Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I was joshing, people will hold their hands up if he can truly turn it around, and this includes me if he cannot. For me people still underplay the  damage the defence injury crisis has caused. If Rodgers caused this is open to debate, and despite correlations, of which there are many I agree, he has earnt this extra chance once the squad is more complete in terms of fitness.

100% correct

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's done well, this last year has been abysmal in the league though and we've made a pigs ear of a shocking Europa League group and inexplicably capitulated in one of those QF's you mention. All of this is exacerbated by injured and that is almost entirely where I criticise Rodgers and what others try and argue.

He's a good coach, he's given us some sensational attacking displays and if he could keep the squad fit then I'd honestly have very little issue with him here. I've doubts about his ability to put new teams together but I love how he improves players he inherits and he's very pro young players and academy players which is music to my ears.

I can forgive some of the defensive issues as he gets it right plenty of times too and I do think he's learning with the chronic set piece pr9blem he refused to acknowledge for a long while.

BUT this is futile if we continue to get injury after injury. If fans make excuses that it's the injuries that are preventing us from challenging for the top 6 again then they must also accept that whilst that continues we're likely to under achieve and that's what I can't get away from. I want to see tangible evidence of the club improving the handling of players and back it up with less injuries and give us the very best possible chance of continuing this hacienda period we are in.

It's a long way back when the momentum has gone and that's why I'm so desperate to not take what we have built here for granted. Rodgers isn't above that.

Yeah I think it's difficult to lay the injury crisis purely at his door.

Obviously it's an unprecedented situation that can be traced back to project restart. Where players came in with a week or two training after spending months on the sofa. I seem to remember Chillwell, Soyuncu, ricardo, Maddison, Barnes all being out in this period. You then have a condensed pre season so players aren't recovering then another condensed pre season for the euros and you can sympathise with him somewhat. 

It becomes a vicious circle players get injured because they are playing so many games because there are so many players injured. 

18 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Yeah I think it's difficult to lay the injury crisis purely at his door.

Obviously it's an unprecedented situation that can be traced back to project restart. Where players came in with a week or two training after spending months on the sofa. I seem to remember Chillwell, Soyuncu, ricardo, Maddison, Barnes all being out in this period. You then have a condensed pre season so players aren't recovering then another condensed pre season for the euros and you can sympathise with him somewhat. 

It becomes a vicious circle players get injured because they are playing so many games because there are so many players injured. 

Even if that were the case it doesn't explain Rodgers murky record at Liverpool and Celtic with handling his players fitness and nor does it excuse the shocking neglect of Jamie Vardy in the 2 games vs Liverpool in December or the complete disregard for James Justin being out for a year and then after 1 sub appearance he starts 3 games in a week and is screwed again.

Some of us can't ignore that, I wish I could. It would make me enjoy football more than I am doing.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Rodgers apologists.... That's a strange turn of phrase. 

He's not perfect but I do back him and want him to continue as manger. So What am I supposed to be apologising for?

The highest win ratio of any manager in the clubs history?

2 of the clubs highest league position finishes ever? 

The first fa cup win in the clubs 138 year history? 

3 quarter finals (providing we see of Rennes next week) and one semi final of cup competitions?

Seems strange to expect people to apologise for achievement. 

Regarding the two top 5 finishes, he achieved what he should reasonably be expected to achieve given the squad of players he had available to him at the time compared to other teams around him. In fact, there are good arguments to suggest that on both occasions, given the full circumstances, he should have finished 4th and attained Champions League football, which in itself, would have secured more finances, potentially better transfers in and the potential to retain the better players we already had. The fact we didn't attain 4th spot of course had elements of players and injuries as contributory factors, however, I still believe that Rodgers himself was the main protagonist in the failure to achieve it by far.

The talk by some of over achievement buys into the mindset that we're just little old Leicester and should know our place and be grateful rather like media pundits.

This season however, to be fair, I do believe things changed somewhat in as much as our main competitors strengthen their squads exponentially and we were left behind somewhat. Nevertheless, with just one long term injury (JJ) and one 20yr old centre half missing at the very start of the season, the on-field poor performances continued from the previous season's, despite the at times incredibly fortunate results we gained. This was again to me down to poor management. Of course, we since incurred several more injuries but although expectations could be reasonably expected to be lowered, compared to many others, we still had reasonable squad depth. Tactics, formations and substitutions remained poor as did subsequent performances. Rodgers hasn't been judged harshly by a few wacko hot headed supporters for the odd poor performance, it had been happening for a considerable time spanning over two seasons now.

• Like 3

There'll always be those who don't realise how good things are and want change, even if they don't know what that change will entail.

Must be an English thing. Do we stick with security and some of the best times we've ever had or go for the unknown which statistically is almost guaranteed to be worse.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There'll always be those who don't realise how good things are and want change, even if they don't know what that change will entail.

Must be an English thing. Do we stick with security and some of the best times we've ever had or go for the unknown which statistically is almost guaranteed to be worse.

And there'll always be those who fail to grasp that the past is the past and that of the present continues then talking about what was achieved in the past is almost irrelevant. The simple fact is, if he cannot sort the hideous injury problems out there's not a chance we challenge for the top 6 again or the traditional major trophies. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

It makes me laugh seeing people claim that Rodgers has somehow changed drastically in the last few weeks to avoid having to admit that might have been wrong when they were howling for him to be sacked like entitled babies. 

Rodgers hasn't changed he is the what he's always been. An excellent coach and a good motivator who has some limitations and blind spots like being tactically inflexible and a poor defensive coach that if he didn't have he wouldn't be hear he would be at a bigger club. 

In terms of standing in the game and reputation he is the absolute best we could attract, there will be peaks there will be troughs, there will be frustrations but try and enjoy the ride, overall he's done and is doing a great job. 

So we spent a year conceding an average of 2 goals a game. Then we have 3 consecutive clean sheets.

But BR hasn’t changed at all.

Makes sense.

Yours, a cry baby x

4 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There is the other argument, though, that the Prem is a league where you can't rest on your laurels must be continually looking to progress, otherwise you'll get left behind.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

So we spent a year conceding an average of 2 goals a game. Then we have 3 consecutive clean sheets.

But BR hasn’t changed at all.

Makes sense.

Yours, a cry baby x

We kept 17 clean sheets in Rodgers first full season with us including 3 on the trot and that was 2/3 years ago. 

So no BR hasn't especially changed. 

Makes sense now? 

54 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

We kept 17 clean sheets in Rodgers first full season with us including 3 on the trot and that was 2/3 years ago. 

So no BR hasn't especially changed. 

Makes sense now? 

Have you not watched us for two years?? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

A question for the staunch Rodgers apologists, if this injury problem continues next season and as a result we are nowhere near our best then will you continue to ignore that something needs to be done about it?

I for one welcome an improvement in performances and results recently but isn't it all very tainted with what could have been with a fit squad? It's why I'm so despondent about rebuilds and planning as it's all pretty pointless if him and his staff can't stop this horrendous injury problem we have. He'd have to go if this continues next season.

Good to see they've apparently made the head of medicine take the fall in recent weeks, like Congerton there seems to be changes a foot and that its not Rodgers taking the blame for them. However, he then has very little room to hide if it's no better next season.

In all honesty, with COVID, fixture congestion, etc. I give him a lot of slack. If somehow we are in Europe next year, I will give him even more slack, due to that meaning we either finished very, very strong or won a European trophy. Fact is, with the World Cup, the next half-way normal season will be the 23-24 season. If we have European football next season, I expect injury issues to continue.

No Europe next year lessens the fixture issue, but I think he will be expected to fight hard in the cups (which he generally has). But, yeah, if it continues next season as this season, without Europe, it'll be an issue.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2022 at 12:39, mozartfox said:

Morrisons are going need to stock-pile pallet loads of Humble Pie before the season is out.  FT members deserve a discount.

You have just been sacked from your fictional job as Morrisons food hall manager due to the massive overstocking of unwanted humble pies. Customer service has been inundated with returns. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, LaCiudad said:

Rodgers witch hunt back on.

Misguided and inaccurate. Give it a break.

How is it misguided and inaccurate ? Really interested to know the other perspective but all you get back is words like “deluded” “inaccurate” “ungrsteful” etc.

what is it they we’ve seen to suggest this is going to be fine ?

• Haha 1