Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Which sort of disproves your point, he gone from a unused reserve to a first team regular under BR

i guess, but he was never gonna come straight in and replace maguire or evans. can't really say he's improved because we never knew how good/bad he really was in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

i guess, but he was never gonna come straight in and replace maguire or evans. can't really say he's improved because we never knew how good/bad he really was in the first place. 

True, but Rodgers has to take some credit for he's development into a first team regular.

Whether a manager has improved a player is very subjective.

Take Vardy under BR he has scored 57 in 96 games (goal every 1.68 games), compared to 71 in 166 (goal every 2.33 games) under everyone else.

Does that mean his improved him or just the team around him? 

30 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

can't really say soyuncu or tielemans have. soyuncu never played under puel and tielemans was class when he came on loan. he also followed that up by a very average season imo.

He was in the Premier League team of the season in 2019/20, his form in that 1st half of the season was phenomenal. Tielemans has been developed from an attacking midfielder in to a deep lying playmaker who was immense last season after a difficult 2019/20. Both have improved since they came here, although it was quite clear Tielemans was a class act anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Think you are wrong about Nacho.

Under all other LCFC managers 4 PL goals in 51 PL games 

Under Rodgers 19 PL goals in 61 

....was he playing in tandem with Vardy in the games prior to Rodgers!!!

His playing alongside Vardy, where Vardy was the supplier last season under Rodgers, might just skew those figures some what.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....was he playing in tandem with Vardy in the games prior to Rodgers!!!

His playing alongside Vardy, where Vardy was the supplier last season under Rodgers, might just skew those figures some what.

All other LCFC managers had the same opinion too, didn't they?  

Just because a player has improved under Rodgers' tenure doesn't necessarily mean that Rodgers was directly responsible.  Some players will improve simply because it's a natural progression with age and playing experience, this applying particularly with younger players, or they have a character that lends itself to observing games and having the will and desire to learn from them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Iheanacho has improved under Rodgers, so has Soyuncu, so has Tielemans.

1. Iheanacho only improved because he was given regular game time (now after becoming our top scorer he's been benched again, that'll teach him).

2. If Rodgers was responsible for his improvement last season, then presumably he's also responsible for his demise since? Can't have it both ways. Playing him on the extreme left of 3 I would argue contributed to his loss of confidence. 

3. Tielemans, really? And how is he currently stacking up?

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

1. Iheanacho only improved because he was given regular game time (now after becoming our top scorer he's been benched again, that'll teach him).

2. If Rodgers was responsible for his improvement last season, then presumably he's also responsible for his demise since? Can't have it both ways. Playing him on the extreme left of 3 I would argue contributed to his loss of confidence. 

3. Tielemans, really? And how is he currently stacking up?

Rodgers absolutely is responsible for Iheanacho's loss of momentum and confidence, it's a disgrace. He carried it into this season but was on the bench again and having to come on and make an impact which he was still doing. Slowly that's faded away.

I understand Iheanacho is the only play 3-4-1-2 seemed to revel in but there's other systems he should have been used in. 

But Rodgers style of play and football has improved Iheanacho's game, whether that Rodgers himself or just the player developing, it really doesn't matter.

Tielemans has been turned in to a deep lying creative midfielder, he was exceptional last season and will be once again. 

• Like 1

One win doesn’t change my mind on him, however if we can build on this cracking result and put together a sustained run of good form and he shows he can be flexible in his tactics, team selections and substitutions to secure positive results and performances that I would be more than happy to be proved wrong that we have hit our ceiling with him. 

if he does turn this around and earns the right to be here next season, I really hope the club retain significant influence and control of recruitment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

really hope the club retain significant influence and control of recruitment. 

They should take little notice of Rodgers on this and little notice of Foxestalk either. The money wasted in recent years has been ridiculous.

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Iheanacho has improved under Rodgers, so has Soyuncu, so has Tielemans.

Cags? Definitely not.

Tielemans was absolutely quality when signed, maybe improved for a year or so but definitely on a downwards slope for the last year.

Nacho is the one I thought long and hard over… eventually thinking that:

a. Should BR be given credit for playing someone out of desperation, him flourishing and then dropping him in the form of his life??

b. He must have always had that in him?

c. How’s he looking now??

Today's challenge for Rodgers:

Cope with 6 out of 10 defenders being injured.  One of the cabinet options is the flawed signing Vestegaard. 

Cope with potential new manager bounce.

We are agai st a team who, like us, has an injury crisis.  Leeds'  recent form is horrific.  They leak more goals than a defence full of Vestegaards (I know!  I am exaggerating for effect).

We are on the back of a good win and some reasonable performances.  This is an important game for Rodgers;  he needs a win despite the challenges he faces.

13 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Think you are wrong about Nacho.

Under all other LCFC managers 4 PL goals in 51 PL games 

Under Rodgers 19 PL goals in 61 

Difficult one with Nacho, I’d be completely wrong if it was the start of this season. But what’s happened this season? His blisteringly brilliant form has been mismanaged by BR to the point that who knows if he can get that back?? Right now he’s not an improved player under BR, for me, but can easily see the longer term view that he had.

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Difficult one with Nacho, I’d be completely wrong if it was the start of this season. But what’s happened this season? His blisteringly brilliant form has been mismanaged by BR to the point that who knows if he can get that back?? Right now he’s not an improved player under BR, for me, but can easily see the longer term view that he had.

He does seem to have gone backwards this season, I think he's paid the price of us being a shambles defensively.

For all his positives, he's isnt the best at helping out on that front, and most managers seem to drop those sort of players when a team is have trouble at the back.

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

One win doesn’t change my mind on him, however if we can build on this cracking result and put together a sustained run of good form and he shows he can be flexible in his tactics, team selections and substitutions to secure positive results and performances that I would be more than happy to be proved wrong that we have hit our ceiling with him. 

if he does turn this around and earns the right to be here next season, I really hope the club retain significant influence and control of recruitment. 

...he hasn't managed it so far and doubt that he can!!!

Huge week for Rodgers and we've pulled through it well. 2 clean sheets - one really strong performance at Turf Moor, and one ugly backs-to-the-wall win today which is something we've struggled to do all season. Consecutive wins in the league for the first time since October.

We can now focus on a tough Rennes double header with the Arsenal game sandwiched in between with 6 big points on the board. At Arsenal next weekend, I'd like to see us really attack them and have a go. The Rennes games will be a good, but winnable test for us too.

• Like 1

There is no doubt the players are still playing for Rodgers, we put in a shift today and seeing soyuncu looking confident again and Vardy back we can start to look forward again. Could get out what has been a very average season with a top half finish and winning the ECL still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another sub impact. Iheanacho gets an assist. Lookman did well and gave us a bit of an injection of pace down the right. 

Think he initially set up well - only change I may have made is to start with Lookman at RW and Albrighton at RB. 

• Like 3