Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Not changing the pre-planned substitutions was pathetic. So many times I watch us lose and we barely try to get back into it.

Arsenal are a good side in good form but hardly the best side in the world- Watford scored twice against them last week.

Bloody awful.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Has our style of play changed much in the time he's been here? I think sometimes this gets mixed up with us just not performing well enough. The pressing stats seem down but the way we approach retaining the ball is no different. Are you saying possession based football doesn't suit this squad? 

I'm most annoyed that we're over 3 years in to Rodgers tenure here and we still don't have the attacking positions sorted, whether that's a central striker and 2 wide forwards or playing a system that suits the only other forwards to Vardy which is a front 2. We are so weak at right wing and have been the entirety of his tenure. 

All of that is true of course. I think this squad IS capable of some possession based football but not possession seemingly for possessions sake at a snails pace. Slow painstaking possession in our own half inviting teams onto us has been a recipe for mistakes and even mediocre teams started to do to us what we used to do to them and it must have been confidence draining for some of our players also I think. 

Yet, just look at the players we had and still have compared to other squads, that are very capable at playing with pace. The previous two seasons we started this way until suddenly, even with a number of good wins under our belts, philosophy superceded substance, overthinking, dubious decisions and tactics took over from common sense and round pegs in round holes sometimes just for the sake of it. 

As for your thoughts on our attacking positions, what can I say, most people can see it, why can't he?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, chapero82 said:

Actually it’s common knowledge that BR went against club policy to bring those two in

Please provide something to support this common knowledge you speak of. Is it a fact or urban myth ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Has our style of play changed much in the time he's been here? I think sometimes this gets mixed up with us just not performing well enough. The pressing stats seem down but the way we approach retaining the ball is no different. Are you saying possession based football doesn't suit this squad? 

I'm most annoyed that we're over 3 years in to Rodgers tenure here and we still don't have the attacking positions sorted, whether that's a central striker and 2 wide forwards or playing a system that suits the only other forwards to Vardy which is a front 2. We are so weak at right wing and have been the entirety of his tenure. 

Apart from the veteran Algerian Frenchman, which teams in the PL are strong at right wing? It is not a position that most teams in the league seem to think is vital. Sancho , Trincao are not pulling up trees after all. Wide left players like Son and Barnes are far more effective.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Apart from the veteran Algerian Frenchman, which teams in the PL are strong at right wing? It is not a position that most teams in the league seem to think is vital. Sancho , Trincao are not pulling up trees after all. Wide left players like Son and Barnes are far more effective.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham, Leeds, Arsenal, Palace. If Burnley played Maxwell Cornet in his best position as a RW they would be stronger than us too. Spurs have signed a very promising right winger recently too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham, Leeds, Arsenal, Palace. If Burnley played Maxwell Cornet in his best position as a RW they would be stronger than us too. Spurs have signed a very promising right winger recently too.

You mention Palace , Zaha is far and away their most potent forward and he is wide left generally. Benrama is also left sided.

4 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Can't stand it when Brendan praises oppostion players after matches....like yesterday.

It like f*** your own players but congratulate in the media.

Arteta didn't seem to bother or mention our players or team

It reminded me of that scene from Mike Bassett England manager when they start with three cheers for Ramirez after losing 4-0 to the Mexicans.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Has promise Ric but nowhere near Zaha as yet. I'm no fan of Wilf, he is a temperamental and moaning arsehole at times but he is a highly gifted footballer.

Sorry, I wasn't saying Olise was better than Zaha yet but merely pointing out they have a left footed right winger in Michael Olise who would improve us and has improved them this season. Southgate on the verge of calling him up and Chelsea want him this summer.

The annoying thing is we were linked with him last season and he had a £7m release clause 😖

Also Benrahma plays for West Ham at left wing, their right winger is Jarrod Bowen who has been one of the PL players of the season?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry, I wasn't saying Olise was better than Zaha yet but merely pointing out they have a left footed right winger in Michael Olise who would improve us and has improved them this season. Southgate on the verge of calling him up and Chelsea want him this summer.

The annoying thing is we were linked with him last season and he had a £7m release clause 😖

Also Benrahma plays for West Ham at left wing, their right winger is Jarrod Bowen who has been one of the PL players of the season?

I remember you were the one that was saying the most that we should get Olise and we probably will, love to know why it didn't happen.

He would have been the type of signing that we were making in the past.....less then 10m and potential wonderkid

Edited by CrispinLA in Texas

1 hour ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

I remember you were the one that was saying the most that we should get Olise and we probably will, love to know why it didn't happen.

He would have been the type of signing that we were making in the past.....less then 10m and potential wonderkid

I hope we did and that he opted to stay in London where he grew up, but the last couple of seasons we've seemed reluctant to go aggressively in for young and talented but unproven players from the Championship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

....to lose out on Olise would be another missed opportunity!!!

Especially when we could have picked him up for very little.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Hope now that Congerton has left we revert back to purchasing up coming young players who are relatively good value instead of Brendan's preferred choice of buying EPL experienced  players like Perez and Vestergaard who combined cost us 45m and have played a part in the mess we are in this season

We did spend £45 million on Soumaré and Daka so we haven't abandoned that policy.  Any successful team needs a balance of youth and experience. Having said that the balance in the Liverpool and Man.City teams is strongly towards experience.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I hope we did and that he opted to stay in London where he grew up, but the last couple of seasons we've seemed reluctant to go aggressively in for young and talented but unproven players from the Championship. 

Haven't we not just gone for young foreign talent instead, Fofana, Daka, Soumare in the last two season?

Only Championship player we have gone for in the past 3 or 4 year is Maddison.

I would like us to dip in more as KDH and Barnes have shown it a good league for developing talent.

52 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Hope now that Congerton has left we revert back to purchasing up coming young players who are relatively good value instead of Brendan's preferred choice of buying EPL experienced  players like Perez and Vestergaard who combined cost us 45m and have played a part in the mess we are in this season

We have only brought Perez and Vestiguarrd for a fee and Bertrand on a free in BR time here from the PL.

BR has signed 10 player permanent 7 players from outside the PL compared too 3 from the PL, don't let facts get in the way hey?

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

It was in a news article a few weeks back, but I have lost it now 

....thought I could see what was out there!!!

This is a copy from an online article:

Poor recruitment

After the success of winning the first FA Cup in the club's history, there was expectation for Leicester to kick on and really challenge the hierarchy of the Premier League. However, that hasn't gone to plan.

The first issue lies with the recruitment. Normally an area where the Foxes excel, this year has seen gaping holes.

Signings such as Patson Daka and Ademola Lookman have proved to be a success, but Boubakary Soumaré has failed to hit the ground running - though there are still hopes he will live up to his price.

Jannik Vestergaard and Ryan Bertrand have been less than impressive.

Furthermore, the latter two go against the club's recruitment model but as revealed by The Athletic, the two defenders from Southampton were signed by Rodgers himself - who overlooked the recruitment team's advice not to bring them into the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Poor recruitment

After the success of winning the first FA Cup in the club's history, there was expectation for Leicester to kick on and really challenge the hierarchy of the Premier League. However, that hasn't gone to plan.

The first issue lies with the recruitment. Normally an area where the Foxes excel, this year has seen gaping holes.

Signings such as Patson Daka and Ademola Lookman have proved to be a success, but Boubakary Soumaré has failed to hit the ground running - though there are still hopes he will live up to his price.

Furthermore, the latter two go against the club's recruitment model but as revealed by The Athletic, the two defenders from Southampton were signed by Rodgers himself - who overlooked the recruitment team's advice not to bring them into the club.

The directors should not allow this sort of signing, but I guess they were pushed into it after the Fofana injury.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The directors should not allow this sort of signing, but I guess they were pushed into it after the Fofana injury.

....you do not employ a £10m a year manager and not trust his judgment in regards to players!!!

Totally unexpected for him to get it so spectacularly wrong and begs the question, if he was wrong about these two, what else is he wrong about!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you do not employ a £10m a year manager and not trust his judgment in regards to players!!!

Totally unexpected for him to get it so spectacularly wrong and begs the question, if he was wrong about these two, what else is he wrong about!!

You could say the same about the investment in the scouting and analytics team, and the development of a player recruitment strategy.  Why do all that if you are going to ignore it when the pressure is on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

You could say the same about the investment in the scouting and analytics team, and the development of a player recruitment strategy.  Why do all that if you are going to ignore it when the pressure is on?

...if the manager says that he needs to resolve a situation with the season about to start and he himself has identified players that he believes will resolve the problem you could go along with his request, after all he is supposed to be a top level manager and coach!!!

Deferring to him in this instance may have been seen as a risk on an extremely small scale

On 14/03/2022 at 02:16, FoxesWalk said:

I would say he bears at least some responsibility for what is statistically the worst defence in the premier league since xGA stats began… It is fairly impressive we have stayed clear of the relegation battle based on stats and performances. 

83CFBB85-9ABD-4938-82C8-2DCDCFFA12E7.png

I think one problem is that he always tries to use players to play his style and formation, relying on individual brilliance, instead of trying to adjust his own tactics and play his players to their strengths and make sure the team exceeds the sum of the players. Now I am not saying players should not adapt, but the coach does need to take responsibility too. Having said that, I can see Rodgers changing this half year, so I can only hope that he will continue to learn and change himself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Poor recruitment

I think he wings are going to be clipped on this and more then likely why his buddy has been shown the door.

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Poor recruitment

Thanks so much for finding that for me, it was driving me insane trying to find it lol 

• Like 1