, Nacho, Mendy, Praet, Jaku, and Ward going in the summer. Of those, only Cags and Youri are regular starters. Vestergaard, Perez, Hamza,  and Mendy aren't going to get any game time next year and need to move on. Nacho doesn't fit the system, isn't used as much as he should, and should be able to command a fairly high fee. Ward wants to play, and Jaku is too old. Praet is already out the door.

Evans (and Betrand) are tricky. Both probably won't play that much next season, but with their injuries, won't get a move. They might also be wanted in the changing room. Soumare is in his first year in the Premier League, and won't be disposed of quickly.

Of the development squad, the only one who is obviously ready for the first team squad is Iverson, although it is possible we will see some others get game time in the latter part of the season and be provided the chance to prove themselves. The club is reluctant to loan out people under 20 it seems -- and clubs might also be reluctant to take in teenagers on loan. If I were Ben Nelson, I certainly would have noticed Nathan Collins coming on for Burnley on Tuesday and thought, "That can be me next year."

But it will be the most crucial summer since 2017 -- hopefully, it will go better than that one did.

Edited by MarriedaLeicesterGirl
stupidly put the wrong development gk's name due to brain fart

I've never played football manager but one thing I do know is that shifting and moving players in the real world is very difficult at any level. If they can't make it here its always a level down and that means eating wages and losing investment(transfer fees). The wholesale changes that so many want will not happen. Rodgers or whoever manages will have to make the best out of what we have. Until Seagrave starts supplying us with role players on a consistent basis I don't see the club ever taking wholesale losses on players who may have value. We aren't Manchester City.

I'm really torn on whether I'm in or out when it comes to the end of the season. So many conflicting thoughts. His recruitment record isnt great but we had have worse luck than most in terms of injuries so are we in a bit of a false position? Is he coming to an end of a cycle with us? Could we get anyone better who will kick us forward?

Just feels like such a big summer for us in terms of the rebuild and the difference between challenging the top 6 again and being relegation fodder depending on how well or poorly we recruit.

Someone earning 200k a week at the very top level of the game shouldn't be realising these things in hindsight, he should have been proactively addressing the situation. This is why I find it mad that people want to give him this summers budget and "see how it goes" lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is as well is that most of our players have improved under Rodgers. If he goes, I can see a lot of them wanting to go, too.

Don’t think it sends a great message out to the players in an age of player power (we’ll sack the manager every time you play shit, even if he is a top manager). Look where that’s got Man United. 

Totally agree , if he goes its better for the club if its done in off season we move on kind of way ,   to many of our fans resemble the board at Watford zero respect for the last few years and would happily make us a laughing stock.   You need to be pragmatic and think about with who and where we go next?  what about the players who do we keep who do we bring in and having some continuity.  If we looked like going down id see that reactionary panic might be needed just to shake it up but that's not where we are at.   What i see is some fans spitting the dummy out with out the faintest idea of a strategy of how to move forward. 

Edited by jamfox

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is as well is that most of our players have improved under Rodgers. If he goes, I can see a lot of them wanting to go, too.

Don’t think it sends a great message out to the players in an age of player power (we’ll sack the manager every time you play shit, even if he is a top manager). Look where that’s got Man United. 

...Peter Taylor gave Beckham and other young players their start in International football!!!

He inherited a good team when he came here, it didn't make him a good manager, another one who could not arrest a slide!

20 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Peter Taylor gave Beckham and other young players their start in International football!!!

He inherited a good team when he came here, it didn't make him a good manager, another one who could not arrest a slide!

The hell are you on about.

• Haha 2

It's a weird one. Looking at the full table we have played fewer games than most of the league yet we are the sixth highest scorers. It's obvious what our main issue is...conceding goals. On paper that is a more straightforward issue to solve with better quality defenders as well as a few structural tweaks. I really don't mind us sacrificing a bit of attacking intent to make us defensively more solid if that is required, we have plenty of quality going forward. Wolves are 8th having scored just 24 goals! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daggers said:

For me it's more the Fergie aspect that keeps me in the Out camp.

Fergie knew you had to continually be renewing the squad, improving areas, eradicating weaknesses every summer. It feels like we've been treading water each season, relying on old strengths and, worse, making makeshift signings. This season has highlighted the poor quality of squad development and reliance on players he inherited to play above themselves, carrying the side to a draw or win despite his tactics.

I simply don't trust him with the purse come June. I think it'll be a disaster.

Fergie had quite a few Baron seasons & if club had reacted to the fans...

That 'sir '...would never of happened

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

It’s much more mad wanting him sacked 

We'll see, how it's shaping up it looks like he's here to stay, so I'm either gonna be eating some humble pie next season or engaging ultimate smug mode :D

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

It's a weird one. Looking at the full table we have played fewer games than most of the league yet we are the sixth highest scorers. It's obvious what our main issue is...conceding goals. On paper that is a more straightforward issue to solve with better quality defenders as well as a few structural tweaks. I really don't mind us sacrificing a bit of attacking intent to make us defensively more solid if that is required, we have plenty of quality going forward. Wolves are 8th having scored just 24 goals! 

We shouldn't have to sacrifice a bit going forward though to be better in defence. For as long as I can remember, we as a team are better on the front foot than playing pragmatic football so I don't want to see us going a little more defensive with the notion it's that that's causing our defensive issues, it really isn't. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We shouldn't have to sacrifice a bit going forward though to be better in defence. For as long as I can remember, we as a team are better on the front foot than playing pragmatic football so I don't want to see us going a little more defensive with the notion it's that that's causing our defensive issues, it really isn't. 

For the most part, I agree. There have been a few occasions this season where we have stupidly overcommitted when it really wasn't necessary.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

For the most part, I agree. There have been a few occasions this season where we have stupidly overcommitted when it really wasn't necessary.

The only one I recall clearly is when the whole team went LEEEEEROOOOOY JEEEEEEENKIIIIIINS against Spurs just after they made it 2-2 lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Fergie had quite a few Baron seasons & if club had reacted to the fans...

That 'sir '...would never of happened

My point is squad development, not trophies. 

• Like 2

On 03/03/2022 at 13:01, pmcla26 said:

All players improved apart from:

Nacho 

Perez

Cags

Kasper

Tielemans

Westergaard 

Too early to say but doesn’t look like they’re better now than when scouted:

Soumare

Daka

Bertrand

Then there’s the players who are arguably unchanged:

Kevin

Vardy

Ricardo

So at best 1/2 the squad have improved. Much like you’d expect from any coach paid £10/m PA for their coaching skills?? 

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Iheanacho has improved under Rodgers, so has Soyuncu, so has Tielemans.

can't really say soyuncu or tielemans have. soyuncu never played under puel and tielemans was class when he came on loan. he also followed that up by a very average season imo.

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

All players improved apart from:

Nacho 

Perez

Cags

Kasper

Tielemans

Westergaard 

Too early to say but doesn’t look like they’re better now than when scouted:

Soumare

Daka

Bertrand

Then there’s the players who are arguably unchanged:

Kevin

Vardy

Ricardo

So at best 1/2 the squad have improved. Much like you’d expect from any coach paid £10/m PA for their coaching skills?? 

Think you are wrong about Nacho.

Under all other LCFC managers 4 PL goals in 51 PL games 

Under Rodgers 19 PL goals in 61 

4 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

can't really say soyuncu or tielemans have. soyuncu never played under puel and tielemans was class when he came on loan. he also followed that up by a very average season imo.

Which sort of disproves your point, he gone from a unused reserve to a first team regular under BR

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Think you are wrong about Nacho.

Under all other LCFC managers 4 PL goals in 51 PL games 

Under Rodgers 19 PL goals in 61 

And yet Rodgers doesn't seem to rate him. I wonder if the Warsaw debacle was increasingly bad.