Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

We’ve not had our best side available for 2 years now. I think there are 2 reasons, one is the ridiculous schedule at the start of covid with two many meaningless international matches and condensed seasons. The second is down to the club training and Rodgers bringing back best players too early. after injury. It’s happened to Ndidi, Evans, Ricardo, Vardy and Soyuncu, I hope it doesn’t happen with Fofana too. 

For this I would just accept Brendan continuing provided there’s a good transfer window. He’s going to have to wheel n deal, as King Power is struggling financially. Let’s make the call at the start of the World Cup assuming it goes ahead, 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Was that your reaction after we dominated against wolves? Or did you use the loss as a reason for him to leave? 

Footballs a low scoring game, sometimes the better team wins, sometimes they lose. We didn’t have a great game, but we still won. Our performances have picked up in recent games, we’ve been better defensively and some players are coming back from injuries. 

A lot of us who aren't keen on Rodgers held our tongue after the Wolves game due us playing well and being unlucky. There was some negativity on here but definitely not as much as when we normally lose, especially considering our run of form at the time.

I don't understand why people on here are seemingly not allowed to comment on a game as they see it, this was not a promising match for us, and while we should be happy with the result I think we should be wary of getting ahead of ourselves considering our next 3 fixtures against rennes and arsenal will most likely see us heavily beaten if we play like we did against Leeds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dames said:

We’re in that phase now where he‘s strung a few decent results and performances together and has a decent chance of building some momentum. Will he take it? 

Can't be allowing teams 20-30 shots a game and expect to truly string a good run of results together. The defensive displays in trying to prevent goals has been a real improvement though and vs Burnley we managed to stop them creating much, likewise Wolves but more often than not you win the sorts of games vs Wolves and Burnley than you do away at Randers and the Leeds game.

If we do put a run together then we won't always play well, look at that 8 match winning streak in 2019/20, we had a couple of very mediocre displays amongst some electrifying wins but we are building a semblance of momentum so we have to take it forward.

These next 2 European games should be gone at full throttle and if we have to go to Arsenal with bigger priorities then that's fine and the way to go IMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

In all honesty if Perreira and Maddison had been fit we would be excellent down the right hand side…..there has been so much on here about how crap we are/Rogers must go….in my opinion if those two and wes had played yesterday it’s a very good eleven with loads of options on the bench, one defeat in six, and even that doesn’t seem good enough to get people in a more positive frame of mind, roll on Thursday…..

It's not all about players and injuries though. At the start of the season we had one 20yr old centre half out injured bar long term injury JJ and despite winning,  we were shocking and extremely fortunate to come away with the results. It's been extremely poor to watch and we rightly deserved to be where we were. There has as you rightly say been an upturn in form more recently but we were extremely fortunate against a poor Leeds side who've been shipping goals for fun. One look at the highlights shows how fortunate we were and if they'd had a fit and able striker on the field we could have suffered the same sort of drubbing they've been on the receiving end of in recent weeks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, honeybradger said:

A lot of us who aren't keen on Rodgers held our tongue after the Wolves game due us playing well and being unlucky. There was some negativity on here but definitely not as much as when we normally lose, especially considering our run of form at the time.

I don't understand why people on here are seemingly not allowed to comment on a game as they see it, this was not a promising match for us, and while we should be happy with the result I think we should be wary of getting ahead of ourselves considering our next 3 fixtures against rennes and arsenal will most likely see us heavily beaten if we play like we did against Leeds.

You’re allowed to comment mate. People are just allowed to disagree. No one’s getting shut down here it’s just people questioning other peoples viewpoints. It’s all good.   X 

• Like 2

Regardless of the “performance” against Leeds, the players did their jobs, Kasper is in Garth Crookes team of the week. and as a defence we kept a clean sheet…the last post suggests we could get heavily beaten in our next games,really?we rarely get heavily beaten 1 defeat in 6, if we aren’t positive now, when will we be?

11 hours ago, Dusty said:

Was that your reaction after we dominated against wolves? Or did you use the loss as a reason for him to leave? 

Footballs a low scoring game, sometimes the better team wins, sometimes they lose. We didn’t have a great game, but we still won. Our performances have picked up in recent games, we’ve been better defensively and some players are coming back from injuries. 

And that's the thing with a League campaign, you win some games you shouldn't have done e.g. Saturday, you lose some games you should have won e.g. Wolves.  Sometimes you draw games you should have won - West Ham @ H

Liverpool probably shouldn't have beaten West Ham with the chances and attacks the Hammers had.

Man U should have gone in level or maybe even ahead at the Emirates (obviously they forgot to come out 2nd half and make any effort).

We won 4 1-0's in a row the year we won  the title in Feb/March.

He brought on 2 attacking substitutes Tuesday and we won in a game we were much the better side, we need to cut him some slack.  

For a period of managership you are going to tread water some time as a club.  Footie analogies, swings and roundabouts.

Look at Southampton, struggled much of the season, then a great run of 4 games, Ralph looks like managership is the easiest thing in the world, then they get walloped by Villa.

Cut Brendan some slack in the fallow periods, 2 reasons = 2 5ths & our ONLY ever FA Cup win, beating a decent United side and Chelsea on the way & there is nobody better out there e.g. Ragnick for Solskaer etc.

Yes he's a default conservative, defensive manager, but we are doing ok, could it better - of course, is that annoying - yes, but it happens.

Lets have  a strong finish, 8th or 9th and close in the ECL.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Regardless of the “performance” against Leeds, the players did their jobs, Kasper is in Garth Crookes team of the week. and as a defence we kept a clean sheet…the last post suggests we could get heavily beaten in our next games,really?we rarely get heavily beaten 1 defeat in 6, if we aren’t positive now, when will we be?

To play devil's advocate, because you can't keep on having 20-30 shots a game rained down on you and keep picking up positive results. It's the same mantra that you can't keep playing well and losing. It can happen to a certain degree but no team has ever faced that many shots a game and won more often than not.

We are improving though. Ndidi has started a slight upturn in form these last 2 games and set pieces are a mix of a bit more confidence and good fortune which in time will hopefully see us grow more aggressive and resolute at getting to the ball first. We still kind of hope and pray we clear it rather than have the bloody mindedness to not allow the opposition at all costs to win the first or 2nd ball.

If we can keep building momentum then hopefully we will become a better cohesive team both defending and attacking and utilise our very talented team to win more often than not, which we are capable and ought to be capable of. But if we do keep letting that many shots in then it'll be no surprise if we don't improve and that's all some of us are pointing out.

Some fans get too blinkered by outcomes and won't even consider caution if analysis suggests there's still obstacles to overcome. I'm quietly confident we'll fight much harder than our previous brief upturns we saw in October and December but if we don't then it'll be because of the things some of us have to repeatedly point out.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Sorry - you’re seriously saying a defeat at old Trafford is the end of Rodgers????

The end of the Rodgers project and an acceptance that the current team is in decline. What the club do about that is likely to be based on financial issues. The overarching principle is keeping the club in the EPL , relegation in not an option with LCFC anymore.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

The defining match for me will be at Old Trafford , they were so weak in that second half that the whole spirit has been lost at the club. There is no way we should not get a result there. I don't care about history , we go out and we get the job done. If we lose ,the players and Rodgers will have nowhere to hide and it will probably signal the end of an era . 

35 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The end of the Rodgers project and an acceptance that the current team is in decline. What the club do about that is likely to be based on financial issues. The overarching principle is keeping the club in the EPL , relegation in not an option with LCFC anymore.

You do realise Man U still have the joint 4th best home record in the league?

And the outcome of their match against one of the best team in the world has little or no bearing on our game against them. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

And the outcome of their match against one of the best team in the world has little or no bearing on our game against them. 

I don’t mind constructive debate but some people are deluded !! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I would remind you that Spurs have done the double over Man.City this season. Man.Utd are in disarray ask Keane. There is no excuse for not getting a result here. We can lose to Arsenal because they are playing much better than we are but not Utd.

I'd go as far to say that these two games against Rennes are more likely to define his future than a defeat at Old Trafford, and if I'm honest I don't think they will really make any difference. Rodgers will get at very least until the end of the season, now that being involved in a relegation battle is highly unlikely. I would also be surprised if he isn't our manager at the beginning of next season considering that he still has more than three years on his contract. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'd go as far to say that these two games against Rennes are more likely to define his future than a defeat at Old Trafford, and if I'm honest I don't think they will really make any difference. Rodgers will get at very least until the end of the season, now that being involved in a relegation battle is highly unlikely. I would also be surprised if he isn't our manager at the beginning of next season considering that he still has more than three years on his contract. 

I think, because of the high financial cost, you are probably correct. The club will have to assess whether Rodgers and this collection of players can maintain a safe position in the PL. I think , on balance , they can , at least next season anyway. However going forward a lot of hard decisions will have to be made. A smooth transition to a new , more dynamic set up will need some careful planning. Our iconic PL winners are ageing fast, our much vaunted star acquisitions have been largely well off form or injured. The core going forward seems to to be based around Barnes, Fofana ,Justin and KDH with Thomas and possibly Daka in support. The one man who can really make the transition work is a mature and consistent Maddison who should assume leadership on the field. He has recently shown just this sort of character so I am optimistic about that.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I would remind you that Spurs have done the double over Man.City this season. Man.Utd are in disarray ask Keane. There is no excuse for not getting a result here. We can lose to Arsenal because they are playing much better than we are but not Utd.

You got his number?

• Haha 1

Far from sold that it's some big turnaround. I was happy enough with the Burnley display - think we deserved the win and for the most part kept them fairly quiet, he got it right that night by keeping things fairly tight then going for it at the end with those subs. The games either side of that though, the fact we've won both of those is astonishing given how they went. Put it this way both of them missed more chances than we did at Molineux (a game I thought we were quite unfortunate to lose).

I stand by we've got to seriously improve to go through to the next round.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Rennes has to be the judgement I think. They're a good side, but one that we're ultimately better resourced than and one we're playing because we blew it earlier on in Europe. It's a tough test but I don't really think he's got anywhere to hide for this.

The flip side - if we beat Rennes I'll take us very seriously as the favourites to win the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't be allowing teams 20-30 shots a game and expect to truly string a good run of results together. The defensive displays in trying to prevent goals has been a real improvement though and vs Burnley we managed to stop them creating much, likewise Wolves but more often than not you win the sorts of games vs Wolves and Burnley than you do away at Randers and the Leeds game.

If we do put a run together then we won't always play well, look at that 8 match winning streak in 2019/20, we had a couple of very mediocre displays amongst some electrifying wins but we are building a semblance of momentum so we have to take it forward.

These next 2 European games should be gone at full throttle and if we have to go to Arsenal with bigger priorities then that's fine and the way to go IMO.

There is still a bit to worry about and we've been in this position a few times this season where things look up briefly before slumping hard again. Rodgers needs to to make the most of that momentum no matter what, I feel in the past he's been hampered by breaks and postponements where he's been allowed too much time between games and he ends up doubling down on his philosophy. I agree about The Conference League, it needs to be the focus.